PDA

View Full Version : Wally World Done for the Year?

Captain Spoon
10-04-2005, 08:30 AM
I was at my local Wal*Mart yesterday to hunt for figures and the only figure they had was the New Nemodian Commander so I picked it up. I had the Dept. manager scan the figure with the Telzon thing to see how many more were coming in and all it showed was one case on the way and the item was marked as Non-Replenishable!!!. Does this mean that Wal*Mart will not have ROTS figures for the Holidays????!!!!!

DarkArtist
10-04-2005, 09:37 AM
I hope not cause that would truly suck. I'm still hunting for the Tarkin Wave and the last 12. If the stores are only going to get one case of the figures that means either scalper prices or worse. I hate when companies do this. They have a toy that will fly off the shelves and they order 1 of it. :upset:

El Chuxter
10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I was expecting lots of stuff at this Toylnad thing KH was talking about. :p But nothing. Just Neimoidian Warriors, a Pilot Obi-Wan, and some tumbleweeds. :(

Mandalorian Candidat
10-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Usually, towards the end of a line the figure availability peters out. I could never find the last few of the POTF2 CT line (Motti, Leia, Vader, Stormie) and only got what I did through ebay and a TRU clearance. The same happened with EP1 (Sio Bibble wave, Swimming Jar Jar, TC-14) and POTJ (Zutton, Eeth Koth, the conehead astromech droid). Look at the OTC series also. Where the hell were those 2005 figures like the sandtrooper? I won't be surprised if we'll have to scramble to find the 501st clones also.

Slicker
10-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I hear every bit of that Man Can. Although I have been lucky enough to find all of the end of the line figures at retail.

As for WM being done for the year I really hope not. I've found at least 75% of my ROTS figs at WM. If they go down I may have to depend on TRU for my figs. *shudder*

trandoshan666
10-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeah, that's some pretty distressing news, because like most collectors out there, I've found a huge percentage of my ROTS figures at Wal-Mart. :mad:

mikey1974
10-04-2005, 09:26 PM
i believe this to be true.......haven't seen anything new in weeks there....and even the clones are staring to pegwarm....i really don't expect to find any of the last 12 there.....

bobafrett
10-04-2005, 11:53 PM
I was suprised today to see the former department manager of toys (was demoted) straightening out the Star Wars isle. She had seperated the pegs by Collection 1 and collection 2. We had a ton of collection 1 figures, had very few collection 2 figures, and she was ordering some collection 2, so I hope that this is not the fate of Wal-Marts SW figure inventory.

Kidhuman
10-05-2005, 12:02 AM
It is because WM can not order directly from Hasbro. They get shipped figures direct. Thats why it says non replenishable.

thestarwarsman
10-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Walmart is also adjusting for the holiday season. I wouldn't worry to much I am confident they will be plenty for holiday's.

Blue2th
10-05-2005, 08:06 PM
I hope they can sell all the peg warmers I've seen at all my local Walmart These things are literally bulging out on the racks. Some of these figures are included in with the new figure cases. I see Hasbro reconfiguring the assortments or face cancellations from Walmart if they can't sell existing stock.

thestarwarsman
10-05-2005, 09:05 PM
I hope they can sell all the peg warmers I've seen at all my local Walmart These things are literally bulging out on the racks. Some of these figures are included in with the new figure cases. I see Hasbro reconfiguring the assortments or face cancellations from Walmart if they can't sell existing stock.

Excellent point I had not even considered cancellations from Walmart. It would be interesting on what kind of ripple effect that would have.

Knightfall
10-14-2005, 12:39 PM
I've heard a rumor (only a RUMOR) that Wal-Mart's getting out of the toy business except for Christmastime. This might be a credible rumor for three reasons:
1) WM seems to hardly ever get new toy stock (the exception being the ROTS-mania this past spring and summer, when new figures were a pretty common occurance--other than that, well, let's just say my WM still has Marvel Legends 6 in abundance).
2)They're making a big deal out of this Toyland thing, which is coincidentally happening at the same time as a slight price decrease on all of their toys--effectively, the entire toy department will be on clearance.
3)WM's warehouse arm Sam's Club operates this way already, having decided that they don't make enough on toys through the whole year to justify carrying them--it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine the parent company following suit.
I heard this from my KB Toys manager, who heard it from his District Sales Manager, who communicates directly with the bigwigs of the company (who seemingly have nothing better to do than spy on the competition). Baseless speculation? I guess we'll find out in January.

jedi master sal
10-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I've heard a rumor (only a RUMOR) that Wal-Mart's getting out of the toy business except for Christmastime. This might be a credible rumor for three reasons:
1) WM seems to hardly ever get new toy stock (the exception being the ROTS-mania this past spring and summer, when new figures were a pretty common occurance--other than that, well, let's just say my WM still has Marvel Legends 6 in abundance).
2)They're making a big deal out of this Toyland thing, which is coincidentally happening at the same time as a slight price decrease on all of their toys--effectively, the entire toy department will be on clearance.
3)WM's warehouse arm Sam's Club operates this way already, having decided that they don't make enough on toys through the whole year to justify carrying them--it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine the parent company following suit.
I heard this from my KB Toys manager, who heard it from his District Sales Manager, who communicates directly with the bigwigs of the company (who seemingly have nothing better to do than spy on the competition). Baseless speculation? I guess we'll find out in January.

This can be both a good AND bad thing. For one, TRU might pick up some more business and stay in business. But it also means one less place to find new stuff, making it harder to find stuff. Though we might save gas if we don't have to check WM for toys

Also, not just Hasbro, but all of teh toy manufacturers would suffer quite a bit. Wal*Mart is a HUGE purchaser. Them getting out of the game will undoubtedly drive up prices on EVERY toy. SO not only will it be harder to find SW stuff, but now more expensive too...

Wal*Mart the neccessary evil...