PDA

View Full Version : Was Dooku really defenseless when Anakin killed him?

Kidhuman
09-14-2005, 12:05 AM
I was watching ROTS today and thought why didnt Dooku blast his gut with some force lightning? Do they need there hands to channel it or can he shoot it from his stumps? If he could why didnt he?

2-1B
09-14-2005, 12:13 AM
He was betrayed by Darth Sidious, he looked surprised when Palpatine said "kill him."

Really though, he should have known better. lol

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 12:31 AM
As Caesar has said I think Dooku should have known better. He allowed himself to be put into a situation that he couldn't get out from. If nothing else Dooku could have force pushed Anakin and knocked him out like was done to Obi-Wan. That would have given him some time to figure out a plan... of course he would still have had to deal with Sidious. (and yes I think he could have gotten out of those 'handcuffs' with no real problem)

Slicker
09-14-2005, 01:19 AM
I was watching ROTS today and thought why didnt Dooku blast his gut with some force lightning? Do they need there hands to channel it or can he shoot it from his stumps? If he could why didnt he?He couldn't blast him with force lightening because the hands are indeed a conduit for it. Force choke and the mind trick are mental things that don't require any motion (i.e. Vader choking Ozzel without moving his hand) but the lightening needs a focal point to be released from because it's a physical force ability. Without a conduit the lightening wouldn't be able to be controlled and would go wherever it wanted.

darth cynik
09-14-2005, 10:31 AM
I understand why he had to die by Anakin's hands for the story, but Tyranus was more than powerful enough with the dark side to defend himself with or without hands; he definitely could have had more fight in him (and I agree, he should have expected to be betrayed when he was). That whole battle between him and Anakin was nowhere near long enough or wild enough, it was over too quick. I'm a big fan of Dooku/Tyranus and I wanted to see him shine again before his fate was sealed... It was pretty disappointing IMO.

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree d c, the fight was waaaay to short. I prefer the way it played out in the ROTS novel (for the most part that is ;)).

Rocketboy
09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
I always wondered why Dooku just sat there slack jawed when Palpatine told Anakin to kill him. He obviously felt betrayed by his master he should have said something, like "outing" Palpatine as a Sith.

Markimus
09-14-2005, 09:20 PM
I've read that Lucas greatly shortened the Dooku fight scene... in fact they did reshoots that made it possible to splice the pieces back together.

Other scenes were also shortened or eliminated... and while I agree with everyone that I wanted to see more more more ! I do admit that shorter movies tend to be better. At least easier to watch, especially multiple viewings - which all Star Wars films demand.

Kidhuman
09-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Either way he shouldnt have gone out like Boba Fett, but I guess every trilogy needs a character like that

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 11:53 PM
I always wondered why Dooku just sat there slack jawed when Palpatine told Anakin to kill him. He obviously felt betrayed by his master he should have said something, like "outing" Palpatine as a Sith.

Dooku does out Palpers in the novel. While I don't mind the idea it seems to happen too early in the film to work for me.

Kidhuman
09-15-2005, 12:07 AM
I agree, he died way too early for my tastes.

Rocketboy
09-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Dooku does out Palpers in the novel. While I don't mind the idea it seems to happen too early in the film to work for me.He does? I don't remember that part.
(I can't look it up because I don't have the novel, but I did read it)

2-1B
09-15-2005, 11:46 PM
I remember that part in the novel, Dooku looks up and says "you promised me amnesty" before Anakin kills him but Anakin wasn't sure about what Dooku said so it remains mysterious.

JimJamBonds
09-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Yup thats right. If Dooku was winning then they were wrong about Anakin and if Dooku was losing he'd get amnesty to 'retire' and lead a Sith army.

kool-aid killer
09-16-2005, 09:06 AM
I remember that part in the novel, Dooku looks up and says "you promised me amnesty" before Anakin kills him but Anakin wasn't sure about what Dooku said so it remains mysterious.

I could see why Anakin would be confused by that, since he isnt aware of Palpatines true allegience. For all Anakin knows that wonderful Palpatine fellow may have been trying to convince Dooku to stop his part in the Seperatist movement by promising amnesty to him, and maybe Dooku was buying the notion.

I think Dooku was helpless against Anakin. He no longer had a lightsaber, nor hands to wield one. Given his past experience with Anakin he probably thought he could win in a lightsaber battle, and finally by all things ive read Dooku was one of the premier lightsaber masters of the time. If anything he was shocked and scared to see how quickly the tables turned on him. Dooku had no chance to crawl back into the fight.

Rocketboy
09-16-2005, 04:29 PM
I remember that part in the novel, Dooku looks up and says "you promised me amnesty" before Anakin kills him but Anakin wasn't sure about what Dooku said so it remains mysterious.Ok, I see. I remember that part. I assumed the amnesty part was supossed to make Anakin think Palpatine tried to talk Dooku into giving up and offering a deal.
What I meant what why didn't Dooku call him Master Sidious or something.

Jayspawn
09-21-2005, 10:23 AM
It seemed to me that Dooku was more shocked than anything that Anakin disarmed him. Dooku the whole time was pushing Anakin on and he seemed to be enjoying the fight. So when Anakin disarmed him it was over as far as Dooku was concerned. It was the last straw when Palpatine says "Kill him."

JimJamBonds
09-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Anakin decided to follow Dooku's advice, he used his hate and anger. :)

darthvyn
11-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Either way he shouldnt have gone out like Boba Fett, but I guess every trilogy needs a character like that

okay and we had that (read: darth maul) so what purpose did dooku serve? basically they both bit it like chumps... between the two of them and ventress, palpatine has not had a good track record with apprentices.

JimJamBonds
11-01-2005, 11:30 PM
okay and we had that (read: darth maul) so what purpose did dooku serve? basically they both bit it like chumps... between the two of them and ventress, palpatine has not had a good track record with apprentices.

I don't think Palp's really cared, he knew Maul was just a plain ol brute, he did his thing, got wacked and that was the end of that. He then needed somebody who could ralley systems to his cause and that was the reason for Dooku. Then he found a better canidate and got him under his wing (Vader) then down the road he finds somebody that would be better then Vader (Luke) but that didn't seem to work out to well for him. :D

El Chuxter
11-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Ventress was never more than a Force-using tool, though. She was never an apprentice. If you're gonna bring her up, use all the EU information at your disposal, vyn, jeez. :crazed: