PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars on PSP's UMD!

sith_killer_99
09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Did that get your attention?

No, I have not heard of any plans to put out any Star Wars films on UMD.

Here's the thing. I have seriously been looking into a new portable media device, something that will do video. I looked at the PSP and have found that a lot of films have been released on Sony's new proprietary UMD (Universal Media Disc) format specifically for the PSP.

I hate the idea of purchasing movies I already own! Why should I drop $250.00 for a machine that will end up costing me hundreds more just to watch films I already own on DVD, all for the pleasure of watching them on the go. Hence I will most likely go with a different device.

To Sony's credit the PSP is packed with other features such as gaming, wi-fi networking and best of all, this thing has web surfing capabilities. Oh and Sony has taken a few baby steps into the area of television programs that can be downloaded onto a PSP. But all of this is still not worth the price IMO.

So the point of my post is this...

Who has a PSP and who wants to see the Holy Trilogy available for PSP?

BTW, I am looking into an Archos AV700, mostly because I want to be able to take my television shows with me and the DVR feature is fantastic. You can record, pause, rewind, and watch live TV, then you can disconnect and take it with you, all on an big 7 inch widescreen display. Plus, you can hook it up to another television when you get to your destination, hotel, etc. and watch your shows on a bigger screen. The Archos has a built in hard drive that also lets you download other recorded media content, music, pics and movies (without copyright protection).

As for copyright protected films, there's always the basic portable DVD player. For the more advanced computer users there are ways to remove CSS encryption and download directly onto the Archos.;)

So how about it, who wants to see Star Wars for the PSP?

Rogue II
09-20-2005, 10:16 AM
I've been thinking about getting a PSP as well, but I just can't justify it. I play PS2 at home and my car stereo plays mp3s. When would I use it? If I stayed in the Air Force, I definatly would have bought for TDYs and deployments. But, since I got out, I don't travel nearly as much. But, in case I manage to talk myself into buying one, I want to see the OT on PSP.

By the way, one of my buddies bought a Lira. I forgot how big the built in hard drive is, plus he bought an external hard drive for it before he deployed to the middle east. Before he left, he loaded a ton of mp3s and converted a bunch of dvds onto the hard drive. He seems quite happy with it. He has a laptop, so he wasn't worried about games or internet.

Lord Malakite
09-20-2005, 11:05 AM
To Sony's credit the PSP is packed with other features such as gaming.
Thats not exactly a plus sign to be considered one of the "other features" when its the whole reason Sony created it in the first place - to compete with Gameboy, hence "Playstation Portable". Hasn't exactly been doing as much gaming as it should be though, they seem much more focused on bringing out movies in their unique "UMD" format. Sorry to say, but I can't justify buying this thing if they don't plan to make any games for it and decide to stick with just releasing movies on a unique format only playable on the PSP itself. You'd be much better off just buying one of those portable car DVD players.lol

El Chuxter
09-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Something about PSP screams "Beta redux" to me. I don't foresee it lasting long.

Daz
09-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Sith_killer_99 Who has a PSP and who wants to see the Holy Trilogy available for PSP?

I would'nt bother even if they did release them on umd why would you bother forkin out for them again when you can just buy a 1 gig memory stick, rip the Dvd's to your computer compress em and transfer them to your memory stick as needed thats what I did.:thumbsup:

On a completly unrelated topic does anybody know why after posting about about ten times in the past day or two on various different threads my post counter reads 2 ? . . . . . . it's very disconcerting

Rogue II
09-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Something about PSP screams "Beta redux" to me. I don't foresee it lasting long.

That's one of my concerns as well. But, I think it will last. What I'm worried about is that First, there will be a price drop, then a version with improved hardware and features...etc.

On a completly unrelated topic does anybody know why after posting about about ten times in the past day or two on various different threads my post counter reads 2 ? . . . . . . it's very disconcerting

Posts in some sections don't count. (I think they are the trading section and the Misc. section.)

El Chuxter
09-20-2005, 01:47 PM

I believe a lot of your posts have been in the Rancor Pit, and those don't count toward your total.

Daz
09-20-2005, 01:51 PM
El Chuxter I believe a lot of your posts have been in the Rancor Pit, and those don't count toward your total.

Cheers for the info Chuxter

General_Grievous
09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
I have a PSP, and yes, I would love to see the OT as well as ROTS in UMD format. Maybe they'll be released for it one day, but who knows with GL. Remember how long it took him to crank out the OT on DVD?

sith_killer_99
09-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Thats not exactly a plus sign to be considered one of the "other features" when its the whole reason Sony created it in the first place - to compete with Gameboy, hence "Playstation Portable". Hasn't exactly been doing as much gaming as it should be though, they seem much more focused on bringing out movies in their unique "UMD" format.

I agree. According to the website there are 59 games for the PSP and 123 movies. Thats more than twice as many movies as games. Besides if they wanted to "compete" with gameboy they missed the mark, the PSP costs three times as much as a gameboy advance.:rolleyes:

Sony's UMD format is also a huge turn off, the PSP seems more like an overpriced gadget for rich kids.

I would'nt bother even if they did release them on umd why would you bother forkin out for them again when you can just buy a 1 gig memory stick, rip the Dvd's to your computer compress em and transfer them to your memory stick as needed thats what I did.

Good point, but again that gets "sticky" with copyright stuff. Sure, it's easy to bypass, but "legally" speaking it's supposed to be a no no, even though I believe it falls under "fair use" DMCA says that "any attempt to bypass..." is in violation of the copyright.

Personally, I would be a lot more tempted to get on board with PSP if it were priced under $100.00 and if the movies were priced at $5.00 or less. To me that seems a lot more fair. Another factor that could possibly sway me would be if Sony were to give up their stupid proprietory format and allow UMD to become "Universal". If users were able to burn their own data to blank UMD discs, and if those discs were reasonably priced. Companies could easliy design "plug and play" mini drives that plug into your PC via USB 2.0 or Firewire.

Anyway, I could go on forever with what Sony "could" do, with the PSP.

The bottom line is, at current prices and limitations I will pass on the PSP.

It looks more and more like Archos may be the way to go for me.:D

2-1B
09-21-2005, 01:52 AM
There's no way I would ever put my money into this venture.