PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Scenes

JEDIpartner
09-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Someone on another site says he read "12 deleted scenes" on the DVD over at one of the German sites. Amazon doesn't disclose the number. HMV.co.uk claims 6 scenes. Does anybody know for sure?

I only know of...

- Obi-Wan in the caves on Utapau.
- Obi-Wan & Anakin in the fuel containers on The Invisible Hand.
- Shaak-Ti's Death (V1): Obi-Wan & Anakin see Shaak-Ti killed on The Invisible Hand.
- Shaak-Ti's Death (V2): Anakin kills Shaak-Ti in the Jedi Temple.
- The creation of the Rebel Alliance.
- Extended Battle on Kashyyyk.
- Yoda's arrival on Dagobah (rumoured?).

kool-aid killer
09-21-2005, 02:04 PM
While those all sound exciting im hoping Lucas dumps in some more deleted scenes. Maybe see the death of more Jedi, from well known (like Quinlan Vos) to obscure Jedis. This DVD cant get here fast enough.

bobafrett
09-21-2005, 02:08 PM
While those all sound exciting im hoping Lucas dumps in some more deleted scenes. Maybe see the death of more Jedi, from well known (like Quinlan Vos) to obscure Jedis. This DVD cant get here fast enough.

And when it does, it will probably be a disappointment in the "extras" section. :sad:

Rogue II
09-21-2005, 02:24 PM
This was in the Episode Iii Coming To Dvd 11/1/05 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=422490&postcount=67) thread. Who knows how reliable it is:

From, http://boards.theforce.net/Revenge_of_the_Sith_/b10331/20760919/p10

I lifted this list from Nightly.Net where someone purported that this came from a DVD magazine. The person failed to say which one, however, so take it with a grain of salt:

* Eight exclusive deleted scenes with introductions: The Fuel Tank, Shaking Grievous, Palpatine's Efforts, Shaak Ti's Destiny, Birth of a Rebellion, Yoda's Escape from Kashyyyk (extended), an Old Friend, the Far Planet of Dagobah, a Deathly Building (extended)

* "To the Dark Side" (85 min.): all-new full-length documentary about the production of the last Star Wars episode.

* "The Bridge of the Saga": Taking the last pieces to the puzzle.

* "Brother Vs. Brother" The hard job to get the amazing final duel.

* Two featurettes examining the Anakin's destiny and the special effects.

* Web documentaries

* Exclusive production photos

* One-sheet posters

* International outdoor campaign

* Trailers and TV spots

* "This is not the end of Star Wars": About the future of the Saga.

* ILM visual effects breakdown montage

* Exclusive DVD-ROM content

Rocketboy
09-21-2005, 03:05 PM
From Theforce.net (http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Deleted_Scenes_And_TV_Shows_94810.asp):
The New York Post managed to catch up wtih George Lucas last week while attending the Dressing the Galaxy fashion show in NYC.

When asked about deleted scenes on the upcoming DVD release of Revenge of the Sith here were a few of his replies.

"Most [of the deleted scenes] are Senatorial in nature," says Lucas, backstage at his "Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars" fashion show on Thursday. "Some are about the conspiracy, in terms of starting the Rebel Alliance."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2005, 10:11 PM
I can't remember where I found it, but there's a site somewhere that lists all the ROTS deleted scenes. I don't know if they were just scripted or if they actually got filmed. Some of them you didn't mention are:
*Yoda going crazy in the AT-RT wreckage to confuse the clones, and getting off to the escape pod on the can-cell
*Obi-Wan picks out Boga
*Several different petition of 2000 scenes

I haven't heard anything about any extra Death Star scenes being filmed. It's possible though, as they did build the set and go to all the trouble of making the Tarkin mask, so I doubt that they only intended to have a 30-second scene in there.

As long as they include the Yoda/Qui-Gon scene, I'll be pleased as punch.

JimJamBonds
09-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Maybe see the death of more Jedi, from well known (like Quinlan Vos) to obscure Jedis.

I always listed Vos in the obscure catagory. I'd say the only "well known Jedi" that we have yet to see die is Luke.

kool-aid killer
09-22-2005, 12:55 AM
True, up until i started to read the Clone Wars comics (started last week) i didnt "know" him, i had just heard the name several times from other fans. Among the hardcore he is well known, but to the casual fan he would probably be considered obscure. Either way, i hope to see him get toasted.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-22-2005, 06:08 PM
True, up until i started to read the Clone Wars comics (started last week) i didnt "know" him, i had just heard the name several times from other fans. Among the hardcore he is well known, but to the casual fan he would probably be considered obscure. Either way, i hope to see him get toasted.
As far as I know, the Quinlan death scene was never filmed, nor was he ever even cast. But I could be wrong.

wedge1968
09-22-2005, 07:28 PM
As far as Vos is concerned, didn't they make a big deal about having an EU character in this film. If they weren't talking about him, who did I miss?

I'd really, really (did I mention really?) love to see those scenes with Shaak Tii. Someone said that we've seen all the major Jedi get killed, but I'd disagree until I see this (did they film Barriss getting it too?).

I don't know whether or not I'd want to see more added to the montage of Jedi getting killed, though. It works so perfectly as it stands now, I'd be very afraid to see it tampered with.

I can't wait!

JimJamBonds
09-23-2005, 12:21 AM
That was me who said we've seen all the major Jedi die except Luke. I guess we need to figure out who is a "major Jedi" and what it takes to become one? I'd say it requires having dialog, having a leadership role in the order. It wouldn't hurt to be in more then one movie as well. Using that as a basis I can't think of anybody (sans Luke) who we have not seen die.

As far as Vos is concerned, didn't they make a big deal about having an EU character in this film. If they weren't talking about him, who did I miss?

My guess would be Aayla Secura.

2-1B
09-23-2005, 02:08 AM
I think they were talking about Vos but that was early on and before he get axed frm the film before even being cast. Secura wouldn't count since she already appeared in AOTC, so she isn't EU anymore by the time we got ROTS.
I think they were talking about Vos.

I can't wait to see the deleted scenes - they quoted George as saying they are senatorial in nature but I bet we get no more than 2 like that. lol

rich_of_the_dead
09-28-2005, 02:51 PM
e3 deleted scenes over @ rebelscum the are pretty cool just hit the link

Rocketboy
09-28-2005, 02:59 PM
What link?
Plus, I already posted it a few hours earlier in the ROTS DVD (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=28782&page=11) thread.

rich_of_the_dead
09-28-2005, 03:09 PM
the link on rebelscum
PLUS,you need to get over yourself ok? i didnt see it there aight?

JEDIpartner
09-28-2005, 03:56 PM
You can check them all out here at this LINK (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars/DelSceneFull.jpg).

Captain Spoon
09-28-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm extremely peeved that we didn't get to see Shak Ti get whacked on the big screen.

Val Da Car
09-28-2005, 04:49 PM
NO Shaak Ti...PG-13

Shaak Ti getting Whack Ti'd...=soft R rating.

I thought it was cool and the whole Obi Wan being set after Grevious makes more sense (even though Jedi do not seek revenge).

Rocketboy
09-28-2005, 07:23 PM
the link on rebelscum It seemed to me that you implied there was a link in your post and there wasn't.

PLUS,you need to get over yourself ok? i didnt see it there aight?Get over myself?
All I did was say that I already posted this in the ROTS DVD thread.
Relax pal.
:thumbsup:

rich_of_the_dead
09-28-2005, 08:48 PM
im just messin with ya bud:) i forgot to put go to rebelscum and click:D

2-1B
09-28-2005, 11:39 PM
I'd rather get the scene of Vader killing Shaak Ti.

bobafrett
09-28-2005, 11:47 PM
I'd rather see Shaak Ti, having Tea at Radio Shack!

JEDIpartner
09-29-2005, 09:29 AM
I fixed the aspect ratio on the Shaak-Ti scenes so they don't look as ridiculously skewed. MUCH better now. Here's that link again, in the event that you didn't see it on the other page. ;)

Deleted Scene Montage (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars/DelSceneFull.jpg)

darth cynik
09-30-2005, 02:40 AM
Anakin and Obi-Wan swimming? YAWN

Shaak Ti's death? I'm still annoyed she left out of the movie, so this is great.

the Dagobah scenes? oh, please, make Nov 1 get here faster! that's my fanboy dream scene come true!

how come there's no additional scenes from Kasshyyyk in that montage? :razz: seriously, Jedipartnr, for posting what you did!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Anakin and Obi-Wan swimming? YAWN

Shaak Ti's death? I'm still annoyed she left out of the movie, so this is great.

the Dagobah scenes? oh, please, make Nov 1 get here faster! that's my fanboy dream scene come true!

how come there's no additional scenes from Kasshyyyk in that montage? :razz: seriously, Jedipartnr, for posting what you did!
I really doubt that the Dagobah scene will be more than 30 seconds. I think it would be pretty cool if they reincorporated that into the film, as well.

I hope that the Qui-Gon on Polis Massa scene is indeed included in the DVD, and the film, since that's the one I'm looking forward to the most.

2-1B
09-30-2005, 11:42 PM
They're not going to have Qui-Gon in there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-01-2005, 12:34 PM
They're not going to have Qui-Gon in there.
How do you know for sure? They haven't listed all the deleted scenes yet.

JimJamBonds
10-02-2005, 12:23 AM
I'd think we'd hear some buzz about the Quigers being in ROTS by now. Since the release is less then a month away the disks must be done or nearly ready to be sent to be copied. Maybe not though and this will be some sort of extra super duper suprise but I doubt it.

Kidhuman
10-02-2005, 12:32 AM
He is saving it so we buy it again in 6 months

2-1B
10-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Exactly ! If Qui-Gon was going to be in ROTS Deleted, it would have leaked by now. For sure. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Exactly ! If Qui-Gon was going to be in ROTS Deleted, it would have leaked by now. For sure. :)
I suppose you're right. I don't know why they wouldn't put that in, as it seems like they definitely filmed it (why else would Yoda be like that when Bail comes in?).

So, the confirmed scenes we're getting are:
*Shaak Ti's death/fuel room (looks like one scene)
*Yoda on Dagobah
*Mon Mothma, Bail, etc. talk about Alliance
*Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda talk about the Sith

There'll definitely be more than that; early reports said eight so I suppose that'll be it. I don't remember seeing the discussion on the Sith on any reports, so they were obviously false (the official site had pictures of this). I know they're also including a little bit of re-done TPM Yoda footage onto the ROTS DVD, but I hope that doesn't count as one.

2-1B
10-02-2005, 04:26 PM
I know they're also including a little bit of re-done TPM Yoda footage onto the ROTS DVD, but I hope that doesn't count as one.

Oh ? That's the first I heard of that, thanks for the update ! :)
I'm a really big fan of replacing that TPM puppet, so I am glad to hear this. It's a start, at least. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Oh ? That's the first I heard of that, thanks for the update ! :)
I'm a really big fan of replacing that TPM puppet, so I am glad to hear this. It's a start, at least. ;)
Yeah, I'd like it if they did that too. Hopefully they'll put it on the next version of TPM.

There's a pic on starwars.com of him sitting in the council chair, and it looked just as it did in ROTS. It's on the Kessel Mine thing for "A Shifting in the Force," which is on Hyperspace. It's nothing too spectacular but it's proof that it's in there. Oh, and it says it'll be on a documentary, not in the deleted scenes, as I suggested. :)

JEDIpartner
10-04-2005, 08:46 AM
If ANY scene deserves to be reincorporated into the film, it would have to be the big Mon Mothma scene. Without it, the film loses its purpose.

General_Grievous
10-04-2005, 03:48 PM
And the Yoda/Dagobah scene should be incorporated into the film too, just to give his part in the Prequels closure.

JEDIpartner
10-04-2005, 06:22 PM
I suppose... but really, the Alliance thing is a big plot point. The Dagobah thing is really just a visual "ooooooooh". Plus, that gives Luke's arrive on Dagobah that one moment of surprise when Yoda does appear at his camp.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
If ANY scene deserves to be reincorporated into the film, it would have to be the big Mon Mothma scene. Without it, the film loses its purpose.
The film isn't pointless without it. It would be pointless if we didn't see Anakin turn into Vader, which was the whole point of the preuqels.

I suppose I'd like to see how the film would look with the Petition of 2000 scenes reincorporated (there were three or four of them, I think), but it works fine without them.

Rogue II
10-04-2005, 07:36 PM
The prequels take away the suprise in Luke's arrival scene on Dagobah. Before, not only was Luke suprised at Yoda's identity, but so was the audience. I don't suppose there is any way around making the prequels without having that scene in ESB lose some of it's thunder.

I agree with JP, the Mon Mothma scene is more important because it gives more background to ANH and ROTJ. There may have been too many of Bail's scenes cut from TPM and ATOC.

JimJamBonds
10-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Has anybody seen/read a review on the Yoda/Dagobah deleted scene? From the looks of those few screne shoots it seems that all it will be is Yoda's capsule decending onto the planet and then a shot of Yoda sitting in his capsule. If this is it then its no big deal, that can't take more then 20 seconds so I don't think that would really add much to the film. I like how it ends 'now' where Yoda says he will go into hiding but we don't know where he goes, there is no mention of him in ANH and then he pops up again in Empire.

2-1B
10-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Sorry guys but I didn't think the Mon Mothma scene was all that great, I was all excited about it not being in the movie but then I saw it and thought Meh ! it didn't bother me that they cut it. Nice part of the deleted scenes package, however. :)

CaptainSolo1138
10-05-2005, 07:43 AM
but then I saw it
Where did you see it?

2-1B
10-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Wizard World Chicago, it was part of Sansweet's show (which I saw twice).

JimJamBonds
10-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Sorry guys but I didn't think the Mon Mothma scene was all that great, I was all excited about it not being in the movie but then I saw it and thought Meh ! it didn't bother me that they cut it. Nice part of the deleted scenes package, however. :)

Sounds like what I thought of the TPM deleted scenes, sounded great but then ended up being lame.

2-1B
10-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Oh I wouldn't go that far because the TPM stuff did certainly suck but this new ROTS scene doesn't suck . . . it's just not that great. At least, not great enough to belong back in the film. With the partial exception of the Sith Probe scene from TPM, those were all pretty forgettable. :D

JimJamBonds
10-06-2005, 12:28 PM
My own council I will keep as to which scenes suck. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-07-2005, 06:39 PM
The press junket this week stated clearly that there are only 6 deleted scenes and Qui-Gon ain't one of 'em . . . oh well.

http://starwars.com/episode-iii/release/video/f20051006/indexp2.html

Here's a list (and pictures!) from the deleted scenes. They are:
*General Grievous Slaughters a Jedi; Escape from the General - Shaak Ti/fuel room
*A Stirring in the Senate - Bail's apartment talk
*Seeds of Rebellion - Padmé's apartment talk
*Confronting the Chancellor - Padmé talks with Palpatine
*A Plot to Destroy the Jedi? - Yoda, Mace, and Obi-Wan talk
*Exiled to Dagobah - pretty self-explanatory

Sounds pretty good to me. There's also a picture of a clone dressed up as a Jedi (as in the Lego game) which I assume will be on some kind of documentary. Though this offering sounds nice, there definitely could have been more . . . they could make a whole extra movie with all the stuff they cut out of all six films!

tagmac
10-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Well, either we're gonna get some ultimate edition with more scenes added in, or Lucas screwed over the fans again. Qui-Gon's scene is a must (thanks George for giving us the explanation of why Jedi disappear - oh wait, I had to read the BOOK for that!:mad: ). And I loved how you made the Kashyyk battle rival that on Endor - wait, nevermind - that lasted all of two minutes, and we didn't even get to see Chewie and Tarfful take out a few clones - what a ripoff! But then, considering we got garbage on Ep. I instead of the cut Maul scenes, and a bunch of lame scenes with one good one on Ep. II, this shouldn't surprise me.:(

plasticfetish
10-08-2005, 02:31 AM
The press junket this week stated clearly that there are only 6 deleted scenes and Qui-Gon ain't one of 'em . . . oh well.I don't want to jump in front of anything that I may end up writing about the junket in the next day or two, but the "Qui-Gon scene" was mentioned, and it was explained that the concept was talked about, but they "never shot the scene."

You guys should all really hold your opinions back until after you see the disk and the extras for yourselves. We'll be going over it in the next few days to look at everything, but what they showed at the junket looked pretty good.

I've more to say, but I just got back, (I think Steve's still in the air), I'm pretty tired... and I need to walk the dog.

Oh! One teaser... funny, funny easter egg! :)

2-1B
10-08-2005, 04:29 AM
You mean Yoda's rap video ?

General_Grievous
10-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Wait a minute? The easter egg is a Yoda rap video? What about the outtakes? Surely they're including some, right?

JimJamBonds
10-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Besides the scenes it looks like we should have some pretty good extras coming our way as well. :yes:

plasticfetish
10-08-2005, 03:09 PM
I'll quote from the "Media Information" packet for now...

"The two-disk DVD set of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith]/i] contains not only the epic, action-packed final chapter of the Star Wars saga, but also four hours of bonus material, including:

Exclusive Deleted Scenes With Introductions - View six deleted scenes that were created just for the DVD release. George Lucas and Rick McCallum explain why these scenes didn't make it into the final cut."

(We saw some of these at the junket and they're cool to watch. I'll go through them all later. -PF)

"[i]Within a Minute Documentary Film - Take an inside look into the making of less than 60 seconds of the epic Mustafar battle. Meet all the individuals in every department that brought to life one of the greatest lightsaber duels of the entire saga. Uncover the many layers of the filmmaking process and discover how each department played an important role creating Episode III."

(They showed us a bit of this, it's an hour long -- I think -- and it's really interesting to watch. More later. -PF)

"Feature-Length Audio Commentary - The filmmakers give their perspective of the three-year process of the creation of Episode III and the culmination of the Star Wars saga. Hear from: writer/director George Lucas, producer Rick McCallum, animation director Rob Coleman and ILM visual effects supervisors John Knoll and Roger Guyett.

The Chosen One Featurette - Discover the truth to the prophecy that Anakin is the Chosen One in this exclusive featurette that emphasizes the saga as the story of Darth Vader's redemption. Go behind the scenes as George Lucas connects the dots from Episodes I through IV to uncover the myth of Darth Vader and reveal the man inside the suit.

It's All For Real: The Stunts of Episode III - Join Stunt Coordinator Nick Gillard behind the scenes and witness firsthand the extreme training involved in creating the most intense Jedi action battles of the entire saga. Learn how the actors trained and performed their own stunts, and how the actors trained and performed their own stunts, and how the digital process has taken lightsaber battles to an all new level in this never-before-seen featurette."

(I don't know about you guys, but I love this kind of stuff -- and the more you watch this, Nick Gillard just seems more and more amazing. -PF)

"Web Documentaries - Experience the unparalled 18-part web documentary series that debuted on starwars.com during the making of Revenge of the Sith. This video series takes you inside the crafting of the final Star Wars chapter, from the first story concepts to the last stages of post-production."

More next post...

2-1B
10-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Did you get to meet The Rick ? :)

Wait a minute? The easter egg is a Yoda rap video? What about the outtakes? Surely they're including some, right?

I'm with you, I'd much rather have an outtakes reel . . . but Van Ling wasn't as involved with this set so we might lose that signature touch of his. :(

Elliejabbapop
10-19-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm with you, I'd much rather have an outtakes reel . . . but Van Ling wasn't as involved with this set so we might lose that signature touch of his. :(

Are you kidding me? Oh God, I've just fallen from the sky. A SW dvd without a gag reel is not a SW dvd. The "Making of" book led us to so many expectations :cry: .

JimJamBonds
10-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Apparently the Yoda rapping/breakdancing thing is what you get when you punch in '1138.'

plasticfetish
10-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

After I get my own write-up of the junket done, I'll go through and do a review of the disk and pull some stills.

...soon...

El Chuxter
10-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Always nice to see consistency be damned.

Rocketboy
10-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Here's a screencap of the digitally re-done Episode I Yoda

Rocketboy
10-19-2005, 04:55 PM
And one of the Yoda egg.

Edit: Well, there would be if the mofo would attach.
I'll try again in a little while.

Edit 2: try the link (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12567&d=1129754992)

JimJamBonds
10-20-2005, 01:24 AM
No dice there with that link Rocketboy.

Rocketboy
10-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Ok, let me try it again...

Edit: Booyah!

JimJamBonds
10-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Ehh I think I'd rather not have seen that. :(

trandoshan666
10-20-2005, 11:51 AM
At least now we know what the real inspiration was for the "Michael Jackson-sculpt" Yoda figure in the ROTS line.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
We get that instead of outtakes?

Man, I have to poop now.

plasticfetish
10-20-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm not a big fan of the "funny stuff" with Yoda, seriously, but let me just say... this one's really kind of cool. Besides, it's just an Easter egg, it's supposed to be stupid.

As far as outtakes goes... when we're talkng about a movie that was filmed almost entirely infront of blue and green screens, how exciting do you really think they'd be?

Take 1: Obi-Wan standing on a huge green stage -- drops his light saber -- cut.

Take 2: Obi-Wan standing on a huge green stage -- drops his light saber -- cut.

Take 3: Obi-Wan standing on a huge green stage -- drops his light saber -- cut.

...there's quite a bit on that disk already.

(edit: let me throw some more of these at you...)

Slicker
10-20-2005, 04:09 PM
The Yoda scene looks like it's gonna be funny.

El Chuxter
10-20-2005, 05:32 PM
The outtakes on the other prequels were just people dropping their lightsabers? I must have different DVDs than you do. My discs have some funny stuff, like Yoda blowing his lines and Anakin burning himself with soup. :)

plasticfetish
10-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Chux, I think you're just gonna have to face it... nothing funny happened on the ROTS set.

Here's the way I figure it, in 5-8 years, when they put out a "Blu-Ray" Star Wars boxed set of all 6 movies, they'll be needing to fill up those big disks with as much junk as they can muster.

Then you'll have outtakes -- hours of outtakes. You'll have so much room on those disks that they'll be hiding HD versions of Rick McCallum's old baby photos on there, stills of Lucas' dental X-rays, and featurettes about what the Skywalker Ranch gardeners do during a 6 month period... in 3-D.

:D

For now... we get Yoda dancing and rapping a song by "The Roots."

Rocketboy
10-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Even though the Yoda rap looks like it could be good, I'd still rather have the outtakes. I love the ones on TPM and AOTC. I never tired of watching Hayden fall down or a drunk R2 bumping into everything.

But then again, if the ROTS outtakes are as bad as the ones on the OT set, then Yoda rappin' is cool with me.

2-1B
10-21-2005, 01:56 AM
I'd rather have an outtake reel of GLu and The Rick taking simultaneous dumps in the studio bathroom instead of that Yoda thing.

JimJamBonds
10-21-2005, 11:06 AM
How about an extra of The Rick firing down heaters?

Elliejabbapop
10-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Apparently someone already has them. KMC, MF.... just naming the big ones ;) Or else you can visit the individual actors' sites (ex. np.com).
I've decided to be strong and wait, which is a huge achievement for me :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
11-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Thank GOD the Obi/Anners 'hand comunication' scene didn't make it into the final film. Although I did laugh when Obbers suggests a "mustache twist." :)

plasticfetish
11-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Yeah, "cute" idea... but again, most of that stuff was deleted for a good reason.

TheDarthVader
11-01-2005, 03:43 PM
WARNING, SPOILERS!! LIST OF DELETED SCENES!

First scene (for those on a shoe string budget who didn't buy the DVD yet) shows Obi Wan and Anakin talking with General Greivous. Greivous has captured Shaak Ti, and he kills her. Then Obi Wan and Anakin find an escape.

Second scene shows a meeting of some senators to talk about forming the rebellion. Includes Amidala, Bail, and Mon Mothma.

Third scene shows another meeting of more senators discussing whether or not to tell the jedi about all of this (formation of a rebellion).

Fourth scene shows Amidala with senators talking to Palpatine about the war and other political issues. Then Palpy talks to Anakin.

Fifth scene shows Yoda, Mace and Obi Wan discussing their concern over Chancellor Palpatine and that there could be a plot to destroy the Jedi.

Sixth scene is very breif. It shows Yoda landing on Dagobah.

B.
TDV

Devo
11-01-2005, 04:44 PM
My opinion - Well the senator scenes were surprisingly decent I thought. Also the Dagobah scene was nice - reminiscent of ET. The first and fifth scenes were crap - shaak ti's demise and a scene with yoda, mace and obi talking - the latter contains some bad dialogue which is still in the film. Meanwhile the CGI in the Shaak scene is some of the worst in the entire prequel trilogy - very rushed.

Rocketboy
11-01-2005, 04:56 PM
The deleted are amazing(ly underwhelming).

The half completed death of Shaak Ti scene is really bad. Someone (Plasticfetish maybe?) said it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Correct, It's worse. It's too goofy and looks bad, even knowing it's just the animatics. Even though it's bad, it really should have been finished. I still don't understand why it wasn't.

The birth of the Rebllion scenes are good for the set-up of the OT, but the scenes themselves are boring and would have dragged the movie down.

The Yoda, Mace, and Obi-Wan scene is just OK, but there isn't much new here, since all the info was all re-used in later scenes.

The bright spot is Yoda arriving on Dagobah. Granted, it's really short and unneccessary, but it was cool to see.

I would have preffered an extended Vader/Obi-Wan fight and something with Qui-Gon.

TheDarthVader
11-01-2005, 06:35 PM
You said it man! WHERE THE HELL WAS QUI GON?

B.
TDV

plasticfetish
11-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Meanwhile the CGI in the Shaak scene is some of the worst in the entire prequel trilogy - very rushed.I'm guessing that you're talking about the stuff near the end of that scene? Keep in mind, the entire "deleted scene" was cobbled together from some finished and some very rough elements -- just to give us a clear idea of how the scene would have been if it had been used.

You said it man! WHERE THE HELL WAS QUI GON?They never filmed any Qui-Gon scenes. They talked about it, but that's it.

bobafrett
11-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I still haven't been able to get the 1138 thing to work, I want to see the Easter Egg in there.

tagmac
11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
The senate scenes, especially the third one with Palpatine, should have made it into the final cut. Boring or not, they are very important to the plot, and the scene with Palpy and Anakin adds more to the way he is manipulating and confusing Ani.

The more I watch the scenes on Kasyyk, the more it screams for an extended version, in cluding a scene of Yoda's escape with Chewie and Tarfful getting to see some action. The scenes as they are seem too rushed, and should have been more like the Battle of Endor (which we all know should have involved wookiees anyway).

Qui-Gon belonged in this movie, and why Lucas couldn't have offered a million or so to Liam Neeson to get into costume and film an extremely important 2 minute scene is a mystery to me. Lucas promised certain secrets would be revealed, but unless you read the book or comic adaptation, you wouldn't know why Jedi disappear when they die.

Also disappointing was the fact that we only got 6 deleted scenes, when the previous two movies had 8-9 each (although considering we got ZERO deleted scenes for the OT DVD's, perhaps I shouldn't complain).

Rocketboy
11-01-2005, 11:16 PM
The more I watch the scenes on Kasyyk, the more it screams for an extended version, in cluding a scene of Yoda's escape with Chewie and Tarfful getting to see some action. The scenes as they are seem too rushed, and should have been more like the Battle of Endor (which we all know should have involved wookiees anyway).I was thinking exactly the opposite. Kashyyyk was just a way to shoehorn the Wookies (especially Chewbacca) in there. The only plot point it served was getting Yoda off Coruscant, which could have been done without showing the battle. It would have been just fine with me if it weren't in there.

JimJamBonds
11-02-2005, 12:01 AM
I've been saying this for a bit now and I have to say (not that I have watched it) the Yoda delted scene is no big deal. I don't understand why people are making such a big deal out of it, its only 30 seconds or so with no real 'action' to it. I'm just fine that it didn't make the final cut.

2-1B
11-02-2005, 02:32 AM
The Yoda Raps thing was ridiculously lame.

The Yoda on Dagobah scene was cool but not needed in the movie, I'm glad it got cut.

I'm glad Qui-Gon's not in the movie, leave him out !

The Senate-ish scenes are cool to see but not very good scenes so I'm glad they got cut. I can't believe GLu gave his daughters LINES of actual dialogue ! :crazed: But they weren't any worse than Bai Ling or the other Senators in there, I mean Jimmy Smits and Nat Portman must have been wondering where they dug those people out of . . . with the exception of Mon Mothma, natch. :)

The Grievous Shaak Ti thing was funny, if only to hear Orli Shoshan talk, but on a serious note I loved the banter between Obi and Ani and their hand gestures.

Overall that is easily the best compilation of deleted prequel scenes . . . but none of them should have been included in the film (except for more banter between Skywalker and Kenobi). Compare that to AOTC, where I thought Padme's family should have been left in . . . but the other deleted AOTC scenes were worse than ROTS, so on the whole, ROTS has the best deleted scenes category.

plasticfetish
11-02-2005, 03:21 AM
Aww c'mon, the Yoda thing is supposed to be stupid. (No more stupid than all of the f'ing Yodas wearing a Santa suit that we'll be seeing soon. I hate that!)

-----

Yeah, I think the Qui-Gon thing would have ended up being pretty lame. If he couldn't be an element in all 3 movies, like Obi-Wan in the OT, then it doesn't belong. I would have even liked it if the end of that scene where Yoda pulls Obi-Wan aside and mentions Qui-Gon was cut out. It just seems too desperate. Kills the surprise anyway... if we are supposed to watch them in order.

The "Padme's apartment" scene... MAN!!! ...that Bai Ling is mumbling like that and she wonders why her scene got cut?!? Yeah, it's a good thing that Smits is such a good-natured guy. (I don't think the "rebellion" needs any big setup. I think it's pretty obvious by Ep. IV why it's all happened. Emperor bad, Vader bad... rebellion good.)

The banter between Obi-Wan and Anakin in the "Grievous slaughters a Jedi" scene was good. The part at the very end of the animatic, the "I still have much to learn" thing was nice. We really did need as much of that as possible in the film, but...

Devo
11-02-2005, 08:17 AM
The banter between Obi-Wan and Anakin in the "Grievous slaughters a Jedi" scene was good. The part at the very end of the animatic, the "I still have much to learn" thing was nice. We really did need as much of that as possible in the film, but...

We didn't need it in ROTS we needed it in AOTC and possibly even TPM!! They needed to be more adversarial in ROTS. As it is in this final film they go from having a friendly (and seemingly genuine at the time) exchange to Anakin somehow hating Obi-wan the next time they meet!!

jlw
11-02-2005, 08:20 AM
I really didn't see any deleted scene that I felt should have been in the movie. The alternate scene with Anakin & Obi-Wan escaping through the shaft reminded me of the Yoda scene in the movie when he escapes from the Emperor, so I am glad it didn't make it in the film.

Wasn't too impressed with the Rebellion scenes either, maybe the first one could have made it in just to establish the beginnings of the Alliance.

But I am one of those that wishes the Qui-Gon scene was in the film. Lucas promised to explain why Yoda & Obi-Wan are the only two to vanish into the Force. Well, its not explained, its only hinted at. I feel that having the Qui-Gon voice in Ep. 3 would better explain hearing his voice in Ep. 2.

Devo
11-02-2005, 08:29 AM
But I am one of those that wishes the Qui-Gon scene was in the film. Lucas promised to explain why Yoda & Obi-Wan are the only two to vanish into the Force. Well, its not explained, its only hinted at. I feel that having the Qui-Gon voice in Ep. 3 would better explain hearing his voice in Ep. 2.

I've said it in other threads but before TPM this didn't need to be explained. It was only when feckin' Qui-gon had to be cremated that there was any confusion. Why couldn't they just have had him vanish after he said his words to Obi-wan?? Better yet - why did he have to exist at all?? As far as the OT is concerned he isn't worthy of mention and he detracted from known jedi characters Obi-wan and Yoda and what should have been vital onscreen development of the Obi-wan/Anakin relationship.

JEDIpartner
11-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Having seen the "Rebellion" scenes, at least ONE of them should have been in the film. George's explanation that this was Anakin's story and not Padme's was L.A.M.E. The rebellion would have gotten a jump point from this and would have given the "so this is how democracy dies..." scene a little more weight.

El Chuxter
11-02-2005, 01:08 PM
The death of Shaak Ti was stupid, clunky, and totally out of character for everyone involved. It needed to go.

The "Plot Against the Jedi" was re-worked into another scene, so it needed to go.

The others, well, George needs a kick in the groin for cutting them. He's a genius, but sometimes he's a moron as well.

trandoshan666
11-02-2005, 07:36 PM
I pretty much agree with what Chux said. As far as the Yoda scene is concerned, I think it should have been left in the movie. True, it's not essential to the story, but it stirred a little emotion for me. When you consider that it's so brief, it's hard to understand why it was removed in the first place.

2-1B
11-02-2005, 11:30 PM
The others, well, George needs a kick in the groin for cutting them. He's a genius, but sometimes he's a moron as well.

Chux, what do you think of the acting in those scenes ? I thought much of it was horrible. See, before I ever saw these scenes I thought they belonged in the movie based on what they included . . . I loved the ideas on paper . . . but then to see them, man oh man was that some bad stuff. :crazed: I'm surprised at the poor casting of most of those Senators.

and to just think that there are 2000 of them in alliance. lol lol lol

The death of Shaak Ti was stupid, clunky, and totally out of character for everyone involved.

How so ? :) (the out of character part, that is)

bobafrett
11-02-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm glad the Shaak Ti scene was dropped. It reminded me to much of the hostages across the seas who get kiiled in cold blood. Maybe it's just me.

JetsAndHeels
11-03-2005, 12:01 AM
The Anakin and Obi Wan part where they pull themselves through the narrow pathway (when the SBD's are following them in the corridor with the gas leak) scares me. I am claustrophobic so that one tends to freak me out a bit. :yes:

Rocketboy
11-03-2005, 10:16 AM
How so ? (the out of character part, that is)Don't want to speak for Chux, but I think it's out of place because of those goofy handsignals at such a series moment. They just witnessed a fellow Jedi being murdered in cold blood and they're making hand signals? I half expected Greivous to hurl a slider at them. And I have a sneaking suspicion that if the camera were to pan over we would have seen Mr Burns next to them.

2-1B
11-03-2005, 01:16 PM
I thought the hand signal thing was awesome. Funny to me the viewer, yet very effective in making an escape from Double G.

You guys suck. lol lol lol

JEDIpartner
11-03-2005, 02:26 PM
I liked the hand signal thing. I thought it was very humourous!!!

El Chuxter
11-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Rocketboy pretty much nailed it, but I also found it really out of character for Shaak Ti. True, in the films, we know practically nothing about her. But we know she's on the Jedi Council, which is enough to make her complete spinelessness seem ridiculous.

I thought the background acting in the Rebellion scenes was pretty mediocre, and it sort of bothered me that it's this huge secret, no one outside this room must know, yadda yadda, but every scene has a different lineup of Senators.

Do I think they should've been cut due to bad acting? No. If all the scenes with lousy acting were cut, Padme would only appear in the film as a corpse.

Again, for the record, I love Ms Portman and think she's a fine actress. One of the best in the business, even. But ROTS is definitely her worst work.

JimJamBonds
11-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Did anybody else happen to notice in the 'death of Shaak Ti' scene that when there is the closeup of Shaak the camera then pans up to Grevious that he is kind of 'stroking' one of her horns? :whip: I noticed this on my first viewing but forgot to post about it until I watched it again last night.

Elliejabbapop
11-04-2005, 12:55 PM
pans up to Grevious that he is kind of 'stroking' one of her horns?

I noticed it immediately and personally I loved it, because it felt more like the Grevious we read about in the novel (remember when he splatters the Nemodian's brains all over the seat?) than the one we saw in the film.

JimJamBonds
11-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Maybe he was thinking of his wives' and missing them??? :D

2-1B
11-04-2005, 09:48 PM
good point GoldBonds, they should put a deleted scene of his family on the next DVD version, similar to what they did with Ratts Tyrell's brood in SWE1TPM. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Some points...

Where in the books or comics does it say HOW Jedi become spirits?I read the novel, and I read the comic trade paperback (all the issues in one book). I don't recall reading any reasons, just that Qui-Gon knows how.

We get to hear characters speak!Shaak Ti's voice is cool; too bad we didn't hear more of her in AOTC and ROTS. I was shocked to see her die as she did, and it would've made Grievous more of a truly evil villain, but that emotional shock was necessary at the end, not the beginning. The Mon Mothma voice is pretty close to the ROTJ actress. But that Aborgini (sp?) guy in Padme's apartment? What the heck did he say? I say the Petitioners of the 2000 signed a note to Lucas saying 'go ahead and delete our scene; we can't understand him. :confused:

The animatics did take away from the "reality" of the gas leak scene.But they were simplistic because it was never a finished scene. Mr. Rick said he felt this one would probably not make it past the cutting room floor (what would be the equivalent in the digital age for a cutting room floor? the desktop? the recycling bin? binary code?).

tagmac
11-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Some points...

Where in the books or comics does it say HOW Jedi become spirits?I read the novel, and I read the comic trade paperback (all the issues in one book). I don't recall reading any reasons, just that Qui-Gon knows how.

In the comics adaptation, Qui-Gon mentions that it requires giving up one's spirit willingly and through love of the force. Anger and aggression will not allow it. Too bad this didn't make it into the movie thanks to a Qui-Gon voice over, as Lucas basically promised would in some way occur back when TPM first came out.