PDA

View Full Version : little Japanese remote control R2-D2 (merged)

JediTricks
07-02-2005, 05:47 AM
I'm not a Hyperspace member, so I couldn't order it till today, but as soon as I woke up this morning I placed my order: http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=103950

It looks really neat, I like the idea a lot and can't wait to try it out. It rolls, turns, beeps, the radar eye lights up, and the dome turns as it goes, I can't wait to check that out. They had to make the middle leg turn which isn't accurate, but I will forgive. Price didn't seem that outrageous at $20 since these little micro R/C's sell in the US for about $15 at this level, but shipping at $7 was a sad element and because I'm in CA they charged me tax on the toy AND the shipping/handling.

So, anybody else get in on this little item?

DarkArtist
07-02-2005, 09:43 AM
I think I am going to order two of these, both me and my niece are big R2-D2 fans. Everytime she comes to my house she immediately goes to where my figures are and proceeds to grab every R2, R3, and R5 i have. She makes them line up like a parade and has a tea party with them...it's cute. I think she will get a kick out of the r/c version :) :)

Rocketboy
07-02-2005, 10:52 AM
That's awesome! And it's only 2 1/2" tall!
When I first read the post, I imagined it would like 6" to 9".

Reefer Shark
07-02-2005, 03:54 PM
I ordered one yesterday also. I would have gotten two, but after tax and shipping it came to just about $30 just for the one.

I'm curious to see if it really does everything they say it does...

Jayspawn
07-02-2005, 11:15 PM
I'd really like to try one out first -but the features sound great! I'll probably break down and get one when they show up in stock somewhere.

JediTricks
07-04-2005, 01:08 AM
These seem to work on the same elements as those Micro R/C vehicles that have been on the market for a year or so now, and those can do all this so I had no doubt that this toy would do all that as well. Poor Hasbro C-3PO, he's never gonna have any cool electronic features in this scale. ;)

Reefer Shark
07-04-2005, 01:54 PM
All those tiny RC cars I've seen have had a little wire antenna hanging off them. I wonder if little R2 here will have the same, or if Tomy has found another way to do the antenna?

JEDIpartner
08-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Japan rocks. Sometimes I'm so damn proud of my people... :D

mastermatt24
08-15-2005, 02:44 AM
HUrAy! 1,000 POSTS!!!!! woot!! wooot! :p :D
:crazed:

Do I get a prize? ( :yes: )
I WANT RC R2!!

Slicker
08-15-2005, 03:00 AM
That's awesome! And it's only 2 1/2" tall!
When I first read the post, I imagined it would like 6" to 9".I was too. I read that it was the same size as the normal carded R2 and was quite shocked.

HUrAy! 1,000 POSTS!!!!! woot!! wooot! :p :D
:crazed:

Do I get a prize? ( :yes: ) Unfortunately no Matt. You forgot to stay on the subject of the thread when you did it therefore nullifying it. You now start back at zero posts. The good news is that you only have to wait 1,000 more posts to get a seconds chance.;)

mastermatt24
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Ok, its changed. Now do I get a prize? :D

Slicker
08-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Ok, its changed. Now do I get a prize? :DI'll have my prize office get in contact with you, in about 7 years, about which prize you want.

As for the mini, after thinking I finally figured out what these remind me of. A couple of years ago a toy company had out miniature remote control tanks from WWII. These things if I'm not mistaken were a little bigger than a quarter but cost about $75. I was amazed at how tiny remote cars had gotten. Back in my day you had to go in reverse to turn the damn thing around.

Rogue II
08-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Back in my day you had to go in reverse to turn the damn thing around.

Yeah, I remember those days...I had a black Firebird, pretty much like the one from Smokey and the Bandit. A couple Christmas' later, I got an Army Jeep that you could steer AND fit G.I. Joe figures in. Star Wars figures didn't fit in it properly, but it was cool none the less.

I thought about getting this R/C R-2, but decided to pass.

Ji'dai
08-15-2005, 07:26 PM
I was thinking about getting one too, but I'm not sure how much I'd play with it. It'd probably end up sitting on a shelf with the rest of my figs most of the time.

JediTricks
08-15-2005, 08:44 PM
I was too. I read that it was the same size as the normal carded R2 and was quite shocked.Well, it turns out the reason they say it's "almost" in scale is because it's about 30% larger than a Hasbro R2-D2 figure.

Back in my day you had to go in reverse to turn the damn thing around.Funny you should mention that, I was looking at R/C toys this weekend, I wanted a car or truck about the size of a soda can that I could harass my cat with ;) and it turns out there are a few out there, a lot that have low ground clearance though which won't do since that'll pick up carpet stuff real bad, but Tyco just released one for $10 that's got high up monster tires which would work fine except the remote has just 3 positions: off, forward, and reverse-turn! What the hell?!? Why would they bring this junk concept back to life? This was the bane of my childhood, I hated R/Cs that did this!!!

stillakid
09-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Just showed up in the mail (FEDEX). And this is GREAT! If you haven't ordered one yet, I highly recommend it. This is what all the droids should be like. :love:

http://shop.starwars.com/search/?keywords1=Exclusive+Remote+Control+R2-D2+Action+Figure++&method=and&x=34&y=11

JediTricks
09-14-2005, 08:53 PM
I think mine showed up today, I definitely got boxes, but I haven't been able to hit the mail to pick it up. I got the email about it shipping this morning, but I've heard from a friend that he got his the day he got the email.

JediTricks
09-16-2005, 04:14 AM
It did arrive and I picked it up today. It's a fun little gadget, not as oversized as it looks in other sources compared to figures, it's not even a quarter-inch taller than a regular R2 figure, but of course in scale sizes it's enough to look weird next to the usually-short C-3PO figures. I decided to cut the tape off the top and remove the twisties, so it's not rough & tumble anymore; I'm kinda worried that I'll use up the batteries and find out they're virtually impossible to replace, they were already installed in the figure. The body sculpt could very well be a Hasbro mold undergoing retooling, which means it's good but hardly great work; the dome sculpt is slightly better than Hasbro's usual fare but not "perfect" or anything. At first I was bugged that the R2 sounds come from the remote rather than the fig (ok, at first I thought they came from the fig because I had the remote right next to it), but I got tired of the sounds quickly since they repeat and don't vary, luckily you can make the little guy go with less sound by holding the button and then quickly lifting the remote's IR transmitter up and letting go of the button so R2 doesn't know it's been shut off, he silently rolls for a few seconds and then stops. I wanted the head to rotate a little more, especially in reverse mode where he spins around and you can barely see the dome movement, but it's still cute that it moves at all on its own.

I honestly don't know what the heck they're thinking by not mass-retail releasing this item here, at $15 (which is really what it's worth IMO, the $5 extra is simply the import price-hike) I believe they would have sold a LOT of these to kids and adults alike, casual collectors would have gone nuts for this little guy (especially if there were more sounds and a sound-off switch). As it stands now, a shop.sw.com exclusive, it's an item I don't think R2 fans could pass up, it's fun and cute and ready to go right out of the box, and should prove fun to use to mess with normal-height SW figs. :p

Lazer Brain
09-19-2005, 10:52 AM
yes!! i got mine this weekend! he is a great piece for the collector. very fun toy.
later