PDA

View Full Version : What Colour Should The EP2 Cards Be?

GNT
08-16-2001, 02:15 AM
What Colour Should The EP2 Cards Be?

Maybe a blue colour?

Thoughts?

Darth Cruel
08-16-2001, 02:31 AM
Oh My God! I am tired of them changing the cards. I hope the card stays as it is forever! But I have already read that there is supposed to be some big idea (this is a rumor) to bring the name back th Star Wars being kicked around. If THIS is the last change done...I will be satisfied as I think the only decent name for the line is Star Wars. No secondary name like Star Wars: Episode II...just Star Wars.

Rollo Tomassi
08-16-2001, 03:28 AM
I would love blue! But I remember a discussion some time ago about how it was a poor marketing color, so I doubt we'll ever see it. I just thought blue looked so cool on the Episode I MM packaging.

I agree they should just keep the single banner of Star Wars.

JEDIpartner
08-16-2001, 02:27 PM
Not Yellow!

the master jedi
08-16-2001, 03:07 PM
I want them to be either blue or purple.

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 05:00 PM
Since I am a designer of said products, it has long been determined that bold colors such as red and orange make for eyecatching pieces whereas blue is considered a "COOL" color and tended to be looked over. I noticed this myself when I saw that the action fleet boxes seemed to stay on the shelves forever.
What I would like to see is a purple type of color but again this is considered "COOL" so it porbably won't happen (I know I know Shadows of the Empire had this color and it seemed to work for that line because of the shadow implication) but not with the major toy line. I happen to Like the green that is in current use. Although this is a "COOL" color it is leaning to the "HOT side and also signifies go in traffic lights which subconciously tell us to "GO" ahead and by it.

Your thoughts?

12inch Lando
08-16-2001, 07:05 PM
How about an inverse of the curent cards. A mostly white card with green highlights. I don't think that would look too bad.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 02:15 AM
I bet they'll be orange or green. I'm not saying I love that idea, I'm just saying that's what I think they'll be.

GNT
08-17-2001, 03:54 AM
To check out the old version of this thread at the old SSG forums just click here (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=18&PID=1392)

evenflow
08-17-2001, 09:17 AM
I think they should just leave it as it is. If they have to change it, then maybe a purple red color.

Eternal Padawan
08-17-2001, 05:43 PM
And I seem to remember Rollo Tomassi also saying that the name Star Wars on the packaging would be enough to cancel out any negative marketing effects associated with the color blue. The REAL Rollo Tomassi that is...

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 03:48 AM
Sure conventional wisdom says don't use "cool" colors like blue and purple, but what has Hasbro's conventional wisdom brought us so far? Monkey-Face Leia that's what.

Screw the conventions, this is Star Wars!

Star Wars doesn't follow trends, it creates trends!! So, show some confidence in your liscense Hasbro and dare to be different!

12inch Lando
08-18-2001, 10:46 AM
How about plad or purple polka dots? That would be different. Whatever they do I truely think that they should return to the vintage black cards to round out the series after episode III. They could call it the "All good things come to an end" line.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 06:21 PM
Agreed, less flashy graphics and larger character photos.

Eternal Padawan
08-19-2001, 10:42 AM
If everybody used RED, then when you walked into TRU or Wal-mart there would be a big shade of red on the shelves and no one would be able to differentiate. But I seem to remember, all different kinds of colours in the toy aisles, so maybe thats not true. And Green is a 'cool' color, so the POTJ line must not be selling so well...Oh wait. Everybody is clamoring for those aren't they? I think blue will do just fine as long as it says STAR WARS on it somewhere.

Jedi Clint
08-20-2001, 01:50 AM
Blue would be nice.

BenQuad
08-20-2001, 09:50 AM
Gotta say my money is on red/orange again..... but blue would be kinda cool though.

Jargo
08-20-2001, 08:58 PM
Very deep blue with black accents and a striking white logo with a paler blue halo. No picture in the corner. No picture on the card just the character name and the figure in a bubble.

You all hate me don't you? I can tell.... it's the way you all stare at me with those withering glares. :rolleyes:

Magnolia-Fan
08-25-2001, 04:51 PM
They should be brown.

Lobito
09-04-2001, 06:25 PM
I bet they are going to change the card, now i think that blue would be my winner, but the tone of Luke's Lightsaber. Or maybe plain black.

GNT
09-07-2001, 03:09 AM
Maybe that Dark/light Blue colour of Jango suit if his on the card?

JediCole
09-25-2001, 01:24 PM
I think a blue or purple would be striking, despite marketing wisdom of avoiding these "cool" colors. As has been pointed out, Star Wars is all you need to sell the brand. Hasbro is not marketing facial tissue, cosmetics, or mouthwash. This is Star Wars! This brand would sell with pink packaging (though perhaps not as well). I doubt Hasbro is as worried about hot and cold colors as they are about how the color will contrast with the bulk of the figures in the line. And how it will work with the package corner character or characters.
I had seen some custom cards for Episode I back before the figure release that were done in shades of blue (dark to light) that were quite striking. The fact that Micro Machines warmed pegs was not a result of blue cards but because much of the line stunk and you only got two ships and NO STANDS with the standard MM packs.

GNT
10-24-2001, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Blue would be nice.

Well BLUE YOU'VE got!!!!!

Jedi Clint
10-24-2001, 01:32 AM
Indeed!! And it even has a bit of retro-detail which I had been hoping for as well! :)

Eternal Padawan
10-24-2001, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Very deep blue with black accents and a striking white logo with a paler blue halo. No picture in the corner. No picture on the card just the character name and the figure in a bubble.

You all hate me don't you? I can tell.... it's the way you all stare at me with those withering glares. :rolleyes:

Wow. Blue. White logo. No picture in the corner. We've got Nostradamus here in the forums and didn't even know it...;)

master jedi
10-24-2001, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

Wow. Blue. White logo. No picture in the corner. We've got Nostradamus here in the forums and didn't even know it...;)

I'm scared. And my pants are washable.

Jargo
10-24-2001, 05:30 PM
?????????????????? Very spooky I must say. :eek: It grows on me thisnew design does. I hated it at first because I wanted dark blue but the shade is definately growing on me.

Still very spooky though...

GNT
10-25-2001, 02:49 AM
Very Spooky :eek: :eek: :eek:

evenflow
10-25-2001, 08:59 AM
Well, I guess we are stuck with blue.

2-1B
05-09-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Since I am a designer of said products, it has long been determined that bold colors such as red and orange make for eyecatching pieces whereas blue is considered a "COOL" color and tended to be looked over. I noticed this myself when I saw that the action fleet boxes seemed to stay on the shelves forever.
What I would like to see is a purple type of color but again this is considered "COOL" so it porbably won't happen (I know I know Shadows of the Empire had this color and it seemed to work for that line because of the shadow implication) but not with the major toy line. I happen to Like the green that is in current use. Although this is a "COOL" color it is leaning to the "HOT side and also signifies go in traffic lights which subconciously tell us to "GO" ahead and by it.

Your thoughts?
So far it looks like it's what is on the card that counts - slap a Dooku in the blister and away it goes! :D

What does everyone think now that we have them on the pegs?
Myself, I love the BLUE ! ! !
:)

Dak Powers
05-09-2002, 12:56 AM
Whoa, you just brought up a topic dead for half a year. Congrats! And I hope you don't mind my sig countering your sig!

Beast
05-09-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
So far it looks like it's what is on the card that counts - slap a Dooku in the blister and away it goes! :D
What does everyone think now that we have them on the pegs?
Myself, I love the BLUE ! ! !
:)
Yeah, and just wait til they stick those wonderful Imperial Dignitaries on the card. Then they will be even better. Gotta love evil old british people. :D

I love the color and design of the card as well, Caesar. Looks a heck of alot better then the POTJ cards. And tons better then those hideous E1 cards. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jedi master sal
05-09-2002, 09:43 AM
Although this is still the standard for marketing (hot and cool colors), Star Wars seems to transcend this. I very much like the design. It definitely has a retro look and isn't cluttered up by graphics but relies on the SW logo and the figure itself, as it should.

I don't like the vehicle/ships box design though. Too many graphics when a "window" would have done the job. (like we've had in the past) This design though for the vehicle/ships is more economical for hasbro as they don't have to pay for what is called a "die" cut, (the area cut out for the plastic window), and for the plastic and adhesive for the plastic.

stormie
05-09-2002, 01:28 PM
I initially liked the new design and color; however, it's really giving me problems in the stores. They blend too well with the other toy lines! Lots of other toys are the same blue or other cooler colors. It takes me a lot longer to search the pegs looking for an elusive mis-pegged figure. The old POTJ motif made searching a whole lot easier. Just my two cents. :)

bigbarada
05-09-2002, 01:35 PM
By far, my favorite card design since the line has been resurrected. The original orange POTF2 cards looked like a cheap knock-off line, same with the green cards and SOTE cards. Ep1 cards were too busy and POTJ cards were that nausea inducing shade of green. These new blue cards are wonderful in their simplicity, it makes me happy to collect carded figs again. I would've still preferred an update of the vintage cards; but this new design is the next best thing.

JEDIpartner
05-09-2002, 01:48 PM
"Blue... blue the cards are blue. Blue like the way they paint up Artoo."

or the original French version...

"Bleu... bleu les cartes sont bleus. Bleu comme petit Artoo est bleu."

I love the blue cards. They rock.

El Chuxter
10-26-2009, 01:15 PM
They should have been brown: the color of crap.