PDA

View Full Version : Classic Trilogy DVD still images

jlw
09-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know how to copy still (paused) images from the dvd into still photos? Do I need a special dvd player software? If so, what? Preferribly one that doesn't cost an arm & a leg. Or is there another way. Right now I only have Windows Media Player & InterActual Player (came with the dvd-rw). Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

jlw
09-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey I figured it out! If you get the Cyberlinks Power DVD player you can pause a scene and copy the image. Its pretty cool.

I've been copying images from the Cantina scene for a diorama/playset I am making. I've come across a couple of things I don't guess I've ever noticed before. Like in the streets of Mos Eisley there is another landspeeder exactly like Lukes going the opposite direction. Can't tell if its a mirror image or not.

Also, there's sort of a blooper, in the Mos Eisley scenes. Where you see Luke's speeder go past the Ronto, where the swoop trooper turns in front of the Ronto; look behind the ronto and you can see the Mos Eisley Cantina with the three Jawas sitting in front of the door. Then a couple of blocks down the road Luke turns and comes in front of the Cantina "again".

I'll try to post the images sometime later

Slicker
09-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Or if you don't have PowerDVD and you have just regular Media Player I'm pretty sure that you can pause it and hit the print screen button then go and past it into paint and that'll get you the same thing. Not sure though because I haven't tried it.

DarthMasan
09-25-2005, 08:13 PM
i tried to copy an image, but when you left right click you don't get anything about copying an image-what iam i missing?? iam using power dvd like you said.

Slicker
09-25-2005, 08:40 PM
On my copy of PowerDVD it has a button you push on the control screen that takes screen shots and saves them into a folder.

jlw
09-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Yeah, on the "remote control" looking tool bar there is a button with a camera image on it. Click that, it takes the pictures. But first you might want to click on the "configuration" button to set up what file the images are saved to. The images are saved as bitmap images, but you can open them in MS paint and then save them as a jpeg.

I've copied a lot of images from the Cantina, then opened them in Adobe Photoshop, adjusted the brightness and contrast to see the image better. The cantina scene is my absolute favorite of the entire Trilogy, but it is also the most riddled with inconsistencies, due to re-shoots, re-re-shoots, added shots and Special Edition shots.

For example the "Rodian" who turns to look at Luke IS NOT Greedo. There are at least two "rodians" in the Cantina, one sitting in the alcove with Han & Jenny, when Luke enters the Cantina, and then another one in the opposite alcove sitting with Bo Shek, Tzizzt, Wiosley, Mosep, & a human (clearly seen in the bonus disc). However, through editting I think Lucas was trying to convey that it was the same character. It doesn't work though, because with the Widescreen version, when Luke scans the Cantina, you can clearly see a Rodian sitting with "Jenny" (or possibly another female) at Hans table. This is also the same table where the Rodian sits with Danz Borin, the "Cantina Dude" aka "Yellow Spacer" and Nebrun Leids.

Also, there are two "Takeels" or "Zuttons" (depending on what you want to call him/them). When Wuher points his finger at Luke and the patrons at the bar turn around; to the left of the screen is one Takeel; then look at the back far right corner of the bar and you will see another Takeel/Zutton standing next to the guy who looks like he was in the Grinch movie.

JediTricks
09-27-2005, 08:34 PM
On my Windows Media Player, saving the image is under the View>DVD Features submenu, but I think it varies depending on which codec you're using.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Windows Media Player 10 for XP...hit "ctrl" + "I"

just do it while the movie is playing and it'll capture it.

that's how I got my MASH avatar.

My ATI software has it too, it's also ctrl + I