PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe Sigma 6

Pages : [1] 2

JediTricks
09-30-2005, 05:09 PM
I know a lot of Joe fans are really miffed by this line, I was among them when we first saw the Sigma 6 line as I've been a RAH fan since forever. However, what drew me to the RAH line is what ultimately just drew me into this new Sigma 6 line: the accessories. RAH was amazing to me because there were a million accessories with every figure, guns, swords, gizmos, you name it, and with Sigma 6, the 4 sets I've bought so far have had even more accessories per figure than even the RAH line! Plus, the 8" scale lets the articulation really work well, and the accessories get to be bigger and more detailed. The minus is that RAH's myriad of vehicles is not feasible with this S6 line, the only vehicle so far is the Ninja Hovercycle.

So far, I have Snake Eyes, Duke, Storm Shadow, and the Ninja Hovercycle. The cycle is a little big for the figures but doable, and it's nifty in its own right AND has lots of accessories (it has SE's accessories but with a few changes). The figures are all very cool, somewhat cartoony but not ridiculous or overly-anime (well, SE's eyes are, but he has the visor that can cover it up), and each figure sports lots of articulation which was the other thing about RAH that appealed to me. RAH was more about building armies though, where at $15 a pop S6 is definitely not going to have dozens of figures in kids hands, so there are trade-offs, but S6 has great play value just as RAH did. The S6 Joes even have flip-up commlinks on their wrists which is a great touch.

SE and Duke do have an oversized accessory, SE has the whip-star which ain't too bad but also the zipline handle which is just too big (and the whip-star's rope isn't long enough to make that fun anyway), Duke has this oversized grappling gun with huge hook and pull-down-to-go-up feature (but it does work with the switchfire gun so that's a slightly saving grace). SS has a display stand for his 2 swords, it's the least offensive of these larger accessories though. All 3 figures have lots of cool accessories to make up for the one not as cool accessory, Storm Shadow's traditional ninja gear being my favorite overall, though Duke's switchfire blasters and 2 of its attachments are really cool too, and Snake Eyes has some good stuff as well.

I saw one ep of the show, for me it could not have been worse, but I loved the old RAH line for years without thinking about the show (I watched the show, but not religiously like some of my friends at the time), so I am pretty sure S6 will work for me based on the toys in spite of the show and that'll be just fine.

El Chuxter
09-30-2005, 05:34 PM
I think the figures look pretty nice, but at $15 each, they're way overpriced. The design is cool overall, and I'm glad we finally got a Snake Eyes that shows some scar tissue. :ninja:

I caught part of an episode of the TV show as well. The animation was gorgeous, the character designs were perfect updates (though Scarlett looked way too young to be getting it on with a Vietnam vet), and I loved that two characters (Duke and Hawk) were referred to by real names.

What didn't I like? Everything else. The story was weak, and focused way too much on Hawk's annoying kid. (I don't recall him having kids in any previous incarnation, and it doesn't fit for a man who, RAH or Sigma 6, devoted his entire life to his country.) Duke got way too much screen time, too. I always thought they misspelled the name of the character initially, and it should've been "Douche." (I may be in a minority, but I'd love to see a 30-minute episode of any GI Joe cartoon that's just Duke getting kicked in the jimmies by every single bad guy.)

And why would an American cartoon be poorly dubbed, regardless of whether it was produced by a Japanese studio? Were they trying to make it look like an import?

The opening credits showed all the really cool Cobras: Destro, Cobra Commander, Zartan, Annie DeCobray-Destro, etc. Why, then, is Hasbro making only a Storm Shadow? Tell me you wouldn't want a Sigma 6 styled Zartan or Destro. C'mon. I dare you.

Bacta Beast
10-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Dare taken! Two reasons.
1. The line sucks and I don't want to see anymore of the characters I like ruined.
2.Even if I liked the line, I couldn't afford to buy them because of the rising cost of fuel, and the rising cost of Star Wars collecting due to online (Entertainment Earth & Star Wars Shop) exclusives!

Okay I do think it's cool how the top and bottom of the packaging become the carrying case for the accessories.:yes:

JediTricks
10-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Chux, how much do you think they should be then? I think $12 is the magic number there, they're 8" figures with lots of articulation and gear and a big weapons case, they're not gonna be the same price as a 4" figure.

Next wave of figures has Cobra Commander and a BAT, BATs being the line's main Cobra grunt, so the villains are not out of the running. I do agree that they should have put Destro or another Cobra into the first wave alongside the awesome Storm Shadow figure, it's not right having 4 Joes to 1 Cobra.

Tell me you wouldn't want a Sigma 6 styled Zartan or Destro. C'mon. I dare you.Dare taken! Two reasons.
1. The line sucks and I don't want to see anymore of the characters I like ruined.Er, Hasbro already did that with the RAH line with both those characters, I give you the last iterations of Destro the Pinhead: http://www.yojoe.com/action/04/destro11.shtml
and Zartan in disguise as a boring generic figure:
http://www.yojoe.com/action/04/zartan7.shtml

Face it, Hasbro hasn't been doing right by a lot of these characters, we cannot hold onto the past because otherwise we get stuff like this...
http://www.yojoe.com/action/82/cobra.shtml

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! What a complete loser!

Bacta Beast
10-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Hey, I love that little guy!!!

OK, OK! I just bought my son Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and the Ninja Cycle (because you know ninja were all about the high tech stuff) for his birthday.

Bacta Beast
10-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Chux, how much do you think they should be then? I think $12 is the magic number there, they're 8" figures with lots of articulation and gear and a big weapons case, they're not gonna be the same price as a 4" figure.

I have a hard time seeing Marvel Legends for $7-$8 ea. and then seeing these for $15. I would think $10 would be more reasonable. Still more than "Legends" and fair considering the higher quality plastic and packaging gimic.

JediTricks
10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
So, what did the kid think of the toys? And the modern ninja would need to adapt... ok, that's lame, even for me. ;)

Marvel Legends is several inches shorter and far less material, almost no good accessories, and their quality control & play value is... shall we say, not top-drawer? :p I do hear ya though, $15 does seem pretty high.

Ji'dai
10-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I had time to get a better look at these figures yesterday. Although I've lost interest in Joe stuff, I do think the figures are pretty neat looking. I don't care for anime at all and haven't seen the new cartoon but the sculpts weren't that bad. Looked like the figures have decent articulation and are packaged in a cool box with their accessories on display. As someone mentioned already, I noticed that the box caps fit together to make a footlocker to hold the accessories; plus those boxes are stackable. Too bad they won't hold the figure too.

The $15 pricepoint is the major stumbling block. I don't know if kids will be able to talk parents into springing for a potentially large line of figures at this price. Personally, I have a hard time justifying more than $10 on a figure, even if the new Joes are a couple of inches taller than the standard McFarlane or NECA figure, which usually retail around ten bucks. I just passed on the new Hellboy figures since they were $15 each. I started feeling buyer remorse just handling them in the store :D

Bacta Beast
10-29-2005, 03:58 AM
So, what did the kid think of the toys? And the modern ninja would need to adapt... ok, that's lame, even for me. ;)

Marvel Legends is several inches shorter and far less material, almost no good accessories, and their quality control & play value is... shall we say, not top-drawer? :p I do hear ya though, $15 does seem pretty high.

My son loves them and was suprised that I bought them. The Accessories are cool, the plastic is nice and tough, but personally I still don't like the sculpts. But the motorcyc;e has some cool features.

The was a wave or two, a couple years ago where I thought it looked like Hasbro was goin to "get it right" with the revisted American Heroe line. There was a really good Duke, and Snake Eyes. But ever since they relaunched it I didn't like the comic style profile shots. It was like POTF2, everyone looked like He-Man! I would have gone nuts over vintage style packaging, and probably paid more for each figure that way!

JediTricks
10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
They're offering new RAH figures in classic-style packaging on the Hasbro site now, the line isn't dead, just pushed to the internet.

I don't know why, but when you were talking about the POTF2 figs, I thought you said they all looked like Pac-Man! What a picture that put in my head! :crazed: :D

Fluke Skywalker
11-06-2005, 10:37 AM
IMO, Hasbro hasn't done right by Joe since about 1987. Anyone remember "Eco Warriors"? :rolleyes:

The latest 3 3/4 figures I've seen are all using the same molds from the 80's, but with cheap looking plastic and bad paint jobs. I had some hope for the "Sigma 6" line, but they don't look that impressive up close, and like a lot of people have said, $15 is too high. I'll stick to the classic RAH line :thumbsup:

Bacta Beast
11-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Cobra lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Adam
11-07-2005, 08:33 PM
I've been eyeing these lately. While I had GI Joes as a kid, overtime I grew to dislike the 3 3/4inch line. These seem like something I could get into though.. Storm Shadow looks pretty cool. I really shouldn't spend the money, but I might pick SS up and see how much I like it.

JediTricks
11-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Storm Shadow is easily my favorite, he's worth getting even if you don't get any others. He has a ton of ninja accessories, you cannot go too wrong with him.

El Chuxter
11-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Cobra lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

That is truly, truly sick.

JediTricks
11-12-2005, 04:07 PM
WM has the Sigma 6 figs on sale for $12.34, so I bought Heavy Duty since I had been considering him since day 1. He's not bad, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price.

The figure itself is pretty good, he's big and burly, way bigger than any of the others, and he even has an extra point of articulation, the entire upper arm can rotate at the shoulder. On mine, the left arm articulation is a little loose which kinda screws up poseability with the big gun because of its weight, it doesn't look bad per se but there's less pose choices.

As for accessories, he has pants that have a clipping belt, snap fly, and a clip at the bottom of each leg which cinches it closed, the pants also have several working pockets; a plastic bandana on his head; comm goggles/glasses; and the huge cannon with its backpack, power cores, ammo belt, and slide-on missile launcher with 2 missiles; also, because Heavy Duty's box is bigger, his ammo case made from the caps is deeper back than the others, it holds the backpack and its 2 cores, and you can put the other accessories in except the gun which is massive.

Oddly, they neglected to accomodate both the bandana AND glasses, so one has to be moved slightly around the ears to accomodate the other.

Heavy Duty's gun is very big and not too shabby, the gattling barrel rotates when you wind up the back and hit the switch, the barrel piece can pop off so it won't break during a fall, and it has a slide-on missile launcher which doesn't overwhelm it. However, the rotating drum inside that's supposed to change colors to show it's firing is uniform in color and shape, so it doesn't look like jack squat. The gun's trigger handle (for the figure, not the wind-up trigger) can rotate up or down to accomodate more poses, that's cool. Having the missile launcher NOT be optionally a handheld weapon is a little disappointing, but it doesn't look bad without a missile so I ain't too sad, plus you can fudge it in Heavy Duty's hand thanks to a small angled tab ahead of the trigger.

He's good, but since I like accessories he's not great. Most of the gimmick work well and look good, and he's big and well-articulated even if mine has a weak arm.

I also realized that the Ninja Hovercycle isn't out of scale with the line, it's the right scale for Duke, unfortunately for Snake Eyes that means it's a large bike for a small guy. ;)

I also picked up the Cobra Ninja Hovercycle last night at WM, haven't even opened it yet, it's got Storm Shadow's colorscheme and dragon but the dragon is a little sloppy and overwhelming. The windshield is a different piece and there's a different tail on the back, but the rest of the bike is the same. The bike has new accessories, some throwing stars and some new swords and some other goodies, I'll check 'em out later today and report back.

El Chuxter
11-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Heavy Duty? Bah. Cheap-arse Roadblock knockoff. Considering they've got the name Roadblock, and most of these are updates of classic characters, why'd they pick Heavy Duty? With him in the line, I expect Skidmark and Super Trooper to come soon.

Bacta Beast
11-13-2005, 11:34 AM
I'll stick to the classic RAH line :thumbsup:

Too bad Hasbro didn't.

JediTricks
11-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Heavy Duty? Bah. Cheap-arse Roadblock knockoff. Considering they've got the name Roadblock, and most of these are updates of classic characters, why'd they pick Heavy Duty? With him in the line, I expect Skidmark and Super Trooper to come soon.
I dunno why they chose Heavy Duty over Roadblock, maybe Heavy Duty's strength or youth. I don't really care, I don't equate these figures THAT strongly with the RAH line, I mean, Long Range wasn't even a sniper before, he was a driver, Low Light was the sniper.

Super Trooper and Skidmark were from '88, Heavy Duty first was released in '91, while Skidmark and ST there had only 1 issuing, there have been 9 versions of Heavy Duty, so it's not like he's an unknown the way those others are. (now, if you had taken a cheap shot at Spirit Iron-Knife, I would have had no ground to stand on :D)

Too bad Hasbro didn't.The RAH line isn't dead, in fact it's gone back to the classic cards, with new figures and vehicles even, and some have been integrated into Sigma 6 (apparently S6 characters are also being integrated into the RAH line at that size) it's just an online exclusive now: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=520

El Chuxter
11-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah, but Heavy Duty still sucks. I can't wait for a Raptor or Serpentor Sigma Six figure.

Weren't there only so many Heavy Duty figures because they were really supposed to be Roadblock, but Hasbro wasn't able to get the rights back to that name for the first few waves of the "Vs Cobra" line? That's the way I'd always understood it.

And as for age, Spirit, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Duke are all considerably older than Heavy Duty in RAH continuity. I believe he didn't show up until the Devil's Due run a couple of years ago (or at least way late in the Marvel run), whereas the others were early recruits to their teams. Snakes and Stormie were both Vietnam vets who served on the LRRP headed by Lonzo "Stalker" Wilkinson, so they're way old now.

But still kicking butt, lest ye doubt it. :ninja:

Bacta Beast
11-14-2005, 12:02 AM
I know about the RAH line continuing. And I think the new ones look awesome. I just wish Hasbro would have made that their retail offering and stuck with it in that sense.:thumbsup: Spirit Iron Knife rocks, Airbourne rocks, Grand Slam & Flash rock, Hawk can kick Dukes butt, and Roadblock is always going to be better than Heavy Duty!!!!!!:D

JediTricks
11-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Weren't there only so many Heavy Duty figures because they were really supposed to be Roadblock, but Hasbro wasn't able to get the rights back to that name for the first few waves of the "Vs Cobra" line? That's the way I'd always understood it.I dunno, let's look at the years they share that we're talking about:
'91 - Heavy Duty
'92 - Roadblock
'93 - Heavy Duty, Roadblock, another Roadblock
'94 - Roadblock
'98 - Heavy Duty (w/ MOBAT)
'02 - Roadblock (part of Vs Cobra 8-fig boxed set), Heavy Duty x3 (2 were the same carded set repainted from each other, the third was the same fig repainted with the vehicle)
'03 - Roadblock (all new, part of regular line), Heavy Duty (also new and part of regular line)
'04 - Roadblock x3 (regular line, 2 different figs in 2 carded 6-packs of figures), Heavy Duty (regular line, and single-carded)

The Joe vs Cobra line was '02, Heavy Duty was in the regular line, but Roadblock was also released in that line in a boxed set that year, and his name is on the packaging and is trademarked. I don't think Heavy Duty was ever a replacement for the Roadblock trademarked name.

And as for age, Spirit, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Duke are all considerably older than Heavy Duty in RAH continuity.Yeah, and none of them hang out with him on the S6 show (which sucks bad), only the youthful and annoying Tunnel Rat hangs with Heavy Duty.

I just wish Hasbro would have made that their retail offering and stuck with it in that senseYou can blame that on the retailers who were getting clogged with unselling RAH product (as well as 12"ers), or you can blame it on the market losing interest causing retailers to get clogged with unselling RAH product.

Spirit Iron Knife rocks, Airbourne rocks, Grand Slam & Flash rock, Hawk can kick Dukes butt, and Roadblock is always going to be better than Heavy Duty!!!!!!What are we, 8 years old and hanging out on the schoolyard? "Superman can totally run faster than the Flash!!!" "Batman could kick Storm Shadow's butt!!!" :p

El Chuxter
11-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Batman could kick Storm Shadow's butt, but it'd be close and he'd probably die of his injuries afterwards. :)

BTW, Flash is dead. He died on Cobra Island a couple of years ago. :cry:

JediTricks
11-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Which Flash though, Wally West or Barry Allen?

I can't argue about Batman defeating Storm Shadow, but I don't think he'd die from the injuries afterwards, he's got body armor for a suit that even covers his head, plus a medically-trained butler to save his butt for those times when he does get wounded.

Oh, look what a mess I've made now! :D I'm still getting Long Range when he comes out, even though he's a nobody in the RAH line.

El Chuxter
11-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Batman may have armor, but Storm Shadow survived being gunned down by a HISS Tank at short range. That's got to count for something. :crazed:

Bacta Beast
11-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Lol!!!!lol :D Anthony S. Gambello!!! That flash!! (Man there's something wrong with me that I remember that)!!!!!:cross-eye

Dude!!!!! Dude!!!!!!! Isn't that what fanboys do?!!!!! Debate things that aren't worth arguing about in the first place!!!!

JediTricks
11-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Nobody would remember that, you had to look it up! ;) Seriously though, that Flash can't outrun Supes.

Bacta Beast
11-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Believe it or not, it was memory, swear to God!! Man I need to move out of my grandma's basement!:cross-eye
Let me see . .
Conrad J. Hauser - Duke
Clayton M. Abernathy - Hawk
Lorenzo Wilkinson? - Stalker
Shanna? O'Hara - Scarlett
Classified - Snake Eyes (but I'm pretty sure his name is Pete):D

Conrad! Who names their kid Conrad?!!!! "Hey Shanna, you wanna catch a movie?" "No thanks, I don't date guys named Conrad!":squareeye

El Chuxter
11-17-2005, 10:12 AM
I believe it's Lonzo Wilkinson. :p

from memory:
Tommy Arishikage: Storm Shadow
James Cullen Destro: Destro
Anastasia deCobray: Baroness
Owen King: Sneak Peek (?) (Someone from that wave -- he was named after Stephen King's son)
Marvin Hinton (?): Roadblock

I'm blanking on Flint and Lady Jaye, but I know their names somewhere in the back of my mind.

Also, I don't recall the combinations, but the first names of the original Dreadnoks were Tom, Dick, and Harry, and their last names were Wynken, Blynken, and Nodd. lol

JediTricks
11-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Wow, you guys are scaring me. Either that, or I owe Larry Hama a TON of apologies for not paying more attention to his filecards. :p

El Chuxter
11-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Larry Hama isn't quite God, but he is an understudy for the role. Do not forget that.

Seriously, what do you think caused my Jubilee fixation? That stupid cartoon or Hama's stint on Wolverine? :crazed:

JediTricks
11-29-2005, 08:10 PM
I just figured you had a screw loose. :D

Anyway, last night at TRU I came across the $10 Sigma 6 figures, they had a single Tunnel Rat, a single Ninja BAT, and 2 Sea Ops Duke - the cardback shows Kamakura as well, but he wasn't there, and the cardback doesn't show Long-Range so I guess he's not in this wave. These are on bubble cards like the 12" GI Joe line, the art and design is meant to look like the $15 figures with the accessory case caps, but no caps with these figs. Unfortunately, something I've begun to realize about the Sigma 6 packaging, it doesn't really show off the features particularly well, which is doubly shameful since this $10 wave doesn't come with a poster/catalog.

I didn't buy Sea Ops Duke, he wasn't the same as the last Duke, although probably the same head, and had a web vest like Snake Eyes', underwater goggles, flippers, his switchfire pistols with another attachment over one, and a little motor thing that pulled him (pretend, no actual motor). If they had made this another character instead of Duke, I would have bought it.

I bought Tunnel Rat, he's got way too long of arms, but otherwise has a reasonable small body for the job, his outfit is part orange. He's wearing a web vest similar to Snake Eyes' except with more plastic sections and the belt part doesn't hold much at all; his backpack has wheels, you can pull the bottom part down and unfold 2 control surfaces (or whatever they are) making it a sled, it has a pair of antenna lights which are non-working but can be removed and put on his harness so he can use them while laying down. Has 2 large grenades with pegs so he can put them on his outfit or belt, an oversized butterfly knife which has no peg, well-fitting goggles, an MP5-style machine gun on an elastic strap but the clip isn't removable and the stock doesn't fold and gets in the way, and he has a nifty pistol with removable clip (which is impossible to actually use this way since the thumb-notch at the back below the slide is HUGE, no way the bullet could travel past that :D). All in all, he could stand to have a few more accessories, but he's alright.

I also bought the Cobra Ninja BAT, he's very cool. He's about as tall as Duke, kinda reminds me of the Ultron figure from Toy Biz's Avengers line (lanky evil robot), he's a brownish gray but unfortunately the face and some pieces have the "plastic wasn't mixed in properly" swirl which detracts from the look a little; also, his eyes and bottom of his head are red, but the eyes would have stood out better if they had stuck with the prototype (black around the red). The figure is well-articulated in the legs and right arm, the torso just has a standard waist, and the left arm has no elbow articulation because of a gimmick but otherwise has the same articulation as the right. Both forearms have a universal-jointed claw-hand, and beneath that on the wrist is a spring-out clear red blade which is very nifty. The left forearm is actually on a string, you can pull it out a good distance - longer than the figure is tall - and then hit the button on the chest and the arm retracts, cool gimmick indeed. The figure comes with a long techno-sword (more a broadsword than a ninja sword) that has a purple hilt and translucent-red blade, the red trans plastic is used lots of places on this set, it's an odd color really, not clear enough to be "energy" but not "solid" either; also a pair of shorter swords which can connect to make 1 sword; and a 2-handled blaster rifle with curved bayonnet (too bad the blade isn't removable, it looks odd here), all the weapons have pegs so they can be put into the holes on his back, but those holes are so close together that no 2 weapons can be there at the same time. Still, a pretty good figure, he holds the rifle well and looks mean and has a nifty gimmick.

El Chuxter
12-03-2005, 03:22 AM
I just picked up Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes today at the Target sale. I'm still in awe of these two. They're easily the best figures Hasbro has released this year, and considering that they put out that awesome Royal Guard in May, that's some high praise.

They combine the cool styling of the SW Force Battlers with articulation more akin to (but not quite equal to) Marvel Legends.

I was only going to get these two, but Spirit and Heavy Duty are looking better every moment. (It would take a Cobra Commander pack-in to get me to buy that Conrad Hauser doofus. I just can't be a fan of Duke. In my book, he's always going to be the goody-two-shoes who needs a swift kick in the crotch.)

The BAT being reminiscent of Ultron sounds cool. Ultron was another favorite Marvel character of mine, though they never seemed to use him to full potential.

I've not been paying much attention to this line, and am regretting it now. What other characters are on the way? (Please say Flint and Scarlett, please say Flint and Scarlett.)

JediTricks
12-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Glad you jumped into the line and dig it. If you get Spirit, let us know what you think, I keep wondering if I should get him after all since WM and Target have 'em on sale for under $13. As for other characters coming out, there's Long Range (now a sniper) and Cobra Commander, we've already seen their photos, and Scarlett is in the show so she may appear at some point soon (although I hate her design myself, the figures have actually been superior to the show art so it might work), as for others I don't know yet.

Also, I am downgrading my opinion of Tunnel Rat, he sucks because most of his accessories aren't particularly cool, his arms go down to his knees, and his backpack sled keeps coming off.

As for the Ninja BAT, I forgot to mention a small feature, his front chest panel comes off to reveal some bronze-painted gears, it's not as cool as any RAH version of the BAT's chest though (I mean c'mon, a robot this sophisticated is run by a bunch of dopey gears?!?). It doesn't change my opinion of the figure though, he's still fairly cool.

El Chuxter
12-12-2005, 03:15 PM
I saw the BAT and Kamakura over the weekend and passed. I was really looking forward to Kamakura. A dude whose father was a former Crimson Guard and is training under Snake Eyes to be the next Arishikage Master? What's not to love? Or so I thought until I saw this neon yellow travesty.

JediTricks
12-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I saw the photos, he looks bad in yellow, I don't get how they got that color out of the previous green Kamakura figure either.

I'm gonna buy Sea Ops Duke soon, I can feel it. I am a sucker for underwater-themed figures.

Ji'dai
12-19-2005, 01:07 PM
I spotted a Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow two-pack with DVD at TRU today. They are packed in a regular cardboard box with display window; their accesories are displayed on the right side similar to the plastic "footlocker" figures.

Both figures sport repaints: Snake Eyes has white accents on his uniform and is clad in soft-goods black cargo pants. Tommy has gray painted arms instead of the normal flesh tone; his obi is black instead of the usual red.

The DVD claims to have the entire episode where this confrontation betwen the two ninjas takes place. The set retails for $19.99 - a pretty decent price for a DVD and two figures which typically retail for $15 each.

Ji'dai
12-24-2005, 12:02 PM
The local TRU had Longrange, Ninja Armor Snake Eyes, and Cobra Commander today. CC has that ridiculous rotating battle-damage chest plate action feature commonly seen on the MOTU figures.

JediTricks
12-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Wow, I am still on the lookout for Kamakura and Sea Ops Duke who dried up quickly.

El Chuxter
12-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Had I known that, I could've probably have helped you out earlier today. I saw both at Target so, uh, these are hitting Target now.

JediTricks
01-05-2006, 05:27 PM
I saw Kamakura and Sea Ops Duke last week at Target but couldn't afford 'em at the time, $11.99 is $2 more than TRU which is lame. I did end up getting Sea Ops Duke at Target last night because TRUs have dried up in my area and I wanted a new figure. He's alright, they painted his switchfire pistols better than last time. It's a fun set, probably worth the $10, but it feels like the big accessory should do 1 more thing or there should be 1 more accessory. Duke's head doesn't tilt up quite as much as it should for swimming, so you gotta have his torso tilt up too, which is probably more realistic.

Bananakura was sold out last night, I like his accessories but he's a bright yellow eyesore, nice ninja skills there idiot! You'll really hide well with a neon outfit.

El Chuxter
01-18-2006, 09:39 AM
I got Cobra Commander last week and opened him last night. He's cool, but a bit of a disappointment after Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. The articulation is more limited, the accessories aren't as cool (the staff would rock except for the gigantonormous fangs), and the "He-Man Battle Damage" chest feature sucks hard. Barring a Scarlett, Baroness, Zartan, Firefly, or Destro, he's probably my last purchase from the line. They're cool, but hella expensive.

Not sure what the deal is with the packaging, but he and the other two new figures (a re-do Snake Eyes and a new (?) character named Long Range, who looks cool but I don't recognize) are back in the $15 foot locker cases.

JediTricks
01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
There are 2 classes, the foot locker packages are the $15 figures in the "Commando assortment" who have more accessories, while the carded packages are the $10 "Soldier assortment" and have less accessories.

I still haven't gotten Kamakura yet, I hate his bright yellow colors but I could believe him as a Cobra agent and I like his accessories, so I'll get him when I see him at TRU for $10 (Target has him for $12, talk about a RIP OFF). I saw Cobra Commander and came within a hair's breadth of getting him, but ultimately passed because of the doofy huge fangs on the staff and the shield's blades not being retractable, I'll get him if I ever see him on sale. I liked CC's removable helmet, wrist blasters, and pistol storage, but really he doesn't have enough accessories to warrant being a $15, he's a $10 in oversized packaging.

Of the next waves of figures, I like both Solider asst figs, crossbow Storm Shadow with blades and no shirt, and Aero BAT which has a great weapon and I love jetpacks but hopefully those arm tanks can come off, here's photos: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HJ82310B#LargeImage

The next Commando asst is very hit-n-miss, I like Duke with the jetpack and facial growth, but I *hate* flamethrower Heavy Duty:
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HJ82261C#LargeImage

Also, I got the other figs in Cobra Commander's asst...

GI Joe Sigma 6 Long Range - kick ***! This figure rocks, he's double-cool gnarly on a stick. Trenchcoat, sniper rifle, knife, breech-loading double-barrelled sawn-off shotgun. The sniper rifle is a little oversized, and when you add the silenced or ranged barrel it becomes something you could use to take down the Hubble Telescope from the bottom of the Grand Canyon - it's larger than a 1/6th scale version! But I forgive this because it has a removable (albeit bulletless) clip and part of it actually recoils with a trigger that allows either 1 shot per pull OR all six shots at once, and you can slide on a scope and a bipod and a grenade launcher, plus the instructions confirm that it's already a sniper rifle without the extra barrels. Some kickass accessories, and the coat has 2 makeshift pockets in the inside to boot. And Long Range ain't so shabby himself, he's got a lot of character in his face and a short pony tail. I haven't found a good shooting pose yet though.

GI Joe Sigma 6 Snake Eyes Ninja Armor - the armor for his head, shoulders, and chest really change how this figure looks, essentially it's the same figure underneath as the first SE except with green paint and no harness, the armor makes him look cooler and bigger, but not really more ninja-like even though it is dark and doesn't hinder his range of motion. Other accessories include shin armor with fold out blades on the side, the tri-sword which folds up to be more of a broadsword (this looks cool), a machine gun, a spear, and a stick that can connect to the spear or sword... oh, and the air-brake jetpack which I caught on the show, 4 short winglets flip open to 2 different angles, it's cool and works nicely for something so compact. SE still has the knock-kneed lower legs which sucks, but if you angle the lower body for dynamic posing they look decent.

JediTricks
01-24-2006, 07:31 PM
GI Joe Sigma 6 Kamakura - better than I expected, very cool accessories, fig not all that much reminiscent of the previous version of the character but I never cared too much for that figure anyway. Kamakura is an average height and build in this line without the awkwardness of Snake Eyes' lower legs, his forearms and lower legs have "wrapped" sculpting, and the rest of the body is standard fare. His head is masked up to the eyes, then a metal band above the eyes and sculpted hair, the back of the band has 2 small fabric tails, it's all a good look, and changes a lot when you add the goggles. His outfit piece is a belt with a fabric loincloth and a plastic shoulder strap, the belt and strap have a lot of standard-sized pegholes, the peg on the back is a standard peg which can hold the battle-star, and there's a large loop right next to that for a bladed weapon. All this makes for a nifty hoodless-ninja look, marred by just one tiny problem: Kamakura went to the Batman-toys school of stealth, "blind your enemies with bright colors, then sneak away!" Kamakura's is painted half sigma6 black and half yellow, and it's just too loud -- actually if he were a Cobra he could get away with it, but not as much for a Joe.

Kamakura's accessories are where it's at for me, nothing too fancy except for the bolo launcher, so I'll start there. The bolo arm launcher is really a handheld weapon, it's not big enough to be a small shield really, which is too bad because that would have made sense, the bolo launcher has some tech detailing (which seems odd with an otherwise tech-less figure such as this) and fires 2 tied-together missiles at the same time (usually, anyway), the spring power is VERY strong but the string between the missiles (which each have a different head) isn't long enough to do much. The bolo launcher has 2 holes in the bottom which accomodate 2 of the 4 included small connection pegs for the other weapons. Kamakura also has his removable visor goggles which fit smartly.

The rest of the accessories are more ninjitsu, all the weapons have the fatter handles like Snake Eyes' accessories than the thinner handles of Storm Shadow's. There's a pair of silver & blue-bladed kama sycthes with a standard peg each on the side for storage and holes in the bottoms to take small connection pegs, a bo staff with connection peg-holes at each end and a tonfa-style fold-out handle (the same kind Snake Eyes' swords have), a silver & blue-bladed katana sword with a connection peg-hole in the back and a sheath very similar to Snake Eyes' but shorter and with a standard peg halfway down the side (this can peg into the back or even better the shoulder strap), a mace made up of 3 separate parts: a short handle with connection peg-holes at either end and a larger standard peg on the side, a mace-head with connection peg-hole at the bottom, and a very nice real metal chain which has a connection peg at either end. And finally, the battle-star which is a 3-bladed chest-sized throwing star that rotates into a 6-bladed version, there's a standard peg-hole at one end which is a little odd but can connect to most of the weapons as well as the peg holding together the belt/shoulder strap. All in all, a lot of cool configurations can be made with these, and there's enough connection pegs to go the distance, I like the metal chain so much I wish they had included a second one, it's the perfect size. All the accessories can be stored somewhere (except the bolo launcher which he can hold), most can use their standard pegs for the belt, shoulder strap, or leg holes, the star can be plugged onto the belt or slid into the big loop, and both the bo and star can fit nicely under the shoulder strap.

Bottom line, Kamakura is a "decent, alright" figure with a really outstanding array of weapons which can be recombined over and over into different configurations, and that's where it's at for me. Scrape the S6 logo off his chest and he's a believable badguy, can't have enough of them, I don't care for his official bio anyway so he's just whatever I want of him.

JediTricks
06-02-2006, 11:29 PM
A lot has come out since my last post, so I'll just mention the 2 newest basic carded figures I've seen at Target lately, yet another Snake Eyes and Desert Long Range. Snake Eyes has a gun that can articulate to shoot around corners, plus some night-vision gogs and a grappling hook (that might even be what the gun shoots), I totally passed. Desert Long Range has a floppy hat a la Luke, 1 six-shooter, no trench coat or sniper rifle, and a mortar-launcher that shoots a missile probably, again, easily walked on this one.

seanmcfripp
06-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Nobody's mentioned, so I will...

Firefly is out too. Actually a very cool figure, if anyone has $10 to blow. I could care less about Firefly being a reboot character in Sigma 6, so I think that allows me to enjoy the figure for what it really is. Pretty sweet accessories (except for the doofy spinning trap thing), great articulation, and a killer head sculpt all make for a really fun, nice looking toy. I still like Long Range and CC the best so far.

Call me crazy, but I'm really looking forward to Destro. That crazy blue and red jacket just does something for me.

El Chuxter
06-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Is Destro out yet? I've seen him on cardbacks, but not in person.

These are nice figures but, so far, I'm only collecting those characters that I like and that are similar to their vintage look. So thus far, Snake Eyes (I), Storm Shadow (I, though II is sweet with his tattoo), Cobra Commander, and Kamakura. (Okay, Kamakura was free at TRU with my purchase of the 3.75" Viper Lockdown set. The neon yellow is silly, but I'd rather have the younger Mr Collins than Duke.)

I want Destro pretty badly, and if they ever get around to making Baroness, Zartan, or Scarlett, I'll get them.

Maybe Sigma Six could include Billy in their lame cartoon, so we could get a figure of him.

JediTricks
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
I saw Firefly at the store, his lightsabers bothered me, and he has no real weapon, just a machine gun. I was tempted, far more so than desert Long Range or Snake Eyes around the corner gun, but $10 he didn't have enough accessories to justify my immediate purchase.

EDIT: Nicely timed Chux! :D Destro not out yet, looks like a great set though.

seanmcfripp
06-24-2006, 12:32 PM
I saw Firefly at the store, his lightsabers bothered me, and he has no real weapon, just a machine gun. I was tempted, far more so than desert Long Range or Snake Eyes around the corner gun, but $10 he didn't have enough accessories to justify my immediate purchase.

Oh come on, give in to that temptation. The lightsabers are indeed cheesy, until you read the little weapon profile form the instructions, at which point you'll realize they're called "flame sticks." Ahhh, flame sticks...not like lightsabers at all. Yeah right. Seriously though, they're not too bad. The flames actually work with the gun barrel to make a neat looking "flash" of the gun being fired.

As far as accessories, it's somewhat deceptive how the packaging shows off the toy. All the webgear is separate, as are the kneepads and elbow pads. So when you strip Firefly down to the basic figure, he actually has a pretty good accessory count.

El Chuxter
06-24-2006, 02:25 PM
I won't buy him, because Firefly is supposed to be a homicidal, ninja-trained Vietnamese master of disguise and demolitions. Not a white dude with a goatee and lightsabers.

JediTricks
06-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Aside from his outfit accessories, what does he have? 2 F lame Sticks :p, a spinning death thing, and a small machine gun that doesn't have removable parts. IMO, that's not enough, he needs more REAL accessories since every figure has outfit accessories.

BTW, I've heard that apparently Firefly's bio suggests he's going to be a turncoat.

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 02:08 AM
The real Firefly wouldn't need accessories. He could kill you with a paperclip. The guy was such a mastermind that he used an arcane form of instant hypnosis so that no one would remember his face if they saw it. Since the mind couldn't recall what was there, it registered a blur. Thus he became known as the Faceless Master of the Koga Clan, and he was even a visiting sensei to the Arashikage Clan during the training of Snake Eyes.

"True" story. ;)

Ji'dai
07-20-2006, 11:43 AM
I didn't realize Hasbro was expanding this line by introducing a new scale. I saw new 2.5" figure sets today at both K-Mart and TRU. The "Action Sets" run about $8-9 and have either all figures or a figure or two & small mini-vehicle. The "Mission Sets" run about $10-12 and have a figure and larger vehicle.

figrin bran
07-20-2006, 10:06 PM
those action sets pretty much sold out within a week at my local TRU!

JediTricks
07-21-2006, 06:33 PM
None of the first wave does anything for me, the vehicles suck and the figures are too small without good vehicles. ;) The next wave does look better though.

JetsAndHeels
07-21-2006, 07:04 PM
This is a bit off topic, but when does Sigma 6 come on now? My local station airs some other show in the 11:30 am slot on Saturday mornings now and its making me mad!! I checked the 4kids tv web site and nothing. :(

Ji'dai
08-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Spotted the 2.5" Night Ops V.A.M.P. with Snake-Eyes and Long Range, though not the Cobra Firebat. It looked like a more robust vehicle than the ones in the Mission sets.

Also saw the Major Bludd wave in the new RAH line.

Adam
08-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Well, Sigma Strike Duke broke my resolve to not buy any S6 figures. He just looked freakin cool, that I couldn't resist. The first S6 Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow have already joined him on the shelf... I NEED a Kamkura, and I don't think the upcoming one with the wings will do it for me.

JediTricks
08-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I was tempted by Sigma Strike Duke, but didn't have the extra cash to get a $20 figure I wasn't totally sure of at that time. How is he? I like his jetpack and look and weapon thing, but that doesn't say enough out-of-package.

I've been passing up a lot of this line lately, too many retreads of already-made characters, and not enough nifty accessories lately. I feel bad because I do like the line, but they're kinda strangling it.

I don't like how the 2.5" vehicles look, they're not really right for my tastes, not quite cool enough. I've seen all the sets except the cobra Firebat - I don't think it's out, even though it's on all the packaging. I saw the Nighthawk, big box and kinda pricey for the 2.5" line, but the pics don't make the toy look that good really.

Adam
08-10-2006, 11:59 PM
I think Sstrike Duke is pretty great. When comparing him to Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, his accessories seem to justify the 20 bucks. The back pack stabilizes the weight from the gun, so he's pretty stable, although the legs aren't quite tight enough so he can fall if not posed just right. The visor falls off the helmet on mine, although I hear that others don't have this problem. He only comes with one switchfire, but he doesn't really need them, not with that massive cannon with 4 different attachements!

Picked up Destro, Arctic Duke, Hi-Tech and Long Range commando's today. These things are pricey! What's with the blinking lights on the packages?

Adam
08-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Forgot to mention I saw a Paratrooper Duke at TRU. Are they nuts? The thing was $25 bucks but probably should have been in the soldier assortment.

Ji'dai
08-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Picked up Destro, Arctic Duke, Hi-Tech and Long Range commando's today. These things are pricey! What's with the blinking lights on the packages? I saw those today except for Destro. The blinking light is an odd thing to include. I noticed it's powered by 2 Double-A's in a small open-faced battery pack, which precludes the idea of keeping these figures MOC.

I saw that paratrooper Duke at TRU too, but didn't realize it was so expensive. Must be the special packaging pushing the price up.

The 2.5" Dragonhawk is out too. It is big and looks like it's based on the V-22 Osprey.

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 01:09 AM
I've seen Paratrooper Duke a couple times, mega lame and way overpriced. I've also seen the quad bike with Duke, it looks pretty lame, nowhere near as cool as the ninja hovercycles, I don't think it even has a major feature, plus another Duke figure!

I picked up "Sigma Strike" Duke yesterday, I was expecting a little better, it's a good packaged display, and for the most part a nifty execution of a gimmick, but it sucks having yet another Duke figure, the Switchfire pistol holster isn't a standard S6 plug, and it falls a bit short in some QC areas like paint quality and the visor often comes off the helmet and most importantly in joint strength - he can barely stand or hold the gun up in some poses, and the swap-out weapon comes apart sometimes. The electronics are fun but the jetpack is very large because of the batteries inside, and why a green LED instead of blue? The sounds and lights are for the most part pretty entertaining, and I like how the attachments look on the weapon even if he can barely hold it. The insert for the foot locker BARELY fits when closed. I'm leaning towards grading it: B-.

JetsAndHeels
08-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Today I picked up the set with the mini snake eyes, storm shadow, kamakura, and ninja bat figures. This one is called the nightblade mission.
Very cool little set.

Adam
08-13-2006, 08:27 PM
I've seen Paratrooper Duke a couple times, mega lame and way overpriced. I've also seen the quad bike with Duke, it looks pretty lame, nowhere near as cool as the ninja hovercycles, I don't think it even has a major feature, plus another Duke figure!

I picked up "Sigma Strike" Duke yesterday, I was expecting a little better, it's a good packaged display, and for the most part a nifty execution of a gimmick, but it sucks having yet another Duke figure, the Switchfire pistol holster isn't a standard S6 plug, and it falls a bit short in some QC areas like paint quality and the visor often comes off the helmet and most importantly in joint strength - he can barely stand or hold the gun up in some poses, and the swap-out weapon comes apart sometimes. The electronics are fun but the jetpack is very large because of the batteries inside, and why a green LED instead of blue? The sounds and lights are for the most part pretty entertaining, and I like how the attachments look on the weapon even if he can barely hold it. The insert for the foot locker BARELY fits when closed. I'm leaning towards grading it: B-.

I'm leaning towards glueing the visor to the helmet and just leaving the helmet on, you can't really tell that its Duke with it on. :razz:

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I kinda like how the helmet looks without the visor, he seems like a different character.

Adam
08-14-2006, 12:18 AM
I thought about that, but I think the visor is best since he's supposed to be in a powered suit with fancy gizmo's and such.

Anakin Palpatine
08-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Screw all the differant Joe lines they try to reinvent they all suck from Savage to Extreme to this new one!!! Keep on truckin' with the 3 3/4 line but don't make the same figures over and over again with new paint jobs, no neon colors and don't jump all over ninja and space only themes and get back to the way it use to be, one figure per package, many to choose from and all differant themes!!. Sorry to anyone who like the 6 line but I had to get that off of my chest.

Adam
08-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Anyways, what figures are you guys looking forward to? I'm just now discovering the stuff shown at the Joe convention and SDCC.

Zartan (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2FSigma_6%2FZartan&pic=1.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0) looks ok, but I'm not sure I like it enough to buy it. If I do pick it up, it will be for the lack of Cobra figures.

Arctic Snake Eyes (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2FSigma_6%2FZartan&pic=3.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0) I like. He's gonna lose that doofy looking hood though when I get my hands on him.

Storm Shadow w/ arm launcher (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2FSigma_6%2FZartan&pic=6.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0). I like the black face mask and the red pants, but this one is just way too much of a rehash. I might get him and consider him to be a generic Cobra ninja or something like that.

Cobra Commander (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2FSigma_6%2FZartan&pic=8.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0) has some strange accessories but I like the way he looks more then the first one, and my Cobra's need a leader! Will get.

Tunnel Rat w/ Demo Gear (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2FSigma_6&pic=TR1.jpg&dispsize=800&start=30). I don't like his accessories, so I will pass.

Tracker Spirit Iron Knife (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2FSigma_6&pic=x01.jpg&dispsize=800&start=30). I dig the cross bow, so I might get this one.

Kamakura with wings (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2FSigma_6&pic=x06.jpg&dispsize=800&start=30). I changed my mind about this one. I like the weapons he comes with, so I'll probably get him. Still want the first one though.

Lt. Stone (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=2006_GIJoe_Convention%2FDay_2_Hasbro%2F8_Inc h_Sigma_6&pic=IMG_0626.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0) looks interesting, but whats with the Zartan peices he comes with? What's his story?

Snake Eyes w/ Copter thingy (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=2006_GIJoe_Convention%2FDay_2_Hasbro%2F8_Inc h_Sigma_6&pic=IMG_0643.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0). I'm not sure what to make of this.

Grandslam (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=2006_GIJoe_Convention%2FDay_2_Hasbro%2F8_Inc h_Sigma_6&pic=IMG_0783.jpg&dispsize=800&start=30) looks like it could be good, but I need to see more pics.

SHIPWRECK! (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=2006_GIJoe_Convention%2FDay_2_Hasbro%2F8_Inc h_Sigma_6&pic=IMG_1170.jpg&dispsize=800&start=75) He is awesome, and will be mine.

Firefly (Cobra) (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=2006_GIJoe_Convention%2FDay_2_Hasbro%2F8_Inc h_Sigma_6&pic=IMG_1175.jpg&dispsize=800&start=75) looks good, I dig the flame claw things.

Night Ops Duke (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=2006_GIJoe_Convention%2FDay_2_Hasbro%2F8_Inc h_Sigma_6&pic=IMG_1208.jpg&dispsize=800&start=90). Don't like the gun. Will most likely pass.

Storm Shadow w/ Spinning blade backpack thingy (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=2006_GIJoe_Convention%2FDay_2_Hasbro%2F8_Inc h_Sigma_6&pic=IMG_1220.jpg&dispsize=800&start=105) Like that copter snake eyes, I don't know what to make of this.

BTW - Any one know if Kamakura is still shipping? My store got in the wave one commando's again, so that gives me hope that I won't have to order it online, but I haven't seen any older soldiers yet.

JediTricks
08-16-2006, 05:30 PM
First off, my theory about the 2.5" Firebat is shot to hell as I saw 2 of 'em last night at TRU, it's another $15 set like the VAMP. I was slightly tempted but the bulk of the toy is a big jet engine that detaches and shoots 4 traffic cones - lame! Oh, and they had Paratrooper Duke there, $30 not $25, are they out of their MINDS?!?

Second, I haven't seen regular Kamakura in a while now, he's not on any current or upcoming case assortments from EE, so you may be out of luck.

Third, with Sigma Strike Duke, which handles on the weapon do you have him use? It has the grip in the rear, the closer right side handle, the further left side handle, and the underside grip which is a bit too big. I find I want to use the rear grip but nothing really works with it well, so I use the 2 side handles so the gun fits under his right arm.

Onto the new figs rundown...

AF.com has carded pics of those first 5 figures: http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=20&p2_articleid=505

Zartan looks kinda "meh", I'm not digging his look and only half his accessories seem any good, this is a likely "pass".

Arctic Snake Eyes holds no interest for me at all, too much white and not enough cool accessories, plus no foot-locker-insert. Pass.

Storm Shadow Arm Launcher looks awful, mixmatched from the last 2 SS figures plus accessories from everywhere, not a new addition to be found, super mega pass!

black Cobra Commander looks dreadful to me, the colors suck, the new helmet doesn't work for me at all, and I hate the accessories. Ultra pass!

Tunnel Rat 2 - I hate this figures first version and it had better accessories, I don't care if he comes with a weird jar of "compound", so no thanks.

Tracker Spirit does nothing for me and the accessories don't bring enough to the party to warrant a purchase, although that crossbow does look cool.

Flying Kamakura - I'm a sucker for pop-out wings and dig ninjas, his accessories look cool and the wings have hidden blades too, so even though I still hate his bright yellow color, there's a 50/50 chance I'll get this.

Lt Stone looks very cool, I like cyber-arms like that, he seems to have a disguise thing - way to spin the Zartan issue. I'll likely get this one.

Copter Snake Eyes - as much as I like wings, I hate cheese copter-packs, they never look convincing and this isn't looking different. If the gun looks better and the backpack has something interesting I can't see yet, very slight maybe.

Grand Slam - even though he comes with a RCP90, I am wary of oversized launcher guns lately, and he doesn't look different enough from Duke to tempt a purchase out of me. Maybe if the big launcher does something interesting.

Shipwreck looks pretty cool except his head ends too early at the top, I hope he has another accessory because he seems like he needs one. Still, a likely purchase.

Firefly - glad I didn't waste my time with the Joe version, this looks way better, I'll likely get him.

Night Ops Duke - ugh, another Duke with another big lame accessory, this one most likely has the barrels reciprocate, it's waaaay too big and there's nothing really tempting me in that pic.

Storm Shadow w/ backpack looks like the backpack does something uninteresting and takes up most of the space that would normally be his accessories. Likely pass.

Adam
08-16-2006, 08:43 PM
I use the two side handles and under the arm like you described.

Picked up the first Duke, Heavy Duty and Iron-Knife today.

El Chuxter
08-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I saw Destro yesterday. He sucks. I saved $15. Thank you, Hasbro.

JetsAndHeels
08-16-2006, 11:02 PM
I like Zartan, Arctic Snake eyes, cobra commander, shipwreck, and kamukara with the wings. Ill pass on the rest.

JediTricks
08-17-2006, 02:22 PM
This is kinda important regarding Sigma Strike Duke, last night I went to mess with his electronic features and they were dead, apparently when I put him down the night before the switch got knocked from "off" to "on" and even though it wasn't doing anything it drained the batteries completely. When batteries are drained that deep, their cells rupture and their electrolyte seeps out. On mine, these extra-cheap crappy batteries had some of their electrolytes drain out into the battery compartment, no corrosion had yet happened because of the short amount of time since it happened, but a clear liquid covered the batteries and was all over the compartment, this was likely potassium hydroxide (a kind of lye) which is a base rather than an acid and probably not enough to hurt you unless it gets in your eyes or something like that, but still be careful.

I strongly encourage you guys to take the batteries out of this figure's backpack and replace them with a higher-quality brand that won't leak as quickly.

Adam
08-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up JT.

Ji'dai
08-19-2006, 05:36 PM
I finally saw Destro today. That's quite some bling around his neck, yo?

JediTricks
08-21-2006, 05:57 PM
All I've seen of the dlx 8" figs is Jungle Snake Eyes and Arctic Duke, both with that silly LED in the box which is not part of the actual toy. Both figures look pretty lame due to some "meh" accessories.

Adam
08-21-2006, 07:37 PM
I dunno, I don't find Arctic Duke's stuff to be lame at all.

The Target I work at is having a sale on Sigma Six this week. Seems the larger scale stuff is 10% off, while the 2.5 is either 15 or 20 % off.

Adam
08-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I missed these when I was looking for upcoming figures..

Wetsuit (http://photos.superherotimes.com/showphoto.php?photo=12830)

Can't really see much with him lying down like that so I'll have to see better pics.

Invisible Camo Hi-Tech (http://photos.superherotimes.com/showphoto.php?photo=12826&cat=1387)

I think I'll stick with this first one..

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 06:54 PM
I dunno, I don't find Arctic Duke's stuff to be lame at all.My problem is really just the missile launcher, it's humungous, and the fact that it's yet another Duke.

The Target I work at is having a sale on Sigma Six this week. Seems the larger scale stuff is 10% off, while the 2.5 is either 15 or 20 % off.Yeah, I saw the Target sale, good prices except on the $15 vehicles, Target is charging more than TRU even on sale price, regular price at TRU is $14.99 and Target is $16.99.

Wetsuit, hard to make out what's going on, doesn't grab me at this point.

Invisible Camo Hi-Tech... yikes, that is a crazy mishmash!

Adam
08-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Prices at Target have been weird. I went to one a few miles away this weekend and they had the soldiers for 11.99 like you have mentioned, while my store has them regular price at 9.99.

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I hit a dozen Targets between Friday and Saturday, most of them had the basics for $11.99 instead of $9.99, that's so weird.

Adam
08-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Picked up the remaining Soldier figures on sale that I'd been eyeing. That would be Sea Ops Duke, Tunnel Rat, and Long Range. Also got the 2.5 inch "Mantis Mech", and I dig. At full height its taller then the regular Sigma Six figures. I'm looking at the Dragonhawk, and the upcoming Devastator mech as well..

JediTricks
08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Lt. Stone loose and packaged hi-rez photos:

http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=20&p2_articleid=539

Yes, that is a sniper rifle that fires a capture net. :p Other than that little charming oddity, and the fact that it's kind of hard to be the master of disguise when you have 1 crazy robot arm, this is a pretty cool-looking set. I really wish Hasbro would make slots for more of these accessories in the foot locker inserts, the handcuffs should have gone in there. His face and build are a little tough to get used to. Still, all in all he looks like a nifty set.

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 09:18 PM
GI Joe Sigma 6 Firebat Jet (2.5" line) - I really wasn't interested in these 2.5" figure lines, the figures seemed too preposed or static and only a couple of the vehicles held my attention at all. But, the Firebat had been on my mind since I first saw it (even though I didn't like some of what the box was showing), and I finally caved and tracked it down yesterday. I love the old Kenner MASK line, this reminds me of that in the scale except without transformation, the pilot figure is right around that size even. The pilot is ok, could use a little more detail and the arms and head could stay on better, but he is decent and has articulation at hips, shoulders, neck, and rotating right forearm, I just wish they had given him a codename or something, but he's just a generic pilot; the other included figure is a Sky BAT flying out of a red whoosh (box shows translucent whoosh, actual toy is totally opaque), he's articulated at the neck and both shoulders, though the right one is also permanently attached to the whoosh so the joint is useless, I don't care for this thing at all. The figures are a good size for the jet's scale, it makes it seem appropriately big when a 4" figure would have made the jet feel small.

The vehicle is better than I expected but not without its flaws. First off, this is one of the few toys out there where you pay $15 and you actually get a $15-sized toy! It has Cobra-aesthetic, it has a hunched curve to the overall shape, and it's a bit sinister-looking with its wide body, jagged spine and tail, and thinner midsection with a slight nod to a cobra snake's-hood. I like it from almost every angle except the side, the curve and thin midsection make it seem a little too odd and fat in the other areas; but it looks nifty from the top, bottom, front and back. The name "Firebat" is an odd choice, the original Cobra Firebat was a tiny fold-up jet that came with the Cobra Terrordome (it took off vertically from the center of the playset), there wasn't much to it, this new Firebat toy is off-black with some dark-red accents, and has its cockpit removable from the rest of the jet which is the tiniest bit similar to the original Firebat, but only if you squint and hope; the overall toy is more similar in design concept to the Cobra Condor in that the front end separates from the back, but that thing was white and isn't a very scary name so this is ok I guess. No stickers with this set, everything's painted on, they did an ok job, could have used a little more here and there but generally decent. The sculpted detail is good but could use a little more in a few places too. The plane is solid even though it's actually 3 separate pieces - the main body, the cockpit miniplane, and the giant engine/missile launcher underneath. The shape has wide stealth styling with the tail, futuristic paneled thrust nozzles (the feature that finally sold me on the set), very large wide-mouthed intakes on the side - the engines are probably the biggest things on here, moreso than necessary really since they house the rotating VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) engine but there's plenty of room below it, I don't like how the intakes show this area either, not interesting interior so it comes off hollow. I like how the underside of the engines have half-open vents sculpted into them, there are also smaller vents on the "snake hood" and the big rear opening panel. The nose of the jet has an intake portrusion sculpted onto the right side, I'm glad they hollowed (normally they wouldn't bother), I believe this would be the machine gun/laser weapon.

The Firebat has 3 fold-down landing legs which they did a nice job with, the front one even has a panel attached that seals up the underside, the rear ones have no built-on doors but when folded away they reveal winglets. The cockpit minijet slides off 2 rails built into the hood midsection, has 2 downward-sloping wings that are canards for the total jet, the majority of the upper side is the canopy hatch which hinges forward - I would have liked to see the translucent red canopy windows be clearer. Inside is a single cockpit chair and a few sculpted details including tech stuff behind the chair, a swiveling control stick between the pilot's legs, and even pedals under the "dashboard"; the chair is painted crimson and the tech stuff silver, the rest is unpainted. I wish they had included a simple seatbelt for the figure, he fits ok but the only thing holding him in place is his right hand holding the control stick and it's not enough. There's a larger red panel on the rear half of the plane between the engines, this hinges up like opening a car's hood and underneath is the middle of the missile-launching big jet, the ground, and some silver engine details on either side. The main wings connect to a pod in the middle of each engine, rotate the wings 180 and the pod goes from a smooth surface to an odd bladed VTOL intake, it's a nifty gimmick and it brings up an issue about the wings - the box disagrees with the instructions about which flight mode gets the forward-swept wings, the box photos show the VTOL does and the regular flight gets the normal wings while the instructions reverse that - I argue that the instructions are correct because forward-swept wings are superior to regular wings at near-mach speeds, so it wouldn't make sense to relegate them to the low speed mode.

The jet comes with 4 red missiles, rounded tips and 3 tails, which can be pegged in a few locations, there are rail-type shapes under the cockpit with 3 holes each, there's a hole under each canard wing, there's a hole under both tiny wings of the big thruster/missile launcher, and there's 2 holes at the top of the plane between the tails which can only accomodate the missiles if they're facing backwards - my guess is Hasbro intends for other Cobra sets to have accessories with identical pegs which can be attached here since in this set there are more mounting options than accessories. The final feature is the "multi missile launcher" which is a very large dark silver jet engine type shape complete with exhaust nozzle and conical intake, it pegs into the underside of the main body of the jet and kinda looks out of place there. The launcher has 4 long, narrow traffic-cone-type red missiles, although the box says it can take all 4 the instructions and toy prove it can only take up to 2 at a time, and loading the second cone can require a lot of force; the launcher's gimmick is that there's an off-set handle sticking out the top rear, flip it to the other side and it gamely launches the first cone, flip the handle back and the second cone also fires, it's my least-favorite element of the jet, so I'm glad it's removable, think of it as a long-range booster engine that can be dropped and turn into a drone or huge bomb so its only real flaw is that its handle sits off-center between the tails.

All in all, I like this set more than I thought I would, it's a nifty vehicle with a removable pilot and some cool features, it's big enough to warrant the price and has a reasonable colorscheme. Grade: (a perhaps slightly-generous) A-

Adam
09-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I forgot to mention I bought the Dragonhawk. It's pretty neat.

I sure wish the new soldier wave would get here faster.

JediTricks
09-12-2006, 03:53 PM
I've been gunshy on the Dragonhawk, it looked large and not that much fun so I haven't been tempted. Care to share more opinions about it, maybe change my mind?

I still haven't seen 8" Destro or Hi-Tech yet, hopefully I run into them soon.

I was looking through YoJoe's SDCC06 coverage of S6 Mission Scale upcoming items, supposedly due out this month no less, and one of them really caught my eye, the mission name is "Razor's Edge": http://photos.superherotimes.com/showphoto.php?photo=10581&cat=1239

Official Hasbro photo: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/HAS11893.jpg

Also, the Rhino Copter (stupid name) is another $10 set that looks pretty decent: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS11896&mode=retail&picture=out

And the Devastator Mech looks very neat:
http://s6c.joebattlelines.com/graphics/devastator_25.jpg

My latest GI Joe S6 Mission Scale hauls:

GI Joe Sigma 6 Dune Runner (2.5") - I liked this set more than I thought I would, the vehicle is decent and the figure while tiny has actual universal-jointed shoulders, it's amazing! This line seems to be more about removable/swappable parts than I realized, pretty much everything is of 2 standard peg sizes (though the machine guns are very loose in other sets), this also means there's pieces that don't quite fit in some places but fit well in others due to reasons like handles none of the figures can reach anyway. The rear gunner seat works better than I thought but I wish they had added a smaller peg hole for it so the machine gun could be mounted there. The vehicle has a pull-back motor which is kinda weak, and removable armor panels (more would have been better), and it's a good scale - not too big or small. I would have liked to see a simple seatbelt here, the figure can barely reach the steering wheel which is the only thing holding him in place, he rattles around a lot. It also comes with a drop cage accessory, again I liked this more than I expected (which I expected to be not at all), I don't have or want the Dragonhawk that the cage is held by, but no matter, make-believe does the job and it holds the dune runner nicely in place until you drop the sides. Another nifty feature, turn the cage on its end and it becomes a battle emplacement with several small mounting holes (including one in the middle so a figure can man it, very clever) and 2 larger ones. All in all, another set in this line worth the price ($10). Grade: B+

GI Joe Sigma 6 Mantis Mech (2.5") - More multi-configurable stuff, in fact this mech is just a cockpit and all the arms and legs are totally swappable. Destro is very large compared to the other figures, he'd have to be 7' easy, but he fits well in the cockpit. I wish I liked this set more, it's got enough parts to fit its $10 pricepoint but they're all very similar limb pieces, not exciting enough, the claw feet and hands aren't as cool as they should be, and there's only 1 weapon - the twin missile launcher. My favorite parts are the small tank treads really, not a good sign. The paint is lackluster and ugly and cheap-looking. Another problem is the hex-holes are not drilled straight so limbs don't line up with each other - I hate that! The worst offender in the set though is that it can stand very tall, but is so wobbly it's not really in the same ballpark as the other vehicles so far. It's alright, maybe even likeable in some ways (I can't not like mechs), but I can't gush over it. Grade: C

GI Joe Sigma 6 Night Ops VAMP (2.5") - First off, let me say as much as I loved GI Joe:RAH for its vehicles, the VAMP was never among my favorites, I liked the sleek jeep shape but it wasn't quite exciting or armed enough for my tastes. This new VAMP is a little bulkier, and better armed and armored. It comes with 2 figures, Long Range and Snake Eyes - SE is a washout, he's permanently looking upwards and he's pretty small and his left arm is super-bent and he's got a gun sculpted into his right hand, so he's not driving or controlling anything here. The vehicle deco is very plain and does have stickers to help it, but I don't like the design on most of them so I left it plain in its cool dark gray with green accents. The vehicle rolls free and has good ground clearance; the tires are rubber and the wheels plastic, they sculpted disk brakes in the hub but they are part of the wheels so they don't stay stationary. The central theme is the adding and swapping of parts - from rollbars to weapons, even a removable gunner seat in the bed - as well as a real working green searchlight (a bit oversized to accomodate batteries, but not in the ridiculous), and there's also the opening doors and tailgate. The interior is too spartan for my tastes and the steering wheel is too big, the steering wheel keeps Long Range in place but the other seat has no belt so the figure rattles around like crazy; the top has 2 open slots but I guess the guys need air; I like the low-angle windshield and the fold-down window armor (which is probably what sold me on the set). A working winch can be added to the underside, it's a big piece but most of the bulk ends up hidden, it's one of the few toy winches that has a powerful pull and long enough line to really work. The set comes with 2 antennaes, a single rocket launcher, a 6-missile launcher, the searchlight with machine gun on a multi-hinged arm so it can raise up, and a foldable tripod - the weapons can fit into the holes in the truck bed, the gunner seat that snaps into the truck bed, the tripod, or any other large hex-hole on the other sets. The 6-missile launcher looks good in the bed by itself if you don't mind shooting up instead of straight ahead, the searchlight looks ok in the bed by itself and better on top of the gunner seat, the rocket launcher looks good snapped into the side of the searchlight, and all 3 work well with the tripod. My biggest issues are that the vehicle itself could use more sculpted details and a back window, it's decent and works in its $15 pricepoint but it's not as exciting there as the Firebat. Grade: B

JediTricks
09-13-2006, 08:40 PM
I realized last night that I have only 14 or so figures in this line but 4 of 'em are Duke! That sucks!

Spotted the below get with 2 Arctic Dukes at Target yesterday, no Destro yet.

GI Joe Sigma 6 Hi-Tech - An ok set with a few flaws such as the goggles don't fit right (he can't actually see through them when worn), the body is very very thin, the shorts look ridiculous and block the thigh-holes, no foam insert for the weapons locker, and the missile-launcher & 3 missiles (it can only hold 1) is really there to convince you it's not a $10 set when it really is. HiTech's headsculpt looks good, but his neck and shoulders are a little limited in upward movement (the shoulders can be worked around at least). The set comes with the HOUND sentry which goes from backpack to robo-dog with blaster on top of his head (HOUND's blaster can accomodate the missile launcher), movable stubby legs and opening internal compartment. HiTech has a blaster pistol, data cable, machine gun attachment, and missile-launcher attachment - the machine gun goes over the pistol, the missile launcher goes over the machine gun, and the data cable has a standard-sized hole at 1 end and a peg at the other so it can go in the gun in several places and the left arm has 2 pegs as well as the standard holes. All in all, an ok set that either needs 1 more accessory to bring it worthy of the $15 pricetag or 1 less accessory and lower it to $10. Grade: B

Adam
09-15-2006, 09:04 PM
The goggles on my High-Tech seem ok. *shrug*

As for the Dragonhawk, its main feature is of course the docking system. It comes with a ninja cycle (w/Snake Eyes) and a crate. When dropped from the ship, the crate pops open and after a second the cycle shots out. It was neat enough that I had a great urge to buy more vehicles to dock with the thing, but when I went to get the VAMP, it didn't grab me like had previously so I put it back. I'm waiting for the Devestator, or a tank if they ever make one. The sides of the 'hawk have have 2 port holes on each side. It only comes with two cannons to use here, and iirc the the box or instructions say its combatible with the other vehicles weapons. If you are going to be buying a lot of the vehicles from this line, I think its worth picking up.

JediTricks
09-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi-Tech's goggles are designed so they fit his head well, but he can't see out of them, they line up with his eyebrows instead of his eyes, you can see it in this first YoJoe photo: http://www.yojoe.com/sigma6/toys/2006/hitech/action.shtml

Thanks for the info on the Dragonhawk. I think I'm gonna remain passing on it for now, if its price comes down I may rethink that but at the moment not so much. I like the drop system on the Dune Runner (Mission: Heat Wave), may want to check that one out. The drop system on the VAMP is kinda an afterthought, but it looks like the VAMP fits well under the Dragonhawk. That's one thing I'm a little concerned about, if they try to make all the vehicles fit in the drop bay of the Dragonhawk they're going to be fairly small.

Um... what Devastator? The only Joe Devastator I know of is a little tiny robot vehicle.

Adam
09-16-2006, 06:47 PM
The Devestator that you linked a couple of posts up, and even called it Devestator Mech. :razz:

JediTricks
09-17-2006, 02:21 AM
Aw crap!!! Stuff enters my eyes and within 15 minutes flies out of my ears. Yeah, that's gonna be super badass with the Dragonhawk, it has that slick drop cage, it's going to be so cool dropping it, having the hatch pop up, and walking the mech out. Between the Dragonhawk and the Devastator you'll have quite the Aliens homagery- dropship and powerloader. :D

I spotted Kamakura with ninja wings and Spirit IK at WM today, but passed on 'em. Kamakura's cardback is blue, it's very different from the others. I am not totally sure why I passed him up, I have a thing for pop-out wings and he's got 'em, but I think the yellow isn't very ninja and his weapons weren't quite doing it for me. I may change my mind when I see him again though.

JediTricks
10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Finally found Destro at Target and bought him. The figure is pretty cool, I'm afraid my acidy skin will ruin the chrome head though. His head is clean chrome in the middle and then painted slightly darker on the outer panels which is odd but makes for good shading and character. He's sporting mega-bling with a fat red chrome Cobra medallion around his neck. His jacket is bolero-length and padded, with mock-buttons down the front (it uses velcro), very '80s. ;) His main weapon I don't care for, it doesn't have a true handle and doesn't fit over his shoulder well, if it had a flip-down handle I would have loved it too, especially since all its gear fits in the foam insert so the weapons locker is fully-contained. His secondary accessory is a briefcase with slide-up machine gun, that is so cool! The briefcase has a laptop keyboard and sticker screen (with the Firebat details) on the bottom side, and the other side has stickers of a $1000 bill and a 1000-Euro bill done so they look like 6 stacks of money. The gun slides up when its closed as if Destro dropped the case and it revealed itself to be a hidden weapon, I only wish the gun would stay fully slid-up but there are no clips to hold it all the way in place. The gun slides off its rails and becomes a nifty Uzi-like machine gun with slide-out stock, Destro holds it very nicely. It's a good set, I only wish they had included 1 more accessory like a knife or tool kit or something.

Dominic Guglieme
10-15-2006, 03:28 PM
So, am I the only one reading America's Elite now? Whadya all think of it?

El Chuxter
10-15-2006, 08:55 PM
I want to read it, but I cannot convince the owner of the otherwise hella cool store I frequent to carry it. I figure I'll catch up in trade paperbacks several months late.

BountyHunterScum
10-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Finally found Destro at Target and bought him. The figure is pretty cool, I'm afraid my acidy skin will ruin the chrome head though. His head is clean chrome in the middle and then painted slightly darker on the outer panels which is odd but makes for good shading and character. He's sporting mega-bling with a fat red chrome Cobra medallion around his neck. His jacket is bolero-length and padded, with mock-buttons down the front (it uses velcro), very '80s. ;) His main weapon I don't care for, it doesn't have a true handle and doesn't fit over his shoulder well, if it had a flip-down handle I would have loved it too, especially since all its gear fits in the foam insert so the weapons locker is fully-contained. His secondary accessory is a briefcase with slide-up machine gun, that is so cool! The briefcase has a laptop keyboard and sticker screen (with the Firebat details) on the bottom side, and the other side has stickers of a $1000 bill and a 1000-Euro bill done so they look like 6 stacks of money. The gun slides up when its closed as if Destro dropped the case and it revealed itself to be a hidden weapon, I only wish the gun would stay fully slid-up but there are no clips to hold it all the way in place. The gun slides off its rails and becomes a nifty Uzi-like machine gun with slide-out stock, Destro holds it very nicely. It's a good set, I only wish they had included 1 more accessory like a knife or tool kit or something.

I have Destro too found him a few weeks ago. Now I need the new black cobra commander, stone, maybe firefly, jungle snake eyes, new storm shadow with red pants. Hopefully they make Scarlet and Jinx at some point. I don't buy them all I'm picky, I've done the whole set thing before in general it was a waste of money getting figs I didn't want.

Tenric78
10-16-2006, 06:24 PM
I spotted Kamakura with ninja wings and Spirit IK at WM today, but passed on 'em. Kamakura's cardback is blue, it's very different from the others. I am not totally sure why I passed him up, I have a thing for pop-out wings and he's got 'em, but I think the yellow isn't very ninja and his weapons weren't quite doing it for me. I may change my mind when I see him again though.

My buddy looked at the wings and said, "That's a big target." How true, imagine trying to be all stealth like and floating as a giant yellow butterfly. Reminds me of the Venture Bros.

JediTricks
10-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I saw him again the other day at Target and once again passed. Heh heh, it does remind one of the Monarch's henchmen's wings - those are more valuable now thanks to the season finale though. ;)

Dominic Guglieme
10-17-2006, 07:35 PM
I want to read it, but I cannot convince the owner of the otherwise hella cool store I frequent to carry it. I figure I'll catch up in trade paperbacks several months late.

Hasn't this bozo ever heard of in-store subscribers? I mean, yee gods, you are offering him a guaranteed sale, if he would only stock the damned merchandise..........:rolleyes:

Dominic Guglieme
10-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Grabbed S6 Firefly this morning. I have not yet opened it. Basically, as bad as the cartoon is, this morning's episode (that I caught by accident no less) pretty much inspired the purchase. (This might be the most creative name re0use ever.)

Honestly, I cannot think of the last time I purchased a toy that I normally would not have purely on the basis of context.

JediTricks
10-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Is that the Joe-aligned Firefly or the new Cobra-aligned one? I hadn't heard the Cobra one is out yet, but it is due any day now.

Dominic Guglieme
10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
I got the Joe alligned Firefly, but they are the same character. To answer your question from another board, I consider this a name re-use, in the sense that Hasbro is using an old name. But, yes, I agree this is the old characer in the sense that it is the same name, being applied consistently to a similar character, even if the context has changed from the original use. (For example, nobody would really argue that S6 is meaninfully derived from the old comics.)

Dominic Guglieme
10-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Here is the review:

Sigma 6: Firefly
Hookay. I admit it. I bought an S6 toy. Long and
short: I catch the cartoon on occasion, and there was
recently a "traitor in the midst" arc. Said traitor
was revealed to be Firefly. Here is the kicker:
Firefly has been on the shelves for the better part of
a year, and packaged as a Joe. Infiltrator and
faction-switcher characters are nothing new of course.
But, in this case, it was planned out enough that
Hasbro actually packaged a character operating under
deep-cover as a member of the team they were
infiltrating-with no spoilers on the package. This is
possibly the most creative name/character re-hash
ever. That being said, I really cannot recommend the
cartoon. It is pretty shabby.
That being said, I should probably get to reviewing
the toy. Unless Firefly has some kind of non-standard
body, (which does not seem to be the case), the
articulation is a bit better than average, but not
spectacular. (The modern Microman toys are about half
the size, and have better articulation for example.)
As many have noted, the strong point of Sigma 6 as a
line is the accessories, and Firefly delivers on that
front, with a rifle, two flares, and a mask. (The
mask has a sinister aesthetic to it.) Like most Sigma
6 toys, Firefly is plagued with hard-points. These
are spots where the accessories can plug onto the
body, similar to the back-pack holes on the old 80s
toys. While I do not mind hard-points on
Transformers, they look pretty bad here. (To ad
insult to injury, these hard-points cannot even begin
to accomodate Minicons.) Grade: B/C A mixed bag,
with most of the good being contingent on context.

JediTricks
10-25-2006, 02:55 PM
I got the Joe alligned Firefly, but they are the same character. To answer your question from another board, I consider this a name re-use, in the sense that Hasbro is using an old name. But, yes, I agree this is the old characer in the sense that it is the same name, being applied consistently to a similar character, even if the context has changed from the original use. (For example, nobody would really argue that S6 is meaninfully derived from the old comics.)Ah, but the old comics are derived from the old toys, and S6 is derived from the old toys.

Why would you want to put minicons on a S6 guy?

El Chuxter
10-25-2006, 03:18 PM

Maybe because MiniCons and Sigma Six are equally poop?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Dominic Guglieme
10-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Ah, but the old comics are derived from the old toys, and S6 is derived from the old toys.

I meant that the comics were not derived in terms of context. (Events from one do not flow from or too the other.) But, in terms of character, this is the old Firefly as much as the Sigma 6 Destro is the old Destro.

I disagree about the new toys being derived from the old ones though. The engineering and aesthetics are much different on the modern S6 figures than the way the old toys looked and worked.

As for applying Minicons....well, I really do not want to. But, if Hasbro is going to add hard-points to a Joe toy, then dang-it, there may as well be some inter-operability with other lines.

JediTricks
10-25-2006, 05:32 PM
I meant that the comics were not derived in terms of context. (Events from one do not flow from or too the other.) Hmm, I'm not sure I follow your meaning.

But, in terms of character, this is the old Firefly as much as the Sigma 6 Destro is the old Destro.

I disagree about the new toys being derived from the old ones though. The engineering and aesthetics are much different on the modern S6 figures than the way the old toys looked and worked. The characters are based on the toys, these are the same characters, thus S6 guys are based on the RAH toys even if they look and are built differently.

As for applying Minicons....well, I really do not want to. But, if Hasbro is going to add hard-points to a Joe toy, then dang-it, there may as well be some inter-operability with other lines.Hardpoints? They have powerlinx holes, not pegs. And 5mm holes would be too small for S6, the scale requires larger pegs for more stable play.

Dominic Guglieme
10-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure I follow your meaning.

The characters are based on the toys, these are the same characters, thus S6 guys are based on the RAH toys even if they look and are built differently.

Hardpoints? They have powerlinx holes, not pegs. And 5mm holes would be too small for S6, the scale requires larger pegs for more stable play.

In terms of context, I was saying that the old comics in no way flow into Sigma 6. For example, in Sigma 6, nobody will ever reference Trucial Abysmia, or the fact a number of Joes have died there. Overkill, if he shows up, is a BAT, not Robert "SAWviper" Skelton. (Quick trivial: How many Joes did he actually kill?)

I am seperating engineering from context in this case. Even if the context were the same, the engineering is so wildly different that S6 seems like a new line. (BW and G1 were more or less in context with each-other, but I can never really look at the toys as part of the same line.)

Finally, I was using "hardpoint" and plx-hole" interchangably, as the two are funtionally analagous between a larger TF and a standard S6 figure. Ideally, S6 figures would not have either. BUt, if they have to have a feature tha compromises the aesthetics, it may as well be functional enough to allow for inter-line interoperability.

El Chuxter
10-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Overkill, if he shows up, is a BAT, not Robert "SAWviper" Skelton. (Quick trivial: How many Joes did he actually kill?)

Personally?

1) Doc
2) Crankcase?
3) Breaker?

I'm not sure of who he gunned down (aside from Doc), and I'm trying to recall if he killed any others personally after giving chase.

Quick Kick and the others on that initial squad were killed in an explosion, and I can't remember off-hand if he was responsible.

Battleforce 2000 and Cool Breeze were casualties not attributed to him.

Hmm. . . . I don't recall if he actually killed any named Joes as Overkill. I hated that Devil's Due resurrected him, especially at the same time as that stupid piece of marketing ploy garbage tripe horses*** Serpentor. (In case you can't tell, I HATE Serpentor, even if Devil's Due did give him a tad of credibility. I cheered when Zartan shot him, cheered again when we learned Firefly had desecrated his corpse, and cheered yet again when Cobra Commander just killed his clone like the true b**** he was.)

JediTricks
10-28-2006, 11:15 PM
In terms of context, I was saying that the old comics in no way flow into Sigma 6. For example, in Sigma 6, nobody will ever reference Trucial Abysmia, or the fact a number of Joes have died there. Overkill, if he shows up, is a BAT, not Robert "SAWviper" Skelton. (Quick trivial: How many Joes did he actually kill?) Ok, well like I said, the comic is not the genesis of the line so it's not a prerequisite that Sigma 6 has to tie into it.

I am seperating engineering from context in this case. Even if the context were the same, the engineering is so wildly different that S6 seems like a new line. (BW and G1 were more or less in context with each-other, but I can never really look at the toys as part of the same line.) The engineering isn't THAT much different, they have nearly the same range of motion, they have holes for backpacks, it's closer than GI Joe Extreme.

Not to get too far off topic, but you don't see BW as Transformers?

Finally, I was using "hardpoint" and plx-hole" interchangably, as the two are funtionally analagous between a larger TF and a standard S6 figure. Ideally, S6 figures would not have either. BUt, if they have to have a feature tha compromises the aesthetics, it may as well be functional enough to allow for inter-line interoperability.That's hardly a universal argument, anybody who doesn't collect Transformers in the last 3 years won't have any use for it - and I suspect that's a lot of S6 fans. Plus, the sigma holes are on top of the suit, not into their flesh, and are in the same vein as the old backpack holes from the RAH line.

Dominic Guglieme
10-31-2006, 06:57 PM
First, I will answer JT's post above.

Hama, the comics writer, did design many of the old characters. And, the S6 cartoon does not flow from the comics, therefor the characters do not flow directly from the old series either.

I see BW and Transformers in terms of context. And, there are part of the line. But, aesthetically, I still cannot display Beast Era stuff with G1, as the two are just too far different in looks, as well as engineering.

The holes on the S6 figures are more jarring (especially the socket on the chest) than the old back-holes.

Personally?

1) Doc
2) Crankcase?
3) Breaker?

I'm not sure of who he gunned down (aside from Doc), and I'm trying to recall if he killed any others personally after giving chase.

Quick Kick and the others on that initial squad were killed in an explosion, and I can't remember off-hand if he was responsible.

Battleforce 2000 and Cool Breeze were casualties not attributed to him.

Hmm. . . . I don't recall if he actually killed any named Joes as Overkill. I hated that Devil's Due resurrected him, especially at the same time as that stupid piece of marketing ploy garbage tripe horses*** Serpentor. (In case you can't tell, I HATE Serpentor, even if Devil's Due did give him a tad of credibility. I cheered when Zartan shot him, cheered again when we learned Firefly had desecrated his corpse, and cheered yet again when Cobra Commander just killed his clone like the true b**** he was.)

Overkill directly killed:
Doc
Thunder
Crankcase
Heavymetal

He was on the tank that killed Crazylegs, Breaker and Quickkick. (Beaker has been injured by a copter attack, but was killed by the tank-shell.)

Overkill is generally credited for all 7.

Overkill was intelligently used in "Return of Serpentor", so I forgive the retcon and/or him coming back from the dead. What better character to use in a story with reputation as a main theme than a character known only for a reputation? Think about it, up until "RoS", Overkill did not have a name at all. He was a just, as the sourcebook put it, a "nameless SAWviper" who got lucky.

I am amazed Hama hated Serpentor as much as he says he did. Frankly, Serpentor would have been the perfect platform for Hama to use his historical and technical knowledge from. As those (and dialogue) were Hama's primary strenghts, I would think he would appreciate it.

Either way, "RoS" is one of the best GI Joe stories, ever.

I was annoyed when DDP truncated the leadership arc with Red Shadows (right when the series lost all cohesion). This new "Phoenix Guard" arc is a poor substitute, even discounting the pretense at being serious political fiction. Rather than intelligent take on leadership, we are getting a trite comic plot that reads like a bad 90s Superman comic.

JediTricks
10-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Hama, the comics writer, did design many of the old characters. And, the S6 cartoon does not flow from the comics, therefor the characters do not flow directly from the old series either. That seems a bit out there, if Larry Hama was a professional juggler who used action figures in his act as well as someone working for Hasbro, would those toys be based on juggling? Of course not. Hasbro had Hama create characters and names and bio cards for the toy line first and foremost, that is the basis of the line, the comics came second to the brand owner.

I see BW and Transformers in terms of context. And, there are part of the line. But, aesthetically, I still cannot display Beast Era stuff with G1, as the two are just too far different in looks, as well as engineering. I can't display G1 with anything because of their engineering though.

The holes on the S6 figures are more jarring (especially the socket on the chest) than the old back-holes. Really? To me it's the opposite, the holes in S6 backs don't actually dig into flesh the way they did on RAH figures.

JediTricks
11-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Picked up the Mission Scale Iron Hammer last night at Target, they also had the Cobra HISS (TRU had the HISS as well but no Iron Hammer). The IH is a decent mech, very different from Destro's Mantis Mech but still big and tough-looking. The sculpting on it has a lot of nice details, and each joint has a decent range of articulation. The detachable weapon arms are cool, and each one has a hole to hold another weapon outside of it (or you can stack all 4 weapons on the mech at once). The left side "shoulder" peg hex-hole is off-axis from the regular versions, I'm getting quite tired of this problem in these sets. There's a removable yoke to attach it to the Dragonhawk, the yoke is simple but works on a slick system. I wish they had articulated the knees, fake knee joints make JT sad. The kneeling Snake Eyes minifig is kinda dopey, but the Hi-Tech driver is fine and fits well in the cockpit. The set isn't as exciting as either of the wave 1 $15 sets, but it's alright. I'm not sure what grade I'd give it yet but at least a "B", maybe higher.

I've been noticing the wave 2 Mission Scale $7 sets lately, none of them really appeal to me, I'm waiting for the 3 wave 2 $10 vehicles which all look top notch.

seanmcfripp
11-16-2006, 04:11 PM
I scored the Wave 4 Commando figs at K-mart yesterday. Or maybe I should say I snagged Zartan and Lt. Stone. Ok, ok, I also reluctantly picked up Arctic SE for Timber.

Zartan is pretty durned sweet. I was worried that his weapons were going to be oversized and clunky, an impression left on me by online pictures. In hand though, the 'bushranger" arm-mounted machine gun is much lighter and streamlined than I expected. While not exactly practical, it does have this odd kind of Zartan/Dreadnok feel. Even the crossbow isn't as bad as I thought, and actually works pretty well. I would have preferred a nice lean, long archer's bow, but this thing does the job just fine. The hideburner thing is pretty corny though. No big loss throwing it in the footlocker case and packing it away in storage. One glaring omission though: NO FRIGGIN' DISGUISES! Jeez, how hard would that have been? Even just a mask to fit over his face and under the hood (like the '84 version) would have done the job just fine. One other quibble too: the range of articulation for the elbows is somewhat limited. Most online reviews suggest the gauntlets restrict movement, and while there's some truth to that, I'd say the problem lies in the design of the joint itself. There's just not enough "cut-away" to allow the elbow to bend all the way. "Reversing" the orientation of the forearm seems to help a bit, but not much. Either way, it's not a huge deal. The figure looks great, and is almost everything I could hope for in a S6 version of the character.

Lt. Stone is even durned-er sweeter. He's a spy (I love spies). He has duel pistols with working holsters (I love pistoleers). And he's British! What's not to love? His disguises are kinda hoaky if you're going for realism, but as a toy accessories, they're fantastic. And the best part? All the armor and masks connect together into a quasi-suitcase type configuration. An excellent design choice indeed. Why couldn't Zartan get something like this too?

And I can't forget Timber. All I can say is "Thank you, Hasbro." They could have cheaped out and just thrown a brick of dog thing in with any SE figure and called it Timber, but they didn't. They went above and beyond, giving him a great sculpt and over the top articulation. Timber is way more than a pack in; he's definitely a stand alone character. The designers' roots in Xevoz are evident with this figure, as he looks like an ancestor of the Moon Stalker from that line (just look at the tail). And yes, he looks awesome next to the original S6 SE. BTW, as much as I wanted to hate Arctic SE, he's actually kinda cool. The snowboard is a nice accessory, and his cold-weather gear is generic enough for any Joe member to wear.

Sorry to all the 3 3/4 inch purists out there...S6 is a great toyline. Can't wait for Grand Slam, Shipwreck, Wet-Suit, and the Cobra version of Firefly. I'm also looking forward to the new double jointed articulation improvements.

JediTricks
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a cool get! I'm looking forward to Lt Stone, not sure about Zartan at this point, definitely passing on arctic SE.

I hadn't heard about double-jointed articulation coming up, what's the deal?

seanmcfripp
11-16-2006, 08:14 PM
...definitely passing on arctic SE.
Collecting these things at one version of every character makes things quite manageable. I have the first version of Duke, and that's all I'll ever need. Jet packs, underwater gear, big honkin' BFGs...I'll wait for the big H to recycle those cool accessories with future figures. But the Timber figure is too cool to pass up. He's got universal joints at the ankles, "knees," neck, and tail. There are also cut joints at the hips, with really nice hinge joints at the jaw and mid point of his torso. He does everything a wolf action figure is supposed to do, and how often can you say that about a toy wolf? I know, I know, $15 is a rip, but if you have to cave in and buy only one of these pointless rehashes of the main characters, this is the one to get.

Not sure if you know, but there's going to be a running change as production goes on. The first version of Timber is gray with dark accents on the paws, which is what I have. My understanding is that there will be black version, then a white version as well. Some Joe crazies are talking about army building Timbers, if you can believe that.

I hadn't heard about double-jointed articulation coming up, what's the deal?

Head over to TNI:

http://www.americandreamcomics.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=10446

SE and SS will have "double" joints at the elbows and knees ala Marvel Legends. Some people swear the ankles have more range of motion as well, but I think it's too hard to tell from those pictures. The knees and elbows are a nice improvement in my opinion, especially for characters like SE and SS that require dynamic posing. I also like that it's been done subtly so figures with the new joints will fit in stylistically with the rest of the line.

Dominic Guglieme
11-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Comics:
GI Joe: Zartan Declassified
-This one is a mixed bag. It has flashes of Blaylock's full talent, and a whole lot of fan-wankery that would be forgiveable were the franchise just starting up again, rather than shambling along after several more or less healthy years. If this issue, and previous "Secret Origins" style "Declassified" offerings are anything to go by, this seris will be filling in the blanks with dead weight. The worst thing is that I know Blaylock can do much better, and he has.
Grade: C/D Do not bother.
GI Joe: America's Elite 17
Not much going on here. Hookay, I was wrong about the some of the Phoenix Guard. The true identities of the Guard are:
Highttide/Copperhead
Halo/Wildweasel
Snakeeater/Firefly
Friday/Zarana
Mech/Scrapiron
Aside from the big reveal, nothing much else to note in this issue.
Grade: C Pick it up if you are normally reading it. But, if this arc has not drawn you in, this specific issue likely will not either.

Star Wars: Dark Times 1
Better than one might reasonably expect. But, after the debacle that was Quinlan Vos's arc (specifically the ending), fans would be justified in being wary. In any case, this arc flows out of a tail-ender arc from the old Republic series. Provided the heroes do not do much more than scrape by each issue (and even than, not for too long), this series will be worth picking up, if only to fill out a haul. (
Grade: B Wariness of the franchise aside, this series has not done anything objectively wrong, but has done a few things right so far.

JediTricks
11-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Collecting these things at one version of every character makes things quite manageable. I have the first version of Duke, and that's all I'll ever need. Jet packs, underwater gear, big honkin' BFGs...I'll wait for the big H to recycle those cool accessories with future figures.I know what you mean, but I've been suckered into buying a second SE (Jetpack version) and 3 more friggin' Dukes - Jet Wings, Sea Ops, and the big electronic one that leaked its batteries on me. I couldn't help it, I wanted those accessories and Hasbro is slow on releasing these things (Jet Wings was a huge mistake, avoid like the plague).

But the Timber figure is too cool to pass up. He's got universal joints at the ankles, "knees," neck, and tail. There are also cut joints at the hips, with really nice hinge joints at the jaw and mid point of his torso. He does everything a wolf action figure is supposed to do, and how often can you say that about a toy wolf? I know, I know, $15 is a rip, but if you have to cave in and buy only one of these pointless rehashes of the main characters, this is the one to get.Unless you don't care about the wolf, like me. :D

Not sure if you know, but there's going to be a running change as production goes on. The first version of Timber is gray with dark accents on the paws, which is what I have. My understanding is that there will be black version, then a white version as well. Some Joe crazies are talking about army building Timbers, if you can believe that.That is madness!!!

Head over to TNI:

SE and SS will have "double" joints at the elbows and knees ala Marvel Legends. Some people swear the ankles have more range of motion as well, but I think it's too hard to tell from those pictures. The knees and elbows are a nice improvement in my opinion, especially for characters like SE and SS that require dynamic posing. I also like that it's been done subtly so figures with the new joints will fit in stylistically with the rest of the line.Aw damn that's cool! They did rejigger the ankles, you can see they're changed, but you're right, there's no guarantee they'll be able to move any differently than the current designs (which are decent usually). I'll definitely be buying SE and probably SS as well, ninjas have to be very limber damnit! ;) Plus, the current SE body's knees are the thing that bother me the most, makes his legs look weird.

El Chuxter
11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Why bother with even one version of Duke? His full name is Conrad Isuckmorethananyothercharacterevenfreaking-crystalballandgolobulus Hauser.

BountyHunterScum
11-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Why bother with even one version of Duke? His full name is Conrad Isuckmorethananyothercharacterevenfreaking-crystalballandgolobulus Hauser.

Is not, it's Johnny P Buttcheek.

JediTricks
11-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Why bother with even one version of Duke? His full name is Conrad Isuckmorethananyothercharacterevenfreaking-crystalballandgolobulus Hauser.The first S6 fig is pretty good, good accessories and decent outfit piece.

El Chuxter
11-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, but it's Duke. That outweighs any qualities the figure may have. Stupid twit, comes in and steals Hawk's job, makes passes at Snake Eyes' woman. I wish Serpentor had killed him. And then tore off his head and pooped in the neckhole. When I saw GIJoe: The Movie, I cried when Doc said, "Duke's going to be okay."

JediTricks
11-17-2006, 05:40 PM
They only put that line in because of all the flak they caught from killing Optimus Prime in the Transformers movie.

Personally, I wasn't so tied to the cartoon that I couldn't appreciate a semi-related toy 20 years later.

El Chuxter
11-17-2006, 05:44 PM
I was more a fan of the comic, but he was a feminine hygiene product in that, too.

seanmcfripp
11-18-2006, 03:18 PM
I was more a fan of the comic, but he was a feminine hygiene product in that, too.

Doucheke. Has a nice ring to it.

I don't mind Duke so much. Michael Bell's performance in the cartoon series makes him not quite so annoying.

Dominic Guglieme
11-20-2006, 10:52 PM
I never understood all the hatin' on Duke.

He was a field officer when Hawk got promoted. Hawk was never written out. He just replaced Flagg.

JetsAndHeels
11-23-2006, 04:21 PM
I wish Serpentor had killed him. And then tore off his head and pooped in the neckhole.

That's awesome.

Snake Eyes rules all, by the way.

BountyHunterScum
12-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah, but it's Duke. That outweighs any qualities the figure may have. Stupid twit, comes in and steals Hawk's job, makes passes at Snake Eyes' woman. I wish Serpentor had killed him. And then tore off his head and pooped in the neckhole. When I saw GIJoe: The Movie, I cried when Doc said, "Duke's going to be okay."

Who was Snake Eyes' woman?

El Chuxter
12-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Shana "Scarlett" O'Hara. The second deadliest member of the team... until Storm Shadow joined.

BountyHunterScum
12-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Shana "Scarlett" O'Hara. The second deadliest member of the team... until Storm Shadow joined.

Interesting. I hope they make figures of all the female sigma 6 characters, scarlet, jinx and baroness. I have bombshell the blonde female non sigma 6 fig, hubba hubba.

seanmcfripp
12-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Just a heads up for anyone that cares. The new black version of CC is starting to show up with a silver cape now, a running change perhaps:

http://www.joebattlelines.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8903

JediTricks
12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I saw the new black Cobra Commander figure yesterday at Target, I didn't notice the cape color though.

Dominic Guglieme
12-08-2006, 05:35 PM
GI Joe America's Elite: 18
And, the Phoenix Guard arc comes to a close. Over-all, the arc was a mixed bag. On the one hand, it covered the ideas of loyalty, leadership and the like from several angles. Serpentor/Rey's revelation is well handled. For all of his sense of duty, and courage, he is utterly powerless when he realizes he has been betrayed, by both his soldiers, and his boss. All but the most partisah Hama fan would have to admit that one of Devil's Due's best moves was bringing back Serpentor. (And, as a complimentary point, how short-sighted Hama was in the 80s when it came to this character.) Serpentor is the ultimate innocent in this story.
But, there are some bad points, and they are *bad*. First, for all of the intelligent writing about leadership, there is also a fair amount of polemnic in this arc. After some gratuitous pontificating about Gitmo, the arc ends with a president talking about responsibility. And, the series is still recovering from the indecisive editing of a few years back. The Crimson Twins show up alive and well in this issue, despite having been pretty clearly killed during Red Shadows.

Grade: C For all its flaws, GI Joe is becoming one of the more thought provoking books available.

El Chuxter
12-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Wait a second.

I know this discussion belongs in the Comics & Books section, but you're saying that General Rey has been Serpentor this whole time? Wow. I'd fallen way behind when the only comic shop within easy driving distance stopped carrying GIJoe, but that gives me some very, very serious doubts as to whether I want to pick up the trade paperbacks and catch up or not.

I will say it: Serpentor is the worst character to ever appear in GIJoe. He's one of the worst in the history of comics. You'd have to dig pretty deep to find a lamer character. He ranks somewhere between Calendar Man and Stegron the Dinosaur Man.

This is not an issue of "I like Hama"/"I don't like Hama." This is a case of a truly stupid concept that never, ever should have been cooked up back in 1985 or '86 or whenever.

This isn't even like Duke. No, Duke is a believable character. I hate him, sure, but he's the sort you love to hate. Serpentor is just ridiculous.

Think about it for a minute. "I am the leader of a ruthless terrorist organization, determined to rule the world. I have entire legions at my command, have undercover agents planted throughout the US, and even run an entire city without anyone being the wiser. I've surrounded myself with the most bloodthirsty SOBs on the planet: amoral leaders of industry, homicidal arms dealers, biker gangs, ninjas, mercenaries. My latest recruit is sort of odd. He was a flaming orthodontist until he drove himself insane by experimenting on his own mind. He's a strange kook, but he's a genius when it comes to mind control, and, well, I need someone to pick up where Dr Venom left off, so I keep him around. Anyway, he had this amazing idea this morning. He came up to me, and he said, 'Hey, boss! Why don't we risk all sorts of public exposure by digging up a bunch of dead conquerors and heroes and such, and then we can bring them back here and maybe I can do what no one else on Earth has been able to do, and I can synthesize all this disparate DNA and we can make a guy to steal your job!' Man, I'm glad I have geniuses like Dr Mindbender on my payroll!"

Dude, it just does not follow. There is absolutely no possible way to construct this in a way that makes a damned bit of sense.

Never mind that super-soldiers brought back from the dead simply do not fit in a semi-realistic military comic. You might say that genetically-modified soldiers and ninja mysticism and giant robots from Cybertron have no place in a semi-realistic military comic, either. I'd totally agree with you. They don't. But that doesn't change the fact that super-soldiers brought back from the dead simply do not fit in a semi-realistic military comic, either.

I was ecstatic when Zartan offed Serpentor back in the day, and felt like dropping the DDP incarnation altogether when he came back. I didn't care who wrote either version. If Rob Liefeld wrote the story with Serpentor dying, and Frank Miller wrote his return, I'd still feel the same way.

Devil's Due started with an amazing comic. I was completely astounded by how much I loved the new series... until it became clear that Serpentor was coming back. I decided to give it a few issues before dropping it, and I got a great payoff: it turns out they brought Serpentor back just so that Cobra Commander could kill the stinking douchebag himself. But they couldn't leave well enough alone, and it was revealed a month or two later that he'd somehow cheated death again. And that's when I really started losing interest, and it completely vanished with the totally pointless and silly Red Shadows storyline.

Tomax and Xamot back from the dead, too? So this makes how many returns from the dead for the current GIJoe comic? I think it rivals X-Men now. Say what you will, but the Marvel series had three. Cobra Commander and Firefly both had plausible, though comic-bookish, explanations for cheating seemingly certain death. Mindbender, well, that cloning crap happened in the Transformers Generation 2 crossover and, no matter how much I like TF, Joes, and Hama, that was one of the worst stories I ever read. On the other hand, the SAW Viper was dead. They showed his body, and that wasn't a guy having a bad day. And he came back at the same time as Serpentor, with a new name (I don't remember or care what it was). But was there a point? First time around, he single-handedly decimated a lot of Joes. Second time, well, he was a huge paintywaist--about as deadly as a cocker spaniel with no teeth. It undermined everything that appealed about the character, as well as the impact of the deaths of those he killed. Because apparently now dead people can just "get better." Maybe next issue they'll find a cocoon floating in space with Lady Jaye inside, having no memories of being killed by the Red Shadows.

Since they're hooked on stupid characters and bringing people back from the dead, hopefully Raptor, Crystal Ball, and Fred VII can come back soon and create an unstoppable army of guys who look the same and wear totally ridiculous fur and feather costumes.

Truth be told, you've just saved me a lot of money on paperback collections with the one post.

If I seem argumentative, that's not my intent. I just honestly believe that you and Josh Blaylock are the only two people who ever lived who don't think Serpentor should never have happened.

Because Serpentor sucks in ways that nothing has sucked before or since. Even the antics of AOTC C-3PO.

Dominic Guglieme
12-12-2006, 11:58 AM
I posted my reply in the books section. It is a doozy.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=517613#post517613

DarkArtist
12-14-2006, 01:02 PM
not really a fan of the line. was hoping that the micro line might be in the scale of the 3 3/4 realm but no dice. the line had potential but still I'll pass.

Dominic Guglieme
12-14-2006, 06:02 PM
If the figures in the micro line did not have such badly pre-posed limbs, it would be better. The idea of getting well detailed figures and scaled vehicles (The Dragon Hawk would not be possible at a larger scale) is a good one all told.

JediTricks
12-15-2006, 09:23 PM
The Dragon Hawk has been price-cut at Target down to $19.99, and was on sale this week for $17.99... and I *still* passed! That may have been a mistake, but I've totally run out of places to put stuff.

Yeah, the preposed nature of the mini figures is a huge turnoff for me as well, although some of the vehicle pack-in figures are actually neutral and some have decent articulation, but the line in general is Unleashed BP style which is a downer. Still, I look forward to finding more vehicles, the line has me on that alone.

Dominic Guglieme
12-18-2006, 08:36 PM
I will admit, if I was not actively trying to save money and space, I would have grabbed a number of the lil' S6 vehicles, including the nicely priced Dragonhawk.

I did grab a Firebat for a kid I know. If his mother does not okay it, then, it becomes mine though........:rolleyes:

JediTricks
12-19-2006, 05:59 PM
I keep getting tempted by Target's price on the Dragonhawk, they keep having just 1 left at every store I hit and I keep thinking "well, maybe..." - I need help. :p

2-1B
12-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Somehow I have the impression that Chux hates Serpentor...am I mistaken in thinking that ? :confused:

BountyHunterScum
12-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I saw the new black Cobra Commander figure yesterday at Target, I didn't notice the cape color though.

I bought one a week ago it has the red cape I've also saw it again yesterday and that had a red cape too. They also had storm shadow with red pants but i'm going to give TRU some of my business.

seanmcfripp
12-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah, the preposed nature of the mini figures is a huge turnoff for me as well, although some of the vehicle pack-in figures are actually neutral and some have decent articulation, but the line in general is Unleashed BP style which is a downer.

I've skipped the 2.5 stuff for the same reason. If they were even modestly articulated, like say the old M.A.S.K. figures, I'd be all over them. But a bunch of figures that don't even look like they belong in the same line together? Thanks, but no thanks.

JediTricks
12-20-2006, 05:16 PM
I've skipped the 2.5 stuff for the same reason. If they were even modestly articulated, like say the old M.A.S.K. figures, I'd be all over them. But a bunch of figures that don't even look like they belong in the same line together? Thanks, but no thanks.
They're even in slightly different scales IMO. What really sucks about the preposed figures is that the Joe vehicles are made to hold multiple figures each yet only come with 1 figure who can sit in the thing without looking dopey.

BountyHunterScum
12-20-2006, 05:49 PM
They're even in slightly different scales IMO. What really sucks about the preposed figures is that the Joe vehicles are made to hold multiple figures each yet only come with 1 figure who can sit in the thing without looking dopey.

I have some of the smaller fig sets, primarily the storm shadow, snake eyes and cobra commander sets. I'm picky with the larger figs, mostly the afore mentioned characters.

JediTricks
12-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Spotted the mission scale Arctic VAMP at Target last night, nothing enticing about it though, just a snowbound retread of the previous version. I picked up a HISS tank for $10 though, no way that thing was going to get me to pay MSRP's $15.

GI Joe Sigma 6 Mission Scale Cobra HISS - some interesting ideas but nothing really exciting. The gimmick is that the cockpit raises up and the vehicle can be configured a few different ways. There's a opening rear door, the sides of the rear section open, and in the center is a gunner turret with removable machine guns and big missile launchers; A second set of missile launchers snaps into the sides of the tank. The rear section is removable to form a small armored wall, the turret has fold-down feet to become a stand-alone gunner station, the back door is removable, there are rails inside the bed of the tank to suggest carrying troops. The figures are Cobra Commander pointing and holding a cobra staff, and a generic white Cobra pilot with a big hoarkin' cannon attached to his hand - neither are all that condusive to play or fit well in the vehicle though. Lots of mounting points, including small ones for guns and flag, but some seem very poorly thought-out. A medium amount of stickers, and it does kinda need them with its rather minimal paintjob. Not a bad set, but not a great set either. Grade: C+/B-

seanmcfripp
01-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Sweet, first pic of the 25th anniversary figures is up. Storm Shadow's looking pretty nice:

http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?page=news&newsid=4B1AD5C7-D56F-E112-44B98FB9D3FC9EB3

No more rivets, ball jointed hips sans o-ring, double jointed knees, painted accessories...I hope all the figures are as nice as this one. Seriously, what an awesome little action figure.

El Chuxter
01-22-2007, 05:15 PM
That has me stoked!

25 figures... who could they be?

I can come up with 20 that seem like safe bets:
1) Storm Shadow
2) Cobra Commander
3) Destro
4) Zartan
5) Baroness
6) Firefly
7) Viper
8) Major Bludd
9) Dr Mindbender
10) Crimson Guard
11) Snake Eyes
12) Duke
13) Hawk
14) Flint
15) Scarlett
16) Lady Jaye
17) Stalker
18) Roadblock
19) Gung Ho
20) Spirit

seanmcfripp
01-22-2007, 05:30 PM
That has me stoked!

25 figures... who could they be?

Don't forget Serpentor. He's really cool!

El Chuxter
01-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Eh, I can do without him. If he's figure #25, I might just get the first 24.

seanmcfripp
01-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Don't hold back, Chux. You know you're the biggest hater, and I'm pretty much right there with ya. The only way Serpentor would be cool is if they changed his costume so that his snake hood looked like Slicker's mom's meat curtains.

JediTricks
01-22-2007, 10:22 PM
The thumbnail won't load, so it was hard for me to finally get the pop-up to load: http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/closeup.cfm?image=/StormShadowLarge.jpg

Looks pretty good, like they're borrowing heavily from the modern Star Wars production style, though they've also added a double-jointed knee and universal- or ball-jointed hips.

So now the question is "where and how much"

figrin bran
01-22-2007, 10:35 PM
i'll buy all of them unless they vtsc-itze them and put them in clamshells and charge $10+ for one ;)

seanmcfripp
01-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Looks like they're showing a new figure every day. Duke is up today.

El Chuxter
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Sigh. I figured we couldn't get a line without him. :(

I'm still only seeing Storm Shadow, though. Do you have a link to Duke?

seanmcfripp
01-23-2007, 01:49 PM
It was up, but now it's down. I saved it though:

RooJay
01-24-2007, 02:24 AM
To bad the most recent Joe line (pre-Sigma Six) didn't look like this from the start. Probably would've still been around and selling well today. Ooh, ooh...hopefully they'l do some really cool, old-school style vehicles for this line as well! Hell, they could just re-release some of the original sets.:thumbsup:

Dominic Guglieme
01-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I was kind of hoping for engineering more along the lines of Microman. But hey, these do look good.
So far, they are both on my list. (And let me tell you, I am hungry for new toys. There is just nothing out for me now......., and I am broke anyway......)

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Addition #3, Scarlett: http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/closeup.cfm?image=/ScarlettLarge.jpg

I like everything except the crotch piece, I hate when they pull that "half-butt" thing so it's not exactly the entire leg. The head is a bit more cartoony, but still works for me.

I bet these things are going to be marketed exactly like the VOTC, probably for around $7.50 a figure (no licensing to pay), and this would be the perfect line to do a mail-in figure with.

Chux, what is your damage with Duke? Get over it, he's just a fictional guy. Duke's not an interloper, he's from the 2nd year of the line along with other classics like Destro, Gung-Ho, and Major Bludd; a year before classics like Storm Shadow, Baroness, Firefly, and Roadblock.

figrin bran
01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
On Scarlett, they should've just made the whole groin area that golden yellow color. Judging by how the ankle and knee joints like similar to ROTS Aayla's, i have a feeling it'll be hard to get this figure to stand unless they make the joints really stiff.

RooJay
01-25-2007, 01:43 AM
These are really looking to be the Joes I always wished I had! Just fantastic! I only hope Zartan 'changes color in bright sunlight!' I really miss that feature on my Zartan figures.

El Chuxter
01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
JT, would you rather I took out my Duke frustrations on you? :p

My hatred of Duke goes back many years. Around 1983-4, my family was very poor, and we couldn't afford many luxury items like toys. Most months, we had our power cut off for a few days.

That Christmas, under the tree, we had a few paltry wrapped presents. The only one with my name on it turned out to be some off-brand chocolate mints that tasted vaguely like mothballs. And one of the rats that lived in the wall rushed out and stole even the rest of those from me!

It was shaping up to be the worst Christmas ever, when there was a knock at the door. Was this Santa coming to bring us presents? I ran to the door and opened it.

There was Duke, standing there! A real GIJoe!! But he pushed me out of the way, shouting some random profanities, pulled his pistol, and shot my dad in both ankles. Then he grabbed my mother, threw her over the shoulder, and went into the bedroom, warning my sister and I that if we opened the door, no matter how loudly we heard anyone screaming, he'd kill us all and feed us to the wolves.

It really was, after all, the worst Christmas ever. Well, until the infamous "Galvatron incident" a few years later.

seanmcfripp
01-25-2007, 01:57 PM
My hatred of Duke goes back many years...

I'm disappointed. I would have thought Slicker's mom had something to do with the bad blood between you and Duke.

Anyhoo, looks like somebody accidentally let the rest of the first ten 25th Anny pictures out of the bag. Enjoy.

seanmcfripp
01-25-2007, 01:58 PM
And the rest.

El Chuxter
01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
With one exception, these are beautiful! They even got the MARS logo on Destro's case!

Baroness, well, she's a problem. The face sucks. The 1983 figure actually had a better head sculpt.

BTW, if you want the real reason I hate Duke: He's boringly perfect. Every other character had a flaw or trait that made them interesting. But Duke was a goody-goody, excelled in school, spoke twelve (I know that's an exaggeration) languages, always saved the day, always did everything right. As a solo character, I actually think he could work. Throw him on a team with hideously scarred mute ninjas, machine gunners who want to be rock guitarists or chefs, Native American mystics, etc, well, it was never a good fit.

The smartest thing Devil's Due did was establish that he had been a pretty detestable secret agent after the original team was disbanded.

And the best moment in Marvel's run was him sobbing on Hawk's shoulder. Not because of some sick desire to see him emotionally crushed, mind you, but because this was one of the very few times when Duke failed to be the superhero goody two-shoes, when we got to see him with his shining facade cracked.

Dominic Guglieme
01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Addition #3, Scarlett:

I bet these things are going to be marketed exactly like the VOTC, probably for around $7.50 a figure (no licensing to pay), and this would be the perfect line to do a mail-in figure with.

Chux, what is your damage with Duke? Get over it, he's just a fictional guy. Duke's not an interloper, he's from the 2nd year of the line along with other classics like Destro, Gung-Ho, and Major Bludd; a year before classics like Storm Shadow, Baroness, Firefly, and Roadblock.

I think JT's time estimates are a bit off. (Baroness came out as a co-sell with Duke, Stormshadow came later, that sort of thing.) But, in principle, I agree with him. (More on this below.)

I like all of the pics shown so far. Damn. Damn. Damnitalltohell. (My poor wallet.) :yes:

Seriously, these look very nice. Yeah, color changing on Zartan would be nice, but when the toys look this good, do you really need them to change color? Lets not get greedy now. Golly, these are some fine toys.

As for Duke, if you can tolerate cartoony indians, ninjas and other arch-types, why not a basic hero archtype? Yeah, Shipwreck was interesting by virtue of being an SOB, but Duke made a good counterpoint to guys like Firefly or Cobra Commander.

And, I really do not see how Duke was "detestable" in the Devil's Due run. Yes, he did questionable things. But, how was he detestable? At worst, he lost sight of his comrades a few times. But, he never forgot what team he played for.

Dominic Guglieme
01-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Wait a second!

I was just ogling the pics a bit more, and noticed that they do seem to have Microman style articulation, or at least closer to said articulation than I initially thought.

:love:

2-1B
01-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Will there be new Wild Weasel or Shipwreck figures?

RooJay
01-25-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm disappointed. I would have thought Slicker's mom had something to do with the bad blood between you and Duke.

Anyhoo, looks like somebody accidentally let the rest of the first ten 25th Anny pictures out of the bag. Enjoy.

Excuse me for a moment...I have to go change my underwear...

RooJay
01-25-2007, 11:27 PM
And the rest.

Aww, dammit! BRB!

...okay, now I couple things I'm noticing (just a couple nits to pick:) One - why no double joints on Destro's knees like the rest? and Two - Gung-Ho really needs to be rockin' the handlebar 'stache like the original. That mustache is just pitifully tiny.

seanmcfripp
01-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Will there be new Wild Weasel or Shipwreck figures?

There are at least 15 more that need to be announced, so there's always a possibility for either of those two.

If you're into the Sigma 6 thing, there's a pretty nifty version of Shipwreck hitting stores now.

http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=ps_results&product_id=18753

JediTricks
01-26-2007, 06:35 PM
That's not a leak, they put them up on the news page:
http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?page=news&newsID=55D71BB3-D56F-E112-47C9328CC0A2FDF5

(which will probably be replaced on Monday)

These are really looking to be the Joes I always wished I had! Just fantastic! I only hope Zartan 'changes color in bright sunlight!' I really miss that feature on my Zartan figures.Yeah, I totally agree about Zartan, that's always been the feature that made me dig him the most (his scooter turning into trash less so, that was an odd decision on Hasbro's part - box of junk becomes a scooter?).

JT, would you rather I took out my Duke frustrations on you? :pI'd prefer you got over it. :D You've been fanboying out a lot lately with Duke and comic book adaptation complaints - if you're not careful, my mental picture of you is gonna turn into Comic Book Guy from the simpsons. ;)

And I say your dad's ankles had it coming, they shouldn't have joined Cobra!

Baroness, well, she's a problem. The face sucks. The 1983 figure actually had a better head sculpt.I agree, more cartoony than Scarlett and the glasses are done even poorer - and you just know Hasbro's gonna mis-paint them. I think the head on Destro is a problem as well though, it's really small, the shape seems off, it's not silver enough, and the eyes are over the top.

BTW, if you want the real reason I hate Duke: He's boringly perfect. Every other character had a flaw or trait that made them interesting. But Duke was a goody-goody, excelled in school, spoke twelve (I know that's an exaggeration) languages, always saved the day, always did everything right. As a solo character, I actually think he could work. Throw him on a team with hideously scarred mute ninjas, machine gunners who want to be rock guitarists or chefs, Native American mystics, etc, well, it was never a good fit.I can see why you'd NOT like him for that, or why you just wouldn't care about him because of it, but to outright HATE him over it? Seems like a waste of perfectly good hate.

I think JT's time estimates are a bit off. (Baroness came out as a co-sell with Duke, Stormshadow came later, that sort of thing.) But, in principle, I agree with him. (More on this below.)I didn't estimate, I looked it up. Duke was the '83 mail-away figure while Storm Shadow and Baroness came out in the '84 line-up.

As for Duke, if you can tolerate cartoony indians, ninjas and other arch-types, why not a basic hero archtype? Yeah, Shipwreck was interesting by virtue of being an SOB, but Duke made a good counterpoint to guys like Firefly or Cobra Commander.Dom's got you there Chux, it's a good point, especially since Duke is the basic original "GI Joe" archetype (pre-RAH).

...okay, now I couple things I'm noticing (just a couple nits to pick:)One - why no double joints on Destro's knees like the rest? and Two - Gung-Ho really needs to be rockin' the handlebar 'stache like the original. That mustache is just pitifully tiny.I noticed that about Destro's knees too, but I don't mind it too much, not every guy is a super-limber fighter. As for Gung-Ho's mustache, I think they wanted something more modern-appropriate so he doesn't look like Fu Manchu or a '70s porno guy. :p

jjreason
01-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Having seen these, Snow Job and Firefly would be tops on my list of wants.

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Is this not good enough for you?!? ;) Firefly is almost certainly a lock, Snow Job is less so because he's just not quite as iconic and is a specialized guy, but I suspect he'll get in there too since he's an early character (year 2).

I just realized there's a picture of Cobra Commander on there but the thumb is still 404 so it's not clickable!
http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/closeup.cfm?image=/CobraCommanderLarge.jpg
(or the direct-link) hasbro.com/common/images/news/gijoe//CobraCommanderLarge.jpg
COOOOBRA!!!

Honestly, I'm not feeling that one, I think it's the entire lower body actually, plus the helmet's a little off. Think he'll get a removable helmet with a real face?

JetsAndHeels
01-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Are they going to release the Cobra Commander with the hood?

JediTricks
01-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Are they going to release the Cobra Commander with the hood?My guess is probably, and in fact I'll even guess further that our Cobra Commander figure already shown will just come with the hood as an accessory and the helmet will be removable to swap them. The original hooded CC used the same body as the helmeted CC (the swivel-bicep version) which this new one is aping the look of. Then again, hooded CC's paint job was darker and sported red accents rather than the original's black ones. Hooded CC had a void cut out in his back to accomodate his blaster, it's a retool of the back mold only.

figrin bran
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Everyone on RS has been customizing the Sigma 6 Iron Hammer into a clone mech vehicle so i decided to pick one up in hopes of doing the same.

JediTricks
01-29-2007, 11:12 PM
There's a clone mech somewhere? Or are they pulling it out of their imaginations? That's ok too, I've done it with a speederbike vehicle, I'm just curious on the source.

The Iron Hammer is pretty nifty, gonna be a lot of work to paint it to clone colors though, and the cockpit will need to be reworked to accomodate a 4" figure.

figrin bran
01-29-2007, 11:54 PM
JT, it's just fan made EU ;) i might just keep it as stock and not do any work on it. it looks like quite a pain to remove the seats so that a clone can fit inside.

i also picked up a Mantis Mech a few weeks back and since there are similar giant robots/suits of armor that appear in the DCAU, i displayed it with some of my JLU animated figures.

edit: i opened up the Iron Hammer and first off, it was really nice not to have to undo a billion twistie ties as all the parts were plastic bagged, a rarity in toys nowadays. i was actually able to fit a clone in the cockpit simply by unscrewing the side and removing the control panel/seat. of course, it doesn't look as good and seems as if the clone's sitting in a cargo bay. i'll probably just keep it as is.

JetsAndHeels
01-29-2007, 11:55 PM
My guess is probably, and in fact I'll even guess further that our Cobra Commander figure already shown will just come with the hood as an accessory and the helmet will be removable to swap them.

Then I am definately getting it. I think the hooded version is cooler.

RooJay
01-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Ahem, Gung-Ho's Handlebars weren't 'modern-appropriate' when the guy was created. That's what makes it so cool. The man dances to the beat of his own drum.
When I get mine, I'm painting it on.:beard:

Dominic Guglieme
01-30-2007, 01:52 PM
I am just waiting.....waiting.....waiting........

Honestly, I do not know why we are even bothering right now though. This will be a long wait. (All those pics are doing now is taunting me. Toys are laughing at me. Laughing!):squareeye

JediTricks
01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
JT, it's just fan made EU ;) i might just keep it as stock and not do any work on it. it looks like quite a pain to remove the seats so that a clone can fit inside. Quite understandable. It's a cool set by itself. Did you pick it up at Target for $10 or paid the MSRP at TRU of $15?

i also picked up a Mantis Mech a few weeks back and since there are similar giant robots/suits of armor that appear in the DCAU, i displayed it with some of my JLU animated figures.The Mantis I didn't care for, I know a lot of folks did, but it's too floppy for my tastes and no way you're going to get a larger figure into that cockpit.

edit: i opened up the Iron Hammer and first off, it was really nice not to have to undo a billion twistie ties as all the parts were plastic bagged, a rarity in toys nowadays. i was actually able to fit a clone in the cockpit simply by unscrewing the side and removing the control panel/seat. of course, it doesn't look as good and seems as if the clone's sitting in a cargo bay. i'll probably just keep it as is.Ah, that's interesting, I didn't realize it'd be so simple to do the seat thing.

The Joes have another mech coming out soon, actually it's way late, wave 2 or 3 of the $10 carded vehicles.

Then I am definately getting it. I think the hooded version is cooler.I always felt it was a tad impractical for being in the field. Plus, I felt ripped off when the toy had a plastic head underneath and you couldn't see it. :p The closest I ever got to seeing his mug was this figure: http://www.yojoe.com/12inch/92/cobracommander1.shtml
but his lower face is covered by a rag. I really liked this figure, and was so mad when my mom's dog busted into my room and pooped on it (I kid you not).

Dominic Guglieme
01-30-2007, 07:27 PM
There was a 4 inch CC with a removeable face-plate in (I think it was) '94 or so.

The mask was a translucent red. And, some variants allowed for it to be removed, and replaced easily. Other variants did not allow it to go back on well. Either way, the face was close to visible with the mask on, and fully with the mask (face-plate) off.

(This is also the suit CC had on for the infamous "nut-shot" issue of the comic, around issue 118 or so.)

The face is nothing spectacular mind you.

We also get pretty clear shots of CC's mug from various issues of the comic. However, some editorial mistakes do confuse the issue. I go with the Lenin look-a-like, for both thematic and aesthetic reasons.

figrin bran
01-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Quite understandable. It's a cool set by itself. Did you pick it up at Target for $10 or paid the MSRP at TRU of $15?

The Mantis I didn't care for, I know a lot of folks did, but it's too floppy for my tastes and no way you're going to get a larger figure into that cockpit.

Ah, that's interesting, I didn't realize it'd be so simple to do the seat thing.

The Joes have another mech coming out soon, actually it's way late, wave 2 or 3 of the $10 carded vehicles.

$15 at TRU??? yikes! i got it for $10 at Target. i don't have any airbrush or spray paints so i'll just keep it as is. i'll see how it looks with the Kashykk Clones once i get one otherwise i'll just use it and the Mech as Luthorcorp robots to display with JLU figures.

JediTricks
01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, Target had 'em at $17 for a while, then price-dropped them under MSRP real nice - now the boxed vehicles go for the same price as the carded-boxed vehicles though, confusing.

There was a 4 inch CC with a removeable face-plate in (I think it was) '94 or so.

The mask was a translucent red. And, some variants allowed for it to be removed, and replaced easily. Other variants did not allow it to go back on well. Either way, the face was close to visible with the mask on, and fully with the mask (face-plate) off. You're talking about this guy: http://www.yojoe.com/action/91/cobracommander4.shtml
Looks pretty lame, even for '90s GI Joe figures. Is there an actual face under there? It's hard to make out, but looks like.

There's also this doofus, but like the 12" he's sporting a do-rag under his eyes:
http://www.yojoe.com/action/94/cobracommander7.shtml

BountyHunterScum
02-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah, Target had 'em at $17 for a while, then price-dropped them under MSRP real nice - now the boxed vehicles go for the same price as the carded-boxed vehicles though, confusing.

You're talking about this guy: http://www.yojoe.com/action/91/cobracommander4.shtml
Looks pretty lame, even for '90s GI Joe figures. Is there an actual face under there? It's hard to make out, but looks like.

There's also this doofus, but like the 12" he's sporting a do-rag under his eyes:
http://www.yojoe.com/action/94/cobracommander7.shtml

I had that CC when I was younger and yeah he has a face under there but its supposed to be hard to see.

Fluke Skywalker
02-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Those 25th anniversary figures blew me away... I tried but just couldn't get too enthused about Sigma 6 or any of the other offerings post 1994 but I can't wait for these :thumbsup: .

I have a few questions you speculators might be able to answer...

1.) Think these will these have retro-card backs ala the VOTC or retro-esque like the OTC?

2.) Any guesses what they'll will retail for?

JediTricks
02-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I guessed they will be VOTC-style packaging, and sell for $7.50 a pop.

El Chuxter
02-05-2007, 06:55 PM
I'd heard two-packs for $9.99, though I'm not sure where that leaves figure #25. (Mail-away, perhaps? The list I saw did have Hooded Cobra Commander, who was a vintage mail-away, so it could be.)

Fluke Skywalker
02-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I guessed they will be VOTC-style packaging, and sell for $7.50 a pop.

Cool... So I assume that would mean no clamshell? (That's OK by me if it keeps the price below 10 bucks).

I'd heard two-packs for $9.99, though I'm not sure where that leaves figure #25. (Mail-away, perhaps? The list I saw did have Hooded Cobra Commander, who was a vintage mail-away, so it could be.)

A mail-away would be neat, but I don't want to have to destroy the card back in order to redeem it :( .

JediTricks
02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Cool... So I assume that would mean no clamshell? (That's OK by me if it keeps the price below 10 bucks).My guess, and that's all it is: a guess, is that they will have clamshells at $7.50. The price diff would be due to licensing fees not having to be paid for character use.

A mail-away would be neat, but I don't want to have to destroy the card back in order to redeem it :( .Well, the VTSC did that without destroying the card, but the end result was rampant theft and then worthless heat-sealed clamshells.

2-packs would be nifty, at $10 they'd be worth it too, but it wouldn't be very classic-styled that way.

RooJay
02-07-2007, 01:57 AM
I'd be supremely disappointed if these come in two-packs rather than vintage style packaging. Of course, that'd all go away when I tear them open anyway.:thumbsup: Life is so much easier and more fun when you free yourselves of the cardboard prison folks. Come out from behind the bubble people!

Dominic Guglieme
02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
The big problem with two packs is that it would make troop-building more costly. Of course, it may also keep troop-building figures on the shelves longer, as fewer people will want extra named characters paired off with extra troops.

Hmmm....maybe something similar to how Episode 1 toys were distributed in the UK, with each toy being packed with a troop-builder? For example, Duke w/ Cobra Infantry, Roadblock w/ Cobra Infantry, and so forth.....

Oh, and....

GI Joe 20
-The two part "breather" arc ends here. And, it ends pretty well. A new status quo is established, and the loose ends from the last few years (including from when the series lost focus in early '05) are pretty well resolved here. There are a few retcons, but most of them are consistent with the earlier retcons. In other words, GI Joe seems to be written decisively again. Hopefully, this part of the "new direction" will carry over with the new writer next issue. The worst thing about this issue is that it seems the writer was unable to fit the plot in one issue. As a result, a bit more than half of this outing is filler. But, even so, it is tolerable enough.
Grade: B Remember when comics tended to be this good?

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 07:35 PM
THmmm....maybe something similar to how Episode 1 toys were distributed in the UK, with each toy being packed with a troop-builder? For example, Duke w/ Cobra Infantry, Roadblock w/ Cobra Infantry, and so forth.....That kinda sucked for the Euro Ep 1 figures though, the Battle Droids were barely articulated and had their guns molded into their hands, if they did something cheap like that with GI Joe it'd defeat the purpose of having the figures at all.

Dominic Guglieme
02-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I was thinking more the packaging format than the quality. Truthfully, I did not like the Battle Droid figure enough to troop build it. But, the idea of double packing toys with a troop builder like that has merit. Think of the VvV packs, but with more uniformity among the troop builders.

RooJay
02-08-2007, 03:13 AM
That kinda sucked for the Euro Ep 1 figures though, the Battle Droids were barely articulated and had their guns molded into their hands, if they did something cheap like that with GI Joe it'd defeat the purpose of having the figures at all.

Hmm...weren't those Battle Droid pack-ins free? I could see how that would've sucked if folks had to pay full price for an extra figure with no articulation and a molded in weapon.

JediTricks
02-09-2007, 11:00 PM
They were free if you discount that the MSRP went up but they didn't get commtech chips the way the US did. What's being proposed here is almost certain to kick up the pricepoint though.

figrin bran
02-10-2007, 03:26 AM
the anniversary figs will be $6 and there will be two 5 packs for $25.

http://actionfigureinsider.com/toyfair2007/?p=11

JediTricks
02-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Oh man, musical boxed sets of 5 each, I did not see that coming! I wonder who the other 15 single-packed figs are.

RooJay
02-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Oh, this is like a dream come true! I think I'm going to faint. Thank you Hasbro, from the bottom of my heart!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
02-11-2007, 09:35 PM
At first I saw "$25" and crapped my pants. Then I realized I read it wrong, and it was two 5-packs, not five 2-packs.

This sounds mega sweet. I'm glad they're not VOTCing these at $10 each.

(Hey, just because I was outnumbered here and dropped calling for a boycott doesn't mean it ain't still a huge ****ing scam.)

Dominic Guglieme
02-13-2007, 08:17 PM
$25 bucks for 4 or 5 figures is not that bad actually. Granted, all at once..but still. Of course,the point is more or less moot now....

I do argree though, the $10+ clam-shell figures were way the hell over-priced. (I skipped that line for precisely said reason.)

Adam
02-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Found, and purchased Sigma Six Shipwreck the other day. Didn't see Firefly ( not really suprising) or Frontal Assault Duke ( very suprising ). Wetsuit and High-Tech were there, but I skipped um. Wetsuit isn't that interesting and I don't need another HT.

Shipwrecks pretty neat though, dig the tattoos'.

BountyHunterScum
02-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Found, and purchased Sigma Six Shipwreck the other day. Didn't see Firefly ( not really suprising) or Frontal Assault Duke ( very suprising ). Wetsuit and High-Tech were there, but I skipped um. Wetsuit isn't that interesting and I don't need another HT.

I saw FA Duke when I picked up Razor Ninja SS and Blue Kamakura fire ninja whatever the hell he is.

JediTricks
02-17-2007, 06:16 AM
Frontal Assault Duke isn't in the case with Firefly (cobra), Shipwreck, Wetsuit, and Hi-Tech (2) that I've seen.

Still haven't seen Lt Stone.

I spotted the newest wave of $15 figs at Target last week, had double-jointed Snake Eyes & Stormshadow, Frontal Assault Duke, Ninja Flames Kamakura, and Grand Slam, but I was too broke and had to pass them up - haven't seen them since (no way I'm buying Duke, probably not Grand Slam either).

Yesterday I spotted Wetsuit, Firefly 2, Hi-Tech 2, and Shipwreck at WM. I had all 4 in the cart, but Wetsuit and Shipwreck's accessories looked especially lame so I ended up putting them back even though they're both characters I wanted (bland figures trump nifty characters for me when the accessories are no good). Like an ***, I got fooled on Hi-Tech 2's packaging saying the gimmick was something it wasn't, the figure is a real let-down...

GI Joe Sigma 6 Hi-Tech (2) - clear sold me on this one even though I have Hi-Tech 1 and this repaint's accessories suck (I didn't know how bad until I opened him though). Clear stuff is good but not clear enough and thighs and upper arms are totally painted over for no reason since they're also clear plastic. Camo paintjob is alright, not too bad. Accessories really doom this guy, the clear pistol is a solid version of his previous one, the backpack is small and the gimmick is just independent sliding levers that whack him in the head with weapons which can also plug into the gun. Finally, he has goggles and an MP3 player that plugs into them and his chest. I can't believe I picked him over Shipreck and Wetsuit (both had lame accessories). Grade: C

GI Joe Sigma 6 (Cobra) Firefly - awesome figure, I'm so glad I waited to get this instead of the Joe version (he's a turncoat). Here his head is permanently wearing a body suit with just open eyeholes, then he has a modified version of his mask to go over that (the white paint in the middle of the mask is super sloppy, but forgivable). Sculpt is really nifty overall. Mid-torso has greater range than most, but lower legs are missing swivels. He comes with 2 of his machine guns (removable magazines), a big flamethrower staff, 2 flame missiles (one can plug into the back for double-flame action) plus a "flame chainsaw" missile. Plus, 2 removable flame-starting gauntlets, though their little flames are a little darker than they should be. Grade: A-

BountyHunterScum
02-17-2007, 05:19 PM
I have Lt Stone, I picked him up with Tattoo chest Storm Shadow. I found these a couple of months ago.

Adam
02-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Frontal Assault Duke isn't in the case with Firefly (cobra), Shipwreck, Wetsuit, and Hi-Tech (2) that I've seen.[/B]

You are correct since he is a commando figure and I thought he was a soldier for some reason.

RooJay
02-17-2007, 10:47 PM

But did you notice that new Hi-Tech comes with the Sigma 6 iPod?! I'll be buying one just for that!:thumbsup:

Adam
02-18-2007, 06:38 PM
But did you notice that new Hi-Tech comes with the Sigma 6 iPod?! I'll be buying one just for that!:thumbsup:

I did notice. :) But I didn't like everything else he comes with.

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I did notice. :) But I didn't like everything else he comes with.
Good choice, he does indeed suck, and the ipod he comes with can ONLY plug into his goggles.

seanmcfripp
03-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Five more 25th Anni figures: Flint, SE v2, Cobra Officer, Hooded CC, and SS v2.

Flint: Uses most of Duke's tooling, but has a new head, shotgun shell holding suspenders web-gear thingy, and a shotgun. If you would have told me "Hey, Flint's gonna be Duke with a new head," I'd have been miffed, but after seeing the picture, I think it works pretty well. I actually like the look of the sleeves not being rolled up so high, and the webgear is spot on. Pleasantly surprised by this one.

Snake Eyes v2: Not so hot on this one. I think we all know the '85 version too well to be fooled by a simple repaint. Yeah, he's got a new head with the visor, and yeah, he's got the strap across the chest with the grenades. But why is he wearing boots? And why are his pants baggy? The '85 version really played up the ninja aspect of the character, so I want the tight fitting black get-up with the ankle straps and the wrist crossbow. Oh, and I want that funky scimitar he came with too, not some generic ninja sword. I guess this is a passable effort, but I was expecting more.

Cobra Officer: Very nice. The Soldier looks to be a great figure, so using it as a base and adding a new head (with crested helmet) and webgear makes another great figure. Of course I'm hoping it comes with an AK, but even a silver Draganov rifle would be ok with me. BTW, I love the gray and silver accents. Looks much more like the original card art than the '82 figure did.

Hooded Cobra Commander: Pretty spiffy. The hood looks a bit wind blown for my tastes, but I love the color scheme. Very nice homage to the original hoodie CC.

Storm Shadow v2: Same feeling I get with SE v2. It's a decent effort on Hasbro's part using the tooling they have available, but I think there's too much that's unique to the '88 version to try to get away with a simple repaint. The baginess of the original uniform is what made it so cool, and while this new version's got the hood, everything else is tight and form-fitting. The lower half works ok, but you gotta have those longer, baggy sleeves. And of course, you HAVE to have the forearm tatoo, which this new version doesn't appear to have, thanx to the arm wraps. And everyone loves the compound bow of the original, so using v1's bow doesn't feel quite right. And I want the claw thingy. The rope across the chest is a nice touch though.

So looks like we're going to see shared tooling from here on out. Fine by me, if it saves Hasbro a few bucks and gets us the characters we want. But Hasbro should be careful with the Franken-swapping going forward with the rest of this line. I think it can work great in certain situations, but don't get greedy. Let's hope they learned from four waves of DTC what works and what doesn't.

El Chuxter
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
They look nice, though I'm not especially keen on a line of 25 figures having at least three repeats.

The Snake Eyes looks like he might owe more to the Devil's Due "modernized" Snake Eyes costume than to the '85 figure. Timber is a nice addition, and I don't care if Timber was dead before Snake Eyes wore this particular costume variation.

Not sure why they opted for "Urban Camo Storm Shadow." That was a later figure, and it's an odd choice. If they're going that far into the original line, somehow those remarkable gems PSerpentor and Dr Mindbender are probably shoo ins. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
03-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Flint looks pretty decent, the shotgun and web-gear vest really sell it.

Snake Eyes 2 fails in my book because the head is SO tiny. I dunno if the lower body is that wrong, the '85 figure isn't really as sleek as I remembered: http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/85images/snakeeyes2.shtml

Cobra Officer is a'ight, nothing special but nothing horrible.

I'm not down with hooded CC, that hood looks like he's always jerking his head to the right after looking over his shoulder. He needs more red color accents. And I dunno why, but he just looks cheaper than the others.

Storm Shadow 2 works for me because the hooded head makes a big different and I don't mind the pants bagginess issue (the new sculpt is done in a way that it covers both well). The sleeves are the sticking point though, they definitely stand out as wrong.

Chux, that Storm Shadow 2 is referencing the 2nd Storm Shadow figure from the original line: http://www.yojoe.com/action/88/stormshadow2.shtml
It is what it is.

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Picked up Windblade Snake Eyes today finally after not bothering the first 2 times I saw him. Basically, my thinking was that the thing that annoyed me most about the previous SE body was the knock-kneed legs, and this does indeed fix that. The color scheme is also good, off-black with dark gray instead of that green the original had. The head with the sculpted visor is I think from the 2pack which I don't have, the work is good even though Hasbro thinks SE always has to have a pinhead - the original with the interchangeable visor and stuff was cool but came off too easily for play. The old articulation is still adequate except the neck which still has limited upwards viewing. The new articulation is pretty nice but they limit it by putting armor around the sides so it has to be bent out of the way when the rotation is used. The new ankles work very nicely, I wish similar jointing had been used on the wrists because this has such a fine range of motion and the wrists are the old style (the right wrist now hinges up/down instead of side-to-side which is nifty). They also added a few new sigma-holes, including one on each hand. Even though there's double-jointed knees and elbows plus a ton of added range to the ankles, I'm having a hard time finding really cool poses for SE with this, I think I need some inspiration.

Unfortunately, this set's accessories are horrible, a real waste of efforts. First is the oversized shoulder armor that fits poorly and hinders neck movement since it comes up so high. Attached to that (but actually easy to remove) is a visor that slips over the regular visor, it's got a goofy techy look to it. Then you can plug in the helicopter backpack (the straps that attach to pegs on the front of the armor are tough to get on those pegs and want to tear them off during removal) which has a large plunger sticking out the side and a tri-bladed folding rotor which can be used up above his head or back behind him (even though that makes NO sense) - push the plunger and the rotor spins. The bottom of the backpack folds down to reveal 2 squat bombs pegged into the door. The sculpting on the backpack is decent, but the gimmick makes it too thick and it's an incredibly underwhelming gimmick that's also unnecessary since the 2nd SE figure had a much cooler jetpack, and the rotors are the only things that don't fit in the damn foam-less weapons case. I do like the silver box caps/weapons case over the old blue ones, but the foam liners were cool and I miss them here. SE also has 2 more of that same tonfa sword, it's still an ugly sword and I'm sick of seeing it with its unpleasant slight angle, chubby hilt, and pointless trigger; and this time they only included 1 scabbard (plus, I think they shortened the peg on it a little, annoyingly). Finally, the RB2 gun, a somewhat awkward little gun with a rotating drum around the central muzzle (why a rotating drum if it's not a gattling-style?) that has a second, side-mounted grip which reveals a slide-out blade in the back - why does this even need a knife at all, and why out the back where it goes straight into his bicep? This wouldn't be a half-bad pistol if the blade at least retracted that last half inch and had a sigma-peg so he could stow it on his suit.

Ultimately, it's not a great purchase as a toy, the accessories doom this to the crap bin quickly, so it's essentially a $15 new body for Snake Eyes which is at least $5 overpriced (even the $10 figures usually get 1 halfway decent accessory). Still, it's got the best SE paintjob yet and some really choice new articulation, so that does mitigate it some. Grade: B-

JediTricks
03-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Me again... if we're not careful this thread will turn into a blog. :p

I think I figured out why I was having trouble conceiving of cool poses for new SE to stand in, I was coming up with Spider-man poses (I had been messing with a Spidey 6" figure the day before I got SE) and they just didn't fit SE or the ninja theme in general. I still don't have any awesome poses, but I do have a sweet kneeling pose (it's even better when he's holding the sword but I don't have room to display it like that) already that makes use of the new joints. I dug out my other 2 SE figs to mix-n-match accessories, unfortunately the shin armor and jump-pack with Ninja Armor SE doesn't quite fit Windblade SE's sigma-holes, on both the lower hole is a tiny different distance from the upper and it pops back out - the backpack can fit loosely in the Ninja Armor chest armor and the shin armor can stay on from the bottom peg alone, but that's a pretty poor fix, I might shave off the lowest peg on the backpack. I put 1st SE's web-gear vest on him, and included the uzi and sheathed dagger on his legs, then took the baton from Nina Armor SE (I may go back for the shoulder armor, it fit better on Windblade SE anyway). Windblade SE also fits better on the Ninja Hovercycle and those accessories are great on him.

Also, I think I figured out what's up with the RB2 gun, I think the instructions and packaging don't understand it, it's got a handle that would orient the gun under the forearm, this orients the triggers properly and aligns the rear blade so it can be extended without hitting the forearm, plus the rotating drum now lines up with a black square that could conceivably be the muzzle which would make make more sense with the new orientation of the gun.

figrin bran
03-04-2007, 11:39 PM
I saw the S6 HISS on clearance for $6.98 at two different Targets yesterday...thought about buying but ultimately passed on it.

JediTricks
03-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Excellent, you've broken the cycle! :DYeah, I saw those, at that price it's definitely worth getting if you have any other S6 Mission Scale stuff because it's the only bad-guy vehicle and it's not terrible.

pbarnard
03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Well I'm a long time Joe collector and customizer and I've passed on the Sigma 6 stuff all along. I've avoided the thread because of the title not realizing until recently that the older scale is someplace in here. I like the idea of Hasbro trying to grow the brand, but they've basically admitted that they have 2 lines. A stagnant 3.75" line with no growth and limited market cap (and an even smaller 12" one) and a new line that is trying to bring new kids and keep the brand. I don't like anime, so I don't like S6.

I probably bought my last sets just recently with the Oktober Guard 101 Comic pack and a Viper 6 Pack. I've given up on Hasbro weapons and gone strictly with Marauder Inc. and bbi casts.

Onto the 25th Anniversary collection. Character selection, I would like to have it focus on main ones from the cartoons and comics. I'd like it to be Ninja minimized. The ninja-fication really turned me off towards the end of my kid days, and I've avoided just about every thing but the removable hood Stormshadow with respect to ninja's in the relaunch. Some characters get two sculpts, others will get none. That's fair. Some have multiple costumes or looks that people associate with them. Most could care less about some guy who was just the hero of your adventures as a child. Retooling. Anything to save the money to get them made is a good thing. Having Duke's body be used to make Flint or whatever, I'm fine with it. Finally, what about scale? Are these going to be 4" plus figures or they going to be 3.75"? The prices seem reasonable, and Hasbro's degree of caring was shown when the pictures were leaked pre-toyfair. All the thunder for the line was released way to early, and after these peg warm, either due to the fan base not knowing or those few people who still think the flawed o-ring design should have never been deviated from won't buy, than we'll finally see an end to the teasing of the 3.75" collectors and let us go back into the recesses of our mom's basements ;)

figrin bran
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Excellent, you've broken the cycle! :DYeah, I saw those, at that price it's definitely worth getting if you have any other S6 Mission Scale stuff because it's the only bad-guy vehicle and it's not terrible.

oops i didn't mean to interrupt your S6 blog JT! :p

all i have as far as mission scale stuff goes is the iron hammer and mantis mech. if i see the HISS again, i'll give it some more thought...if the price goes even lower than $6.98, i'll definitely pick one up

seanmcfripp
03-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Better pics of the next five 25th Anni figures at TNI:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=GIJoe%2F25th%2F&dispsize=600&start=0

Looks like SS does in fact have the arm tatoo. These pics show off the figures much better. I love Flint's green shotgun.

pbarnard
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Looks like they're even stealing the stands from Star Wars designs. I hate Hasbro weapons. Marauder or bbi here I go.

JediTricks
03-07-2007, 07:01 PM
all i have as far as mission scale stuff goes is the iron hammer and mantis mech. if i see the HISS again, i'll give it some more thought...if the price goes even lower than $6.98, i'll definitely pick one upOh, if you're just into the mechs, then it's probably not worth your trouble. If you had the VAMP or the Dune Runner it'd be a different story.

Looks like they're even stealing the stands from Star Wars designs.Haw! I was just about to say that!

Pics of the 25th wave 2 guys are interesting, I wasn't expecting these to use screws to hold the thighs together, that's a deviation from the VOTC style. I'm totally sick of Hasbro making 3.75"-scale Timber beasts that are unarticulated and preposed.

I got tired of waiting to find the S6 Mission Scale wave 2 of the smaller boxed vehicles, so I ordered the ones they had on HasbroToyShop (they didn't have the little Atlas Mech for some reason) and they just showed up:

GI Joe Sigma 6 Mission Scale Winged Fury - although an all-new sculpt, this is actually a shrunken version of the recent 3.75" line's Rhino Copter which is unusual especially since this is a better toy. Basically, it's the cockpit part of an F-117 Nighthawk stealth plane imagined as an attack helicopter, not the best looking chopper but not shabby either. The basic vehicle has fold-down landing wheels, folding main rotor, and small wings which pop down with a button. The main rotor is gear-driven to spin and spins freely 1 way in this mode when not engaged, yet they added functionality by making it so you can push the rotor down slightly and it disengages the gears and leaves it free to spin but with just enough friction to stay where you leave it which is awesome. Sculpting is generally keen with some nice little details and 2 different sets of molded guns plus another turret at the front that rotates left-right with 2 more guns. The opening cockpit has seats and control sticks for 2. There's also a harness so the copter can be carried by the Dragonhawk. Paint is simple and gets by on its own ok, but is somewhat dependent on the 20 or so stickers, most of which add a step up in the deco department. The best feature of this set is the modular add-on weapons, 4 with the smaller peg (machine guns, laser cannons, and 2 different types of gatling guns - 1 with a movable ammo belt) and 2 large-peg missile-launchers that sport 3 missiles. The small-peg weapons can be attached to either side of the nose turret, either top or bottom of the wings, and at the rear of the cockpit. The launchers are just bordering on being too big, they can be snapped into the top or bottoms of the wings but the other large-pegholes are in a location they can't use. There are 2 figures with this set - Scarlett and Jet Wings Duke (ironically, without the wings). Scarlett is alright but I don't like her anime design from the show which the paint does a decent job reproducing; she's permanently sporting a crossbow and is a tad preposed but can fit in the front seat of the cockpit. Duke is helmeted and wearing the bulky wingpack, one of his arms is preposed awkwardly to hold the control stick, he's too large to sit in the front seat but can sit in the back, he's so dark you can barely see him back there. Overall, it's a decent set, not the most exciting at first and underwhelming figures, but the vehicle grew on me quickly. Grade: B / B+

Sigma 6 Mission Scale Street Razor - lame name, nifty toy! Nice deco with no stickers to worry about, it's all painted on, and there are some places like the red insides of the vents that make this sucker pop. Body is a cockpit between a huge rear wheel and 2 pylons in front each with a smaller wheel. Sculpting is just the right amount of detail. On either "hip" at the middle of the vehicle is a clippy peghole that accomodates the 2 blasters - long forks really, but they work visually. The front wheel pylons are also held on with the clippy peghole, and the vehicle is designed to raise up by rotating those pylons down in 2 clicks, the first works while the second you have to remove the rear bumper to use - should be great for anti-aircraft use this way as it's pointing up a lot this way. The cockpit opens from the back, and has a single wide seat with a small control yoke at the front. Main gimmick is 2 pipes leading down to the pylons, press a button and they pop up revealing missile, press it further and they pop up more and launch in a low ballistic angle - keen enough and I like that it doesn't force a launch on the first press. There's also the rear wheel that is a pull-back motor, and on either side near the rear are small, underwhelming fold-out slashers. Figure is Firefly, actually the Joe version but with the Cobra version's colors; he's sporting neck and hip articulation, plus universal-jointed shoulders; he's not preposed at all and fits beautifully in the cockpit sitting slightly forward and able to easily grab the steering yoke. Firefly's white facemask shows through the dark red cockpit windows nicely. Overall, there's not a lot of cross-compatibility with other Mission Scale weapons pieces unlike a lot of the sets in the line, but it stands well on its own as a fun and exciting unusual Cobra vehicle. Grade: A-

JediTricks
03-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Sigma 6 Mission Scale Thunderwave - a set I wouldn't buy at $10, but at $7 that gun has been calling to me so I went for it finally. I dig nifty watercraft, but this is just an inflatable-style raft with a roll cage. The raft has a few mounting points both big and small, nothing fantastic, the roll cage has a few more which is good since the missile launcher can't be mounted on the boat. The raft has tabs to hold the jet ski in place, which takes up most of the raft floor. The jet ski is niftier, it's got an opening hood with engine details inside, 2 sculpted cannons, and 2 small sigma-holes, plus seating for 2 and handgrips on the back. The raft and the jet ski have decent sculpting and paint, and both float. Duke is the swimmy version based on the 8" figure, and it's a good likeness, he's even got his swim-pack thing. Duke sports standard head, shoulder, and hip articulation, plus universal-jointed knees and ankles which is crazy cool. Duke's hands are permanently cupped down for gripping the jet ski's handlebars and rear grips. Accessories include missile launcher and missile, rubbery antenna, small search light, machine gun with removable holder so it can fit into small sigma-pegholes, Duke's backpack/scuba-motor (removable and with usable handles!), the way-too-big torpedo/motor that slides onto the bottom of the raft and takes an AA battery, and the mack-daddy machine gun. The machine gun is a tri-barrel number with a removable ammo belt, it's hinged at the neck and base (which is the larger sigma-peg), and it's just really nifty. Overall, the set is a little better than I expected but still not terribly impressive, there are some fun features and cool ideas that make it more like the main line, but the motor and boat are still underwhelming. Grade: B-

JediTricks
03-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Sigma 6 Grand Slam - wow, this guy got a major update from the RAH line where he was some scrawny dork in goofy red body armor that was just a pack-in with the HAL, now he's big, buff, and sports a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher. The body reuses the upper body from Heavy Duty whom I disliked, but it works better here with the redeco and the shorter legs - the waist assembly is slightly gappy though. The head is a little too similar to Duke - square jawed, short hair, white guy - but comes into his own wearing the helmet (which fits nicely and has a built-on visor). He also sports an elastic-banded bandolier across his chest which is his outfit piece - better than the crazy pants on Heavy Duty (the difference in lower body shape helps further separate these guys visually). GS's weapons include the big rocket launcher with its 3 rockets, 3 shells, removable handle, removable grip, and removable sight - this is a big spring-loaded weapon but it works, it's not too big and the action is cool, pull out the barrel, load a missile, fire and when the missile springs out the barrel recoils and the rear of the gun ejects a shell as the back rotates a little. Just behind the muzzle is a short stand which can slide out, it seems like the figure's knife is designed to slide into place here but there's an obstacle just behind the slide which prevents it. The knife is a basic large hunting knife, it has a removable silver "sheath" which is easily overlooked since it only clips over the edge of the blade and doesn't plug into anything. GS's final weapon is a takeoff on the P90 submachine gun, the gun is a little oddly reshaped and has a big curved clip near the back, GS can't hold it too well since there's a trigger guard and he doesn't have a separated trigger finger unfortunately, I separated the finger and it's a little better but still awkward; the top of the gun has slides for the rocket launcher's removable handle and it makes this gun look much better. It seems like the weapons should have been more interactive, the knife sheath should have had a sigma-peg, the machine gun should have had a peg and removable magazine and fit better, the launcher's sight should have been attachable to the machine gun, and the launcher should have been able to accommodate the knife as a bayonet. Never the less, this is an alright set, a decent addition to the joes, and the weapons all fit in the locker (though it has no foam insert). Grade: B

seanmcfripp
04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I finally scored the newer S6 Soldier wave, at a Boscov's of all places (a department store that's local-ish where I live). I skipped on Hi-Tech, since not a whole lot is new about him, although I'd love to have the i-Pod accessory.

Firefly: Very cool, pretty much what I'd hoped for since the first good guy version came out. His torch staff thingy seems to be the biggest point of criticism among fans, but I happen to like it. With a little imagination, you can almost picture it as an all around tool for saboutage that doubles as a melee weapon. My biggest beef is that it doesn't have a peg to fit into one of the Sigma ports on his back. I feel the same way about the fire gauntlets: cool idea for an accessory, practical as tools or weapons (in a fantastical sort of way), but I wish there was some way to store them on his back or turn the flames "off." I love the two machine guns, and his mask is very cool with the evil white war paint. Not too many pics with the mask off floating around out there, so for anyone looking for a more classic look, the sculpt of his knit balaclava is fantastic. Looks great with the mask on or off. You could knock off points for him not coming with any sabotage specific equiptment (a back pack full of C4 would have been nice), but like I said, with a little imagination, he can still sneak into Joe headquarters and make a mess of things with the gear he has.

Shipwreck: Once again, all I can say is "very cool." The new short and stocky body type used for Shippy is awesome. As a rule, I absolutely hate open mouths on a head scupt, but this is one time where I think it works great. Even if he couldn't hold the knife in his mouth (which he's designed to do in this case), I think the resulting expression on his face is quite appropriate for the character. Lot's of hype around his tatoos, and I'd say the hype is justified, the tats are really that cool. Seems like folks are disappointed by his accessories, but I think they work just fine. With a little imagination his spear gun doubles as a nice pump action something-or-other, which is plenty enough offensive power for a sailor in my book. The sword seemed innapropriate at first, but then when I got him geared up, I could see him doing the pirate thing after boarding some Cobra vessel, shotgun in one hand, sword in the other, laying waste to a couple of dopey B.A.T.s. Maybe I just have pirate fever lately. Oh, and the monkey is way more fun than a parrot. Sorry, Polly.

Wetsuit: Actually ended up being my favorite of the wave, which goes against my initial impressions of the figure when we saw it last fall. I just absolutely love when an action figure does exactly what it was designed to do. He's the resident underwater guy, so my list of expectations is pretty short: Flippers? Check. Underwater breathing apparatus? Check. Underwater spear gun? Check. Knife? Check. It's really almost that easy, and yet so many underwater Joes and Cobras have sucked so hard over the last few years simply by not having the proper equipment. Perhaps not all that military, but his orange color is fantastic and reminds me of the suits they wore in the Sunbow series. Maybe I like Wetsuit so much because I really, really hoped he'd get release after passing on Sea-Ops Duke. I feel like I gambled at Vegas and they had to pay me with a Wetsuit. Here's hoping I win that bet I put on a Snow Job or Frostbite.

Ahhh, Sigma 6...what a great, great line of toys, blending form and function seamlessly. I know a lot of collectors out there collect for different reasons, most of them having little to do with the things we hoard actually being toys. Not the case with me. While I can appreciate artistry almost as much as the next guy, I loves me a good toy that I can actually play with. Sigma 6 scratches me right where I itch. They're sturdy, well articulated, fully accessorized, and choc-ful of play value. Yet they're some of the more stylized and dare I say "artistic" toys out there. Just look at the sculpts on the faces of some of these guys. The first version Firefly's face is just amazing. There's just so much character defining expression going on in that face, it's ridiculous. Don't think that happened by accident, i.e. major kudos to the designers and sculptors on that one. Maybe it's the economy of line and shape that I like so much. The designers achieve so much by doing so little, and it reminds me of what I love so much about a cartoon like Samurai Jack, or a comic strip like Peanuts.

I hope S6 stays around through the 25th Anni stuff. The new Adventure sets look totally cool, and I think dropping the Sigma 6 theme and just going with a more straight forward 8 inch GI Joe brand is going to be liberating and keep the line fresh.

JediTricks
04-10-2007, 05:24 PM
My biggest beef is that it doesn't have a peg to fit into one of the Sigma ports on his back.Yeah, no kidding, they've been lagging on this a lot lately with the accessories! It's one of my biggest annoyances.

I wish there was some way to store them on his back or turn the flames "off."I don't think these need storage, but you're right that they need an "off" mode.

(a back pack full of C4 would have been nice)True dat, but his chest is covered in explosives. :D

Sigma 6 is apparently about to go through a change, Hasbro's going to rename it, keep the basic style but go with more realism in their accessories and tasks. I dunno how well this will go over really.

RooJay
04-11-2007, 01:05 AM
I don't remember if I've said this before or not, but I'd love to see some of the classics done Sigma 6 style! Ya know, just a straight sculpt conversion from the original designs. Dare I say it, I might also be keen to see a small batch of Sigma 6 Star Wars soldier type figures - sort of like the recent (and somewhat similar looking) Force Battlers line! Only, ya know...cooler.

JediTricks
04-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah, Star Wars and Spider-Man both I think would make great ports to this Sigma 6 body design style.

RooJay
04-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm thinking there are plenty of viable soldiery/warrior type characters from Marvel that would fit in quite nicely alongside the Joe Sigma 6 team itself - Captain America, Wolverine, Punisher, Iron Man, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Red Skull, Baron Zemo, Doctor Doom, Blade, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, etc.
I'd buy 'em!

pbarnard
04-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Well it appears that Hasbro is going to do a Q&A with joe sites akin to the Star Wars one. Top question at most sites is when will we get Mace Windu in Artic Attack with Snake Eyes paint variants. Also, there will be a 3.75-4" line sometime into 2008. No word if it is going to be at retail or online.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Steve needs questions, I came up with 3 but forgot to send in the last 2 (whoops).

El Chuxter
04-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Here's a Joe question:

Any chance you'll ever make figures of comics-only characters like Billy, Zanya, Cool Breeze, etc?

pbarnard
04-21-2007, 04:21 PM
A question I've seen is can there be a line if there is no potential to grow it beyond a relatively steady number of adults?

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Here's a Joe question:

Any chance you'll ever make figures of comics-only characters like Billy, Zanya, Cool Breeze, etc?Is this a serious question? I'm totally ignorant on GI Joe comics and you've been yucking it up in the SW Hasbro questions thread in the past. :p If it is real, could you give me any more background to that question so it'll explain itself better to dullards like me?

A question I've seen is can there be a line if there is no potential to grow it beyond a relatively steady number of adults?Interesting question. I'll add it as-is, but think you could buffer it against any sort of "that's why we're doing Sigma 6, for the kids" answer?

El Chuxter
04-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Totally serious. Anyone who's ever read the comics would probably agree with me.

Zanya is Zartan's daughter, a punker girl who makes Zarana look like a wuss.

Cool Breeze was a specialist who died during his first mission, during the Battle of Benzheen. Dead or not, he had one of the coolest character designs ever.

Billy is Cobra Commander's son. A figure of him as a young teen would be worthless, but he trained under Storm Shadow, wears an eyepatch, has one (or is it two?) cybernetic limbs following an attack by Scrap-Iron, and is an auxillary member of the Joe team.

There are others we may not agree on (General Rey, or Kill Count), but I think everyone would be happy with those three.

pbarnard
04-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Is this a serious question? I'm totally ignorant on GI Joe comics and you've been yucking it up in the SW Hasbro questions thread in the past. :p If it is real, could you give me any more background to that question so it'll explain itself better to dullards like me?

Interesting question. I'll add it as-is, but think you could buffer it against any sort of "that's why we're doing Sigma 6, for the kids" answer?

First question is probably serious given the EU character requests in SW and asked by about every joe site too ;)

As to my question, this Q&A was supposedly directed at 3.75" sites, not S6.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Chux, thanks for the background. I welcome any expansion you have to the question, even if you think folks won't agree on them.

Paul, dunno how I didn't think of putting that in, it was such an easy answer. :p Right-o.

More questions are welcome, VERY welcome really, Steve has only me helping on this which is essentially no help at all.

El Chuxter
04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
General Rey = cloned Serpentor who apparently is led to believe he is a new GIJoe commander. I could care less.

Kill-Count (I think that's the name) = the SAW Viper who killed most of the casualties from the Battle of Benzheen and was killed by Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow ("You're gonna fight me with just knives? Haw!"), only to be needlessly resurrected by Devil's Due.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Wow, General Rey sounds really super lame! (BTW, if you are interested in running the Joe section of AF, let Steve know)

Dominic Guglieme
04-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Zanya was rumoured/promised shortly before the change over to Sigma 6. Given that this was about 2 years back, we can rule out Zanya.

No slight to Billy, but for all of the comic only characters, I would rather have one that would be a more difficult conversion. (Start with an old Storm Shadow, and go from there.)

Why Coolbreeze at all? He was a bit character from an over-hyped story.

General Rey is an easy conversion, but I would like an official one. (Rey is one of my favorite comic only character at all.) Read the "Emperor's New Clothes" and "Phoenix Guard" arcs.

Kill-count=Overkill. The confusion is understandable, given the phrasing in the explication panel that identified him. The resurrection was not bad. It was thematically consistent with the arc it happened in. (The arc was all about fame and reputation, so what better character to use than one that had no name, but was still known? The being un-killable only ads to that.) Overkill is a realistic one to lobby for. Essentially, Over-kill was a re-colored SAW-viper. Given how anemic the old SAW-viper looked, Hasbro could do with a new set of tooling for a troop-builder no less. (The DTC line could easily support either figure, and this would yield 2 figures from one set of tooling.)

I could go for any of the Jugglers. Or, howabout.....General Hollingsworth? Doctor Venom? A good Qwinn figure? Any of the Arashikage elders......Zartan in Arashikage garb. White Clown, Orvolovsky, Magda? El Jefe? (Yes, I know some of these would be easy conversions, but hey, Hasbro is unlikely to make any of them.....)

El Chuxter
04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
White Clown? That would be a damned cool figure.

Daemon and Firewall could be cool possibilities, as would the Red Shadows.

As for Cool Breeze, I just think he looks cool, albeit a bit dated.

Dominic Guglieme
04-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Most of our ideas were dated.

CB bugged me just because he was such a minor character from a forgettable arc.

Daemon and Firewall are not good prospects. (You could always make Firewall out of Bombshell though.) Fans are divided on them, and Daemon is pretty well dead.

Clown, Magda and Orvolovsky would be a perfect 3 pack. Maybe a circus trunk for an accessory? Or, if Hasbro wants to skip Orvolovsky, maybe make Metz.

Hmmmm......civilian Jinx would also be nice.

Cobra Commander as John Lennon appeals, but would be dated on multiple levels.

RooJay
04-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Okay, I already know the answer to these ones, but since we seem hard up for questions:

1- Any chance of a re-release of any of the vintage RAH vehicles down the line?

2- Any possibility we could see a new Zartan done with the color change feature the original had?

3- Is there a chance we might see some troop builder sets featuring Cobra Infantry, Officers, Vipers, etc. similar to the Star wars battle-packs at some point?

4- With reports that the 'legends'/vintage line will be continuing into 2008, is the aim here to reproduce all (or as many as interest in the line dictates) of the original characters in the new style, or might we expect at some point to see all new characters and new versions of old characters from this line?

5- Is there a definite terminus planned for this line, or is the plan to continue the line as long as interest holds?

RooJay
04-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Zanya was rumoured/promised shortly before the change over to Sigma 6. Given that this was about 2 years back, we can rule out Zanya.

I seem to recall having seen a pretty decent Zanya prototype awhile back. Although, it's possible that I might be confusing the figure I saw with a Zarana prototype.

Dominic Guglieme
04-24-2007, 10:11 AM
They may well have been the same toy. Zanya being a recolor.

I never saw pics, but I recall talk of a Zanya figure about 3 years back.

pbarnard
04-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Saw this.
http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?p=267828#post267828

Answers from various collected sites. Could everyone not ask the same question (proving that there aren't enough joe collectors to probably keep the product going)?

RooJay
04-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Ooh! Ooh! I thought of another one:

Wil we be seeing the return of the filecards with the anniversary line, and if so will they be new or reprinted from the originals?

pbarnard
04-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Ooh! Ooh! I thought of another one:

Wil we be seeing the return of the filecards with the anniversary line, and if so will they be new or reprinted from the originals?

Answered. Plus all 3.75" figures have had file cards.

Saw this.
http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?p=267828#post267828

Answers from various collected sites. Could everyone not ask the same question (proving that there aren't enough joe collectors to probably keep the product going)?

JediTricks
04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=20&p2_articleid=1247

Man, I feel like my 4 questions on AF got obliterated, it's wise for me to not be the one in charge of the future of this. I firmly believe you guys are far better choices to take this over.

I really hate those "the sky's the limit" answers that the other sites got, what a kick in the teeth.

I'm kinda bummed the 2.5" Mission Scale line is ending.