PDA

View Full Version : So there I was at the supermarket and suddenly I realised...

JEDIpartner
10-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Oh, crap!! I got in Shirley's lane!! Honestly, when I went up to the cash-wrap, I was hoping to have a nice, quick experience but, no, instead I get Shirley, the bitter cashier.

She is SO completely unfriendly. Yes, the word "b*tch" does come to mind when one encounters Shirley. She's an old, white-haired woman who clearly doesn't want to be there. She purses her lips and furrows her brow at each and every person who comes up to the cash-wrap. Don't try to be nice to her. She'll just ignore you. God forbid you have something that's rather delicate in your order. Why? Shirley doesn't graciously place each item on the belt. She snatches it up off the loader side, scans it and then throws it down to the catch. You can only hope that a bagger comes by to assist because Shirley tends to just jam everything into the bag regardless of the sharp corners or edges that may come into contact with something like produce, bagged deli items or eggs. Oh, the humanity! Hey, I paid for that!!!! Poor Shirley. I can only imagine she has to attend to the needs of her miserable little grandchildren from time to time. Can you see her handling THOSE delicates? From the floor to the playpen never seemed like such a hostile journey. Poor babies.

Poor Shirley.

Poor Shoppers.

bobafrett
10-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Well, I cannot sympathize with you JP, as I was a "Shirley" today, at least for a few hours. I was angry because my Wal-Mart understaffed, and is understaffed almost every single freaking Sunday. I show up each and every Sunday, while others seem to call off. Anyway, I end up getting called out to cover sporting goods, which also means having to cover hardware, automotive and toys. You get all sorts of questions from people, and when you spend 99% of your time working in a warehouse, you are basically clueless as to what and where things are in the department, especially when the department has been remodeled since the last time you worked out there. You feel stupid, which leads to anger, which leads to an angry growl to each and every person that walks past your department.

JEDIpartner
10-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Yeah, but, see-- you aren't Shirley everyday. And, as someone who has 12 years of retail experience as a cashier, team leader and a keyholder, I have to say that that sort of behaviour is unacceptible. It's your job, for God's sake and it reflects poorly on you and your store.

Yeah... those were the good old days when people kept up appearances for the sake of good customer service.

Anyhow, the thread was meant to be slightly humourous. :rolleyes:

InsaneJediGirl
10-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Maybe Shirely just needs a drink :D :crazed:

JimJamBonds
10-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Maybe Shirely just needs a drink :D :crazed:

Maybe the problem was that Shirely WAS drinking? :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-03-2005, 12:24 PM
yeah, c'mon Boba! I'm a WM monkey too (Department of Electronical Contraptions) and I get SOOOOOO many dumb questions, daily. I got three, count them, three people yesterday asking if we carry Dell laptops (we don't) and then they'd ask, "well, do you know where a dell store is?" HOW IN THE SAMMEST OF ALL THAT IS HOLY would i know that?!?!? Hey, it's called a phone book kids, use it to your greatest advantage!!! I politely replied that I really didn't know where one was.... but regardless of the retardation of random folks and their idiocy, you take it with a grain of salt. Grin and bear it, big guy!! Be happy you're warehouse and don't deal with people day in and day out. If I have one more person ask me where a Dell store is, i might go Samurai Deliticassen on them. :crazed:

and as for Shirley JP, you should try to work some magic on her. Granted, i know your orientation and whatnot, but it'd be a HUGE freakin' laugh if you lowered your voice, winked at her and were like, "so, what ya doin' later????" heheheehehehehehehe :thumbsup:

2-1B
10-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Old people smell funny.

Guyute, I'm well aware that there are TONS of stupid consumers out there so I don't blame you for getting irritated, but I've run into so many stupid employees at these stores and I'd call it a push. Believe me, as a customer of these places I hate the stupid people probably as much as you workers do. :D

JEDIpartner
10-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Amen to that!! I can't tell you how many times I read the riot act to a customer who snapped at a co-worker for no apparent reason. I'm sorry, we're not robots. We all have bad days. Unfortunately, we can't go around dumping that on the customers 'cos that's just not right. Heck, even now, if I see a customer getting out of hand with a cashier for something the cashier has nothing to do with, I start yappin' up the customer!

JimJamBonds
10-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Amen to that!! I can't tell you how many times I read the riot act to a customer who snapped at a co-worker for no apparent reason. I'm sorry, we're not robots. We all have bad days. Unfortunately, we can't go around dumping that on the customers 'cos that's just not right. Heck, even now, if I see a customer getting out of hand with a cashier for something the cashier has nothing to do with, I start yappin' up the customer!

So the customer isn't always right? ;) I've had to deal with plenty of these types of people on the phone at my work as well. You just can't please them all. :yes:

Jargo
10-03-2005, 04:46 PM
I get really annoyed when anyone else tries to bag stuff for me. i have an order and a way of packing so nothing gets bashed or crushed. and makes it easy to unpack and store away.

My problem is usually older cashiers trying to work some chat up line on me. I guess i have a mid life crisis menopausal woman attraction device embedded inside me. The times I've been leered at and given 'that' look. it's quite nauseating really.

I can't wait for the day when you go to the store and just pick items off a computer screen and it all comes down a line ready scanned and accumulates at the end of the belt for you to pack. I hate hate hate shopping for groceries. all you need is a big warehouse and a line of touch sensitive monitors out front with conveyor belts coming from the warehouse. i don't see a need for all that floorspace and convoluted aisles set up. do away with the shopping carts altogether. and the cashiers. just need a little card swiping machine and keypad for your pin number. And i guess as a concession you COULD have a couple of hard cash only terminals but we're all gonna end up with plastic money eventually so why bother with the cash. Semi-automated is the way to go. If stores did away with all the excessive shoppiness of stores then they could aford to keep better produce for the consumers.

And they should only play annoying muzak near closing time so people hurry up and get out. There is nothing more depressing than the stuff they pipe into grocery stores. How is that supposed to make your shopping trip better? you can never identify the music and it just bugs the hell out of you the whole time.

Better still just do away with public access points altogether and have all stores online. with no staff on the floor and a few drivers and mainly packers they could keep delivery charges to a minimum. Then you wouldn't ever have to visit a damn store.

yeah tear em all down and hide the warehouses away behind some tall trees. Make it all go away........

Jargo
10-03-2005, 04:48 PM

MMM MMM MMM! You go girl! :whip:

JEDIpartner
10-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Awww... who could blame them for thinking you're a cutie??!! :)

Do you shop at Iceland much? I hear it can be a real nightmare at specific ones.

Jargo
10-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Strangely no. I find the airfare gets a bit costly........

hehehe.

I'm actually banned from going near grocery stores now. t'other half says I fill the shopping cart with too much junk. My grasp on budgets is a little shakey.
And just you try and drag me past the bargain cut price DVD's an CD's.....

My mum knows the guy who started the Iceland business. She says he's a right *******. But then my mum is a conservative old trout so i don't pay much attention to what she says. There again, I never like to get her ****ed atme by arguing, she used to work for a pharmacist and knows which poisons do what and which ones are virtually untraceable.....

I digress as usual.

OOOH another thing that ticks me off about stores is the (un)help(ful) desks, where the staff seem to have no idea how to even acces the computer stock systems let alone know anything about store policy or stock locations. and seem to spend most of their time chatting to store security or using the tannot system to call some superior or colleague to come do their job for them. And take malicious joy from cutting up peoples refused credit cards.

a little power in the hands of the stupid is a very nasty thing.....

JEDIpartner
10-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Ooooh... your mum knows a real live entrepeneur! Woooooo... ;)

If you did fly to the real Iceland, you'd no doubt encounter one Bjork Gundmundsdottir, who is likely to shake up your shopping experience a bit.

Yes, a little power in the hands of the stupid IS a very nasty thing. Look at our goverment in the States!!!