PDA

View Full Version : Those Good Ole' Cartoons...

JediBoulton
09-14-2005, 11:02 PM
A friend an I were sitting around this evening -- talking about ROTS -- of Course -- and we somehow started talking about old Cartoons.
To name a few --

The Banana Splits
Atom Ant
Yogi Bear and Friends -- with the flying ARK.
Guliver's Travels (Adventures)
The Land of the Lost
Electro Woman and Dina Girl
The adventures of Huck Finn (curse of the tomb) episode
and countless others.

What were some of your favorites?

AND --

Is there a place that we can get these on DVD somewhere ??

2-1B
09-14-2005, 11:17 PM
The Rambo cartoon saga is up to 4 volumes on DVD, now.

JimJamBonds
09-14-2005, 11:31 PM
The Rambo cartoon saga is up to 4 volumes on DVD, now.

Do you know the vintage on the cartoon's Caesar?

Mandalorian Candidat
09-15-2005, 12:55 AM
The Land of the Lost
Electro Woman and Dina Girl

These were live action, but they were always put on right around the same time as cartoons everyday. I'd throw in:

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
HR Puffnstuff
the show with the talking hats
Lost Saucer (Ruth Buzzi and Jim Neighbors as androids with a white chick, a black kid, and a big A dog)
another show with Chuck McCann and either Tim Conway or Bob Denver as two guys who accidentally get launched into space on a rocket...with hilarious results

pretty much all those Sid and Marty Kroft shows were sweet

JediBoulton
09-15-2005, 07:17 AM
WOW -- I remember the "Giligan in Space" show -- Called Far Out Space Nuts -- That is a blast from the past !!

Back on the cartoons -- A few more --

Star Blazers -- ! Fire the -- "Wave Motion Gun"

Battle of the Planets -- Keop and Tiny -- they were great !! -- Jason's Blue Race Car was Sweet !!

MASK was a great cartoon for a while -- the toys were cool also.

OLE DAYS --

Do anyof you remember "the three musketeers" cartoon ??

What about "SuperFriends" -- SWEET !!

vader68
09-15-2005, 07:33 AM
How about:

Speed Racer
Herculoids
JabberJaw
Grape Ape
Hong Kong Phooey (THis show was awesome)

El Chuxter
09-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Nothing beats a good Donald Duck cartoon. That man, er, fowl, kicks butt!

Rogue II
09-15-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't have it with me right now, but I have a link to a website that is a virtual encyclopedia of 80s cartoons.

In the meantime, do any of you have the Boomerang channel? It is part of the Cartoon Network. All they do is play old cartoons and no commercials. They have Loony Toons, Popeye, Tom & Jerry, as well as a bunch of those old Hanna Barberra creations (Hair Bear, Scooby-Doo, smurfs, Yogi Bear, etc.). They do show Superfriends. That was one of my favorites when I was a kid, but seeing it now...well it's cheesy. For a show to have that many super heros and super villians, there is practically no violence at all.

JimJamBonds
09-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Never heard of it but I think I'll have to look into it. :pleased:

Ji'dai
09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
There is a site out there that breaks down TV into decades with live-action, cartoons, and commercials.

Big Cartoon Database (http://www.bcdb.com/) is not it, but it's a cool site nonetheless.

I watched Heckle & Jeckle, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy, Space Ghost, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Superfriends, GI Joe, Transformers, Smurfs, Popeye, Animaniacs, Star Wars DROIDS & EWOKS, Batman TAS, Gargoyles, Voltron, Robotech, MOTU, MASK...

The only cartoons I can stand to watch now are Looney Toons, Tom & Jerry, classic Disney, Scooby Doo, Futurama, Simpsons, and Family Guy.

Holiday specials were a yearly tradition with Garfield's Halloweeen Adventure, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Frosty the Snowman.

I like some of Nickelodeon's stuff too - Rugrats, Rocket Power, Wild Thornberrys, and Spongebob Squarepants.

Rocketboy
09-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Nothing better than Looney Tunes.
It's amazing how well they hold up year after year.

Well, except for the time Elmer Fudd woke up in the year 1990.
:D

JediBoulton
09-15-2005, 03:35 PM
:cry: I sure miss the cartoons from the past --

All the shows on now are a bunch of teenagers jumping around in bright clothes and signing stupid songs. :cry:

vader68
09-15-2005, 04:08 PM
My favorite Characters from Looney Tunes are the Vulture, Marvin the Martian, and Baby bear from the three bears. When I see them now they still crack me up. My wife looks at me like I am stupid, but she just doesn't understand.

Rogue II
09-15-2005, 09:07 PM
As promised earlier:

http://www.80scartoons.net/

Has anyone else noticed how they have edited all the Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry cartoons? They have taken out anything related to suicide, black-faced, Asians, and Native Americans.

Ji'dai
09-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Has anyone else noticed how they have edited all the Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry cartoons? They have taken out anything related to suicide, black-faced, Asians, and Native Americans. They edited them or they just don't air them? The Little Rascals episodes with racial stereotypes are never shown, but those episodes are available in the home video collections. I bought Tom & Jerry and Looney Toons collections on LaserDisc and there were many I had never seen before, especially ones that were "dated" since they had animated cameos of 1940s-era movie stars or political leaders of the time.

JediTricks
09-16-2005, 02:32 AM
another show with Chuck McCann and either Tim Conway or Bob Denver as two guys who accidentally get launched into space on a rocket...with hilarious results

WOW -- I remember the "Giligan in Space" show -- Called Far Out Space Nuts -- That is a blast from the past !!
I kinda thought he was going for "Gilligan's Planet", a cartoon sequel to the sitcom with all the characters voiced by all their actors (except Tina Louise who never did Ginger again), where they build a wooden rocket and blast off of the island but end up in space landing on another planet. It... sucked.

What was up with the regular TV shows getting cartoons in that era? There was also the "Laverne & Shirley with the Fonz", "Mork & Mindy", "The Dukes" (cartoon version of the Dukes of Hazzard)... I think I had another but my post got eaten by a browser crash.

Battle of the Planets -- Keop and Tiny -- they were great !! -- Jason's Blue Race Car was Sweet !!I dug the next redressing version, G-Force, but because of bad reception I barely remember anything about the show.

MASK was a great cartoon for a while -- the toys were cool also.The toys were awesome, I re-collected 'em a few years back thanks to ebay, not a full collection but decent. The show was good, I liked it.

What about "SuperFriends" -- SWEET !!No way! Nothing like stupid kiddie morons getting in the way of the real superheroes doing cool stuff. The only thing worse than Zan & Jayna was SF's dopey wannabe-superhero Marvin and his girlfriend Wendy. Hell, even Marvin's wonder-dog was more annoying that Gleek, and I loathe everything about the Wondertwits.

HerculoidsI don't know what it is about that show, it wasn't my thing at all but I liked it none the less, I guess the creatures working together with the humans.

Speed RacerI really dig Speed Racer, and it turns out so did my dad. I remember in the early '90s, MTV was airing Speed Racer daily, that was so awesome. Spridle & Chim-Chim are lame, of course, but the rest of the show was exciting and had a decent loose story arc. I have a thing about supercars, and the Mach V is definitely at the top of that list.

Hong Kong Phooey (THis show was awesome)I used to like this show as a kid, it wasn't on that much, but in my later years I saw it again and couldn't see what I liked.

Nothing beats a good Donald Duck cartoon. That man, er, fowl, kicks butt!Donald had a few good ones, but I couldn't understand him too much, I hated his nephews, and he always seemed like a jerk. Daffy Duck, especially the earlier versions, was my top choice for cartoon character, when he was REALLY cracked.

In the meantime, do any of you have the Boomerang channel? It is part of the Cartoon Network. All they do is play old cartoons and no commercials. They have Loony Toons, Popeye, Tom & Jerry, as well as a bunch of those old Hanna Barberra creations (Hair Bear, Scooby-Doo, smurfs, Yogi Bear, etc.).I only have their parent channel, Cartoon Network, who airs Tom & Jerry all the time during the day, and I *hate* T&J with all my being. I love Looney Toons and early Popeye though, original Scooby Doos are good as are older Yogis, but the Hair Bear Bunch was just awful IMO. By the way, HB didn't create the Smurfs. I used to dig the '40s through '60s Popeye stuff, but as I grew older it started to wear pretty thin, the original Fleischer versions though got much more entertaining and creative the more I paid attention beyond the standard format of the later versions (Bluto bad, Olive taken, spinach pops open and gets sucked through the pipe, cartoon muscle gag, violence good).

Nothing better than Looney Tunes.
It's amazing how well they hold up year after year.

Well, except for the time Elmer Fudd woke up in the year 1990.I would agree right up until the '60s when the series really took a nosedive in writing and animation. Didn't Elmer get conked on the head to make that passage through time?

All the shows on now are a bunch of teenagers jumping around in bright clothes and signing stupid songs. :cry:What was that gramps? Your bones are aching and you want us to run down to the root cellar to get you your cod liver oil? ;)

The Little Rascals episodes with racial stereotypes are never shownSo that leaves, what, 3 out of the original 221 Little Rascals/Our Gang shorts? :p

Anybody here ever watch the early '80s Thundarr the Barbarian? It was kinda cool, borrowed liberally from a lot of recent sources but made a solid action mix in a nifty post-apocolyptic Earth world. Plus, it had a wannabe lightsaber, can't go too wrong with the sun sword in the early '80s.

The original Jonny Quest was pretty cool, it looked fantastic and the adventure was pretty good considering there were 2 little kids as the main stars. The late '90s upgrade wasn't too bad either actually, but the cyber stuff was too often pointless dreck.

No love for Quick-Draw McGraw, his sidekick Baba Louie, and his awesome alter-ego "El Kabong"??? Quicks-Draw wasn't as introspective as Huckleberry Hound or even Yogi Bear, but he wasn't as silly as Wally Gator, and where Huckleberry Hound's show brought us Yogi Bear, Quick-Draw's brought us Doggie Daddy and his son Augie Doggie who were too easily overlooked.

I'm also surprised to see no mention of Rocky & Bullwinkle & friends, I thought the Jay Ward reference in this thread was obligitory. :p Plus, now I have to mention that I think while Rocky & Bullwinkle was great, George of the Jungle was perhaps a little tighter in that all 3 of the shows there were equally enjoyable, Super Chicken was usually funny and I dug Tom Slick so much I named my first R/C car the Thunderbolt Grease-slapper. R&B was smarter in most of its segments though, that has some weight.

Looney Toons has been a major problem to assemble in one place I hear, the shorts got split between 2 distributors and just kept getting more and more fractured.

Rogue II
09-16-2005, 10:58 AM
I only have their parent channel, Cartoon Network, who airs Tom & Jerry all the time during the day, and I *hate* T&J with all my being. I love Looney Toons and early Popeye though, original Scooby Doos are good as are older Yogis, but the Hair Bear Bunch was just awful IMO. By the way, HB didn't create the Smurfs. I used to dig the '40s through '60s Popeye stuff, but as I grew older it started to wear pretty thin, the original Fleischer versions though got much more entertaining and creative the more I paid attention beyond the standard format of the later versions (Bluto bad, Olive taken, spinach pops open and gets sucked through the pipe, cartoon muscle gag, violence good).

I can't stand watching Popeye now. Tom & Jerry okay, but they get old really fast. There are essentially, what, about 4 different episodes, but they just made 100 variations of each of them? My daughter likes them, and the only other thing on for her at that time is Barney.

I would agree right up until the '60s when the series really took a nosedive in writing and animation. Didn't Elmer get conked on the head to make that passage through time?

I agree with you there. Sometime during the 60s, they must have changed animators or writers or something. You can tell the difference after the first 5 seconds of the cartoon. There was an episode(probably from the 40s) where Elmer sleeps for about 50 years. It is kind of funny to see what they thought things would look like.

Aparently, I didn't watch enough TV as a kid. Between my parent's rules on TV and playing hockey, soccer, and baseball, I guess I missed out. I do remember watching Thundarr, 3-2-1 Contact, Electric Company, 3 Stooges, Little Rascals, Super Friends, Batman & Robin (animated), Batman (Adam West), Spiderman, Spiderman & Friends, Superman, Star Blazers (barley remember it), Scooby-Doo, Laugh-o-lympics, Looney Toons, Woody Woodpecker/Chilie Willie, Tom & Jerry, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Blue Falcon & Dyno Mutt, and some show with Wolfman Jackand a guy in a gorilla suit (could have been a Canadian show). And later on GI Joe, Transformers, Mask, Go-bots, Dungeons & Dragons, someone and the Wheeled Warriors?, Silverhawks, and Batman (modern animated). There was also some show with Dinosaurs aliens who could turn into pre-historic form. It was kind of a rip-off of Transformers, but with dinosaurs instead of robots.

I kept waiting for Go-Bots to get better...and they never did. Oh, what I would have given to see Devistator tear Scooter a new one.:whip:

I may have seen 1 episode of droids, but for the most part, I missed all the Star Wars based cartoons. I couldn't get into Thundercats or He-Man.

I know it's off topic but how about Chips, Dukes of Hazard, Emergency, Knight Rider, and Max Headroom. I didn't think CHiPs were real until I moved to California in 1993. I called my mom right away and told her about it. She always told me not to believe everything I saw on TV. She was as suprised as I was.lol

DarkArtist
09-16-2005, 11:40 AM
The cartoons of old totally stomp on the crap that's out today.
Classics like Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry the original Scooby Doo.
What about Voltron, GI Joe, and the original Transformers. To me Megatron was and always will be a gun. And the only Optimus Prime is the orignal Convoy Truck, not the fire-engine or super deluxe convoy / tank thing they have him as now.:thumbsup: :yes: :yes: :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
09-16-2005, 11:57 AM
I saw a collection of Bosco cartoons for $1 at Wal-Mart the other day. Man, those were some racist cartoons.

Rogue II
09-16-2005, 12:49 PM
I forgot about Voltron. I liked the Voltron with the vehicles better than the lions. The princess and the brat were annoying. It seems as if there were more episodes with the lions. Why were there 2 Voltrons, anyway?

El Chuxter
09-16-2005, 02:02 PM
There actually were three, based on completely unrelated cartoons from Japan. They were imported and combined into Voltron, but for some reason the shows about the two robots who merged into one larger robot never aired. The lion cartoon was much more successful, probably because there was a smaller group of core characters.

Same thing happened with Transformers. There were five or so completely unrelated toy lines that were combined into Transformers by Hasbro. That's why the Autobots were originally all cars, but in completely different scales, and the Decepticons were pretty much whatever they wanted to be, as well as why many early Autobots and Decepticons (as well as Jetfire and the Dinobots) had cockpits.

Rogue II
09-16-2005, 02:37 PM
There actually were three, based on completely unrelated cartoons from Japan. They were imported and combined into Voltron, but for some reason the shows about the two robots who merged into one larger robot never aired. The lion cartoon was much more successful, probably because there was a smaller group of core characters.

Thanks Chux. It seems that the 5 hero character formula has been passed around for a couple generations.

Same thing happened with Transformers. There were five or so completely unrelated toy lines that were combined into Transformers by Hasbro. That's why the Autobots were originally all cars, but in completely different scales, and the Decepticons were pretty much whatever they wanted to be, as well as why many early Autobots and Decepticons (as well as Jetfire and the Dinobots) had cockpits.

Oooh, bonus trivia. :thumbsup: That scale thing always bugged me with the Transformers. I never understood how a pistol and a tape recorder, while cool, could be the same size as a semi. And, how those little match-boxed size cars fit in with the full sized line.

JediTricks
09-16-2005, 08:09 PM
I agree with you there. Sometime during the 60s, they must have changed animators or writers or something. You can tell the difference after the first 5 seconds of the cartoon.Yeah, they created their own cheapo studio to compete with Hanna Barbera who had proved that cartoons could work at significantly slower frame rates than normal, so instead of drawing 20 frames for a second, they could just draw 8 (not the actual numbers), it bombed and within a decade they were dead in the water. They also had a few new characters thrown in to die, and for some reason they often put Daffy Duck up against Speedy Gonzales to poor results (I think they knew they couldn't dillute the Bugs Bunny brand so Daffy became their go-to guy for TV). By the way, that reminds me of Fry's line on Futurama, "he makes Speedy Gonzales look like Regular Gonzales". :D

And BTW, you watched WAAAAY more TV than I did as a kid apparently. :p

I may have seen 1 episode of droids, but for the most part, I missed all the Star Wars based cartoons. I couldn't get into Thundercats or He-Man.I missed nearly all the eps of Droids because they'd alternate Droids and Ewoks and I'd always end up stuck with another episode of Ewoks, which I could not stand. Loved me the Thundercats and Masters of the Universe though. That reminds me, besides supercars, I kinda have a thing about secret identities in cartoons, the ultimate revelation of that being "Turbo Teen" who turned from teenage boy into a red Trans-Am (it was short-lived and kinda dumb, but it was a human that turned into KITT, oh how I loved Knight Rider so it always got my attention).

I know it's off topic but how about Chips, Dukes of Hazard, Emergency, Knight Rider, and Max Headroom. I didn't think CHiPs were real until I moved to California in 1993. I called my mom right away and told her about it. She always told me not to believe everything I saw on TV. She was as suprised as I was.I never watched Emergency, but the rest I was into. I didn't actually get into CHiPs until later in life though, but my babysitter when I was little loved both Ponch & Jon so when the show was shooting up the street from her house we'd go up there and watch. Max Headroom was cancelled waaaay too soon. Knight Rider should have gotten more network support, without it they went too quick to stock footage and writing, but it's still carrying a major place in my heart, as is the Dukes of Hazzard (again, supercars).

I watched Voltron, I liked 'em both, but I only watched loosely and even that was only because of my love for transforming guys, robots, teams, and those toys.

There actually were three, based on completely unrelated cartoons from Japan. They were imported and combined into Voltron, but for some reason the shows about the two robots who merged into one larger robot never aired. The lion cartoon was much more successful, probably because there was a smaller group of core characters.I schooled you guys on this already, musta forgot, it wasn't 2 robots, it was 3 robots who have been nicknamed the Gladiator Voltron, they were Voltron II, and they SUUUUCKED as toys. You have a point about Lion Voltron's popularity, and I think the Lion team show was also more popular because it was fantasy based and more actiony, the Vehicles team wasn't as exciting to watch form or fight (the toy only has 2 miserable points of articulation).

Oooh, bonus trivia. That scale thing always bugged me with the Transformers. I never understood how a pistol and a tape recorder, while cool, could be the same size as a semi. And, how those little match-boxed size cars fit in with the full sized line.The smaller basic Autobots like Bumblebee and Decepticons like Megatron and Soundwave were originally in a line that said that they were their real size, Microman, and they would transform in your room or something into tiny robots - the little cars were penny racers, which is why they are deformed. Megs wasn't the only gun, he was IMO the lamest of the 3 actually. Larger Autobots were mainly from the Diaclone line. Check out this page: http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vdiaclone.html

Mandalorian Candidat
09-16-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm also surprised to see no mention of Rocky & Bullwinkle & friends, I thought the Jay Ward reference in this thread was obligitory. :p Plus, now I have to mention that I think while Rocky & Bullwinkle was great, George of the Jungle was perhaps a little tighter in that all 3 of the shows there were equally enjoyable, Super Chicken was usually funny and I dug Tom Slick so much I named my first R/C car the Thunderbolt Grease-slapper. R&B was smarter in most of its segments though, that has some weight.

I hated R&B with a passion and was glad to see that lame-A movie tank with Jason Alexander. Those cartoons, IMO, could never match up with the WB Looney Tunes or even MGM's stuff, like Tom and Jerry. They were just drawn like crap and the voices were dopey. The WB and MGM started throwing in pop culture references and inside crap like that while the R&B stuff was just one dimensional to me (not like I was sitting there being a six year old watching TV and doing analysis or anything ;) it just didn't appeal).

Along with the Voltron, GI Joe, OG Transformers I totally loved Robotech. To this day I wish I had all the DVDs for the series and that they weren't so much. I give those Japanese dudes a high five and a solid gold California Roll for their work. :thumbsup:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-16-2005, 09:47 PM
I fondly remember the days when I use to actually wake up early on Saturday morning, because there was something worthwhile to wake up to. I grew up with the classics--the whole gamut of Hannap-Barbera cartoons and others--Scooby Doo, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, the Laff Olympics, Josie and the *****cats, Johnny Quest, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, and Voltron. I really liked Fox's offerings like Darkwing Duck, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers and Disney's Gummybears. The original Spider-Man cartoons were creepy to watch as a kid and I liked them. I also remember a series with Spiderman, Iceman and Firestar--quite an interesting combination.

I also liked some of the obscure ones that didn't last too long--Gravedale High, Camp Candy, Kissyfur, a Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Silverhawks and others early 90's fare that would keep me entertained.

JediTricks
09-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Geez ManCan, why not just say you hate the 4th of July too? ;) I actually liked the R&B movie with Jason Alexander, it wasn't great but it was good.

I could never get into Robotech, loved the toys but the show was so much soap opera stuff, long drawn-out story arcs that one couldn't really jump into the middle of... at least, that's how it felt when I was 9.

BTW, I think the '90s Spider-man is the best Spidey cartoon ever! And then they went and ruined it by canning it to put on Spider-man Unlimited which was totally butt and just wanted to be Batman Beyond. (Amusingly enough, Rino Romano who voiced Spidey there has gone on to voice the new "The Batman" which is basically another wannabe Batman Beyond.)

Jedibill
10-09-2005, 02:46 AM
I remember what i think was called the Marvel Super Hero power hour with the worst animation ever well there was no animation they just cut out pictures of superheros in a running pose and moved the background but they did have cool superhero songs. you no HULK!! HULK!!..

InsaneJediGirl
10-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Classic cartoons certainly are better than the stuff thrown out today(most of the time anyways). My personal faves were the 90s Spiderman and X-Men,Ren and Stimpy,Rockos Modern Life,Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers,Care Bears,TMNT,Thundercats, and the various Looney Tunes cartoons. Cant beat Marvin :D

Does anyone remember a show on Nickeloden in the mid-90s with two Gnomes?They lived in a tree stump I think and rode around on mice. Know the name of it? Cant remember myself

CaptainSolo1138
10-09-2005, 08:37 PM
I know the show you're talking about, but even Google wouldn't turn up the name. The chick gnome was named Begonia and the guy gnome was voiced by Tom Bosley (the guy who beat Marion on "Happy Days"). Wish I could have been of better service.

Rocketboy
10-09-2005, 10:36 PM
I looked up Tom Bosley's resume (http://imdb.com/name/nm0098014/) on IMDB.
That may be the first time that has ever been said...

Anyway, David el gnomo (http://imdb.com/title/tt0283721/) ("David the Gnome" in the US) and "The Gnomes Great Adventure (http://imdb.com/title/tt0271527/)" were all I could come up with. Not a Begonia to be found in the credits though.

CaptainSolo1138
10-10-2005, 07:21 AM
You are a useful mammel, RB. Thanks.

InsaneJediGirl
10-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks Rocketboy :) Never knew there was a movie,always thought it was just a cartoon