PDA

View Full Version : X-Box 360 Release Date and Launch Details Revealed

Lord Malakite
09-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Microsoft kicked-off its Tokyo Game Show presence with a press conference, encompassing worldwide launch dates, Japanese pricing, and details on upcoming games for all territories. In addition to the big announcement about the official launch date -- Tuesday, November 22 in North America, Friday, December 2 in Europe, and Saturday, December 10 in Japan -- IGN has learned some other interesting details on backward compatibility, the launch line-up, and HDD support -- and even saw a few demos.

Hoping to make a bigger splash in Japan with the Xbox 360 than they did with the original Xbox, Microsoft announced that over 100 Japanese-targeted games are in development. Those of you who like Japanese RPGs, fighting games and other Japanese-style titles will be happy to know that we'll likely see more Japanese-developed games than we did with the original Xbox as well. However, Maruyama did say there will be region enforcements for games on the X360, so importing games from region to region may be difficult.

One question that has been on most minds is what titles can we expect on launch day? Launch titles should include Ridge Racer 6, Frame City Killer, Enchant Arm, Dead or Alive 4, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, and Every Party, among others.

Maruyama continued by broadly stating that the 360 launch is based on a worldwide model. High-Def Entertainment has three factors including High-Def sound, a system that is always online, and customization. Currently there are over 100 titles in development. The majority of these games will be launched before 2006. 66 have already been announced and over 200 titles available worldwide.

The big news which came towards the end of the conference was that the Japanese launch date is Saturday December 10th. The price excluding tax will be 37,900 yen (about $350) and every console will come with hard drive, remote control, and wireless controller. Seven titles will be available for launch with six more titles before end of January. Several more titles may be also be ready, bringing the total to more than 20 games before January. With launch there will also be a Beta test for Final Fantasy XI.

During the Q&A session after the conference, Maruyama was asking about backwards compatibility. He said pretty much the same thing we had heard before: that Microsoft will try to support backwards compatibility for as many Xbox games as possible, but that that not all Xbox games will work on the Xbox 360. Microsoft will instead focus on the popular, successful games, and release compatibility upgrades over time, most likely in the form of an Xbox Live download. Maruyama also said that Microsoft will be discussing specifics of backwards compatibility in more detail "soon."

Another hot topic at the Q&A session was the lack of HD-DVD in the launch system. Maruyama said that the HD-DVD is not needed for high definition games, obviously. However, in the future it's possible that Microsoft will add an HD-DVD to the system.

Hard drive requirements were also addressed at the conference. As far as the removable hard drive goes, the majority of Xbox 360 games have to be playable without the HDD. However, there will be some exceptions, such as Final Fantasy XI, that will require the HDD. Here's a brief summary of the answers given in the Q&A session:

The reason the hard disk will be included because in Japan because the country has an excellent infrastructure for broadband access. Some online gameplay (FFXI) will require a hard disk. There has not yet been a decision to release a core system in Japan at this time.

They have not yet made an announcement on the initial shipment numbers.

Microsoft has built their current strategy based on an environment that stresses Xbox Live. They think that by showing the console and the games consumers will be naturally attracted to the system. The current effort will be drawn out over the coming years. The previous effort with Xbox 1 was not successful because of time constraints and the lack of software. Xbox 360 has been in development for a couple of years with an impressive lineup of games.

They believe that there are benefits to being first to launch in the game market but the most important aspect is the provided software. The console is less expensive in Japan, but it is an appropriate price for the current market and one must keep in mind that fluctuating markets change the comparative cost.

Microsoft has no plans to launch a handheld. The approach to a high definition marketplace is centered around the home and a large screen, not a handheld device.

The current titles and the most popular titles will be prioritized as being backwards compatible. Specific games are not yet being announced but the most popular games will be backwards compatible.

Microsoft has discussed including HD DVD in the future but the current HD display for games does not require the use of HD DVD hardware.

scruffziller
10-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Just played the XBox 360 at Wal Mart today and it is BREATHTAKING!!!!
Unbelievabe!!!!!!!!! Played Call of Duty 2 demo. Really cool and realistic. The graphics are to a point now where you swear its real video. Its that good.

I learned that the reason the XBox didn't go over so well in Japan is because it was too big and clunky. The Japanese like things small and light, thus why the gamecube is what it is.

Exhaust Port
10-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Wow, I didn't know that demo's were in the stores yet (tells you how often I make it out there).

How was the controller? Is it big and bulky like the orginal XBox controller or smaller like the second generation controllers? Did they have any demo's for a sports or driving game? I really like NCAA football and Project Gotham Racing and am looking forward to seeing those on the 360. I've seen the PGR demo online and it was absolutely amazing.

Slicker
10-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Not bad. $350 is a resonable opening cost and I'm sure you can expect that to be down to around $250 Christmas 2006. I doubt I'll buy one but I'll sure as hell play my roommates when he spends his money on it.:yes:

Non of the initial titles being offered appeal to me so it'll probably be a bit before I play it.

scruffziller
10-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Wow, I didn't know that demo's were in the stores yet (tells you how often I make it out there).

How was the controller? Is it big and bulky like the orginal XBox controller or smaller like the second generation controllers? Did they have any demo's for a sports or driving game? I really like NCAA football and Project Gotham Racing and am looking forward to seeing those on the 360. I've seen the PGR demo online and it was absolutely amazing.

I believe the controllers are exactly like the 2nd gen controllers.
I didn't play them, but they did have some racing and sports but I don't think they were playable, just video demos.

and darn it....:upset:

They turned the unit off at WM becuase they said it was interferring with the TVs and computers in the electronics section. They said they need some mod chip for it to correct the problem. Have any idea what is happening there?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-29-2005, 03:30 PM
I work in the electronics department at my wally world and we got in more information this week. We're only getting 14 in for the launch of Nov 22nd, that's right 14.

10-core packs for 299.00
4- bundle packs (with hard drive) for 399.00

Its' going to be a fun midnight sale, i can tell you that much. :crazed:

hango fett
10-30-2005, 10:22 AM
i hope to get mine at midnight. if i have enough money...
HF

jedi master sal
11-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Huh, I'll wait a year or so before getting one. That's WAY too much money for me. Especially when it sounds like you can't play most of the 1st gen XBox games on the new system.

I'm waiting on PS3 as well.

I've heard that the new Nintendo console will be backwards compatible (having adapters) all the way back to SuperNintendo. Anyone confirm this?

If so, that will probably be my first stop, depending on price.

-Sal

Lord Malakite
11-04-2005, 02:29 PM
I've heard that the new Nintendo console will be backwards compatible (having adapters) all the way back to SuperNintendo. Anyone confirm this?
Thats partially true Sal. Revolution is only backwards compatible in the physical sense with GameCube games. This is because both Revolution and GameCube use disc formats, where as the older systems are all cartridge based. It will also be able to play Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, and original Nintendo games as you heard, but those will be made available through an online internet service which will require you to pay a download fee for the games you play.

plasticfetish
11-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Well, the Target near me had an Xbox 360 kiosk out today. We put in a few minutes playing the Call of Duty 2 demo, as well as the King Kong demo.

First, I'll say that $400 really does seem like a lot of money to spend on a game console.

...but, it looks good. Sharp graphics, rich textures and smooth game play. We only fiddled around for a bit, not long enough to come up with any kind of serious opinion, but I was impressed. If anything, I would say that it felt more like playing on a PC than a regular console.

At this point, I'm not wild about the game selection. I'm not wild about the $60 game price point. I don't really do online gaming, (well... not yet) so I'm not too excited about Xbox online.

I'd like to wait and see if anyone has any kind of problems with this new system. Trying to be prudent, we'll probably end up holding off for a good while on this... though I'll admit that I'd love to just go out and buy one on Tuesday. :)

Slicker
11-18-2005, 03:18 PM
I also just played the 360 for the first time at EB Games last night. I too played Call of Duty and I was really impressed by the graphics but the gameplay and the scenarios are all the same as every other war game. I suppose that just because it's a new system they shouldn't worry about gameplay when they can dazzle you with great graphics.:rolleyes:

Fwad
11-18-2005, 07:25 PM
You won't be that impressed by the 1st year games. These games are mostly ports and not designed for the system itself.In another year or 2 you will see what the system is able to do. If you can hold off for a year you will have some better games and a much lower price.

JetsAndHeels
11-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Well we got our shipments in at work....got to open one and set it up tonight after we closed. I like the feel of the unit. About the size and weight of the first ps2 (the fat model). We actually got 2 core systems in, and my manager said he was going to do his best to sell them. If they are not bought by the end of the day Tuesday, I am taking one home. I can purchase the hard drive later.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-22-2005, 01:25 AM
I just got in from wally world where i volunteered to help sell the 360's and despite one customer issue, it went off without a hitch. The first guy was in line at 10:30 this morning; i couldn't believe it. The phone was constantly ringing asking if we had left and many people yelled at us, saying we didn't advertise for it (minus ya know, it being in our ad and on TV, etc) and saying that we should've told people they could be here early. I almost laughed at a fwe of them. If you want a product, get here for it, a--! I also talked to one guy from a store up north who had been in line since 9:00 am and was offered 300 bucks just to GIVE UP HIS SEAT; he took the $$ as ANYBODY would have.

I did have fun with them though as they could see me in teh back from where they were sitting when i was getting everything out of lockup and I kept casually holding units up as i priced them. Plus, i had to get my games from the back and stop my department to give my keys up and i walked right by them with a cart full of games and heard many "oh man!" and "oooos and ahhhhhhhhs!" and then i giggled to which the first guy said, "you're toying with us, aren't you?" and i laughed and said, "sorry, i couldn't help it." Even my managers were chuckling at my acts of cruelty. :crazed:

Our shipment was different than what i thought (10 core and 4 bundle) as we ended up getting in 8 bundle and 6 core, which made customers happy. We had 14 chairs set up for people back by layaway (1 unit per seated customer) and when i clocked back in at 11 after my initial 12-9 shift, my buddy and i set everything up so when the customer came up, they gave me their order (system, games, extra controllers, memory card, x-box live- we got no in extra HDTV cables, face plates or anythign else of that nature) and i got the items, gave it to the cashier while my co-worker watched the line to make sure nobody played cutsies or had problems. We had 15 games and only sold out of Project Gotham Racing. All in all, a pretty pleasant evening and everybody who sat there all day got what they wanted. Good times. :D What cracked me up is how we got calls at 12:30 am asking if we had any. Basically, if you were not in line at that time, you better be prepared to get up early to get one tomorrow morning.

JetsAndHeels
11-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Everything went smooth last night/this morning at work for me too. We only had the customers who had preordered theirs in time for the launch, so we were out of the store by 12:30 or so. We have one extra core system, which I am buying today and then I will head to Best Buy or Circuit City and attempt to find a hard drive.

Fwad
11-22-2005, 03:45 PM
I was lucky 2 get 2 premium systems from my local Walmart. I now just have to find a hard drive for my brothers core system so he can go online.

Slicker
11-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Sad pathetic individuals are already hawking these on Ebay. Some people have BIN's of $10,000 and the reserves aren't met. Some of them are selling for $2,000 with tons of bidders.

Why didn't people just get off there arses and reserve them? Haven't they been taking preorders for months now? I know my roommate reserved one but it's the second batch and he gets it at the end of the month.

Here's the link if you wanna get mad at stupidity. (http://search.ebay.com/xbox-360_W0QQfromZR8QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3)

hango fett
11-22-2005, 08:07 PM
i got the core system last night. i wanted the premium, but they got 6 of them and 12 of the core. but i got a memory card, wireless controler (last one!), and PGR3. and an asst. manager had the gaul to come out and say "you know these only work with HDTV's? if you don't have one, you'll have to get a converter at best buy or something." i was like "go to hell." because i knew it would work fine on my TV. and it does. but the DVD player seems to tug the movies along. i put ROTS in and played the battle over coursacant. it seemed to pull it rather than let it run smoothly....anyone else notice this?
HF

UKWildcat
11-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Sad pathetic individuals are already hawking these on Ebay. Some people have BIN's of $10,000 and the reserves aren't met. Some of them are selling for $2,000 with tons of bidders.

I just noticed the exact same thing. I searched on eBay just to see what they were going for and they were in the thousands. Thats just absurd! And yes, these people could have preordered them months ago. I mean, $2000 for an Xbox 360? I could build a rather disgusting computer for that much! Oh well, I've said it before and I'll say it again... It's a crazy world.

I did just look at some screenshots for Tiger Woods and they were breathtaking. Individual blades of grass... and the water... it is a stunning system!

Lord Malakite
11-23-2005, 03:22 AM
Here's the link if you wanna get mad at stupidity. (http://search.ebay.com/xbox-360_W0QQfromZR8QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3)
Thanks for the laugh slick, you've made my day.:D

JetsAndHeels
11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Looking at these crazy prices on ebay, I am wondering whether to open my system up and use it or list it on there. :D
LoL J/K

James Boba Fettfield
11-23-2005, 11:49 AM
manager had the gaul to come out and say "you know these only work with HDTV's? if you don't have one, you'll have to get a converter at best buy or something." i was like "go to hell."

Haha, that's funny, especially the go to hell part.

JediTricks
11-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Supposedly, there have been a rash of complaints of defective 360s, a slew of problems, both the harddrive and the main system. One site is suggesting there might be a recall, making this poorly-executed launch even more of a debacle.

plasticfetish
11-23-2005, 07:35 PM
neeeeever buy 'em right when they first come out. Always gotta wait to see what problems crop up. :yes:

scruffziller
11-24-2005, 04:08 PM
I heard somewhere that the multiple processors in them were not going to be hooked up but just sit in the console. Like one of them would be hooked up and the rest just "there" but not doing anything.:D I think as a part of the first units that are alunched.

2-1B
11-26-2005, 12:36 PM
A guy I work with got hosed by Gamestop who took his preorder many months ago and now they can't deliver until January.

My brother-in-law's purchase went smoothly though, he picked his up right away at Target and has had no glitch problems. He gave me a demonstration on Thursday.

Myself, I don't see what the big deal is over these things.

Slicker
11-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Myself, I don't see what the big deal is over these things.As I stated already, I don't see it either. To begin with though I'll say that I'm not a big gamer to begin with but I know what I like and I like the graphics but I want gameplay. I've played tons of games with awesome graphics but you can sit down and beat the game in a couple of hours. Why spend $60 for maybe 12 hours of fun and little replay value?

I'm not sayin' I won't play it though. My roommate is getting one and I'll surely play the hell out of it...for free though.;)

2-1B
11-26-2005, 05:05 PM
As I stated already, I don't see it either. To begin with though I'll say that I'm not a big gamer to begin with

That's really what it comes down to for me, so in no way am I slighting this particular console, I'm just not a big video gamer in the first place. I couldn't even get into the N64. :D

My passion for video games died with Super Nintendo's demise. :crazed:

sith_killer_99
11-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm not a big gamer, but I may end up buying one of these. Aside from this being a kick butt gaming console it is also a HD Media Center Extender!!!

I haven't bought a game console since my old Sega 32X. LOL PC's just offer so much more in terms of performance and upgradeability. I tried the Demo for Call of Duty 2 last night at Wal-Mart and I was impressed.

Kidhuman
11-27-2005, 12:07 AM
It is an impressive system no doubt, but I will wait for PS3 to make up my mind on which one I will get. I am not a big gamer anymore, dont have the time, but enjoy certain games and it has to have tons of replay value.

sith_killer_99
11-27-2005, 08:29 AM
The PS3 has some imperssive specs from what I've read, but then so does the Xbox 360. For me it's the MCE extender that puts Xbox over the top. Like I said I'm not a big gamer, but I am a huge multimedia nut! Movies, music, television, satelite radio! Yeah, I want it all and I want it in any room in my house!:yes:

DarthBrandon
11-27-2005, 11:39 AM
It is an impressive system no doubt, but I will wait for PS3 to make up my mind on which one I will get. I am not a big gamer anymore, dont have the time, but enjoy certain games and it has to have tons of replay value.

Same here, plus I want all the bugs & glitches fixed as well before I purchase either of them.

JediTricks
11-27-2005, 04:42 PM
I haven't bought a game console since my old Sega 32X.Sega 32x was not a console, it was an expansion unit for the Genesis. :p

sith_killer_99
11-27-2005, 05:26 PM
OK, you got me, so technically I haven't bought a gaming console since the Sega Genesis.:p

Man, Doom rocked back in the day, but for me....Zero Tollerance started it all!:yes: