PDA

View Full Version : Mace Windu innards

jlw
10-06-2005, 10:20 PM
I am attempting to make a custom articulated Mace Windu using the ROTS Mace and the Jedi Council Mace legs & soft goods skirt. When I took the ROTS Mace apart I thought it would be neat to scan the parts to show you what the innards of these "action" figures look like, in case anyone else decides to customize any of these.

When the legs are squeezed the white cog in the middle of the pelvis turns, which turns the upper torso, but the arms are joined together by a cog which has gears that are locked into the big white cog. So, when the torso turns it causes the arms to raise. Its actually quite simple.

Anyway I hope I can get the parts to interchange, I like to keep from painting action figures whenever possible.

jlw
10-06-2005, 10:49 PM
O.K. I just took apart the ROTS Mace pelvis and all the mechanics, and the legs off the Jedi Council Mace DO WORK in the ROTS pelvis!! The right leg slips up and down (if you make it) due to the sleeve cut in the joint, but other than that the legs work fine. The legs from the Jedi Council Mace are a different color than the torso of the ROTS Mace, but it doesn't matter its not gonna be seen. I'm gonna cut the "skirt" of the ROTS Mace leaving only the belt and the two "tails" in front with the "soft goods" skirt from the Jedi Coucil Mace underneath it. When its all done, I'll post an image.

jlw
10-07-2005, 05:45 AM
In order to get the arms to work right, I had to glue the "action" mechanism inside the torso of Mace. I cut off the bottom of the cog that goes into the pelvis, and glued it in place. I let the glue dry overnight to make sure it was cured. If I didn't put the gear/cog back into the torso, then the arms would have been limp. The sockets to the arms have little pegs that push into the cog that joins the shoulders together. This enables the arms to move together when the ROTS Mace's legs are squeezed together, and also allows you to move each are separately.

jlw
10-07-2005, 06:05 AM
And here is the final figure! Sorry about the quality of the image, my scanner is not the best. The only problem with the figure is that with having the soft goods skirt under the plastic belt of the ROTS figure, it puts pressure on the hip joint, so it is real hard (almost impossible) to turn the figures torso on the pelvis. Not really that big of an issue to me. So long as he has super articulated arms and knee joints I'm happy.

"Which lightsaber is yours?"

Mace replies, "Its the one that says 'Bad Mother F******'!"

jedi master sal
10-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Cripes! No wonder it cost so much for figs. Those mechanics are NOT needed Hasbro. You can EASILY make Super Articulation figures for cheaper than these gimmick one-play wonder figures!

mastermatt24
10-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Looks A LOT better than the regular ROTS one. Good job. :thumbsup: