PDA

View Full Version : Anakin vs. Obi-Wan ?

2-1B
01-18-2002, 12:50 AM
It is generally considered that these two will meet in a duel in EPIII. But do we know for a fact that they will? Literally, has there been any "official" confirmation?

I can't think of anything from the classic trilogy that proves it "happened". I do think it is likely, to play along with their duel in ANH.

But the way many prequel angles have gone, there might be some twist in the plotline that nobody anticipates . . . I know the ROTJ novelization refers to it, but it also cited the Obi/Owen brotherhood.

Thanks for your insights :)

GNT
01-18-2002, 03:40 AM
Didn't it mention it on the back of the card of Obi Wans figure from 95 that they duel and Obi wan won after Anakin fell into the pit?I bet will see it so I'm not worried :)

Fulit
01-18-2002, 10:49 AM
Lucas would be asking for a swift and brutal death if he didn't include this in E3. We've all been waiting for it much too long.

Jedi Clint
01-18-2002, 11:26 AM
I agree, it is the only thing I really expected to see since I heard they were making the prequels!

Jargo
01-18-2002, 01:39 PM
51 EXT DAGOBAH SWAMP - X-WING

Luke wanders back to where his ship is sitting. Artoo beeps a greeting, but is ignored by his depressed master. Luke kneels down, begins to help Artoo with the ship, then stops and shakes his head dejectedly.

LUKE
I can't do it, Artoo. I can't go on alone.

BEN (OS)
Yoda will always be with you.

Luke looks up to see the shimmering image of BEN KENOBI.

LUKE
Obi-Wan! Why didn't you tell me?

The ghost of Ben Kenobi approaches him through the swamp.

LUKE
You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father.

BEN
You father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I have told you was true... from a certain point of view.

LUKE (turning away, derisive)
A certain point of view!

BEN
Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Luke is unresponsive. Ben studies him in silence for a moment.

BEN
I don't blame you for being angry. If I was wrong in what I did, it certainly wouldn't have been for the first time. You see, what happened to your father was my fault.

Ben pauses sadly.

BEN
Anakin was a good friend.

Luke turns with interest at this. As Ben speaks, Luke settles on a stump, mesmerized. Artoo comes over to offer his comforting presence.

BEN
When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong. My pride has had terrible consequences for the galaxy.

Luke is entranced.

LUKE
There's still good in him.

BEN
I also thought he could be turned back to the good side. It couldn't be done. He is more machine now than man. Twisted and evil.

LUKE
I can't do it, Ben.

BEN
You cannot escape your destiny.

LUKE
I tried to stop him once. I couldn't do it.

BEN
Vader humbled you when first you met him, Luke...but that experience was part of your training. It taught you, among other things, the value of patience. Had you not been so impatient to defeat Vader then, you could have finished your training here with Yoda. You would have been prepared.

LUKE
But I had to help my friends.

BEN
grinning at Luke's indignation)And did you help them? It was they who had to save you. You achieved little by rushing back prematurely, I fear.

LUKE (with sadness)
I found out Darth Vader was my father.

BEN
To be a Jedi, Luke, you must confront and then go beyond the dark side - the side your father couldn't get past. Impatience is the easiest door - for you, like your father. Only, your father was seduced by what he found on the other side of the door, and you have held firm. You're no longer so reckless now, Luke. You are strong and patient. And now, you must face Darth Vader again!

LUKE
I can't kill my own father.

BEN
Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.

LUKE
Yoda spoke of another.

BEN
The other he spoke of is your twin sister.

LUKE
But I have no sister.

BEN
Hmm. To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.

LUKE
Leia! Leia's my sister.

BEN
Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit. But they could be made to serve the Emperor.

Luke looks into the distance, trying to comprehend all this.

BEN
(continuing his narrative)
When your father left, he didn't know your mother was pregnant. Your mother and I knew he would find out eventually, but we wanted to keep you both as safe as possible, for as long as possible. So I took you to live with my brother Owen on Tatooine... and your mother took Leia to live as the daughter of Senator Organa, on Alderaan.

Luke turns, and settles near Ben to hear the tale.

BEN
(attempting to give solace with his words)
The Organa household was high-born and politically quite powerful in that system. Leia became a princess by virtue of lineage... no one knew she'd been adopted, of course. But it was a title without real power, since Alderaan had long been a democracy. Even so, the family continued to be politically powerful, and Leia, following in her foster father's path, became a senator as well. That's not all she became, of course... she became the leader of her cell in the Alliance against the corrupt Empire. And because she had diplomatic immunity, she was a vital link for getting information to the Rebel cause. That's what she was doing when her path crossed yours... for her foster parents had always told her to contact me on Tatooine, if her troubles became desperate.

Luke is overwhelmed by the truth, and is suddenly protective of
his sister.

LUKE
But you can't let her get involved now, Ben. Vader will destroy her.

BEN
She hasn't been trained in the ways of the Jedi the way you have, Luke ... but the Force is strong with her, as it is with all of your family. There is no avoiding the battle. You must face and destroy Vader!

I still wanna see Alderaan though :D

SithDroid
01-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Anakin vs. Obi-Wan would be worth seeing in Episode III. As far as I know there was a treatment that was done where they did fight and Obi-Wan knocks Anakin into a lava pit. He is then rescued by the Emperor and rebuilt into the Vader we know of. I hope we can see some of this in Ep III, but who knows.

Co Jo-Da
01-18-2002, 03:04 PM
I think by the time Obi-Wan and Anakin dual in Episode III, Anakin will have fallen to the Dark-Side and will already be calling him-self Darth Vader.

Obi-Wan has two missions 1) protect Pademe from Vader and 2) try to bring Anakin back to the Light-Side. Obi-Wan probes Vader by calling him Anakin, this only enrages Vader more and Obi-Wan uses this to the limit.

I don't think the Obi-Wan doesn't really defeat Anakin as much as Vader defeats Anakin...

2-1B
02-09-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
I think by the time Obi-Wan and Anakin dual in Episode III, Anakin will have fallen to the Dark-Side and will already be calling him-self Darth Vader.

Obi-Wan has two missions 1) protect Pademe from Vader and 2) try to bring Anakin back to the Light-Side. Obi-Wan probes Vader by calling him Anakin, this only enrages Vader more and Obi-Wan uses this to the limit.

I don't think the Obi-Wan doesn't really defeat Anakin as much as Vader defeats Anakin...

I like this theory. I hope that Anakin has already turned and taken a Sith name before his near fatal clash with Kenobi. If Obi-Wan's first fight is with the pre-mechanical Anakin, then his ANH reunion would certainly seem like a meeting with the man who "betrayed and murdered" Anakin.

LTBasker
02-10-2002, 12:52 AM
Let's wait until this time in 2005 to worry about not seeing any confirmations on things for E3. :D

2-1B
02-10-2002, 02:53 AM
Oh, okay :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Co Jo-Da
02-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Episode III is going to be so dark, I just can't wait...

El Chuxter
02-18-2002, 01:14 PM
I think this duel will occur (and it had better be on a volcanic world) against the context of a greater, seemingly more pressing battle of the Clone Wars. Padme, Obi-Wan, Bail Organa, and Jar Jar Binks will try to confront Vader. Everything will seem to be going well, then Jar Jar will say something inane and set Vader over the edge. Bail and Padme will either have to deal with something else or try to revive Jar Jar, and Obi-Wan and Vader will take their duel into the volcano.

JetsAndHeels
02-18-2002, 03:37 PM
The answer to all of this lies in another movie. That movie is "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."
I will explain why.
In the scene where King Arthur has a swordfight with the Black Knight, he (Arthur) cuts off all of his limbs. The Knight is left only as a body with 4 stumps.
You see, Anakin will be like the Black Knight. Obi-Wan will totally destroy him and leave him broken. Once Anakin is defeated, Obi-Wan will toss him into the molten lava pit, where Anakin will bob up and down for about 5-10 minutes.
Palpatine will rescue him and then rebuild him (Palpatine was a great student in his shop class) into a machine.
Palps doesnt quite get it right the first time, and Vader looks more like a fembot from Austin Powers. So Palps decides to take Vader apart and try something new.
One day Palps is watching "Spaceballs" and sees Rick Moranis's character. It is then that the idea for Darth Vader comes along.
So Palps begins building the mechanical villain that we all have come to know.
The end.

2-1B
09-04-2005, 03:40 AM
Didn't it mention it on the back of the card of Obi Wans figure from 95 that they duel and Obi wan won after Anakin fell into the pit?

Yep, it did. :) In fact, that was one of the EU type sources that I had in mind when I started this thread (but I only mentioned its inclusion in the ROTJ novelization in my initial post). :)