PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Visual Guide

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2005, 05:14 PM
I saw this book at the store, didn't know it even existed, but it's cool. It's kind of like the old Reese's Peanut Butter Cups commercial... you got SW: Visual Dictionary in my SW: Essential Chronology! It's a great collection of movie stuff, EU stuff, and even collectible stuff. Check it out!

Jayspawn
09-18-2005, 09:49 AM
A friend of mine said he saw it at a Barnes & Noble. At 1st, he mistook it for Star Wars Chronicles :The Prequels. Too early for that book to be out. I'll check it out.

JimJamBonds
09-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Cool, I think its time I visit my local B&N! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
09-19-2005, 02:25 PM
I didn't realize it was out yet. How does it look like it compares to the earlier Visual Guides? I'm on the fence about picking it up, partly because I'm afraid much of it is repeat info, and partly because these Visual Guides seem to love to show up on clearance.

bobafrett
09-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Does anyone have a retail price on this? I like books with tons of pictures, and this sounds like one that has just that.

JimJamBonds
09-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Its listed at $16.48 on Amazon.com

Rocketboy
09-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Wow, I saw it today and the cover price is $24 or $25.
Didn't really look like it was worth it.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Wow, I saw it today and the cover price is $24 or $25.
Didn't really look like it was worth it.Well, it's $24.99, hardcover with cover (Vader helmet at angle, all in black and silver colors). It's like a Visual Dictionary in story form (start at beginning, end at end) with summary info from movies, comics, video games stories, plus collecting, fans, behind-the-scenes, etc. So far, I'm up to the middle-end of Episode I in terms of "plot," which is about 30-some pages into the 140 page book. I like it so far!

Jayspawn
09-21-2005, 04:25 PM
I got to check it out today at B&N. Its a neat book, but wasnt what I thought it would be. Its more of an Expanded Universe resource book -it only has a little to do with the films. I'm not into EU so I passed on it. I think the Visual Dictionaries are MUCH better.

El Chuxter
09-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Expanded Universe resource book? Count me in!! :) The page I'd seen online a few months back dealt with something EU (I think the Great Sith War), but I didn't realize it was going to be primarily EU. That's nice of them to avoid too much overlap, especially with the big Cross Sections book apparently being about 3/4 rehashed material from the previous Cross Sections books.

JEDIpartner
09-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Okay... so this is 140 pages and not 40 pages like it was originally listed?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Expanded Universe resource book? Count me in!! :) The page I'd seen online a few months back dealt with something EU (I think the Great Sith War), but I didn't realize it was going to be primarily EU. That's nice of them to avoid too much overlap, especially with the big Cross Sections book apparently being about 3/4 rehashed material from the previous Cross Sections books.The movies have a lot of EU sidebars on the pages, with some insights from the films that EU has picked up on. Characters known by "Title, LastName" get their EU first names (i.e. Willheulf [sp?] Tarkin), and there's a few paintings, comics panels, and uncommon screen shots. I'm now up to the middle of ANH (page 60-something).

Worth it!

JEDIpartner
09-23-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm now up to the middle of ANH (page 60-something). :mad:

Since no one is actually going to answer my question outright, I'd have to say that the original 40 pages listed is incorrect.

Jayspawn
09-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Sorry JEDIpartnr, I have been in this forum yet. Yes it is definatly incorrect.

JEDIpartner
09-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks... maybe I'll go look for it this weekend.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-23-2005, 07:08 PM
:mad:

Since no one is actually going to answer my question outright, I'd have to say that the original 40 pages listed is incorrect.Sorry; guess I didn't catch the question in your post. Yup, last numbered page is 140, with a few index and acknowledgement pages after. I owe you a BSLOS for my oversight:

"Take 'em to the bridge
Throw 'em overboard
See if he can swim
Back-a to the shore..."

The thing I guess I like the best about the book is how it integrates the ROTS plot details into the other films and book plots. For example, from page 83 (which is more than 40 ;) ), "...asserting that the roles have reversed since their fateful encounter on Mustafar -- and that now, he is the master." This fills in some spaces (not really gaps) in the films with the specifc info. But, page 103 has a profane image at the bottom of the page, so be warned. :mad:

mastermatt24
09-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Sounds interesting.. Ill go look at borders this weekend because I got a 20% coupon a hardcover or regular item.. and I'll even be a nice guy and give you guys the link to the coupon: http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/092105_coupon.html
:D

mastermatt24
09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Well, I went to Borders and of course I didnt find it. :rolleyes: BUT I did find it at Barnes and Nobles and got my bro's discount there anyways. :D Its a pretty darn good book- my only gripe is the Lack of info on New Republic+ Njo Stuff (its only what, 2 pages??). I wouldve got the soft cover but they only had one of them in the entire store so I got HC.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-25-2005, 09:52 PM
:D Its a pretty darn good book- my only gripe is the Lack of info on New Republic+ Njo Stuff (its only what, 2 pages??). I wouldve got the soft cover but they only had one of them in the entire store so I got HC.I noticed that, too, and I think that the reason is because there are so few photos or images from those areas. There was coverage of the novels that had comic book versions, but little else. Overall, I liked the book.

mastermatt24
09-25-2005, 10:40 PM
I think they couldve covered plenty with what comic pics they had- at least two full pages for NJO (heck its 18 books long!!!!) and they got enough for New Republic Era stuff- The made comic adaptations of the thrawn triology, and they could use others like dark empire and empire's end. They sure had enough on Ancient Sith Lords and other stuff from that era (which im not complaining about, just sayin)

Blackened88
09-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Does this book have anything intersting about clones?

mastermatt24
09-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Yes and no, its basically an illustrated timeline thats really cool.

mrhat
09-26-2005, 05:14 PM
There decisions on what gets more page space than others confused me, 2 full pages on Darth Maul (with some side notes about Sidious), a blurp about Rebel Leaders, its good for the most part though, What they need to do is make the Prequel and EU expansion to the encyclopedia, or make a brand new one... The newer essential guides, kinda suck, they have a lot less info than the predisassors, and if they were smart, they would just put new stuff in it, instead of saying things over and over about characters that have already been in them.

Rocketboy
09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
What they need to do is make the Prequel and EU expansion to the encyclopedia, or make a brand new one... In the new Insider, Sansweet said that'll probably happen, but there were no immediate plans.

mastermatt24
09-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Somebody needs to make a COMPLETE guide to EU. :yes:

darth cynik
09-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Does this UVG book have pictures of the grassers or akk dogs from Shatterpoint? I'm reading it now and I'm having the hardest time picturing what either animal looks like, it's annoying.

If that book doesn't have pictures of them, anyone know where I CAN find pictures of 'em? It would me out a lot.

anyone? :D

2-1B
09-30-2005, 12:08 PM
I just ordered it at 16.48, I'm not so much interested in the EU stuff as I am the films but at that price, I think it'll be worth it no matter how much or little film stuff is in it. :)

Looking forward to it. :)

JimJamBonds
09-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Looking forward to it. :)

And I'm looking forward to paging through your copy as well. ;)

mastermatt24
10-01-2005, 02:07 AM
Does this UVG book have pictures of the grassers or akk dogs from Shatterpoint? I'm reading it now and I'm having the hardest time picturing what either animal looks like, it's annoying.

If that book doesn't have pictures of them, anyone know where I CAN find pictures of 'em? It would me out a lot.

anyone? :D
I dont believe so- the CW were another part of history that was skimped on. I think youre stuck with your imagination this time ;)

kool-aid killer
10-13-2005, 01:14 PM
I just bought this book over the weekend, it was the first time i had seen it. I really like it, its not a rehash of the prequel DK visual dictionaries (im not sure about the OT, since i dont have it) and its got a lot of interesting information. I got it at a Waldenbooks store for a little over $20 and im really glad i did. My favorite part in it is a picture of Luke, Biggs, Camie, and Fixer discussing the space battle Luke had seen. Good book, go out and buy it.

Slicker
10-14-2005, 05:57 AM
I just saw this over on RS. It definitely looks like a good read along with the new Star Wars: Complete Locations - Inside the Worlds of the Entire Star Wars Saga. I may have to make a trip to the local B&N.