PDA

View Full Version : Will you be collecting Star Wars Transformers?

JediTricks
09-27-2005, 07:02 PM
For the past decade, both Star Wars and Transformers have grown into strong brands for Hasbro, and fans of each have occasionally contemplated a potential cross-over line - if not particularly seriously. However, after years of fans bandying about ideas of Star Destroyers transforming into robots a la Mega-Maid from "Spaceballs", Hasbro has picked up this unusual idea and moved it into reality with the unveiling of the first 4 Star Wars Transformers at BotCon, the official Transformers convention which took place this last weekend in Texas. Hasbro announced that 11 Star Wars Transformers are planned for '06, including Vader's TIE Fighter, Luke's X-wing, Grievous' Wheel Bike, Obi-Wan's Ep 3 Jedi Starfighter which were all on display, as was the packaging for Vader's TIE.

You can see images of the displayed sets in this gallery: http://www.tfw2005.com/gallery/Hasbro-Display-Day-2

Reaction so far has been mixed from fans of both lines. So the question of the day is, will Star Wars fans collect this unusual blending of the Star Wars and Transformers brands?

Rogue II
09-27-2005, 07:26 PM
I won't buy them. I don't really know what to think of them. But, they are definatly "different."

Slicker
09-27-2005, 07:28 PM
I put probably. I'll wait until I see 'em in person to make the final decision. Form the few pics I've seen they look like decent transformers though. We'll see.

El Chuxter
09-27-2005, 07:37 PM
I said absolutely no, as they look like something beyond crap, but the way these things go, I often change my mind when I find them. :)

Rocketboy
09-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Nope. They suck.

Well, unless they had a Padme that changed...ummm nevermind.

Master Goeweins
09-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Transformers?

ughh.... didn't they mean GoBots? These are sad....
I hope that this isn't a sign of just how far the franchise is going to be milked! The new Sideshow 12"s and there are still so many figures to make, and if they can get the Unleashed back on track... this is just unnecessary.

Bacta Beast
09-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Maybe if they quit spending time and money developing this kind of crap, they could afford to get some vehicles and playset out for the 33/4" line.:tired: No thanks, I've got my hands full trying to locate and pay for all the freakin' exclusives!:rolleyes:

bobafrett
09-27-2005, 09:09 PM
I put down "maybe" but I was borderline on "No". I have started not collecting certain lines, because I think the SW franchise is going into places that just don't interest me. I thought the Platskool stuff was cool, but this, eh.

Jangu Fett
09-27-2005, 09:13 PM
I said probably. I need to see them in stores first. However, that "probably will" will change to a "definate" if they all have mini-figures.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm intrigued by them. They are certainly unique to the Star Wars line and while I may not collect every transformer, I will certainly have a few to own, open and display.

I'm becoming very choosy lately about what I buy and I can honestly say that I am buying a more variety of lines and toys as opposed to buying just everything of a certain line. I like that freedom more and while I don't like Transformers normally, this is unique and will definitely add a few to my collection.

Ji'dai
09-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Absolutely won't collect

I've never been interested in transforming vehicles/robots so I will definitely be passing on Star Wars Transformers.

Kidhuman
09-27-2005, 09:59 PM
I am interested enough where I will wait to see them in person, so I went with probably will buy them

Mandalorian Candidat
09-27-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm not surprised that by far the largest category chosen in this poll is "definitely not." These things look like they are cheap knockoffs of regular Transformers crafted in a chinese opium den. I think Hasbro should have focused their efforts on something worthwhile instead of this lame diversion.

InsaneJediGirl
09-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Absolutely won't collect

I dont like Transformers so there is no reason to buy. They look like cheap knock off anyways. It would have been better for Hasbro to focus on something else besides another new line.

mastermatt24
09-27-2005, 11:57 PM
HUrray! More reasons not to collect! Great Job hasbro! :thumbsup:

figrin bran
09-28-2005, 12:08 AM
i probably will buy one or two of these as i do have a small collection of transformers (nothing compared to what some of the l.a. ssg people probably have)

trandoshan666
09-28-2005, 01:20 AM
There's absolutely no chance that I'll pick any of these up. This is yet another sign of just how far Hasbro is willing to go to milk this franchise for every penny possible. I won't support it.

2-1B
09-28-2005, 01:25 AM
nein, danke.

Tonywankenobi
09-28-2005, 01:32 AM
I chose probably but leaning toward the no side. I am not to sure, like everyone I want to see the them in person to makeup my mind. Kind of a cool idea in a twisted sort of way. Gobot star wars hmmmm lets see.... when they arrive we will hate them of love them.

highlander3000
09-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Well, I saw them in person this past weekend. I'm actually a Transformers collector first and then a Star Wars collector. I probably won't be buying them but I have to admit the concept is one I wanted to see but as a true crossover. Have a Star Destroyer transform into Megatron. Anyway, here are my two cents:

Grievous is actually very good in both modes. The vehicle looks good and the robot looks like a large action figure. I'm impressed they were able to hide the kibble as well as they did.

Darth Vader is well executed but looks a little silly in robot mode. I don't buy the shield. Vader also looks a lot less menacing without his cape.

Obi-Wan looks very little like Obi-Wan and that is good. The robot is poorly designed though.

Luke is just awful. I think this is the worst toy ever. Seriously.

All in all, the vehicle modes look great and don't show any robot bits. The robot modes leave a bit to be desired. Grievous is good and Vader is decent but the others are pretty bad.

I wonder if the Falcon will turn into Chewie or Han. :)

britcit3
09-28-2005, 01:43 AM
I have collected nearly every Star Wars ship of this scale for years.

I ain't buying these though - they look bloody awful.

BC3

JediGoofy
09-28-2005, 04:11 AM
I am mainly an Action Fleet collector but, even if the vehicle mode of these transformers looks like it is in AF scale from the pictures, I voted "absolutely won't collect" in the pool. :mad:

In my opinion the robot mode is just awful in order to represent human characters (see for example how horrible are Luke or Obi-Wan, while Grievous is better), and the vehicle mode suffer from the necessity due to the transformation (see for example the thickness of the Jedi Starfighter). :sad:

Moreover, the inclusion of what looks like an AF figure from the pictures is meaningless in these vehicles and, even if I would die to have new AF figs from EII and EIII, will not bring me to buy these transformers in no case. :rolleyes:

Now I wonder the costs of the molds of these intricate and brand new toys. It would seem definitely higher than the costs of the molds of "simple" AF vehicles and figures. So I wonder, what brought Hasbro to prefer this uncertain new transformers line to a surely successful AF line composed of new vehicles from the last movie? :confused:

Ciao,
JediGoofy

scruffziller
09-28-2005, 09:10 AM
This is certainly a concept I thought of as a kid and I find it very cool that they are doing something like this.

DarkArtist
09-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm kinda undecided on this. Looking at the pics some of them looked pretty cool and I think the idea is a semi cool idea actually.

If you think about it the Transformers line, with the exception of GI Joe and perhaps a few others, has been one of the longest running lines to date. Kids and adults seem to flock to the aisle to get the latest Optimus or Megatron and collectors grab the commerative sets to get a piece of their childhood back. Since the Transformers are considered technologial and the Star Wars Universe is a technology wonder in itself, the idea of melding the worlds together seems like a sound idea.

Plus on the other levels one can view this as a crossover series similar to the recent GI Joe and Transformers comic book lines. Since they are starting out using the classic starships like the X-Wing and Vader's TIE perhaps it could work. Looking at the Vader TIE transformed into a robot it can be said that Vader could pass for a robot. Plus with Grievous in the line as well, it does give you the feeling of robots in disguise.

As long as they make the final transformation from vehicle to robot look robotic and not human, ala X-Wing into Luke, the line might be interesting. It is too early to say how I feel or if I will collect these lines since I am cutting my collection to just figures and perhas a few little nicknacks but time will tell.

Droid
09-28-2005, 09:53 AM
I will only buy one of these if my Red Christmas Darth Vader can ride in it all the way to the trash can.

Seriously, wouldn't take them if they were free. This is a dangerous time for Hasbro. Right now we should all be talking about how great it is that Yarna, the Arcona, and Chief Chirpa are coming out. This should be a collector's time period. Instead even the collectors are disgusted. It could kill the line.

Devo
09-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Maybe if they quit spending time and money developing this kind of crap, they could afford to get some vehicles and playset out for the 33/4" line.:tired: No thanks, I've got my hands full trying to locate and pay for all the freakin' exclusives!:rolleyes:

Total agreement from me. Not buying these, stupid novelty crap doesn't interest me. They should focus on the 3 3/4" line.

Captain Spoon
09-28-2005, 10:21 AM
I said no however....
If they made an Executioner Star Destroyer\Optimus Prime one I would grab that up in a heartbeat or maybe a full size AT-AT\General Veers. I will drop 80-100 bucks for those bad boys if they made em'

bobafrett
09-28-2005, 12:51 PM
I will only buy one of these if my Red Christmas Darth Vader can ride in it all the way to the trash can.

That's the funniest thing I have read on this SW Transformer thread! :thumbsup:

DarkArtist
09-28-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't know but after looking at some of the images on Rebelscum I might get these. The Jedi Starfighter looks good and transforms into a robotic form of Kenobi

Dark Marble
09-28-2005, 03:20 PM
I think this line is good to bring new collectors into the game. I will not be picking any of these up however. My mind is open to new ideas, but in this case my wallet is staying closed.

JediTricks
09-28-2005, 04:20 PM
You know, our site has a LOT of members who have bought garbage far more foolish than this in the past year, I'm looking at any goober who bought a Jedi Force figure or a Force Battler, and they're just the ones that come to the top of my head (I bought 2 Force Battlers, by the way :p) so I am shocked that so many people here are adamantly saying that these are somehow dopier than anything else that wore the SW brand this year. Lava Vader looked like he was dipped in molten crayola, yet that thing was a pretty hot collectible.

Anyway, I will definitely be collecting these, maybe not all, but at least some, they look amusing and different. The idea isn't that they ARE the characters, but that they are mechs driven by those characters and customized to look like their pilots, it's a little odd but it actually is pretty close to Transformers roots (take a look at some of the G1 Transformers, they have little pilot chairs for a reason). This may be the closest way to get an Action Fleet Jedi Starfighter, if nothing else.

Rogue II
09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm suprised on how unpopular these things seem to be. Even in the Holiday Vader thread, people were saying "it stinks, so I'm only buying one." That doesn't make any sense to me, but it is their money. Maybe people aren't as willing to but these because they aren't part of the 3 3/4" line.

mtriv73
09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
In my opinion, these were made with kids in mind not collectors. The kids can have them.

El Chuxter
09-28-2005, 06:09 PM
True, but even a kid, didn't you want toys that didn't suck?!?

I wanted as a youngling the same things in a figure that I want now: poseability, quality, and no action features. If you're not with me, chew on this. Think back to when you were a kid and had one of those craptacular Secret Wars Spider-Man figures, and a Dr Doom to go with it. (You probably did.) Now imagine that everything was exactly the same, but somehow you had the Marvel Legends Spidey and Doom figures. Wouldn't you have thought was more superfly bad-out wiggity wiggity wack than those Secret Wars things?

I sincerely doubt kids have changed that much.

TheDarthVader
09-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I said maybe won't buy. The only one I am going to buy is...drumroll..................................... ...THE DARTH VADER!

B.
TDV

CaptainSolo1138
09-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Star Wars and Transformers is like putting a Halloween costume on your dog. It might look OK, but it's a retarded idea. I have no interest in these (not that they'll even see the pegs around here anyway).

plasticfetish
09-28-2005, 10:28 PM
As Mr. Horse from Ren and Stimpy would say... "No, sir, I don't like it."

I like Transformers. I own lots of Transformers. I've slowed down a bunch in my collecting (buy them for my son mostly now), but I still enjoy the toys and have for a long time.

I like Star Wars toys. I own lots of Star Wars toys. I've slowed down a little in my collecting (mostly because I just moved and have no place to put anything), but I still enjoy the toys and have for a long time.

I do not like these Transforming Star Wars toys. I was doubtful when I heard about the idea, and now having seen the photos I'm amazed by just how disinterested I am. In a nutshell, they look silly and boring. If, as others have said, they were Star Wars vehicles that transformed into really cool traditional Transformer robots, then I'd maybe give these a chance. As is, I don't think my 8 year old is likely to want these. Too hoaky.

Darth Cruel
09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
I am not too hung up on feeling that there is only one way to enjoy the toys I like. If these are cool enough...you bet I will buy them. But the have to have great detail, tight pivot points, the pieces have to fit well in both modes, and they have to have solid construction. ANY CHEESE on them will deter me from buying them.

Blackened88
09-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Nope, not interested.

Jayspawn
09-29-2005, 01:11 AM
I'll be passing on ALL of them for sure. Maybe some kids will like them because Hasbro is going to make them anyways. But no way I'll get one.

Jaff
09-29-2005, 01:33 AM
Absolutely not!

I say that for two reasons.

1st. I am mainly interested in movie orientated material

2nd. The more non movie based Star Wars merchandise Hasbro makes the less movie based items they produce. I don't feel compelled to encourage their mismanagement of an already under-utilized line.

figrin bran
09-29-2005, 02:16 AM
i punched in the DPCI for these at my local target tonight and that 14.99 price just might be enough to convince me to not buy any of these.

OC47150
09-29-2005, 08:26 AM
I voted 'probably will collect' but I want to see these in person first before coming up with the money. I might get one.

I understand Hasbro's marketing on this. It's nostalgia for people who played/collected Transformers as kids; they are now grownups and may want to relive their childhood memories. It's the same thing Hasbro is doing with the 3 3/4" GI Joe line.

And Hasbro can go after the SW fans, too. It's different just enough to attract our attention.

Kidhuman
09-29-2005, 08:32 AM
i punched in the DPCI for these at my local target tonight and that 14.99 price just might be enough to convince me to not buy any of these.

I second that motion. It means the cheapest they will be is 12.99 at WM. Might await a clearance on these if they look decent

Knightfall
09-29-2005, 09:16 AM
I won't buy them because they look too goofy in "robot" (looks more like "person") mode. Starscream reimagined as a TIE Fighter would be awesome. A TIE Fighter that converts to a really bad Vader with TIE wings sticking out of his legs is not.

jaxx
09-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Thre's no way that I'll buy these. They look pretty nice in their vehicle form, but they are horrendous in their "robot" form. So if the vehicle form is the only thing attractive about them, I'll just stick to the Action Fleet and Titanium vehicles.
Hasbro is trying to be creative, but they're looking desperate instead. They just cheapened the Star Wars line, in my opinion.

plasticfetish
09-29-2005, 01:27 PM
They just cheapened the Star Wars line, in my opinion.I don't think they did much for the Transformers line either.

2-1B
09-29-2005, 01:38 PM
I loved Transformers as a kid and thought about getting back into them when I was 18 and got a job at TRU . . . until I realized that all they had for sale was a bunch of goofy animal Beast Wars Transformers so I lost all interest from that point on.

kool-aid killer
09-29-2005, 01:57 PM
I voted "Probably will collect" since i do see myself picking up at least one of them, and then from there i might go ahead with it or i may just pass on them. It really depends on how they look once i see them in my hands. I like the idea, but im a little concerned that it might not work too well in actuality.

Jaster
09-30-2005, 03:51 AM
I voted no for a couple of reasons

1. I hate the fact that these turn into "humans" in bot mode. Why? This line could have been better if you had the autobots reimagined as rebel vehicles, Optimus Prime as the Falcon? sure. Bluestreak, Smokescreen, and Prowl reimagined as a trio of X-wings? sign me up! on the Decepticon side, Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp as TIE Interceptor, Bomber and Fighter? cool!, Megatron as a SPHA-T Tank? and lastly, how cool would a Death Star Unicron be? but an X-wing that transforms into Luke? CRAP!

2. Is this necessary? Hasbro wants to get creative with the Star Wars liscense and this is what they come up with? If you want to get creative, how bout giving me some KOTOR figures? How about some Rebublic Commando figures? Hasbro sits there and complains that they can't afford new molds for figures but they have the money to spend on this? LAME!

3. This kinda makes me nervous cause Hasbro has the SW liscense for what? another 10 years and we are already getting to what feels like the bottom of the barrel.

Sorry about the rant.....**gets off soapbox**

JediTricks
09-30-2005, 02:23 PM
I get the feeling you folks don't like these. :p

Devo
10-01-2005, 06:41 PM

In summation: Crappy novelty one-off b*****ks distracting Hasbro's attention from the 3 3/4" line and wasting money that could be spent on new figures and/or vehicles and/or playsets. Whats to like.

bobafrett
10-02-2005, 07:17 PM

Definitely will collect 48 10.74%
Probably will collect 49 10.96%
Maybe won't collect 57 12.75%
Absolutely won't collect 293 65.55%

Yep, them numbers don't lie!

Results might change but are current as of 6:19 pm central time 10/02/05

trandoshan666
10-03-2005, 12:39 PM
While I can't speak for the others who absolutely will not collect these, I can say that part of my reasoning for not buying these centers on my own feeling that combining these toy lines is just offensive. Through the years, I've put up with a lot of crappy toys from Hasbro and have bought some of them but in my eyes, SW+Transformers = going a little too far.
I feel like Hasbro directing its efforts toward this abominable project takes away from what it will offer in the basic line, and that really angers me as a collector.

Droid
10-03-2005, 04:23 PM
How about:

My money transforming into the Cloud Car.
My money transforming into a Sail Barge Playset.
My money transforming into Yarna, the Arcona, prequels Owen and Beru,
or R5-D4?

Rogue II
10-03-2005, 04:51 PM
It's not just SSG that these things are bad. RS is running a similar poll and 44% of the voters say these things are "stupid."

My money transforming into the Cloud Car.
My money transforming into a Sail Barge Playset.
My money transforming into Yarna, the Arcona, prequels Owen and Beru,
or R5-D4?

I hope the money they used to develop these Transformers didn't come at the expense of any of those figures or ships.

JediTricks
10-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Stupid? C'mon, they're not THAT bad are they? They may not be to our likings, but the Jedi Starfighter and Grievous' Wheelbike seem like they're pretty clever transformers. I think there's a consensus though, these things are not well-liked by SW fans, I gotta wonder if Hasbro is aiming for the kiddie market then.

Kinda makes me wish we could send someone back in time a few years to tell all those SW collectors on the boards to stop bringing that idea up, just so we wouldn't have to endure this slaughter. :p

The 'Xir
10-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Well, as alot of you might know, my interest in Star Wars collecting has kinda gone out the window, with my disappointment of the story completion of the saga! However, my interest in Transformers has grown steadily over the past 10 years and especially with creation of the Beast Wars series! Although I think alot of the newer cartoon series like Armada blow 'cause they remind me to much of Pokemon, now that there is a live action movie on the horizon, I think my full collecting interest will be in Transformer lines!
I agree with JT that these aren't THAT bad, although I do think the Ben Jedi Starfighter one looks like complete Cr**(crud :D )! However, I polled in with "probably will collect."

My only Star Wars purchase interests of late were going to be EpIII on DVD and Batttleground II for PS2, but I now may add these SW transformers to the list! We'll see. :bandit: