PDA

View Full Version : I didn't crash my A-Wing!

Dar' Argol
09-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, as some of you may remember, about 2 years ago I put my wife's 1980 something Nissan Stanza in a Demolition Derby near me. Below is a pic from that time. Well, I'm back at it again. For the past 4-5 weeks I have been tearing apart 2 cars for a demo on Sept 3. My car was a 1988 Chevy Corsica. The other car was my buddies, a 1990 Ford Taurus Stationwagon. A lot of hours, blood, sweat and frustration went into getting these cars ready. Here's a link to the photo album where you can see all of this:

Demolition Derby 2005 (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/darargol/album?.dir=/8fa8&.src=ph&.tok=phkkjnDBAgItZNQk)

It was a great day to destroy cars too! but I didn't get a chance to. See, in all the last minute preperations, we hastily zip tied the battery cables in my car to the firewall. I went out for a parade lap for best in show and the car felt great! Tires gripped, car felt great, and I was ready to roll! So then I had to wait till the evening, the demo is the last thing to happen. Got staged to enter the track, got up to the Start/Finish line. They waved the flag for the pace lap . . . . and I died in turn 1! I thought the car stalled. So I turn off my switches, tured them back on and hit the start button . . . D'oh I'm in drive . . . Park, do it again. Still would not start. Meanwhile a woman in a yellow jumpsuit is running up to me with an extinguisher yelling "Get the F out of your car! Your on FIRE!!" At which point I look to my hood. Black smoke is pouring out of it, then I look at my Battery box, Black smoke is pouring out of there too! I think, "You might want to get out idiot!" They had to stop the pace lap, tow my car off the track, and restart everything . . . *sigh*.

What happened was the zip tie broke, dropping my battery cables onto the exhaust manifold, melting the coating on the cables and crossing them. Kinda can't run when I'm boiling the battery:rolleyes:. Long sotry short, I put temp cables on the next day, and a new battery and it started up right away. So this thing will be put into the next Demo on Oct 15. I'll post the aftermath from that a few days later.

Enjoy the pics!!

Kidhuman
09-14-2005, 01:08 AM
Awesome Dar, I would love to do a demo derby.

JediTricks
09-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Oh man, that had to be the proverbial kick in the crotch! Honestly though, from a totally outside perspective, it is a little funny. ;) You were a 1-man demolition derby. :p I hope you got to at least kick the crap out of the car once you figured out what a simple thing it was. Good luck with the rematch between you and the car!

mabudonicus
09-14-2005, 05:10 AM
yeah, one doesn't get too many chances to say "man, I hope you succeed in ruining you car NEXT time", so I said it...

And what JT said- you're good Bro, SUPA EFFICIENCY!!!
PS glad you're okay :beard:

JEDIpartner
09-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Nice pics, man!!!!

I swear, this story was an eye-roller. I was talking with "Admiral 'Fingers' AckDar'Argol" on the way home last night and he told me about this. YEESH!!!

All I kept think was, Did your wife come onto the track and give you a "Would it help if I got out and pushed?" like Princess Leia??!!! :D

Man... I love this guy! LOL

darthvyn
09-14-2005, 01:39 PM
man, that's too bad... the only thing cooler than a demo derby is a BUS deme derby... have you ever seen a demolition derby with all school buses? it's awesome.

good luck crashing your car next go-around!

Rogue II
09-14-2005, 02:42 PM
I was wondering where you've been. It was probably good that the cable came off before the race started so your car could live to die a more glorified death. It would have been a shame to have a Pinto-style destruction as in the movie Top Secret.

Make sure you wear a helmet. ;)

bobafrett
09-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Maybe you could paint pictures of all the people you hate on your car, and hope they get there images bashed in! That's what I would do! I mean if I had the guts to go out and risk my life and limb like that.

My moms old caddi was sold to a guy who used it for a demolition derby. It came back and was all bashed up, I thought my mom was going to cry, she loved that car!

Dar' Argol
09-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Oh man, that had to be the proverbial kick in the crotch! Honestly though, from a totally outside perspective, it is a little funny. ;) You were a 1-man demolition derby. :p I hope you got to at least kick the crap out of the car once you figured out what a simple thing it was. Good luck with the rematch between you and the car!

Kick in the crotch does not even describe it!! Worse part, I walked back to the pits after they towed my car off, and my smokes were in my buddies LOCKED truck!!! Talk about getting punched, run over, cut off, burned, re-attached, and then kicked! The only damage that is on the car is the passanger side door where I kicked it with my steel toes and a chunk of bondo fell off:D

yeah, one doesn't get too many chances to say "man, I hope you succeed in ruining you car NEXT time", so I said it...

Well, I wish there wasn't a next time and I did this right the fisrt time, but thanx bro!

Nice pics, man!!!!

I swear, this story was an eye-roller. I was talking with "Admiral 'Fingers' AckDar'Argol" on the way home last night and he told me about this. YEESH!!!

All I kept think was, Did your wife come onto the track and give you a "Would it help if I got out and pushed?" like Princess Leia??!!! :D

Man... I love this guy! LOL

No she didn't but that would have been hilarious!!!!

Oh, and I don't think anyone else knows about the fingers part . . . long story short, In June I tried to cut off 2 of my fingers in a Moulder I work on at work . . if you want I can post links to it . . . .

man, that's too bad... the only thing cooler than a demo derby is a BUS deme derby... have you ever seen a demolition derby with all school buses? it's awesome.

good luck crashing your car next go-around!

Actually I have . . . those guys are crazy. I'd love to be either in a Camper Demo Race or a Chain Race . . . those are fun too!

I was wondering where you've been. It was probably good that the cable came off before the race started so your car could live to die a more glorified death. It would have been a shame to have a Pinto-style destruction as in the movie Top Secret.

Make sure you wear a helmet.

Yeah, between working 16 hour days recently and working on these cars, I haven't had much time for anything else . . . like sleep. "Glorified Death" . . . gotta love it. Oh, and helmets are mandatory . . . I'm gonna get a friend of mine to air brush it so it looks like the X-Wing Helmet and I want to find Rebel Vinal Stickers to mark my "Confirmed Kills" . . . anyone got a source for something like that??? I've been talking to my wife about a Racing Fire Suit for next year, concidering that the battery was BURNING 3 feet from me . . . :rolleyes:

Maybe you could paint pictures of all the people you hate on your car, and hope they get there images bashed in! That's what I would do! I mean if I had the guts to go out and risk my life and limb like that.

Thought of that. But with my recent tattoo I decided to go more geeky . . . My last car had on the side . . "I got Hosed by Hi-Lo Auto Sales" which is where we bought that car from. See attached :D

darthvyn
09-15-2005, 12:25 PM
i totally forgot about this, but when the re-releases came out, i was watching them with a couple of people, and in ROJ when the a-wing is going for the bridge of the executor and yells "i'm hiiiiittt!" one of the guys said he wanted the pilot to say (in a completely monotone voice) "there's fire. i'm going to die."

your story reminded me of that.

LTBasker
09-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Be sure to write on the hood over the battery area "It's A Trap!!!" :p

Better luck next time buddy, hope Hank doesn't get hurt. Oh, and you too. :D

JediTricks
09-15-2005, 05:54 PM
DA, you know bondo isn't supposed to be in "chunks" at all, right? ;) At least you kicked it, it deserved a good kick.

Advice you shouldn't have to be told: next time, watch for fire. :p

Dar' Argol
09-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Be sure to write on the hood over the battery area "It's A Trap!!!" :p

Better luck next time buddy, hope Hank doesn't get hurt. Oh, and you too. :D

Don't worry, Hank wanted nothing to do with this. Good thing too, He'd be sitting on the battery . . he he he . . .

i totally forgot about this, but when the re-releases came out, i was watching them with a couple of people, and in ROJ when the a-wing is going for the bridge of the executor and yells "i'm hiiiiittt!" one of the guys said he wanted the pilot to say (in a completely monotone voice) "there's fire. i'm going to die."

your story reminded me of that.

You don't know how hard that mad me laugh!!! Cause when I noticed the fire, in my head in a non-excited voice I thought Hmmm . . there's a fire . . . that's bad . . . . I may want to go :D

DA, you know bondo isn't supposed to be in "chunks" at all, right? ;) At least you kicked it, it deserved a good kick.

Advice you shouldn't have to be told: next time, watch for fire.:p

Personally I didn't know there was bondo there . . . but yeah, I know that. And hopefully there won't be a fire next time . . . . hopefully . . . . . Hon, when can we get that fire suit???

Dar' Argol
10-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Well, I'm back again! All went well this time, no fires, no broken bones. Although my buddy did steal the show. He flipped his Car!!!:D By the A-Wing did much better this time. I made sure all cables and wires were out of the way of all moving parts and hot areas. The only thing that went wrong was the battery died and I finished 8th. If I would have put a second battery with a switch in the car I could have finished much higher. Oh well, improvements for the nexy season. Anywho, I've finished uploading all the pics for it so here's the addy:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/darargol/album?.dir=/91ca&.src=ph&.tok=phA7_2DBgv7jIZ_j

So enjoy . . . I can't wait till next season . . . Crash Crash Bang Bang!!

LTBasker
10-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Hey, you don't look like Qui-Gon anymore! :p Glad things went alot better for you this time around. :D

JediTricks
10-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Your car ain't broke enough, I says! ;)

Also, perhaps the scraping under your car for the lap might have been the missing radiator fan? If so, buy more radiator fans and tie them to the undercarriage next time. :D

Dar' Argol
11-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Your car ain't broke enough, I says! ;)

Also, perhaps the scraping under your car for the lap might have been the missing radiator fan? If so, buy more radiator fans and tie them to the undercarriage next time. :D

I know its not borke enough . . . Darn battery died. I'm gonna run 2 next time with a switch . . . More crashin'

Hey, you don't look like Qui-Gon anymore!

What do you mean??? I've still got the long hair and goatee, just not the 'stash . . he hehe . . you really can't see it in that pic. Go to the Halloween thread, 2nd page . . a good pic there of me.