PDA

View Full Version : What are you making?

JimJamBonds
09-27-2005, 01:10 AM
Personally I'm a big fan of cooking although I'm not that big of doing the dishes, what kind of stuff are the rest of you making? There are a number of things that I'd like to make but since its generally only for one I avoid 'larger' types of dishes. Today I made a cornish game hen in my Showtime Rotisserie with some homemade bbq sauce. It consisted of ketchup, minced mango, a touch of lemon juice and orange juice. A bit of honey a splash of vinegar along with oregano, salt and lemon pepper. It was my first attempt at such a sauce and I have to say it came out pretty darn good, although the next time I think I'll leave out the ketchup and make more of a 'fruity sauce.'

Has anybody else done some experimenting in the kitchen? I'd love to hear about it.

CaptainSolo1138
09-27-2005, 11:33 AM
I like tasty food, but lack the imagination to come up with anything. The extent of my creativity is seeing what tastes good with Frank's Red Hot on it. Other than that, it's usually frozen foods (until Mrs. CaptainSolo begins to complain about my horrible eating habits and crams some veggies down my throat).

By thread title alone, I thought you were wondering what I was making at work in terms of wages. Was this important to say? No. I'm just bored.

Kidhuman
09-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I should be making something. I like toast, but I lost the recipe.

Exhaust Port
09-27-2005, 01:30 PM
For a second there I thought this was going to be about how much $$ are you making. :)

I "cooked" a frozen pizza last night. :D

bobafrett
09-27-2005, 03:41 PM
If it can't be cooked in a microwave, or by some chef at a fast food chain, then I don't have time to prepare or eat it.

Jargo
10-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm making a dish of my own creation. It's boiled rice tinged with turmeric powder to give it a more appealing yellowy golden colour possibly with aded raisins and peas or diced peppers. Then on top of that a can of baked beans heated to a fairly high temp and the tomato sauce allowed to coagulate slightly so it's fairly thick. On top of that i grate some red cheese. Usually double Gloucester or Red Leicester. But red cheddar will suffice.

To serve simply place the rice on the plate and hollow out the middle where you pur the beans. or ooze them if you cooked em too long. finally grate the cheese directly onto the beans so the cheese melts and forms a polar cap. hiding the beans.
If you want to be fancy a sprig of fresh parsley for garnish.

best place to eat it is sat in front of the living room window watching the world go by while trying to avoid geting bits of rice everwhere.

best not to try eating using fingers. a large fork should do the trick.

JimJamBonds
10-02-2005, 01:21 AM
Pardon my ignorance but what is 'red cheese'?

Jargo
10-02-2005, 01:07 PM
well I'm not sure how the colour is achieved but 'red' cheese has a sort of orange colouration. So you have your white cheeses, your red cheeses, your veined cheeses, your runny soft cheeses, your speciality cheesses with stuff added in like fruit or nuts or smoked ham or whatever, oh and then there's waxed cheeses. which have an outer layer of protective wax and generally come in ball shapes.

then you have your fake cheese like cheese slices and cheese strings and cheese in a can.

It tickles me that you guys over there have cheddar cheese. cheese that's never even seen a picture of the cheddar gorge here in England.

LusiferSam
10-02-2005, 01:31 PM
then you have your fake cheese like cheese slices and cheese strings and cheese in a can.
You know about this stuff? The last Brit I try to explain fake cheeses to was totally clueless and then horrified and sickened when I when into the details.

It tickles me that you guys over there have cheddar cheese. cheese that's never even seen a picture of the cheddar gorge here in England.
I what you're saying (we in the States don't have real Cheddar, which I mostly agree with), but I don't have a clue as to what you said.

JimJamBonds
10-03-2005, 12:18 AM

Are you talking about this? http://www.cheddarcaves.co.uk/ I'm a big big fan of cheddar cheese, acutally aged cheddar is my favorite. The only the better, 8 yrs old is my record (and favorite so far).

There is a cheese store that I've been to one or two times and it has some really great stuff, I'll have to check out red cheese's the next time I'm there.

Jargo
10-03-2005, 05:30 PM
that's the area, the cheddar gorge.

http://www.cheeseboard.co.uk/new/cheese/index.htm should prove helpful. as a general guide to british cheeses. Personally i prefer my cheeses incredibly mature. very rich and strong.

Mashing a little red cheese into potatoes can add a nice flavour to a somewhat bland vegetable. I'd reccomend a nice red cheddar. Cheddar is excellent to cook with. but proper cheese made the traditional way not processed cheese. Processed cheese invariably has little flavour and tends to be quite rubbery.

I've mentioned this before but miners used to be given cheese sandwiches by their wives with jam or jelly spread over the cheese to keep it moist down the hot mines.

oh and today i'm making brownies. It's um, a special recipe. with a secret infgredient.....

2-1B
10-03-2005, 07:56 PM
I've mentioned this before but miners used to be given cheese sandwiches by their wives with jam or jelly spread over the cheese to keep it moist down the hot mines.

oh and today i'm making brownies. It's um, a special recipe. with a secret infgredient.....

I hope you plan on being an old bean and sharing with us ? :lipsrseal

Slicker
10-03-2005, 08:01 PM
I made macaroni and cheese and 2 cheeseburgers. That's the extent of my cooking.

Turbowars
10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
8 year old Cheese? Now that doesn't sound good. But you know what, I don't know how old a Block of mild Cheddar is at the store anyways.

DarthBrandon
10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Today I made Salmon Steaks baked in the Oven. You need two to four Atlantic Salmon Steaks depending on the number of people involved. Bake them in the oven with garlic butter & white wine until almost cooked, then cover the top of the Salmon steaks with Cream Cheese, when the Cream Cheese is melted they are ready. While this is going on take ½ a pound of Shrimp & Scallops & fry them in garlic butter / white wine/ orange mandarin liquid & fresh mushrooms until cooked. (Careful not to overcook) Take the Shrimp / Scallops & put them on top of the Cream Cheese that covers the Salmon. Baked potatoes or rice goes with this as well as a side salad (garden or Caesar). This is a very healthy meal (except for the Cream Cheese) that tastes pretty dam good if you like seafood.:pleased: Tomorrow I'm making fettucini with Chicken in it.:thumbsup:

2-1B
10-03-2005, 11:41 PM
How healthy is the "fried in butter" part ? lol

cream cheese makes me gag. :dead:

DarthBrandon
10-04-2005, 07:15 AM
It's very healthy & tasty indeed Caesar, you'd like it, trust me.:thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
10-04-2005, 12:31 PM
8 year old Cheese? Now that doesn't sound good. But you know what, I don't know how old a Block of mild Cheddar is at the store anyways.

Mild is aged 6-12 months, and aged cheddar is a year plus. The longer its aged the sharper it gets and like I said before the longer the better!

2-1B
10-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Sharp cheese is nasty.

It's very healthy & tasty indeed Caesar, you'd like it, trust me.:thumbsup:

Considering I just said that I would vomit at the taste of it, I'll have to disagree.

thestarwarsman
10-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Wow you all are eating healthy and I am doing the ole standby fast food, tastes great high health risk burger thing the last two evenings.