PDA

View Full Version : Insider 84

Blackened88
09-22-2005, 11:15 AM
What did you guys think about this issue, what cover did you get, I got Bly. I for one am very disapointed with the Clone Guide. I expected more things from the movie rather than mostly made up EU, and they couldn't even get Commander Bly correct. Disapointed :dis:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-22-2005, 06:05 PM
I was hoping for more of an actual film guide as well, such as pictures and info on all the differently armored clones in AOTC and ROTS. It was good, but too minimal.

I don't know if they got Bly wrong, but the said that Appo's (the guy who tells Bail to leave) name was Fox (and they didn't mention the real Fox, the guy from Utapau). Oh well.

Phantom-like Menace
09-28-2005, 01:39 AM
I got the Gree cover. I had forgotten there were three different covers, and I was in a hurry, so I just grabbed one.

The Commander Bly problem is inexcusable, right up there with Mace's Episode I lightsaber. At least Bly's cover has the man himself. Mr. JabbaJohnL, the Visual Dictionary mistakenly captioned a picture of one of Bly's grunts as being Bly himself. The Bly Guys don't have macrobinoculars nor do they have the extra areas of paint on the lower part of the helmet and thighs. The article perpetuates that mistake.

An early source (the screenplay?) gave the name Fox to the clone who talks to Bail. When the name circulated, it was assumed any clone with a name must be a commander, so people began casting about for a likely clone to be named Commander Fox. The most notable nameless clone was the clone with Cody, so he ended up being dubbed Commander Fox. It was an assumption made by fans. It seems the commander of the 501st is Commander Appo, and he may look like a blue version of Gree, though this last may be as much an assumption as Commander Fox.

On the topice of the Clone Formerly Known as Commander Fox, it seems he is actually Major Jorir, though the article doesn't give us a picture, leaving us guessing yet again. He seems to be the clone mentioned in the following sentence: "Commanders Cody and Oddball often led the Squad, although Major Jorir (CT-43/76-9155) handled the Squad's day-to-day operations."

I think the weirdest thing this article does is call out several special groups of clones (the Star Corps, the Galactic Marines, the 41st Elite, and lancer battalions) then calls out specific clones (Fordo, Bacara, Fox, Deviss, and "Jag" Jai'galaar) and the groups mentioned don't really correlate with the clones mentioned. If you're going to give the Star Corps an entry, you might give Bly an entry; that would make sense. If you're giving the 41st an entry, you might give Gree an entry. If you give Fox an entry, you might give the 501st an entry. Incidently, Fordo is the ARC trooper who takes the battery in the Clone Wars Cartoon, Deviss is the red Hasbro figure who finally gets a name, and Jag is the pilot who shoots down Plo Koon.

I'm slightly annoyed the article didn't shine some light on lesser known troopers like Appo and Faie. They seem to exist, even if only in the expanded universe. The fact that Neyo was only mentioned in one sentence at the end of Bacara's entry was odd. Also, in order to get information about Gree and Bly you have to glean it piecemeal from the entire article, because they don't have their own entries. And I find it commentable that Karen Traviss was involved in writing the article, and there is really not that much mention of the Republic commandos.

Some of the best information in the article pertains to the organization of the Grand Army. It gives troop strengths from squad to Grand Army in the order squad, platoon, company, battalion, regiment, legion/brigade, corps, sector army, systems army, Grand Army. It gives special operations strength from squad, to troop, to company, to commando group, and on to special operations brigade.

I'm not unhappy I purchased it, but it's not what I wanted.

I feel I should mention, though, that page 34 of the magazine has a Wookiee Jedi concept that just screams to made by a customizer.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Oh ok, I looked back at the article and noticed the Bly mistake. I just didn't notice it the first time.

The reason I thought Appo was the 501st leader was because on Hyperspace's avatars, there's a 501st trooper with the name Commander Appo underneath. I suppose Fox could be in it as well, if he's mentioned in the script. Also, Jorir could be the other guy on Utapau . . . ahh, they need to make a better clone guide.

Phantom-like Menace
09-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Yep, as far as anyone can tell, Commander Appo commands the 501st Legion, and one of his sergeants who apparently distinguished himself well enough to get a name is Sergeant Fox, who told Jimmy Smits to take a hike at the Jedi Temple.

Blackened88
09-28-2005, 11:31 PM
The reason I thought Appo was the 501st leader was because on Hyperspace's avatars, there's a 501st trooper with the name Commander Appo underneath. I suppose Fox could be in it as well, if he's mentioned in the script. Also, Jorir could be the other guy on Utapau . . . ahh, they need to make a better clone guide.

I also thought he was Appo because of Hyperspace Avatars. :) Also from what I heard the writers of the Clone Guide had plenty more info to be written but they told them to keep it short.