PDA

View Full Version : The Unseen Queen

mastermatt24
10-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey guys- heres a coupon for Borders, so you can go buy the book if you havent already: http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/092805b_coupon.html
:)

El Chuxter
10-04-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm a few chapters in. I like the twists with the bug subplot, but I want them to hurry up and get back to the real story: Luke, Leia, Padme, and R2-D2!!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Bought it today; like the cover (except for the graying temples in Leia's hair). Will be starting it, after I finish Oedipus at Colonus. *

* The Athenian Post calls it the "feel-bad book of the year!" The Spartan Times gives it "II thumbs down." The Philippi Sun Times says "if you only read one play where the father is actually the brother too and the children/siblings turn their backs on him as he wanders blind," make it this one!"

mastermatt24
10-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Bought it today; like the cover (except for the graying temples in Leia's hair).
I think the grey fits- heck shes like OLD now.
Anyone know the releaese date for the chronogly guide?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2005, 07:49 AM
I think the grey fits- heck shes like OLD now.
Anyone know the releaese date for the chronogly guide?That's my point. I liked the semi-frozen-in-time aspect of Star Wars EU. This just reminds me that canes should replace lightsabers and the cantina bar would be a pharmacy counter. :( Not to say that old people are useless, of course...

Sorry, can't find info on your second point.

mastermatt24
10-08-2005, 05:58 PM
This just reminds me that canes should replace lightsabers and the cantina bar would be a pharmacy counter.
LOL!

Sorry, can't find info on your second point.
I found this by accident http://theforce.net/books/bookschedule.asp So I know its out in October. I was just curious because I have another coupon for Borders, and I just realized that I might get that new chronicles book when it comes out- I just have to wait for one of those 25% off coupons :evil:
EDIT: I found out about it: http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/news20050802.html

El Chuxter
10-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Holy crap in a hat, there is all sorts of stuff hitting the fan in this series. And some crap about giant bugs or something.

Grandpa Han!?!?!? :eek:

mastermatt24
10-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Im confused- did you finsh the book or something?

El Chuxter
10-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Not finished yet, but Jacen + Tenel Ka = as yet unnamed baby. Therefore, Han is a grandpappy.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Holy crap in a hat, there is all sorts of stuff hitting the fan in this series. And some crap about giant bugs or something.

Grandpa Han!?!?!? :eek:I had a similar reaction, because I was reading it in class, and the bell to end the silent reading period ended just as that detail was revealed to Jacen. The "bugs" story is worthless to me so far, but the "other" stuff is great. I am getting sick real fast of the "new" use of the Force; Mr. Lucas is signing off on this "dark side feelings are okay" aspect? :confused:

El Chuxter
10-15-2005, 03:57 PM
I think this mini-series is going to turn into a way to bring the New Jedi Order back to the good old view of Dark Side and Light Side. Luke's constant qualms with the proper usage of the Force seem to working toward some kind of epiphany in DN3: The Swarm War.

It would not at all surprise me if Jacen dies in the next book, or is at the least shown disastrous consequences of his usage of the Force. He and Raynar UnuThul seem to be the major obstacles to Luke's crusade to bring back the (literal) good old days of the Jedi.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Here's the tale of the tape...

GOOD -
Luke's increasing knowledge of his family
Jacen's new revelation (and I don't mean his "vision;" that's so dull and predictable)

BAD -
The whole story (I am quite lost)
Where the stang is Lando?!? :mad: They mention him frequently, but he's never around!
The stupid Jedi battle meld

THE HUH?!? -
Leia is now a stronger Jedi than Corran Horn? :confused: (when did she get so adept?)
Was there an "unseen queen" anywhere?

"I have a bad feeling about this [this series]." I have only two words for this book, directed to El Chuxter:
Ewok
lightsaber
;)

InsaneJediGirl
11-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Okay.I got the book Saturday and finished it. The Unseen Queen was okay...but I mean there was alot of stuff left out and quite...stupid.

The Jedi arent even Jedi to me,just whiny brats who cant decide to actually step up and be Jedi.Galactic Alliance seems useless and the Killiks can be killed with some Raid.

Bel-Cam,I was thinking the Unseen Queen was Lomi or refrence to Jacens baby? Speaking off,the baby wasnt named,so I am thinking she will be killed off and Jacen will go crazier.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-17-2005, 01:40 AM
Ugghh! It took everything I had to get through this "thing"! I like Troy Denning alot, but this book was just plain dumb! They need to come up with some kind of new "somethingorothers" to fight or something just totally DIFFERENT! I look forward to Timothy Zahn's Outbound Flight and the new Vader book coming out at the end of this month...but this series is just plain awful!

El Chuxter
11-17-2005, 09:17 AM
It seems like it's being stretched out more than necessary, but I thought it was still a pretty good read. It's not going to make my list of faves, but it's certainly no Crystal Star.

I took the "Unseen Queen" to be Lomi.

mastermatt24
12-18-2005, 10:46 PM
So... Whens the final one coming out? I heard December, but its half way through the month already, and no book. Anyone know?

El Chuxter
12-19-2005, 12:04 AM
Amazon.com says December 27th.

mastermatt24
12-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Alright.. Thanks chux.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2006, 04:05 PM
I think this mini-series is going to turn into a way to bring the New Jedi Order back to the good old view of Dark Side and Light Side. Luke's constant qualms with the proper usage of the Force seem to working toward some kind of epiphany in DN3: The Swarm War.

It would not at all surprise me if Jacen dies in the next book, or is at the least shown disastrous consequences of his usage of the Force. He and Raynar UnuThul seem to be the major obstacles to Luke's crusade to bring back the (literal) good old days of the Jedi.You are quite close, Chuxter. I just finished The Swarm War, and it was yet another "eh" book in the SW EU. There were a few surprises, one that really got me (and was never specifically clarified after the fact), but for the most part, the story was a standard story.

1. Galaxy-wide threat, one which could be the worst the "heroes of the New Jedi Order" (I cringe when I read that line on the cover) have ever faced.
2. Some heroes take their sides in this conflict, and must work separately to achieve the wanted goal.
3. Eventually the heroes come together and things are "just right," like in Goldilocks.
3a. There are still some doubts, which will only serve to confuse the readers.

That's this trilogy in a nutshell.

Some details:
- Lando speaks in this book! (as a droid, but it's the closest Calrissian sighting in a long time).
- There might be a return to the way things used to be in the pre-NJO era.
- I am still tired of the Jedi battle meld and how powerful the lesser Jedi have become, compared to the "old ways."
- Decent way to integrate the info we learned in ROTS, not too cheesy.
- This could be the last book chronologically, as the aging heroes will be less believable as active fighters in their 60s and 70s. But I doubt it.

El Chuxter
01-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I just finished The Swarm War....

Gah!! I got that far and stopped reading. I'm about halfway through and still think the same thing I've thought all along: This is a great short story about Luke finally finding out his mother's identity, with an average trilogy of subplot about giant bugs woven throughout.

I am totally sick of those stupid Squibs, and if something doesn't happen to both Zekk and Jaina to put some sense into their heads soon, I hope they both get killed by the Chiss. Having Jaina turn into such a weak-willled pansy is downright insulting to Han and Leia.