PDA

View Full Version : Pack-ins, Pack-ins, Pack-ins!

JediCole
08-21-2001, 12:37 PM
No, that's not a creature from Episode II, just the term for what comes with a figure. Hasbro has become much better at producing thoughtful pack-ins (or a lack thereof, I salute the choice not to give the new X-Wing Pilot Luke a gun of any kind). So I want to make a few suggestions of more pack-ins (and which figures they should come with) for the benefit of furher discussion. This will also serve as a further wish list.

#1 Scurriers
Garuf Lafoe (w/two Scurriers as pack-in accessories) - This is the guy from the Cantina who slips out to inform local Stormtroopers of trouble in the bar. 3PO comments that he doesn't like the look of the conversation. While this character plays as somewhat vital role in the sequence and would fill up the Cantina, I can't say I'd really ever thought to include him on a want list before now. While considering pack-ins it occurred to me that this would be an ideal figure to include the Scurriers from the Special Edition. Now, to do these guys justice, there would be two, one with and one without horns. And they would be jointed at the hips and neck (for side to side movement of the neck). Of course we would probably just have to settle for an inarticulate solid plastic piece, but that would be better than nothing, especially if there were two. And a far superior accessory pack-in than a huge gun.

#2 Swamp Flyer
I've mentioned this in another thread, we need a new Yoda figure with a Swamp Flyer (smaller than the Complete Galaxy one) and a snake or two.

#3 "Porch Light" Droid
There is a very long call number for this droid that I don't have time to look for, see my Resculpt Roundup post if you are curious. When Luke is looking for R2 at dusk, you see these little light up top droids buzz around along the grounds. No need for fancy light up gimics, but it would be nice to have one as a pack-in with a re-released, re-sculpted Owen Lars (carded) figure.

#4 Bubo
Everybody wants Bubo and I will say again that the best approach is a Jawa (with palm frond fan) and Bubo two pack.

#5 Sic-Six
This bizarre, black, multi-eyed, worm-like creature can be seen very briefly when Jabba and company are revealed behind Curtain #1 after Jabba has a nice chuckle at Han's expense. Sic-Six would make a great pack-in for any Jabba's Palace character.

#6 Worrt
The frog-like creature (also known as Road Creature) seen in a dawn establishing shot of the exterior of Jabba's Palace. Again, a great pack-in for any Jabba's Palace character, especially those that are less marketable.

#7 Scout Droid (?)
The little droids seen in the background on the Trade Federation flagship in one scene and collecting Battle Droid parts after the battle with the Gungans in Episode I. Use as either a pack-in with Daultry Dofine or as a two-pack with Battle Droid parts as the pack in.

That is my primary list of ideal pack-ins. To be certain there are other accessories (like drinking cups of various types for Cantina denizens and ordinance crates for Rebel Soldiers that come to mind as well. Voice your choices and opinions today!

JediTricks
08-22-2001, 02:00 PM
#7 "Scout Droid" is the PK Droid.

I think Luke X-wing should have come with an X-wing flight stick. I like accessories for figures more than anything else packed in with a figure.

JediCole
08-22-2001, 04:26 PM
A big thank you to Jedi Tricks for the ID on the PK Droid. Does anyone know if Humsup's avatar is a non-metalic PK Droid image or a SD Battle Droid?

JediTricks
08-23-2001, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a Super Deformed Battle Droid.

Learn all about the PK Droids at the official site:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/pk4/index.html

Darth Cruel
08-25-2001, 02:23 AM
I have to disagree on the lack of a blaster being a good thing on the new Jedi Luke as blasters are an accessory, not a pack-in and are part of the equipment the pilots have available to them in the movies (remember Dagobah). It would have been a perfectly appropriate accessory. I realize that this figure is not representative of the Dagobah scene, but I figure Hasbro will probably not produce one. So a blaster with one of the new useable holsters would have been cool. I do agree that Hasbro needs to pay more attention to the pack-ins. They have yet to get it right. My personal preference is for NO pack-ins, but if they just can't leave well enough alone, then a stand would be about the best idea. I also like JT's idea of the X-Wing controls as an accessory. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought the only cool thing about pilot Anakin was the Naboo Starfighter controls that came with him. Of course it would have been best if they had just been in the ship. But for some reason I really liked them anyway and I wish Hasbro would find a way to get us that type of accessory for the T.I.E. and X-Wing fighters as well. I would be all for a resculpt of a T.I.E. Fighter pilot articulated to sit correctly in the Fighter with a set of controls that could be affixed the same way the controls for the Naboo Starfighter were.

El Chuxter
08-27-2001, 01:15 PM
Worrt would be a bad pack-in idea. I understand that he only appears small because of the shot, and is actually as big as or bigger than Jabba. :)

JediCole
08-27-2001, 01:39 PM
There must be something I've missed in the wonderful world of "backstory" that now pervades the Star Wars Universe. I am curious about how El Chuxter determined the scale of that shot. It has always appeared to me as an establishing shot of some Tatooine wildlife obtaining a healthy snack at suns rise. I recently had the pleasure of standing mere inches from the actual, original Worrt puppet and it is no larger than a small dog. Granted, if the intention was that the creature was a formidable, enourmous animal capable of swollowing a grown man whole and the establishing shot did little to convey that then perhaps Chuxter is right, it is a bad pack-in idea. However, if there is nothing in the literature to support this interpretation, I suggest that Chuxter watch that shot again with close attention to foreground verses background perspective. And frankly, despite the wonderful world of post-facto backstory, I believe most people would agree that upon initial viewing, Worrt appeared to be no bigger than the puppet itself.

evenflow
08-27-2001, 05:05 PM
I have to agree, those small figures make the line intereting.

I would love to see:

Bubo - (I hope they pack him in w/ Ephant Man)

Hoover - another creature from Jabba's palace - he should come with Yarna D'al Gargan

Training remote - not a creature but i would love one for the standard line

JediCole
09-03-2001, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by evenflow

Training remote - not a creature but i would love one for the standard line

A good point and one that slipped my mind. The training remote, like the interrogation droid that came with the CT Vader, would be an important accessory. It should have come with the POTJ Ben Kenobi, actually. Perhaps the pleas for better accessory packs will be heard and we will get things like this that strengthen the line, rather than grapling hook backpacks, squirting fish, and inane weapons that never appear anywhere.

Eternal Padawan
06-18-2002, 10:10 AM
A training remote like the system that came with the Vintage Falcon playset would be cool. Have a sturdy base with an arm and a thin piece of clear filament wire with the "remote" hanging from it. the only real problem would be whether to pack it with (sigh) a Resculpt of Luke and his blastshield helmet or (sigh) a Resculpt of Old Ben Kenobi. Let the grumbling about resculpts commence.

Garuf Lafoe. Wow. THERE's an obscure character. I remember him from the CCG cards, but I don't remember him in the movie. When and where does he show again?

Beast
06-18-2002, 12:17 PM
I would go with the re-sculpt of Old Ben, Eternal Padawan. Give him articulation to sit, and cloth lower robes and a cloth cloak so he could sit in the landspeeder. Then go ahead and pack-in the training remote.

I tire of Luke: Tatooine Outfit. Only one I still want of that, is a version with his poncho. Which should hopefully be included with the upcoming 25th Anniversary Landspeeder from TRU. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
06-18-2002, 03:22 PM
Humsups avatar i think is an animated baby battle droid. It was the star of a short fanfilm by a Spanish guy who i forget the name of but know his psuedonym begins with a P. The movie is really really cool and shows the baby battle droid kicking some cameraman butt. It'd make a really cool robot toy too.

Pack ins should be accessories. each figure should pack with all the accessories they use in the movies as hand props. If they use a wrench then they should pack with one. if they use a gun then they should pack with that gun. if they have more than one scene and wear a jacket in one scene and don't wear it afterward then give the figure swappable arms and a removable rubber jacket body so we can have the figure with or without the jacket. If they wear a hat or helmet then give us the hat or helmet as a removable item. Pack in any small critters that are relevent to that character, like packing a scurrier rodent with the sandtrooper would have been right. We see in the SE version of ANH that the scurriers run around the sandtroopers feet in the streets. A missed opportunity.
All the figures suffer from a lack of accessories where they should have them. And those that don't have any accessories or just one usually end up with a useless gun that was never in the movies and the character wouldn't use anyway.
I'm thinking particularly about cantina characters with a small personal arsenal of weapons and no drinks vessel as they had in the movie. Fine if you want to gibve them a useless gun but pack in the drinks vessels and lets get a group of cantina patrons who look like they are getting happy not about to shoot each other to tiny atoms.
Forget the gimmicky guns and stupid spring loaded missile firing backpacks. We don't need that rubbish. We need a good articulated figure and tons of accessories modelled on the props in the movies.