PDA

View Full Version : Acklay at Hasbro Official Site

mosnab
01-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Looks like we get a look at another beast from Episode II...thoughts?

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnewscontent.cfm?id=324

mosnab

Darth Ludicrous
01-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Here's a thought--

WHY ARE THE BEASTS AND VEHICLES SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ACTION FIGURES?

They don't even look like they are from the same decade, much less the same toy line!

Lord Tenebrous
01-18-2002, 09:39 AM
It looks alright, but I'll bet the price is going to make it the world's ugliest pegwarmer.

InsaneJediGirl
01-18-2002, 09:44 AM
It doesnt look all that bad,I'm shocked!!:eek:

Orginally Posted by Lord Tenebrous
but I'll bet the price is going to make it the world's ugliest pegwarmer.

How true Lord Tenebrous.It couldnt be more than $30 dollars
could it?

Lord Tenebrous
01-18-2002, 09:55 AM
I not sure, but the Acklay supposedly makes the Reek look like a mouse in comparison. Worst case scenario is that this priced like the 12" Dewback/Stormtrooper at TRU ($80)...because if it is to scale, it will probably be larger than that set.

At any rate, something you're not going to get the first week out. :)

JEDIpartner
01-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Wow...! Who would have thought that, with all crapola that we have gotten thus far (aside for a couple solitary pieces) , this would actually be this cool! I seriously doubt that the Acklay makes the Reek look like a mouse. I'd say the scale is probably more Rancor to Dewback.

I'll probably pass on this due to space constraints, but this really has to be one of the best ones I've seen up to this point!

WOW! :eek:

Darth Ludicrous
01-18-2002, 10:22 AM
One thing that Toy Fair pictures will reveal is the scale of these things...I have a feeling these beasts are not as large as we would think (or, for that matter, as large as we would like).

Lman316
01-18-2002, 10:36 AM
Anyone wanna tell me why (at starwars.com, not the Hasbro site) when you hold your cursor over the picture of the Acklay it says: [Asbro-hay's Acklay]? Now, they might have just done the first word in pig latin so it would rhyme with Acklay, but if not, than this is truly saying: Hasbro's Lack.
Kinda interesting...

JediCole
01-18-2002, 11:03 AM
I must say that the Acklay is one of the few AOTC pieces I'm really looking forward to at this point. This is by far one of the single best Star Wars toys to date! Space constraints aside, I am going to get one of these guys.

Jargo
01-18-2002, 11:10 AM
can anybody say "store exclusive"? *sigh* don't I just know that this thing is gonna be nigh on impossible to get hold of.....

It's fantastic! makes the rancor look like a puppy dog. the beasts and vehicles are worth getting but the figures are not worth it until resculpts are hitting us like bugs on a windshield. no point buying figures of core characters until all the resculpts are out, then just pick 'n' mix the best of the bunch.

reckon this is gonna be another Fambaa type pack though.

JonoFett
01-18-2002, 11:33 AM
No guesses what Hasbro will wheel out for the world to see next. The Nexu. Then comes Imperial Guard, Nikto Jedi, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto....etc.
Great looking beast though, overshadowing the Bantha poodoo that are the new figures. :eek: :)

CrossWizard
01-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Looks like one of those things from Starship Troopers.

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2002, 11:35 AM
I like it. I think it definately will make a good display piece for any collection. It reminds me of the bugs from "Starship Troopers". If this is an indication of what we will be seeing in the film, the arena battle scene is going to be sweet!!

JonoFett
01-18-2002, 11:38 AM
While the Nexu looks to have elements of the giant bug in Men In Black (the one that consumes TLJ) and a critter.

Starfig873
01-18-2002, 11:57 AM
Ooooh baby! I love Episode II already! I'm always one for buying monsters and this is just toooooo sweet.

Almost reminds me of the Queen Alien of Aliens fame. :D

Lovely peice of plastic for sure!

Fulit
01-18-2002, 12:23 PM
When does this thing appear in the movie, and what does it do?

CrossWizard
01-18-2002, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it has a musical number with Obi Wan and the Gang :D

Fulit
01-18-2002, 12:42 PM
Can't wait to see that!

JonoFett
01-18-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
When does this thing appear in the movie, and what does it do? It appears along with the Reek and the Acklay in the Geonosis arena battle. As for what it does, well lets just say it kills things, brutally!:D

CrossWizard
01-18-2002, 12:52 PM
I even heard Lucas has been contemplating changing the name of the movie to Clones of The Dance, to fit the whole musical comedy mood of the movie, it will make Moulin Rouge look like a walk in the park. And you guys had been wondering why the new figures have so stretchy poses, its because you need to be loosen up in order to dance.

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2002, 12:57 PM
That arena battle scene on Geonosis is going to rock!! Just imagine, a bunch of Jedis, the Reek, the Acklay, and all those battle droids and troopers!! This is definately going to be something. I have read the spoilers and I am still psyched just to see it all unfold on the big screen. May 16th please hurry!!
Oh yeah, and April 22nd too!!

JEDIpartner
01-18-2002, 12:58 PM
My co-worker, Cheryl, said the new figures look like they pooped in their pants or have elephantitis :rolleyes: . She thinks the Acklay is cool and is really confident her kid will like it. As for the figures... her 8 year old thinks they look "stoooopid" and aksed why they are "standing like that?"

So... at least we know ONE kid isn't going to be suckered by Hasbro!

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2002, 01:01 PM
JediPartner, you should check out the new "Toyfare" magazine.
One of the editors customized his own line of the AOTC figures.
They are awesome, and I couldnt believe they were customized.
They look better than the pics of the real figures we have seen.
Check it out, I think you would agree with me.

JEDIpartner
01-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Hey there Jango!

Thanks much for the heads up on the ToyFare article and photos. I will definitely head out to Borders and hope they have an issue in stock! :D

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2002, 01:10 PM
You will be amazed JediPartnr. They are some awesome sculpts.
I have customized my own Jango, Padme, Anakin and ObiWan and I was proud of myself until I saw those pics. They are that good.

Fulit
01-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
JediPartner, you should check out the new "Toyfare" magazine.
One of the editors customized his own line of the AOTC figures.
They are awesome, and I couldnt believe they were customized.
They look better than the pics of the real figures we have seen.
Check it out, I think you would agree with me.

Hmm, seems to me I remember hearing something about that. ;)

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2002, 01:20 PM
How do you get those little pictures under your name on the left?
I know that may be a stupid question, but I want a pic too!!

Fulit
01-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
How do you get those little pictures under your name on the left?
I know that may be a stupid question, but I want a pic too!!

Go to user cp, then edit options, then at the bottom, select change avatar. I think.

mabudonicus
01-18-2002, 01:32 PM
They're called avatars, and you need to check the FAQ- it's all laid out fer ya!
The acklay looks awesome- it doesn't really resemble anything out of the rest of the SW universe( film or toy). It looks like they went to town making the thing. Indeed, the size is hard to judge. To me it looks like it'll be done a bit like the fish thing from E1 (I think it's called and oopie or something), sort of a bit smaller than one might like, but the level of detail of the piece makes it impossible to determine. It sure is cool though..Woooo!!!

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the help with that. I just came in here the other day, set up my account, and got to posting. I didn't really bother to change my pic.

JEDIpartner
01-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Hey Jango...

JEDIpartnr here again. I think, before you wear yourself out, you need to have 75 posts before they will allow you to have a "custom" avatar... such as the one I scanned and doctored here for mine. Just thought I'd pass that along to you!

-Dale

By the way... it seems the Acklay is the first AOTC toy to get mostly favourable reviews!!!

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2002, 01:43 PM
Yeah I noticed that. The one I have here will be good for me. I just hated seeing that big empty area under my name.
So are you planning to participate in the "midnight madness" on
April 22nd??

JEDIpartner
01-18-2002, 03:48 PM
For as gross as I think most of these toys are... I still have it all marked on my Calendar. I guess I'll just punch my way through the throngs of people to get a look at what's good and what's not.

evenflow
01-18-2002, 04:10 PM
I actually think that it looks really good compared to some of the other things we have seen. I am looking forward to it.

Jargo
01-18-2002, 04:14 PM
Edited away.......

Fulit
01-18-2002, 04:34 PM
I'm going to take my son to midnight madness, he'll be 3 just a few days before the 22nd. He's usually up that late anyway, so why not? He loves the Star Wars toys I already have, but he's curiously opposed to playing with certain ones that I guess he thinks "sucks". It will be interesting to see whether not he likes these crazy-stanced E2 figures.

Jayspawn
01-18-2002, 07:24 PM
I don't know. To me it looks like one of those bugs from Starship Troopers. It looks like a repainted version of the Starship Troopers toy that warmed the shelves. Yeah I'll pass on this one.

It seems to me I keep saying that everytime I see a new Episode II toy.

GNT
01-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Its something we all like,right?

I think its pretty sweet,but I think it'll make figures seem out of place :(

Wooooof
01-19-2002, 04:57 PM
Paul Verhoeven would be so proud! If he doesn't sue for copywright infringement.;)

AreTwo-DeeTwo
01-20-2002, 11:21 AM
I look forward to seeing what the Acklay does in the movie and I do think it looks like a neat toy. However, I am unlikely to buy it. It's gonna be a lot of pick and choose this time around for me.

chewie
01-20-2002, 01:51 PM
Of all the AOTC monsters, the Acklay is far and wide the coolest. It is a bit derivative of other movie monsters, but I'm not exactly sure on how much more originality is left in the realm of scary monster creation. But for the SW universe, its a nice new look.

I'll definitely be getting one of these, but I can't say that for the Reek (if the Reek is priced right I will though).