PDA

View Full Version : was everybody able to get the -blink and you missed it- 3PO bust yesterday?

Jaster
09-23-2005, 03:21 PM
I saw an ebay auction yesterday morning for the Ep .II painted C-3PO bust that had been previously shown at Celebration III and again at San Diego Comic con earlier this year. The auction claimed that it was an exclusive at the Art of Star Wars Exhibition on November 19th at the Singapore Science Center and was limited to 2500. Not having heard even a rumor about this I checked the usual websites for validation and found that Scum had the story on their front page and indeed this was legit. After some more digging I found out that the 2500 was going to be split into 3 allocations- 1500 for the exhibit, 500 for UK website and the last 500 was going to be split to the U.S.

On Scum's recommendation everybody hearded over to UK retailor Forbiddenplanet.com for preorders at 67.99$ a pop plus shipping to be 20-25$ fearing a shortage, but at around 3 pm Shopstarwars.com put it up at thier website very unannounced @ 49.99$ plus shipping. Everyone then hearded back to forbiddenplanet to cancel thier preorders! (I would have hated to be thier customer service yesterday) lol

Sorry about the rant! was anybody else able to get an order in? I got mine in at around 3:30 yesterday without a problem.

Hellboy
09-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Nope missed it. :mad: And it wasn't like I wasn't thinking about it either since I had just posted in another thread about SWShop getting these. Initially I wasn't even planning on getting one but after seeing it I changed my mind. Oh well, can't win them all I suppose.

MBNA is doing a chrome version though which would make for a nice TC-14. I've never been interested in the chrome pieces but this one I think I'm going to
get. This is the pic of it that was posted over at RS.

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2005/mbnachrome3po.jpg

TheLastStormtrooper
09-23-2005, 08:45 PM
I was able to get one this morning.:pleased:

Jayspawn
09-23-2005, 10:17 PM
I didnt think they would get it SO fast. It didnt even occur to me to check. I'm hith Hellboy hoping that the Collector's Club will offer it.

Jayspawn
09-23-2005, 10:44 PM
I sent Gentle Giant an email suggesting/asking if they would look into making it available for the Collector's Club. Its worth a shot.

2-1B
09-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the post Hellboy, I thought maybe the one I am getting from MBNA would be this AOTC deal but you already cleared that up for me. Hey I'll gladly take a TC-14, I can have it out on display during HBO's Rome since she's on the show. :D

TatooineQueenPLJ
09-24-2005, 08:02 PM
I saw that same auction listing and then found out they were on SWshop.com right afterwards. I didn't waste any time and placed my order.

So AOTC C-3PO will be mine :thumbsup: BTW I want a Chrome one too - it'd be awesome having all 3 C-3PO's displayed together.

Turbowars
09-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Damn GG. I guess I'll just add him to my No Can Find or buy list. I have the $ to give you, but you don't want to sell to me.:cross-eye

Jaster
09-25-2005, 01:20 AM
You know it is wierd how the whole thing went down in one day, unannounced by anybody. Not Sirsteve, not scum, not GG or any official word from SWS.com. It was just there all of a sudden. At SDCC I asked one of the gentlemen at the booth if he could give me any info on where or when it would be made available, but to no succses and then for it to show up the way it did? :shocked:

I got lucky I had the day off and was doing nothing better than sitting at the PC, right time-right place I guess. To those who got it, congrats. To those that missed it, hopefully it won't be to bad in the secondary market.

gsr-jedi
10-01-2005, 05:33 AM
I got my order in at SWS that evening and I didn't know they only had 500, I had no idea it would sell out so fast. It's always funny that the items people seem to complain about the most always so out the fastest.

BlueSnags
10-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Missed it. Is it going to be put back up on SWS.com? Anybody know? I'd like one of these, they look pretty cool.

Snags

Jayspawn
10-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Sorry snags, but I think this is another exclusive Gentle Giant let us down on again.

Reefer Shark
10-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Gone gone gone.... so sad. I've been clicking away at sws.com hoping for a miracle (hey, it worked for me with chrome Vader and chrome Stormy after they had sold out!).

Just when I have given up hope, I stumble across this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6568149630&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This guy apparently will have access to 50 of them. The real sad thing is, at just under $100 with shipping, I'm actually thinking about ordering one from him :cross-eye.

BlueSnags
10-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Gone gone gone.... so sad. I've been clicking away at sws.com hoping for a miracle (hey, it worked for me with chrome Vader and chrome Stormy after they had sold out!).

Just when I have given up hope, I stumble across this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6568149630&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This guy apparently will have access to 50 of them. The real sad thing is, at just under $100 with shipping, I'm actually thinking about ordering one from him :cross-eye.

Hmmmm... that's not the worst offer I've seen. Let me know if you end up ordering one, I'll probably do the same.

Snags

Jayspawn
10-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Sounds tempting but I'm resisting the urge to do so. I held out on the Luke Stormtrooper bust and I ended up scoring one at an awesome price. Maybe I'll do the same -but I'm trying to get lucky by checking SWS.com constantly hoping it pops up again -since GG let us Collector's Club Members down again.

Hellboy
10-11-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm not willing to fork over that much coin for another threepio mini bust. I'd certainly like one but I don't think I'd pay more than $75 for him.

If anyone notices these pop back up at SWShop.com be sure to post it here so we can all jump on them. Not that it will happen but one can always hope.

Jayspawn
10-11-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm with you Hellboy, $75 would be my limit.

Jayspawn
10-27-2005, 03:18 PM
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

It was BACK UP at SWS.com today! I kept clicking Add to Cart, Add to Cart over and over again and it kept saying there was an error every time!! Now its not there! Curse them! Curse them!!!!

Hellboy
10-28-2005, 02:50 PM
That sucks. I've pretty much written this mini-bust off. Unless of course they show up on eBay for a reasonable price but I'm not holding out hope anymore. :(

jedi master sal
11-14-2005, 08:48 AM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I was able to order mine from shopstarwars.com the first time. I got my confirmation e-mail that it has been sent. I'm expecting to recieve it tomorrow or Wednesday.

I understand that GG deosn't want to lose money on these things, but dang, they sure do make it hard to get some of the bust with the limited runs...

Hmm, I wonder which 500 U.S. customers will get? Whether it's a block of 500 or intespersed within the whole 2500.

I don't usually care about which number I get, but just once I'd like to get a cool number like 327, or 1977 or in this case 2002 (since that's the year the movie came out). I'll post the number once I get it.

-Sal

Jayspawn
11-14-2005, 10:38 AM
You were one of the lucky ones JMS.

Yeah, Gentle Giant's customer service is crap and their so called "Collector's Club" is a joke.

Jayspawn
11-14-2005, 12:25 PM
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:frus: :frus: :frus:

Its IN STOCK RIGHT NOW!!!!!! And I cant get it into my shopping cart!!!!

Curse you! Curse you!

Jayspawn
11-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Its gone now. My God this is cruel. Strike 2 for me.

BlueSnags
11-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Its gone now. My God this is cruel. Strike 2 for me.

What a load of crap. I made a run to Burger King to pick up the new toys, was gone for maybe an hour, and this happens. Still don't have one of these. Screw Gentle Giant and SWS.com.

Hellboy
11-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah it did go back up but I couldn't get one either. Same thing happened Friday about this time so if they're going to be adding more this might be the time of day to try checking. Probably just people canceling orders but it sure would be nice if SWShop had some sort of waiting list rather than just randomly throwing extras back up for few minutes. :upset:

There are a few auctions on eBay at the moment. So far the prices aren't out of control, yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gentle-Giant-C-3PO-Star-Wars-Episode-II-Exclusive-Bust_W0QQitemZ6578570470QQcategoryZ98032QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gentle-Giant-Exclusive-C-3PO-EpII-Bust-Star-wars-statue_W0QQitemZ6577253488QQcategoryZ73559QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-SHOP-Exclusive-Episode-II-C-3PO-Mini-Bust_W0QQitemZ6578559451QQcategoryZ73559QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gentle-Giant-C-3PO-Mini-Bust-StarWarsShop-Exclusive-EP2_W0QQitemZ6012992735QQcategoryZ751QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Reefer Shark
11-14-2005, 10:16 PM
I ended up getting mine from an ebay seller too. Unfortunately, SWS.com sucks, and they can go screw themselves for all I care (see my bitter post in the Kotobukiya thread).

They don't give a crap about their customers. In fact, at this point I hate SWS.com so much, that I'm happy to give someone else a few dollars more for this stuff... So my my ebay purchase works out OK for me.

jedi master sal
11-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Whoo-hoo, I just received mine today.

There's only 2500 of this bad-boy as opposed to the 8000 run of him in golden form. They held 1500 of them to sell at the exhibit in Japan, so I didn't think I would get a number lower than that, but I did... MUCH lower!

I got number 63! Wow! That's a low freakin' number. I konw these numbers don't really mean all that much. Maybe 94, 327, 1977, 1980, 1983 and the other movie years would be cool to own. But I don't usually care about the number. In this case though, since it WAS so hard to get and being that they kept 3/5 of them in Japan, I'm ecstatic that I somehow got such a low number.

BTW, the bust itself is very nice. It appears to be the exact smae bust as the golden one, just the AOTC paint app. Strange thing is the arms are almost black. I check with a couple other websites and this seems to be the case, so I'm cool with it.

Anyway...who else got there's in yet? What number? Are you satisfied with the sculpt/paint app/number?

-Sal

Hellboy
11-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Well I decided to buy the AOTC C-3PO on eBay and paid $75. I thought it was a pretty good deal all things considered. If anyone else wants to go this route and is paying via Paypal use this coupon code C1-Holiday2005 and you could save an extra 10% on your purchase like I did. Good luck. :)

BlueSnags
11-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Well I decided to buy the AOTC C-3PO on eBay and paid $75. I thought it was a pretty good deal all things considered. If anyone else wants to go this route and is paying via Paypal use this coupon code C1-Holiday2005 and you could save an extra 10% on your purchase like I did. Good luck. :)

I did the same thing. Doubtful that they'll be back on sws.com that this point.

TheLastStormtrooper
11-17-2005, 08:22 PM
I got number 64/2500:)

Hellboy
11-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Thats cool. From what I'm hearing the lowest numbers went to the US.

Jayspawn
11-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Looks like the C-3PO and Clone Pilot busts are gonna have to wait. I had some unexpected Master Replicas purchases. :p

Reefer Shark
12-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Mine showed up yesterday. I just opened it, and it looks pretty damn cool!:thumbsup:

Jayspawn
12-02-2005, 09:52 AM
(still dont have one yet. Maybe I'll buy myself one for Christmas)

Hellboy
12-02-2005, 04:06 PM
I received mine last week (#306/2500) and I agree it is cool. I'd really like to see GG do an EP1 Threepio somewhere down the line as well but there are still many other choices I'd like to see produced first.

Jayspawn
12-02-2005, 08:44 PM
I'd like an Episode I C-3PO also. I'd definatly go for that -the detail would be awesome!

BlueSnags
12-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Got mine about two weeks ago from ebay for $80 (#474). One of the coolest busts yet, IMO.