PDA

View Full Version : Dressing a Galaxy

Jayspawn
09-30-2005, 09:36 AM
This book featuring the costumes and wardrobes of Star Wars designed by Trisha Biggar is about to be released and, I gotta tell you I'm excited as hell. Both Trisha and Natalie Portman have written prefaces in the book and I'm anxious to read what they have to say as well as see the great costumes. I remember I met Trisha Biggar in 1999 at Celebration I in Denver. She was a very nice lady, I didnt know who she was at first -we talked for a while about Star Wars and this and that -then I got it. Anyways I told her I hadnt seen the movie yet (obviously it hadnt come out) but told her it looked great.

I cant wait to order one. As much as I'd like the Deluxe version I'll be just happy with the book alone.

SWS.com has them in stock for $50, but I'll hold out for Amazon's $31.50.

2-1B
09-30-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm looking forward to it as well, I just noted the 31.50 over at Amazon and at that price it's a definite pickup for me ! Not sure if I would be willing to pay 50 but this is perfect. :)

El Chuxter
09-30-2005, 12:09 PM
I'd love to get the DVD that comes with the mack-daddy edition, but an extra $250 for it is a bit much. I wish there was a "middle of the road" version that was more loaded than just the basic book but didn't include the stupid cloth samples.

JimJamBonds
09-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Yeah cool book but thats waaaaaaay 2 much for me.

stillakid
09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
I took the plunge and bought the big one. :thumbsup:

I can count it as a tax-write off though... :lipsrseal

El Chuxter
09-30-2005, 02:05 PM
I can count it as a tax-write off though... :lipsrseal

How so? :confused:

stillakid
09-30-2005, 04:15 PM
How so? :confused:

Business related expense. It falls under "research."

bobafrett
10-02-2005, 06:04 PM
I'd love to get the DVD that comes with the mack-daddy edition, but an extra $250 for it is a bit much. I wish there was a "middle of the road" version that was more loaded than just the basic book but didn't include the stupid cloth samples.

Does this just cover the PT or the OT as well? I would like to find out what was used to dress Luke and Han in the Stormtrooper armor. I mean it would be "research" for me as well, but I couldn't write it off.

Jayspawn
10-02-2005, 08:49 PM
This book covers the wardrobes of Episodes I, II & III as everything was designed by Trisha Biggar and the book exclusivly covers HER work.

The costumes/wardrobes of the Original Trilogy are covered in The Star Wars Chronicles by Deborah Fine. But just a warning, its $$$.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I have tickets to the exhibit itself this weekend, and as it is a costume exhibition, I am debating whether to go as Bel-Cam Jos himself (see avatar to left), sans beard (and, sadly, some hair from when last this picture was taken :sleeping: ). I hear they have signed copies of the book available, but I don't know if I need that. Will inform how well literature imitates fashion art.

Jayspawn
10-07-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm starting to get more impatient waiting for this book to be released. I checked with Barnes & Noble and Media Play, neither of which have it on order. Borders says they are expecting 1 copy to come in.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2005, 08:20 AM
I saw the book and the exhibition yesterday, and they were great! I could have purchased a signed copy by Trisha Biggar (at no extra charge, mind you) of the $300 boxed versions. I was tempted (in my mind, a lack of credit card debt is evil! :p ), but decided to wait for the more affordable version ($50 cover price, I think) later. Bel-Cam Jos made an appearance (apparently carrying a self-made lightsaber is not against security rules, but using a flash camera is), and I'll try to include some pics.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Hopefully I've loaded these correctly. There should be a pic of me in front of the full-size X-Wing model (with signatures of SW stars on the side of it! ), a collection of Padme outfits, as well as one of some Sith/Empire costumes in a cool red room (red room, red room... :p ).

Jayspawn
10-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Good pics! I got to see some pictures from the exhibit a week ago. I'm still waiting for the book to hit more (at least SOME) etailers.

bobafrett
10-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Nice pics Bel-Cam, I was hoping this exhibit would make its way through the Chicagoland area.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Good pics! I got to see some pictures from the exhibit a week ago. I'm still waiting for the book to hit more (at least SOME) etailers.

Nice pics Bel-Cam, I was hoping this exhibit would make its way through the Chicagoland area.
Thanks. I took almost 40 pictures, but without flash, and the fact that it takes a while to format them to fit SSG's extremely strict and unfair size policies, :rolleyes: I just tried to find the clear ones. According to my sources, the book's supposed to be available Nov. 1. You can pre-order it right now from some places, I believe. I don't know if this is a traveling exhibit, or if, like the strict and unfair Disneyworld Disney SW Weekends, :mad: it's only going to be in one location.

stillakid
10-17-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm going to hit the exhibit as soon as possible, but what's up with the books? I thought that they were supposed to ship Oct. 1... :confused: Anybody else not get there's yet?

Jayspawn
10-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I still havnt seen them anywhere online except for SWS.com. They're supposed to be out now....

El Chuxter
10-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Amazon is listing it as not yet published, but with an October 1 date.

jonthejedi
10-18-2005, 03:53 PM
I have the deluxe, deluxe version(re: expensive) with DVD on order with Amazon. I fired them a nasty email as to where's the book. Est. DELIVERY has come & gone, twice. NO updated info was the response I received.

Jayspawn
10-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Remember that nasty emails dont usualy get fast responses.

I'm annoyed about the lateness of this book. There hasnt been any public explination as to why its not out yet. Something would be nice.

jonthejedi
10-19-2005, 03:35 AM
ShopSW.com now has a Nov. 1 ship date for the $50 version...so I'm not sure what's going on.

Jayspawn
10-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Amazon.com has it IN STOCK RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! For $31.50!

GO! GO! GO!

Jayspawn
10-19-2005, 05:44 PM
My copy shipped out this morning already. I should be getting it in a few days. And I got FREE shipping too!

jonthejedi
10-20-2005, 04:03 AM
I wonder where this leaves the $295 version with the DVD??? Is it coming in later?

stillakid
10-20-2005, 07:32 AM
I wonder where this leaves the $295 version with the DVD??? Is it coming in later?

Mine was billed today at Starwarsshop.com. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2005, 08:38 AM
I've glanced through my "cheap" :rolleyes: $50 one, but for those of you who shelled out the Republic credits for the larger one, you'll love it (like Lt. Frank Drebin loves swimming in... well, that's a Naked Gun reference for you). It comes with lots (i.e. many, much, or tons) of cool stuff (I saw it at the exhibit). This is one of the best reference or visual books ever.

Jayspawn
10-24-2005, 09:57 AM
My copy is scheduled to arrive in the mail today! Needless to say I'm excited. Cant wat to finally see a copy.

Jayspawn
10-26-2005, 12:18 AM
WOW! I of course recieved my copy (thanks to Amazon.com for finally getting it in). And its incredible! I'd call it one of the BEST books on Star Wars ever. The detail put into the book is amazing. I'm impressed as hell. I recommend it to anyone even thinking about getting it. The commentaries by cast and crew members are great!

jonthejedi
10-26-2005, 04:50 AM
Now if they'd just get the deluxe DVD version in the warehouse...I'm dying to see this book as well...the costumes have always been one of my fav. things from the Saga. I've even picked up quite a bit of studio portrait 8x10's from OfficialPix.com. Anxiously waiting...

stillakid
10-26-2005, 10:55 PM
WOW! My Deluxe version was waiting for me at home tonight. VERY cool. Heavy. Involved. Impressive. Well worth the money. Now all I need is time to sit with it. The kids loved it too. Being able to feel some of the fabrics was a big hit.

Next stop, the exhibition. We'll get to that in a few weeks. :)

jonthejedi
10-27-2005, 04:53 AM
Who did you order from...obviously not Amazon?

stillakid
10-27-2005, 05:52 AM
Who did you order from...obviously not Amazon?

Starwarsshop.com. I have one of the Deluxe Autographed copies. #900-something.

Jayspawn
10-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Good to hear your review stilla!

I love my copy. All you have to say is "Dressing a Galaxy" and I get all giddy. :D

jonthejedi
10-27-2005, 04:00 PM
How is the dvd, Jayspawn?

Jayspawn
10-27-2005, 04:53 PM
(actually I only bought the book)

I would have bought the Deluxe set but Gentle Giant and Master Replicas take up most of my High-End budget.

jonthejedi
10-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Whoops, sorry, I guess that question should have gone to Stillakid.

stillakid
10-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Whoops, sorry, I guess that question should have gone to Stillakid.

I haven't had time to look at it. Maybe this weekend, maybe. Terribly busy lately. No time to even go see the exhibit yet. But all will happen in time. :)

jedibear
11-15-2005, 08:57 PM
"Dressing A Galaxy" by Trisha Bigger...

...looks like just another expensive coffee-table book that after flipping through it once, you'd be done with it.
NOT TRUE!!!
This book is a well designed, well laid-out look at the costumes designed by Biggar and created by her and her immensely talented team. The book is divided into character-themed sections (eg: Jedi/Sith, Galactic Senate, Padme's Journey, etc) that works well in presenting the different groups of costumes throughout the saga. The book features stunning (and I don't use that word lightly) photography that really shows the various textures, layers and colors along with some great character/cast portraits along with extremely informative text containing everything from comments from the cast to glimpses as to what went into the various looks (such as different cultural references) or how a costume truly carrys a dramatic part of the scene it's featured in as well.
A fine example is one such anecdote from McCallum where he asks what inspired Biggar's creation of Padme's funeral dress. Not to ruin the read for everyone but let's just say it was cool to read that she designs for the sake of the story and the character and she pays attention to the character's journey through the script. Great stuff...
The photography is archival quality, truly bringing out the best in the characters and costumes...Shaak Ti has never looked more exotic, Luminara Unduli never more elegant..Obi-wan never more honorable and on & on...and you get to examine the extreme detail of many Padme's costumes and many others.
The classic films are mentioned in sidebars throughout the book as far as how they inspired Biggar's approach to her work on the prequels along with remembrances from John Mollo and others from the classic era.
Biggar keeps her focus firmly on the handcrafted here and while that's totally understandable, it gives a regrettable short shift to another huge aspect of the costumes of the prequel series and that's those of the computer-generated characters. They are covered mostly in sidebars and some small mentions in the main text with discussions with folks like Robert Coleman and other CGI artists throughout the saga. Unfortunately, the photography of this work is also relegated to small examples in the sidebars and that's a shame...stunning characters like the Kamonians and interesting characters like the Geonosians and Gungans took careful work between Biggar and the Artists behind these CGI creations to make sure they fit within the design mileu Biggar was creating. Considering how much of the prequel's stunning characters and imagery is realized via CGI, it would have been interesting to read a little more about the interaction between the two.
This issue is a minor distraction... after all, there is alot of information in other SW production books out there that cover the amazing CGI work in the saga and again it's a totally understandable choice of Biggar to focus on the truly tangible here and she does to amazing, beautiful effect.
This book not only displays the pride of craftsmanship that went into the amazing creations of Biggar and her team but it is also a beautiful journey to that galaxy once again...
Any fan of the saga would be advised to consider adding this beautiful volume to their SW book collection!

(One last comment: I bought the basic edition of this book. As wonderful as this book is, I couldn't bring myself to spend upwards of $200. for the deluxe version. It's cool to read comments here about how nice the set is, but with that expensive "Chronicles" book on the horizon as well as "Dark Lord"...had to make some hard choices somewhere...)

El Chuxter
11-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Well, I went into amazon.com to check the status of another order I'd placed, and I had a Gold Box coupon for the standard edition of this. It's only another $1.20, but I finally ordered it. I've been debating which version to get, but I absolutely can't justify the cost of the superfly edition (as much as I'd love to have it).

stillakid
11-20-2005, 06:40 PM
The kids, wife, and I popped down the 101 this afternoon to finally take a look at the exhibit. Very cool. I swear I didn't recognize half the outfits that Padme supposedly wore. That chick changes clothes more often than Stevie Nicks.

It was a bit smaller than I expected, but fun nonetheless. December 4th is another Fan Appreciation day apparently, complete with a costume contest. I'll think about going (and maybe throwing dignity to the wind and dressing up!)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2005, 06:35 PM
I finally finished this puppy, and I was quite impressed. Especially by the large collection of organized still shots at the end, of many of the characters.

Exhaust Port
09-06-2008, 10:06 AM
So I'm late to the game here but I received Dressing a Galaxy for my birthday and just finished reading it so here's my brief review.

I'm a sucker for coffee table books and there have been a few great SW/ILM books over the years. I really think they put together a great collection of pictures and insights to the creation of the costumes. I'm by no means no much about textiles and I still found the book to be very interesting. I was impressed at the detail of workmanship despite that each costume was being used for a movie and wasn't meant to be showcased on screen, they are all just props. The pictures were amazing and really captured the characters and costumes well. I was suprised to learn that these pictures were taken ONLY after the scene in which they were used was shot. I always imagined some big day of playing dress up where they took pictures of each actor in every costume they wore in the movie. Interesting.

Obviously the financial gloves were off for the costume budget especially for Padme. I did notice that this book just about covers the rise and fall of big screen costuming. It left me with the impression that this skill (like model making) could disappear as CGI takes over even actor and costume creation. Too bad.

Books like these are great examples of how much of a preservationist GL is. The amount of cataloging and archiving that he has performed is outstanding and that he shares it with the rest of us is even better. There are so many other SciFi movies that I would love to have even 5% of the coverage that GL provides for SW. Such a shame too because all that information is lost forever.

As someone else here had mentioned the picture index at the end was great. It would have been nice if the pictures were larger though. The amount of pictures was an indication of how much information was left out of this book. Obvoiusly Padme's wardrobe was the biggest item in the movies but so many other characters, costumes, stories were left out. It was a bit sad to see how many of the characters were CGI so no actual costume exists.

I would like to see something like this for the OT costumes as well but even that probably wouldn't be enough to satisfy the SW fans. I highly recommend this book.