PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody have Channel 1 in high school?

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Jedi Partner's 'tar (Anderson Cooper) has caused me to fire up the way back machine and think back to my time in high school. At my school we had a 15 min. news program every morning that for school aged kids and was reported on by young people.

Now at CNN, Anderson Cooper was the guy that always seemed to be sent to some place where his life always seemed to be in danger. We joked that the people at Channel 1 must have been trying to kill Anderson. Two others from my time have gained national attention: Serena Altschul was on MTV, I belive now she's a reporter for CBS News. The other alumni of note is Lisa Ling who is best known for being on The View.

Kathy Kronenberger, Craig Jackson, Rawley Valverde are a few of the people that were on the show during my 'time' that I remember. Whenever I see an old Channel 1 reporters I almost always laugh and think back to my time in school. Did anybody else out there have this new show shown in their shool?

Slicker
09-14-2005, 02:53 AM
Heck yes I had Channel 1. When I first read the title I immediately thought of Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling (very yummy :yes: ). I thought the show was a waste of precious school time but what do I know I was only a student.

Exhaust Port
09-14-2005, 07:49 AM
When did Channel 1 start? I remember we had it right after they installed TV's in our high school back in '89 or '90.

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 09:37 AM
I believe Channel 1 started in 1990 from what I saw on the web. And you're right Slick it generally was a HUGE waste of time. Although at my school we watched it right away in the morning before first hour/period so that was 15 min. to get whatever homework you forgot to get done... done. lol

2-1B
09-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Channel One was a cherished staple of my Homeroom as well, from 1992 - 96. In fact Jim Jam, you were in that freshman homeroom with me.

Anderson Cooper kicked all kinds of *** while Serena and Ling both had me at Hello.

Do you guys remember back around 1995 when they had Charlie Talbert aka "Angus" as guest news reader ? That was awesome.

Too bad our school was never chosen for the Friday Goodbye. :(

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 01:56 PM
I remember one time Anderson was over in Bosnia (I think thats where he was) and he was meeting up with a group of rebels or something and he turned to the camera and said something like "no cameras or I'll be shot." Looking back now I'm sure it was probably a serious moment but that didn't stop us from making fun of the guy back then for such a corny line.

sith_killer_99
09-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Yes I remember Channel 1 from 1990-93 (I graduated in '93).

World news in the class room.

Was it a waste of time...well it seems to me that the general population at large is pretty ignorant about real world events, but what do I know. I remember watching all the displaced refugees from the first Iraq war on Channel 1. Not that many people remember what a problem that was 15 years ago.

Maybe Channel 1 would have been less of a waste of time had it been replaced by FOX News...LOL, JK.

BTW, has anyone been watching the John Roberts confirmation hearings on C-SPAN. Yesterday Ted Kennedy...nevermind..:rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 11:24 PM
BTW, has anyone been watching the John Roberts confirmation hearings on C-SPAN. Yesterday Ted Kennedy...nevermind..:rolleyes:

Nope, but I've heard some sound bites of him on the radio. They were quotes of him saying "John Roberts needs to tell the public etc. what his thoughts are on the various issues." Ummm duhhh!

Jayspawn
09-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Haha! I had Channel 1 in High School!!!! I hadnt thought about it since the day.