PDA

View Full Version : Yoda sucks as a General

JimJamBonds
09-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Yup thats right the little green dude isn't a very good general. Something about the battle on Kashyyyk has always bugged me in the way that it is shown. And no I'm not talking about how much of the battle we see (although I wouldn't have minded seeing more :yes: ) what I'm talking about is the 'order' in battle itself. First off the Republic seems to have next to zero organization. Granted I know that they were quickly sent there but everything seems to be in shambles on the beach. There is NO defensive line, the Republic should have had a strong primary line along with a few backup lines. There is next to none of that, there is one small trench but only a few clones are in there and I don't think any Wookies are in their at all. Again there isn't time to set up an "Atlantic Wall" as the Nazi's did during World War II but something would have been better then what the Repulic had. Even the smallest bit of protection is better then no protection at all.

Secondly where was the artillary? I only saw one piece that was left out in the open and quickly destroyed. Next: why were the Wookies allowed to run out and 'meet' the incoming droids? They should have kept cover allowing the enemy to come to them and to wait until they had a firing solution. Running out to meet the droids in the open would only increase casualities. Also why does Yoda have so many clones taking pot shots from the tree's??? Small arms fire from such a distance isn't likely going to do much good, up in those tree's might have been a good place to put some of the heavy guns... although they don't seem to have any. And lastly you can see in the background the Star Destroyer that the clones came to Kashyyyk in, this should have been much farther back. If the droids break through the Repulic's lines they could easily get to their ship. Even if the line is only breached by a small number it wouldn't take much to put the ship in real danger. The ship should have been WELL behind the lines inorder to maintain its saftey.

I'm sure nobody else has thought about this but I've been involved in reenacting and have studied military tactics so I'd like to think I know a few things on the subject. :D

2-1B
09-14-2005, 12:04 AM
"Fighting in desert is very different from fighting in canopy jungle . . . me and Wookiee, eyeball to eyeball."

kool-aid killer
09-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Why couldnt they have used the Star Destroyer during the attack to pound the enemy forces before they reached the beach? I doubt any of the CIS weapons we see would have been strong enough to bring it down.

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Why couldnt they have used the Star Destroyer during the attack to pound the enemy forces before they reached the beach? I doubt any of the CIS weapons we see would have been strong enough to bring it down.

Good point, that would have been another source of firepower.

Quinlain_Vos
02-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Personally I dont think that Yoda was a very good jedi let alone a good general. In fact i feel that he was directly responsible for Anikan's dissension into darkness. As for the Kashyk bit I don't understand why he was even dispatched as that was a mission that i feel would require superior stratagy not just flashy force powers.

bigbarada
02-14-2010, 02:51 PM
This is the problem you always run into when you get movie directors, with absolutely no military experience, trying to film battle scenes. You end up with onscreen armies that could be taken out by a modern day Army National Guard unit.

Warped
02-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Personally I dont think that Yoda was a very good jedi let alone a good general. In fact i feel that he was directly responsible for Anikan's dissension into darkness. As for the Kashyk bit I don't understand why he was even dispatched as that was a mission that i feel would require superior stratagy not just flashy force powers.

Now I belive that Mace Windu had the most to do with it, he had something against Anakin.

Quinlain_Vos
02-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Now I belive that Mace Windu had the most to do with it, he had something against Anakin.
yes but the reason he fell to the dark side was the current jedi regimes archaic viewpoint on the force unlike earlier jedi organizations and unlike the jedi run by luke skywalker. in fact if Luke had listened to Yoda in the empire strikes back he to would have succumbed to the dark side. however i do agree that mace was also a contributing factor.

Warped
02-14-2010, 07:28 PM
I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but I wait for the day when Yoda's past is written. I know he has some Darkside in him.

JimJamBonds
02-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but I wait for the day when Yoda's past is written. I know he has some Darkside in him.

They'll probably incorporate that tree on Dagobah somehow me thinks.

Warped
02-14-2010, 10:08 PM
That tree got some stories behind it. You are right. I remember the 5 min Star Wars cartoon showed Qui-Gon Jinn and Anakin at that same tree.

Quinlain_Vos
02-14-2010, 10:54 PM
They'll probably incorporate that tree on Dagobah somehow me thinks.
ya i have always wanted to know what decisions shaped him into the archaic prick he was in the prequels.

pbarnard
02-15-2010, 10:32 AM
The Battle of Kashyyyk was actually the Republic retaking the planet/repelling a sucessful invasion by the CIS but not quite occupying the planet. That was obvioulsy put in 1-2 years after the movie, but does tend to put things back in perspective. I also wouldn't call it a retcon, because that's the publication date, so the writing/background info available was that Kashyyyk would've been the same as what the filming was using.

JimJamBonds
02-15-2010, 06:45 PM
That tree got some stories behind it. You are right. I remember the 5 min Star Wars cartoon showed Qui-Gon Jinn and Anakin at that same tree.

Wha??? When/what was that?

Warped
02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Wha??? When/what was that?

During the 5 mins cartoons on Cartoon Network. I wanna see if it was just put in there or if Anakin really did go to that tree as a child with him.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-15-2010, 07:24 PM
During the 5 mins cartoons on Cartoon Network. I wanna see if it was just put in there or if Anakin really did go to that tree as a child with him.
There couldn't have possibly been time. Qui-Gon and Anakin went right from Tatooine to Coruscant and then to Naboo; they couldn't have gone to Dagobah as well. I think it was Chux who interpreted that scene as Yoda seeing "the future, the past, old friends long gone," as I believe it was a dream/meditation sequence that Yoda was having.

The Battle of Kashyyyk was actually the Republic retaking the planet/repelling a sucessful invasion by the CIS but not quite occupying the planet. That was obvioulsy put in 1-2 years after the movie, but does tend to put things back in perspective. I also wouldn't call it a retcon, because that's the publication date, so the writing/background info available was that Kashyyyk would've been the same as what the filming was using.
How is that any different from what we see in the film? Ki-Adi-Mundi asks, "What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?" I thought that was pretty clear.

JimJamBonds
02-15-2010, 09:48 PM

Hmm, disturbing this news is!

El Chuxter
02-15-2010, 10:04 PM
It was a vision Yoda had. No way could it have happened, since Qui-Gon didn't take any side trips during his last days.

I said it mirrored the line from ESB because Yoda sees the past (Anakin is a slave boy), future (the exact scene at the tree, only with Qui-Gon and Anakin instead of Yoda and Luke), old friends long gone (Qui-Gon). It seemed to me it was meant to simply be a vision Yoda had, warning him that Anakin was about to go through his true trial on the planet Nelvaan.

Oh, and Yoda might suck as a general, but that's because he's a lover, not a fighter.

2-1B
02-15-2010, 10:10 PM
ESB version 4 is going to have Jake Lloyd's face under Vader's mask when it blows open...thanks a lot, Genndy. :mad:

El Chuxter
02-15-2010, 10:12 PM
No, because Lucas is trying to erase all trace of them, not change the OT to fit them. If anything, Vader's mask will blow open to reveal Ahsoka.

2-1B
02-15-2010, 11:29 PM
pwnd by Chux !

lol

El Chuxter
02-16-2010, 12:49 AM
2-1B, you are now officially my b****.

JimJamBonds
02-16-2010, 06:34 AM
I like how this goofy thread I started a handfull of years ago was dug up by some newbie and has gotten new legs and its being discussed.

Darth Jax
02-16-2010, 07:34 AM
i thought the shovel was earned, not given out upon joining.

pbarnard
02-16-2010, 10:55 AM
How is that any different from what we see in the film? Ki-Adi-Mundi asks, "What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?" I thought that was pretty clear.

It doesn't give circumstance: did they repell that attack, did they fall, are they fully occupied and now resistance fighting etc. If they just repelled the attack it doesn't explain why they weren't more fortified able to use the Vindcator cruisers for support. If they fell but not occupied, it would explain most if not all the circumstances. If they were fully occupied, it would explain something like Quinlan Vos' story from the end of the Clone Wars comic, but not what we see in the movie.

And don't forget in Vision of the Future there's Cardas and the Dark Jedi recalling Yoda's battle with him at the tree.

JimJamBonds
02-16-2010, 03:37 PM
i thought the shovel was earned, not given out upon joining.

Well.... I would agree with you however this thread was dug up to actually talk about it, unlike us hoople heads who just bring them back to life for the sake of bringing them back to life. lol

Darth Awgmon
02-16-2010, 04:53 PM
ya i have always wanted to know what decisions shaped him into the archaic prick he was in the prequels[/I].

Man, that is harsh on Yoda. He's probably my favorite character. Yeah, he contributed to Anakin's fall, but he also assisted in Luke becoming the badass Jedi he was at the end of ROTJ.

Quinlain_Vos
02-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Man, that is harsh on Yoda. He's probably my favorite character. Yeah, he contributed to Anakin's fall, but he also assisted in Luke becoming the badass Jedi he was at the end of ROTJ.
i belive that the only reason luke was able to beat darth vader and in turn the empire was because he defied yoda and his teachings of no attachments. if he had not known when he did that vader was his father he would have succomed to his anger and finished vader at th end of return of the jedi. however i think that before he died he realized that attachments and emotions are the most important aspects of life and a warrior with nothing to lose will never fight as fiercely and with as much strength as a warrior defending what he loves.

El Chuxter
02-17-2010, 03:46 PM
This requires one to interpret Yoda's actions in ESB as being in line with Yoda in the prequels, which is a bit of a stretch. I personally believe Yoda was on Dagobah the entire time, and an inferior character, possibly a short Gungan, disguised himself as Yoda during the prequel era.

2-1B
02-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Except there weren't any puppets produced to play any Gungans in TPM, so that had to have been Yoda. I can't speak for AOTC and ROTS though (the 2nd and 3rd best prequels, by da way ;) )