PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Leia Organa (Bespin Gown)

LusiferSam
09-19-2005, 11:45 PM
This week we began the ESB line and starting out is Leia Organa (Bespin Gown) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=12669&cat=3443). The second version of Princess Leia was first released in 1980 on a 31 Back card. She can be found on many of the major card back types, but was not on a POTF card. Her accessories are a blue Princess Leia blaster and a printed pink vinyl cape. There are several variations with Bespin Leia. First, the card photo changed was from a profile shot on the 31 Backs to a front shot on the 32 and higher card backs. Second, is the figure's neck. There are three types of necks: flesh neck (a flesh colored neck), turtle neck (a red colored neck), and green neck (a green or gold colored neck). The flesh and green neck are based on the same head sculpture, where as the turtle neck uses a different one. The green comes a from an oxidation of the gold paint to paint to the whole neck.

This was the first on three Leia figures I'd end up getting as a kid. I played with her a lot until I got Poncho Leia and then rarely played with her after that. I lost the gun early on and destroyed the cape in quick order. And is yet another reason I hate the vinyl capes. From the amount of paint wear I can easily say she got played with hard (for some reason that just sounds wrong when talking about a female figure). Personal I like the turtle neck version best. I having only known that version as a kid I think the flesh neck looks weird (the face is all funny).

vader121
09-20-2005, 08:02 AM
I actually had 2 of this figure as a kid. Lost the capes very quickly and don't even recall ever having the gun (for any Leia figure for that matter). This was a figure who was good for having a complete crew for Bespin scenes but overall the figure wasn't too great for play as she really couldn't hold a gun well (remember I lost my Leia guns early).

I think I have all 3 of the versions now but am not sure which versions I had as a kid. Although I do like the turtle neck version myself.

trandoshan666
10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I still have the turtleneck version, and I too, quickly lost the blaster and tore the cape. I didn't play with this one as much as I did the one from ANH, so the paint job on mine is still in pretty good shape. I actually think it looks better without the cape, anyway.