PDA

View Full Version : Is Star Wars Over?

JediTricks
09-19-2005, 02:14 PM
With the Episode III DVD coming out in only a matter of weeks, and the live-action show pushed back a year with scant few details, some fans may be feeling like Star Wars is "over", that the final movie has come and gone, and that means Star Wars is done. Some fans may see the end of the Hasbro ROTS line as perhaps the final stop on the Star Wars collectible express. But is any of that true, do Star Wars fans really feel like the show has come to an end? Is there life after the movies?

JediBoulton
09-19-2005, 02:24 PM
I hate to admit it -- But I believe this is it. :(

Short of RE-Releasing all of the figures on different packages -- different poses -- extra weapons -- we have see everything.

I guess SW can survive on the "Expanded Universe" -- but without that MOVIE Experience -- I am sad to say I just dont feel the same about Star Wars as I once did.

NOW THIS DOES NOT MEAN I WILL STOP BEING A FAN --- NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE THAT !!!

I can only hope I am wrong --

Geroge -- You are our only Hope !!

El Chuxter
09-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Of course not, although it's likely to take a dramatic drop in popular appeal in a few weeks or months.

plasticfetish
09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
...do Star Wars fans really feel like the show has come to an end? Is there life after the movies?I think it's obviously come to an end in one sense, but given that this franchise pays the bills for Lucas and Co., I doubt that it's truly "over."

We'll see more. There's going to be a lull in the action here or there, (which is fine by me, because I like suspense) but there will be something more in time. Heck, looking at all of the epic video games that come out from time to time, I don't really see much of a lull at all.

:)

ew2seal
09-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Only the fans and collectors will let us know in January. I voted no cause I know star wars has the biggest fan base out there. And hopefully if we try, it will keep going. But I feel Any slump in sales for any companies like Hasbro, Master Replicas, Ect. And they will quit pretty quick. Cause they will shift to something new. As I say especially with saga2 on the way. It will make it or break it. As long as we see new characters and better army building stuff. We will see it go on. If it just repeats stuff I say it won't last past June 2006.

CaptainSolo1138
09-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I echo Chux. It'll definitely take a nose dive, leaving just the hardcore geeks (read: me [us?]). I don't see a huge "casual" appreciation for Star Wars in the future. So for the "Johnny Come Lately" fan it is over, but for alot of folks it'll be business as usual.

VaderhitsJarjar
09-19-2005, 03:59 PM
I believe the show is over - even if it is only a short moratorium before the possible Television series.
Though there is a great EU fanbase I dont think it is enough for Hasbro to even think they will make money -
Once the television series hits - fans will say it just doesnt feel like the movies , they did not like the actors lack of emotion, why couldnt GL write the script, we miss the phantom menace, etc, etc.
The only savior for the starwars universe is for Episode 7 to hit us out of the blue - some secret filming in Denmark - An aged Harrison Ford will star along with the rest of the crew fighting storm troopers and possibly an old fan favorite from anew - An aged wiser surgically enhanced darth maul wouldnt be half bad.

Sigh
ps. I didnt use spell check
:ninja:

jedi master sal
09-19-2005, 04:02 PM
As Vader would put it: NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!

Seriously though, while SW may be dwindling from the main scene, I couldn't e busier with it. My collecting has gone back up to were it was during previous movie years. In the case of clones, even more so. My activity with local collecting groups has grown exponentially.

Anticipation of the TV shows remains steadfast.

Also, there is that little rumor that GL is going to rerelease all of teh movies again as 3D. True or not, it keeps a twinge of excitement in me.

Star Wars is barely out of theaters and to be honest I'm almost appalled that this poll even showed up on the site, not just shortly after the movie has left the primary market, but at all.
There's so much stuff that can be produced in the form of collectibles/toys. (It's a matter of, if Hasbro wants to and ses a profit in doing so.) We know next year is going to be a decent year for collecting. Yes it could be better, but WE always think it could be better.

My vote is soundly for my own experieince with SW and it's a resounding NO.

Say I'm in denial all you want. I'll say I've never been to Egypt...

-Sal

Rogue II
09-19-2005, 04:18 PM
D-Day: War's over, man. Lucas dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

El Chuxter & plasticfetish pretty much summed it up for me. I'll be happy when it isn't as mainstream as it has been the past few years. To tell you the truth, I really don't care if they do a TV show or not. For me, the show could hurt the movies more than help them. If Hasbro keeps their word and keeps producing figures of new characters, or improving sculpts of old figures at a reasonable price, I'll be content.

DarkArtist
09-19-2005, 04:28 PM
I dont't the Star Wars Saga will ever be over. "Greed can be a powerful Ally" Lucas would be stupid to put the Saga to rest. Like I said earlier in another thread give it twenty years and more movies will be released, perhaps the famed rumored 7,8, and 9. As far as the whole expanded universe theory, that will continue since so many people believe it never really happened because it wasn't in the movies.
Between the TV shows, comics, novels games etc Star Wars is far from over.:yes: :yes: :yes:

CaptainSolo1138
09-19-2005, 04:44 PM
darth maul wouldnt be half bad.
Actually, he'd be two halves.

PTF
09-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Sad, but it is over. I saw an ending like this before. Decipher once made one of the greatest games ever invented (no joke), Star Wars CCG. The fans promised to save the game eventhough Lucasfilm gave the lisence to Wizards of the Coast. SW CCG is now all but a memory for most who love the game. The Saga Star Wars surrived because we always had hope that George Lucas would make a good movie again and tell us the story we wanted to see. Unless the live action show has some incredible story lines and action for adults (which children love as seen by the most popular new film Episode 3), Star Wars is a thing of the past for the majority of the population. I will still be swooping up collectibles that will drop in value and put them on a memory shelf because Star Wars will have a special place in my heart. But for most youth, they had to indure aweful writing, bad editing, and Jar Jar Binks. I know Star Wars as Episode IV, V and VI and the new movies. The kids know it as I, II and the nicely surprising III (still poorly scripted between Padme and Anakin) and the old movies. Unfortunately, George Lucas will not save Star Wars with a half witted 1 hour Holiday special airing once a week in Fall 2006. He seems to be done with Star Wars. I don't think another Grand Admiral Thrawn and Mara Jade can save this Saga. Only Lucas can with Movies, not TV. However, he seems willing to silence the Force forever!:(

Markimus
09-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Obviously the movies are done... Lucas will not make any more.. sadly. But with a live action TV show coming out and a cartoon...that should keep things fresh for some time... Plus there is always the chance of a re-release every 10 or 20 years.

Lord Malakite
09-19-2005, 05:20 PM
If Hasbro continues to let it's new man spew crap like "Satan" Vader :twisted: at us it is.

sith_killer_99
09-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Star Wars will never be over, it can never end! I have known it since I was 3 years old.:love:

kingyeti
09-19-2005, 06:17 PM
i think there is still room for one more movie between ROTS and ANH. if not, you could definitely pick up the story before TPM. maybe on the origins of Qwi Gon and or Obi Wan.

trandoshan666
09-19-2005, 06:18 PM
It's kind of weird, but I got this dreadful sense that it was indeed "over" when I watched the final scene of ROTS at the midnight showing in April. I got the same feeling the last time I saw ROTS in the theater before it left town. Given the planned toy releases, the eventual launch of the TV series and the forecasted rereleases of the films in 3D, I have to say Star Wars is technically still far from being "over." Nonetheless, I feel on a deeper level that the saga was effectively finished with Episode III.

JediTricks
09-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Star Wars is barely out of theaters and to be honest I'm almost appalled that this poll even showed up on the site, not just shortly after the movie has left the primary market, but at all. The reason I started this poll is because of a growing feeling I was getting from the fans, I thought it was still small and folks would simply landslide this poll, but the opposite has happened and now we have a real discussion on our hands.

I'm also surprised to see so many comments that claim Lucas is in it for the money, the guy is a billionaire and wants to move on to other projects, I honestly think he is absolutely NOT in it for the money at all.

I voted "no, it's not over" because I think there's enough SW other stuff out there to keep it at least on life support for a while, but naturally if enough fans feel it's over and leave, it WILL be over.

Darth Jax
09-19-2005, 09:26 PM
star wars is over (sadly enough). it ended when the credits rolled on ep 3.

the sense of wonderment i had as a young tyke first seeing ANH is far from gone. the thrill of seeing a new figure in the store, opening the latest novel or comic, or watching the movies on VHS (and now DVD) are an endless joy. i'll collect until the lines are shut down (and then go back and try to fill in the missing holes). i'll continue to read the stories (even the poorly written or horribly animated ones). i'll rewatch the movies. still none of that compares to just thinking of star wars - it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Bacta Beast
09-19-2005, 10:29 PM
It may sound stupid, but I believe the collecting end of it is a big part of "Star Wars", and what keeps "it" going. So I could actually see how some of Hasbro's terrible decisions could kill it for everyone. I want it to last for ever, but if the shows either a. never happen, or b. suck, then what else is there to "keep it going"? Just the toys. And I think it's easy to see how Hasbro could run that into the ground, all they have to do is keep it up with the exclusives, under produced quantities, retarded packaging assortments, and giving exclusives to places like Entertainment Earth that seem intent on raping fans.

The 'Xir
09-19-2005, 10:46 PM
"It is for me sweethart! Look, I'm not in this for your revolution and I'm certainly not in it for you princessss..."sorry got caught up in the moment..:

I know Lucas isn't dumb enough to let it slip though his fingers they'll be more... whatever; comics, tv programs, merchandise, etc! However, I have to admit that for me personally, I think it is over. Before, Star Wars was like oxygen to me I couldn't get enough of it, I mean christ I saw it origianlly('77) in the theatres when I was 5, it's been my entire life; but now after EpII and III it's more like that unsavory relative that if you had your preference you wouldn't know them but out of duty you'll revisit now and then. I'm sure I'll buy EpIII on DVD but I can easily see that, that will most likely be my last Star Wars purcahse ever! I had $4-$500 of new epIII toys on layaway, and just let it exprie, got my hundred I had down on it back and separately only bought about $50-$60 bucks worth of stuff! You all know I like comming here to Sirsteves and other sites and will check in from time to time to keep in touch with all the cool people I've met or talked to over the last 8years. However, for me Star Wars has lost something! What was once epic and magical, hopeful and yet somehow personal; is now just another story with bad acting and weak plot points!

Fitting that EpIII pretty much ends with a funeral procession, 'cause this horse is dead, and the magic?.. is gone. :cry:

bobafrett
09-19-2005, 11:34 PM
God I hope so, I don't have the cash flow to continue much beyond the present line of collectibles.

2-1B
09-19-2005, 11:45 PM
It will never be over, because there will always be people who complain about it. lol

DarkArtist
09-20-2005, 10:15 AM
"perhaps I killed a Jedi and took it from Him"
"i don't think so, Nobody could kill a Jedi."

Just like young Anakin's statement to Qui Gon Jinn, Nobody can kill Star Wars. The Saga will never end as long as there are the faithful followers and artists willing to explore that galaxy far.....far away.;:thumbsup:

bobafrett
09-20-2005, 11:22 AM
At least I have my armor to wear when my son puts me in a nursing home when I am old and senial, and have no clue what a "Star Wars" movie is.

Besides I will always have a house full of Star Wars collectibles to keep it alive for me!

kool-aid killer
09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
The Star Wars universe is not over, far from it in fact. There will always be people clamoring for more stories that involve these characters that weve grown up with. Maybe for the purists who only see the six movies and dismiss the rest, but for those of us who are EU fans, the ride is still running.

DarkArtist
09-20-2005, 01:13 PM
The Star Wars universe is not over, far from it in fact. There will always be people clamoring for more stories that involve these characters that weve grown up with. Maybe for the purists who only see the six movies and dismiss the rest, but for those of us who are EU fans, the ride is still running.

Couldn't have said it better myself. EU is going to be the way that the saga lives on, but I am still optimistic about Lucas giving up completing on the movies. I think it just a matter of time before he releases what he stands to lose if no new movies come into the light.

Rocketboy
09-20-2005, 04:02 PM
With the completion of the saga, Star Wars is past it's prime, but it still has legs. They may not be as dominant as they once were though.

And as long as the various factions at Lucasfilm can focus on giving the fans quality products, such as good toys, games, books (and that means nothing idiotic like dropping moons on characters!), and a tv series or two, the hardcore Star Wars fans be happy for quite a while.
The Force will be with us...always.

Actually, he'd be two halves.Bad Solo, BAD! :whip:

Lazer Brain
09-20-2005, 04:34 PM
well... if we put more of the L RON HUBBARD spin on it , the FORCE will live forever!!!
come , bring your flock to the jedi temple near you and praise the staute of baby luke and liea in papa georges arms! yes, kick that dead horse and he'll move.
there will always be somthing out there that us hard core collectors will want, but for the most part it will fade away.
later

DTMAN
09-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Well, depending on your point of view.

We will see a glimpse next year with no movie coming or planned to come out.

If TV shows are below par or not on time, there will be another Dark period as it was after ROTJ in 1983.

However, this time LFL will not let it down as it has in the past.
Some events will see how they will treat the material with upcoming events: Ep. 3 DVD release, 30th Anniversary and ultimate Definitive DVD set (not stated, but I know they are planning one eventually).

We will see. Always the future in motion.

Darth Deering
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Nah... remember when we all thought it was over a few years after Jedi? There was No Hope! But, alas, we started to see action figures reappear, then rereleases, and then I, II, and III!!! Who'd a thunk it?!? I wouldn't count on movies, but I think it really could be doable. It's not just us 30+ year olds that are into SW. The little kids really like it... the way we did way back when. If something comes out in time, we can afford to lose a few long timers if need be. We've got reinforcements, even if they do like Jar Jar, they'll do! http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/images/smilies/lipsrsealed.gif
:lipsrseal

mikey1974
09-20-2005, 08:37 PM
this is....this is tough for me........i voted NO because i don't think it's over right now,nor do i think it's over in 2006......2007,however,i think will be the make or break year......this year,we still have the DVD,and more figures coming out.......however,past experience has shown that the year AFTER a movie comes out is a downward turn in figure sales.....in '99,SW was red hot ,but in fall 1999 going into 2000,you couldn't give away the darth maul's that were selling on e-bay for 200 bucks before the movie hit........they tried to make the "Power of the Jedi" line,which was only a modest success....then by mid-2001 it started to pick up again as people geared up toward AOTC......EP 2 hit and SW was the rage again,with figures selling out,but in fall 2002 into 2003 they were pegwarming.......in 2004 they introduced the OTC and VOTC lines,which re-energized the line leading into the ROTS line......EP3 hit and,again,figures were flying off the shelves......but i've already started to see the trend of pegwarming all over....all the newer releases and the evolution sets fly out of there,but everything else is sitting...... they'll sell moderatley well for the rest of the year,but Saga 2,i fear,will not re-energize the line next year.....and in 2007,they may do something else again,but with no movie excitement to have it lead into,i don't know if it will gain any momentum.....even if they make figures from the TV show,it won't be as successful as the movie lines......so my prediction:

good the rest of this year,lukewarm response in 2006,dead by christmas 2007.....however,in 2019,when lucas rereleases all the movies into theaters again to celebrate the 20th anniversary of TPM,hasbro or whoever will be there to capitalize with new figures,and a new generation of collectors and fans will make it a hit again.....

Mandalorian Candidat
09-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Yeah, it's definitely over as we know it. All the side stuff like the EU books, the Clone Wars cartoons and the rest are just the gristle on the tri tip steak that were the movies. I was convinced that it was over once the major retailers started reducing the shelf space of the EP3 toys in late June. There may be other things like the TV show, but it'll never be the same.

JimJamBonds
09-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Nope not over. I think this is the end of the movies but I believe the tv show will happen, the 3d release.... a new pimped out super duper saga edition etc. I don't think the toys will end, there is a demand so as long as that out there (ie MONEY) then the makers will continue. Star Wars will continue its too huge and to valuable to let it go.

TheDarthVader
09-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Not over...not yet! I am not sure if it has been mentioned, but the clone wars II dvd is due on december 6th. With that release, the interest may come back a little as with the ep3 release on november 1st. I don't know if I can see hasbro making figures until the license is up.

B.
TDV

JediTricks
09-21-2005, 05:37 PM
"perhaps I killed a Jedi and took it from Him"
"i don't think so, Nobody could kill a Jedi."

Just like young Anakin's statement to Qui Gon Jinn, Nobody can kill Star Wars. The Saga will never end as long as there are the faithful followers and artists willing to explore that galaxy far.....far away.;:thumbsup:Er, there's more at the end of the exchange though, basically Qui-Gon saying that Anakin's statement is not so. Plus, Qui-Gon did indeed get killed at the end of the film.

It will never be over, because there will always be people who complain about it. lolYou joke, but that's one of the reasons I started this thread, it's only been a few months yet barely anybody is actually talking about - positively or negatively - the new film, like it's over and done and old hat or something.

Maybe for the purists who only see the six movies and dismiss the rest, but for those of us who are EU fans, the ride is still running.Well, that ties into one of the claims that it's over, that when you look at the post-ROTJ era, until the Thrawn trilogy Star Wars' EU was on life-support with woefully low interest, and that we're going to see another ice age now that Ep 3 is over.

However, this time LFL will not let it down as it has in the past.
Some events will see how they will treat the material with upcoming events: Ep. 3 DVD release, 30th Anniversary and ultimate Definitive DVD set (not stated, but I know they are planning one eventually).This poll is asking voters to look PAST the Ep 3 DVD release since it's only a month away. As for the 30th anniversary, I remember the 10th anniversary, it was across the street from where I lived down under the flight path of LAX, it was not as major event as it should have been sadly, and Lucas was at that one (the Star Tours release at Disneyland around that same time got more general interest in SW back then I think).

Nah... remember when we all thought it was over a few years after Jedi? There was No Hope! But, alas, we started to see action figures reappear, then rereleases, and then I, II, and III!!!I remember a decade between ROTJ and new stuff happening, like the Thrawn trilogy and Galoob's SW Micro Machines line. Is a decade of inactivity enough to be considered "over"? I suspect most of the voters here would say so.

I don't think it's over right now, but having seen this poll's results, I think it could be within a year if cards aren't played right

Devo
09-22-2005, 07:29 AM
Depends on how 'loyal' Hasbro is to us, the people with the big attention spans, those of us who are more than 'casual' toy buyers. Certainly the casual buyers won't be arsed with it anymore. The vicious cycle of kids not buying the toys because they aren't seeing anything new and there not being anything new because the kids aren't buying the toys will play out again as it did after the EpI and Saga lines.

So the question will become does Hasbro see collectors as a worthwhile market. If not, it ends. And...*tentatively raises umbrella :nerv: *...that may not be such a bad thing - *OPENS UMBRELLA - FRUIT AND VEG IMMEDIATELY SLAM INTO THE SHIELD - IT CAN'T HOLD OUT :dead: * The only way I'm ever going to stop collecting these things is if they are no longer made and there are more compelling reasons for me to stop than there are to continue. I need it to end. I wish it didn't have to be that way but there it is.

mikey1974
09-22-2005, 01:46 PM
i guess i should clarify myself somewhat.....i guess what i meant to say is it won't be over - it will NEVER be over - by 2007,but i think it will go into a "down-time" period....similar to what happened from 1985 to 1995.....yes,there will still be books and video games and toys and such....but without any big "MAJOR" event to lead up to,interest will eventually wane to where only the die-hard collectors/fans are still interested,as has happened before.....i can remember,if you said you like SW in 1989,you were a geek,a dweeb,an idiot.....i expect the same to happen.....SW will once again belong to us "geeks".....no entertainment weekly cover stories or pepsi/frito lay promotions....which is fine: the heart and soul of this franchise,beyond lucas,has always layed with the fans of it,and now it's had it's turn in hollywood and big business again,and is now be returned to us once again.....

Depends on how 'loyal' Hasbro is to us, the people with the big attention spans, those of us who are more than 'casual' toy buyers. Certainly the casual buyers won't be arsed with it anymore. The vicious cycle of kids not buying the toys because they aren't seeing anything new and there not being anything new because the kids aren't buying the toys will play out again as it did after the EpI and Saga lines.

So the question will become does Hasbro see collectors as a worthwhile market. If not, it ends. And...*tentatively raises umbrella :nerv: *...that may not be such a bad thing - *OPENS UMBRELLA - FRUIT AND VEG IMMEDIATELY SLAM INTO THE SHIELD - IT CAN'T HOLD OUT :dead: * The only way I'm ever going to stop collecting these things if they are no longer made and there are more compelling reasons for me to stop than there are to continue. I need it to end. I wish it didn't have to be that way but there it is.
Devo,you make a great point.....beyond the crunch on my wallet and checkbook,there really IS only so many characters you can make....sure,there are still tons that can be made,but after they are...then what? do we really need to have a figure of the background guy who looks at anakin getting up after zam wessells speeder crashes? or episode 2 and 3 verions of sio bibble? there must come nad end to this at some point,as painful as it is....i'm not saying the line should end right now,but i really think 2 to 3 more years is enough time to get out all the figures collectors still want,then it's time to fold it up.....

Devo
09-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Devo,you make a great point.....beyond the crunch on my wallet and checkbook,there really IS only so many characters you can make....sure,there are still tons that can be made,but after they are...then what? do we really need to have a figure of the background guy who looks at anakin getting up after zam wessells speeder crashes? or episode 2 and 3 verions of sio bibble? there must come nad end to this at some point,as painful as it is....i'm not saying the line should end right now,but i really think 2 to 3 more years is enough time to get out all the figures collectors still want,then it's time to fold it up.....

Actually what I was saying is that I have personal reasons why it would be better for it to end. I'm addicted to these things and they are holding me back in life. The easiest way for me to stop is if production stops (as opposed to forcing myself to miss new toys still being made).

But what you say is true - there is simply no way we're going to get 'characters' like the guy who looks at Anakin in the scene where yada yada etc etc and we don't need figures from 'coming&going' scenes such as that. There are still many background characters from the OT though who have built up enough recognition from fans despite their minimal screentime and these should be made during whatever time the line has left in it - Jabba's palace/Carkoon figures, Cantina/Mos Eisley figures, Imperials and Rebels, droids etc. The prequels simply have too many background characters in almost every scene to bother with as far as I'm concerned. Like the AOTC Coruscant nightclub - for one thing it will probably never achieve the status of the Cantina in ANH - but if you look at everyone in it you're forced to admit that another 15 years of Star wars toys wouldn't get you all those characters!

So for the prequels I'd be satisfied with:

good versions of main characters and supporting characters
army builders
lesser good guy characters with speaking roles
lesser bad guy characters with speaking roles
some figures of people, aliens or droids who really stand out in certain key scenes which also feature main characters.

TCC-1972
09-24-2005, 02:09 AM
It's over for me! The Clone Wars Cartoon & Episode III completely ruined Star Wars for me. I will never be able to look at Star Wars like I did years ago. What used to be the coolest thing in my life has been turned into a lame joke!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :mad:

2-1B
09-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Why first now ? Why not with TPM or AOTC ? lol lol lol lol lol

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-24-2005, 09:45 AM
As long as their is money to be made, the franchise will endure.

We already know for certain about the upcoming t.v. show, more Celebration conventions, the enduring toy line--so at the very least there are some major events in the future that we can look forward to.

Then the big question is regarding the movies. Will there be future movies despite the fact the original planned six story franchise is over? I think that while we have to wait years, maybe decades, I don't think that Lucasfilm will ever letdown the horde of Star Wars followers around the globe for long. While George is involved with the project or not, there are future movies to be made.

Ji'dai
09-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Yes, it's over.

For me personally, it's over. Star Wars has been in decline for me since Episode I and my dissatisfaction with the other prequels have affected my old excitement and enthusiasm for Star Wars.

I'm apathetic about the TV series. I lost interest in television about ten years ago and my viewing habits since then have been sporadic at best. HBO TV series have brought me back to the medium, although I can count all the TV shows I regularly watch now on one hand and still have fingers to spare. I've grown accustomed to HBO TV - no commercials and none of the usual censorship. I'm not sure a SW TV series on the big commercial networks will interest me. The main thing I dread is if the series continues on with the horrid storylines from the PT.

I'm not interested in the other SW media. I like video games but they've just lost their appeal for me - I haven't bought any new ones since SOTE in '96. I've always liked the Expanded Universe (except for prequel era stuff), but new storylines unfortunately tie into or refer to the prequels.

As collecting goes, I've stayed with it through the prequel era but I found myself buying less and less. The PT is definitely a factor in my loss of enthusiasm for collecting. I'm also ****ed at the way Hasbro has managed the line in recent years. Price gouging, constant repacks, chase and exclusive toys (especially figures) have taken their toll on me. I'm not supporting this company any longer.

plasticfetish
09-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Why first now ? Why not with TPM or AOTC ? lol lol lol lol lolExactly what I was thinking.

How can you hate those cartoons anyway? :confused:

Devo
09-25-2005, 01:27 PM
I wish to add more thoughts...

I like the cartoons. And perhaps if the PT didn't insist on the pretence that it is 'live-action' - perhaps if it admitted that it is itself a cartoon, I'd like it as well. But this lark of trying to pass itself off as the same Star Wars as we see in IV, V and VI sort of undermines credibility.

For many of us 'good' star wars has been over since 1983 (for some others 1980). However this newfangled Star Wars isn't over and if you like it - thats great. I'll be entertained by it but not compelled to bow down before it like I continue to be when I watch The Empire Strikes Back.

As to the toyline...when was it that Hasbro renewed its contract till 2018? I can't recall. Why would they arrange such an extensive contract if they weren't expecting to still be making toys by then? Surely the post-film year lulls would have factored into their thinking about the future of the star wars toy line. Are they banking on the popularity of the TV show/s?

JediTricks
09-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah, Hasbro has the license till '18. But didn't Kenner have the license from '77 to '97? And they expected to do an EU line in '85 but interest 2 years after ROTS waned and retailers didn't go for it so Kenner had the line go dormant for a decade.

Devo
09-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah, Hasbro has the license till '18. But didn't Kenner have the license from '77 to '97? And they expected to do an EU line in '85 but interest 2 years after ROTS waned and retailers didn't go for it so Kenner had the line go dormant for a decade.

Ah. Thats what I was getting at. So their contract isn't so much a 'we have to make figures till 2018' as a 'tough s**t no one else gets to make figures in the meantime, its us or no one'. Right, so it really could just die.

Slicker
09-25-2005, 03:15 PM
I unfortunately voted that it's over. All that we have left is toys and internet Star Wars sites. I don't think the show will go over big and will undoubtedly get cancelled after and couple of episodes.

Ji'dai
09-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Ah. Thats what I was getting at. So their contract isn't so much a 'we have to make figures till 2018' as a 'tough s**t no one else gets to make figures in the meantime, its us or no one'. Right, so it really could just die. Yeah, that's exactly why Hasbro re-negotiated a 10-year extension on the license, announced in January 2003. In 1997, the main toy license areas (micro scale, 3-3/4" & 12") were up for renewal. With the highly-anticipated prequels on the horizon, Lucasfilm welcomed other toy companies to bid on the license. Mattel pushed the bidding over $1 billion for a 10-year license, which forced Hasbro to bid higher. Galoob, smallest and financially poorest of the big three toy makers, offered Lucasfilm a stake in their company. News of Galoob's deal with Lucasfilm caused it's stock to plummet and the company was acquired by Hasbro in October 1998. Hasbro had to meet all of Galoob's obligations though, including license fees and stock options with Lucasfilm.

I think Hasbro gained the advantage as audience reaction to the prequels was mixed or sharply divided; and as consumer sales also declined (Episode I product made a lot of money, but not as much as they expected, greedy bastards). So Hasbro was probably able to get an upper hand when re-negotiating an extension on the license without much fuss or competition.

From what I've read, Kenner was actually granted the license in perpetuity in April 1977. It was basically a gamble on their part anyway and Lucas wanted merchandising profits to help finance his production company. When Hasbro acquired Tonka Corporation in May 1991, they also acquired Kenner and the license. Thinking Star Wars was no longer marketable, Hasbro forgoes the licensing fee. The following month, in June 1991, Timothy Zahn's first book in The Thrawn Trilogy is released and is a runaway success. Hasbro continues to sit on the license, which opens the door to Just Toys (Bend-Ems) and Galoob (MicroMachines) to acquire licenses for their products in 1992. Both Just Toys and Galoob had Star Wars product on the shelves by Fall 1993. Hasbro/Kenner didn't get back into the game until late 1994 with the die cast Action Masters. And we all know the Hasbro/Kenner 3-3/4" & 12" lines returned in Summer 1995.

megaprime33
09-27-2005, 12:32 PM
My opinion on this matter is that star wars will not be dead or over. I do agree that once episode 3 and the clone wars dvds are released there will be a huge drop in the Star Wars franchise. But it will go back up again once the tv show comes out. Will there be another movie? Who knows. But like a lot of tv shows, they could always make a movie based on that. If of course it becomes popular enough.

When you look at it, the popularity is already starting to fade what with the price drop in figures for Ep 3 at Walmart. It's inevitable that we'll soon see Ep 3 figures for 3.99 at TRU. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.