PDA

View Full Version : ROTS #65: Carded 501st Special Ops Clone

Luuuuuuke
10-08-2005, 12:03 AM
I'd give him a B- grade. He's got all the problems the AT-TE gunner has, including those wonky elbow joints and wobbly ankle, hip and knee joints. He comes with a stand which is good, because he damn well needs it.

Having said that, he's pretty good looking. His paint is more detailed than with the Jedi Temple Assault set clone, though mostly because of the two thin strips going down the side of his legs.

His shoes up to his ankle are dusted up which actually looks okay. But for some reason it makes his feet look smaller and as the AT-TE mold kind of already has the look of a big-headed, big hipped clone, this isn't exactly appealing.

His helmet does come off which is a plus, and it fits pretty well. His elbow joints are a pain in the arse to maneuver and the left elbow frankly pops out quite a bit on the first one I opened.

There's something vaguely dynamic looking about this clone (he looks a bit sleeker than the AT-TE gunner), and the "damage" looks pretty good actually, but he's no more than a solidly above average clone. He's got the same face as the AT-TE gunner underneath.

mastermatt24
10-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Is he crosseyed? :crazed:

plasticfetish
10-08-2005, 02:37 AM
Is he crosseyed? :crazed:Hah! That's a really good question.

Yeah, is he?

Luuuuuuke
10-08-2005, 12:09 PM
He certainly looks crosseyed at first glance:D But I think it's more that he's looking up at something and he "looks" crosseyed. He's identical to the AT-TE gunner under the helmet. Actually the more I look at him the more I like him. The SA mold would have been better, but he looks less robotic than he would with the Quick Draw mold. He looks better around the shoulder to head area than the JTA clone.

mastermatt24
10-08-2005, 07:02 PM
OK thats good- would he look a lot better with pupils? (I was able to fix my cross-eyed gunners by drawing in pupils with a mechanical pencil)

Luuuuuuke
10-09-2005, 01:19 AM
I suppose if you can fix the cross-eyed gunners by drawing pupils you can do so with this one. They're identical. By the way, so far these stand better than the AT-TE gunners. I'm not sure why that is since in many ways their molds seem identical, but I haven't had many problems keeping them upright. I thought I would.
And they look WAY BETTER with a rifle. That little detail makes a big difference in the way they look. Unfortunately they only come with crappy little blasters.

decadentdave
10-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Well after months of waiting, I finally scored several of these for my Clone armies and, well... I must say I'm disappointed.

I was expecting a repainted Clone Trooper #6, like the Red Shock trooper and the 501st Clones in the Jedi Temple Assault Battle Pack, but to my surprise it is a repainted Clone Tank Gunner with removeable helmet. As much as I like a removeable helmet with the Temeura Morrison head sculpt underneath, I much rather would have preferred the ball-jointed helmet on this one instead of the fatter removeable one. Also, the figure is "dirty" and not as "clean" as the K-Mart Battle Pack. The other thing that annoys me about re-using the Tank Gunner body is that his right arm is permanently "cocked" which bothers me to no end, not to mention the pin-stripping down the legs. He looks more like he's ready for Nascar.

Hate to gripe about this one since this was "supposed" to be my favorite Clone Trooper to be released to date but the Commander Gree Clone which was the re-paint of #41 Super Articulated Clone Trooper, takes the prize for best sculpt. I would have preferred this body sculpt for my beloved 501st for maximum poseability. My only hope is that at some point Hasbro will do an "army builder" pack similar to the Entertainment Earth exclusive Clone Trooper 3-packs and he will get repainted on that body. Sigh...:frus:

Bacta Beast
10-28-2005, 07:58 PM
I have to chime in and agree with you! I am terribly dissapointed! The fist photos I saw of this figure were from the San Diego Comic-Con where the prototype they used for the display was utilizing the #41 super-posable body. Of cousre i knew better once I saw the "official" Hasbro pics. But having it open really is a big let down. It probably wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't one of the more memorable and important squads in the movie. But these are the guys that helped Vader clear the temple for Pete's sake! Show some respect! Plus the way Hasbro is positioning them in the package, is causing damage to some of the knee joints!:tired:

sith_killer_99
10-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah, that's why I bought 2 extra JTA packs. I still don't like the #6 Clone as much as the #41, but it's preferable to the "cocked arm" Tank Gunner.:rolleyes:

decadentdave
10-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Now I know why everyone is switching out white Clones in the Jedi Temple Assault Battle Packs. Can you really blame them? In fact, I'm thinking now this is a good reason to do the same. I know it is a rotten thing to do but this is really all Hasbro's fault. Let's stick it to them for a change!

As Sheriff Lucas Buck would say, "Never let your conscience be your guide."

plasticfetish
10-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Now I know why everyone is switching out white Clones in the Jedi Temple Assault Battle Packs. Can you really blame them?Umm, yeah...

You're not hurting hasbro, you're s****ing over the retailers and anyone else that might buy the set not knowing any better. It's the same as theft to me.

-----

Back on topic, I've yet to see the 501st Clone yet. I'm not wild about the fact that they used the Tank Gunner either, but I suppose they might have wanted to mix things up a bit with the bodies. (For better or worse.)

-----

(Given that there's another thread going for this figure, I'll be merging the two.)

LTBasker
10-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Yeah, that's why I bought 2 extra JTA packs.

While those do look alot better, you're lucky if you can find cheap enough prices to justify buying them. I finally found them at a K-Mart, two actually, only to be greeted (read: mocked) by a $30 pricetag. For three "new" figures and two repacks. It's more worth it to buy 6 'inferior' blue Clones than it is to buy that pack. :hurt:

decadentdave
10-29-2005, 11:40 PM
For three "new" figures and two repacks. It's more worth it to buy 6 'inferior' blue Clones than it is to buy that pack. :hurt:

Well here is how you fix that: Buy the $30 Battle Pack and buy 3 of the #65 Clone at $4.77 each (Walmart) which is one-half the cost of the Battle Pack and swap 'em out and return the $30 Battle Pack to K-Mart. It should fool even the eagle-eyed employee at customer service. Serious Collectors who actually want the Battle Pack should easily recognize the Tank Gunner clones exchanged in the pack (the pin-stripping on the legs is a dead giveaway) and will know to avoid buying them and only get the "untampered" sets on the shelves and for some kid who doesn't know any better and is just thrilled to get the Clone Troopers with removeable helmet is not going to care anyway so everyone is happy and gets what they want.

plasticfetish
10-30-2005, 12:33 AM
...and for some kid who doesn't know any better...Are you being serious? Because if you're not, forgive the following rant...

What you're suggesting is called "price arbitrage," and it's considered to be a form of fraud. It's illegal, and so it's inappropriate to advise people to do it here.

OK?

If you are just kidding around... then it's completely off topic and has nothing to do with reviews, so let's drop it.

decadentdave
10-30-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm dead serious.

Prior to your consolidation of my thread, this rant was the very topic of the thread I originally started.

My conscience is clean. I have no problem with bucking the system when the name of the game is to fleece consumers for their hard earned dollar. We are the ones getting ripped off here. Case-in-point: Hasbro partners with a major retailer i.e. K-Mart to offer an exclusive pack-in of 3 in-demand exclusive figures and 2 re-packed figures we don't need and subsequently jacks up the price to a ridiculous $30 when other retailers are offering these Battle Packs at $19.95. Now you tell me, who's ripping off who here?

You gotta be smarter then the system, Bub.

plasticfetish
10-30-2005, 03:14 AM
Prior to your consolidation of my thread, this rant was the very topic of the thread I originally started.Both threads were reviews of this one figure -- now they're merged. :)

My conscience is clean.Fine, but we're not going to talk about how to commit retail fraud here. (I'm sorry, end of discussion.) :)

Now you tell me, who's ripping off who here? You gotta be smarter then the system, Bub.The price is ultimately determined by K-Mart, a retailer that has always picked prices that are somewhat higher than others -- i.e. ToysRus, Target, Wal*Mart, (but not as high as the incredibly stupid KB Toys.) It's their right to charge whatever they want for their merchandise. Your hobby and your "need" for those figures does not give you the right to break the law -- and to make us all look like jerks. If you want to beat the "system," do it by not giving them your money at all. (What's that old cliché? ...two wrongs don't make a right.)

FIN.

LTBasker
10-30-2005, 03:54 AM
Sorry, PF. I feel I need to respond as well since he was replying to me.

Well here is how you fix that

They're TOYS, period. If I ever needed a toy that badly I would find a new hobby, you should keep that in mind. That's all I have to and am going to say about that.

decadentdave
10-30-2005, 10:59 AM
To PF et al...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I will do what I must.

sith_killer_99
10-30-2005, 11:27 AM
While those do look alot better, you're lucky if you can find cheap enough prices to justify buying them. I finally found them at a K-Mart, two actually, only to be greeted (read: mocked) by a $30 pricetag. For three "new" figures and two repacks. It's more worth it to buy 6 'inferior' blue Clones than it is to buy that pack.

Sorry to hear that. I found my sets for $21.99 and $24.99! It seems that some stores are charging as much as $30.00 for these.

As for swaping out the figures. Not only is it illegal but it causes other problems. Some may consider it "bucking the system" but in the end it only results in Hasbro working harder to regain any losses they feel as result. This just leads to higher prices all around. It may also lead to stores not wanting to carry exclusives, which could well mean we may never see figures that would have otherwise been made. It's akin to insurance scams that end up driving up insurance prices for everyone. The "no real victim" philosophy or "stick it to the big corporations" mentality is bogus. Sure we all hate the high prices but stealing is not the answer IMO.

BTW, I have placed a call to K-Mart about this problem and let them know that this was happening. I recommend that everyone else who has encountered this problem call K-Mart and let them know. They told me that they have documented the call and that they would look into it. They may not do anything about it, but if enough of us call they may do something. Here is the number to call 1-866-562-7848. I just spoke to a representaive and told them what was happening. Perhaps they can place a block on all JTA returns. It's worth a shot.

decadentdave
10-30-2005, 11:42 AM
As for swaping out the figures. Not only is it illegal but it causes other problems. Some may consider it "bucking the system" but in the end it only results in Hasbro working harder to regain any losses they feel as result. This just leads to higher prices all around. It may also lead to stores not wanting to carry exclusives, which could well mean we may never see figures that would have otherwise been made. It's akin to insurance scams that end up driving up insurance prices for everyone. The "no real victim" philosophy or "stick it to the big corporations" mentality is bogus. Sure we all hate the high prices but stealing is not the answer IMO.

Well then Hasbro should have considered the consequences when they came up with this "ingenius" exclusive. They continue to frustrate collectors by making them jump through all the hoops and pay a higher premium for a repainted figure at a considerable profit margin for them and retailers. Take for example the Star Wars Shop exclusive Clone Troopers at $15 each or the Target exclusives at $13 per figure. That's right PER FIGURE. That is a CONSIDERABLE MARK-UP. Now look what has happened as a result... the Lava Anakin and Obi-Wan figures are warming the pegs at all of my local Targets because no Collector or Parent alike wants to spend those ridiculous prices for a $5 action figure. Target will be forced to mark them all down on clearance just to move them and will LOSE MONEY and may decide it is not worth carrying these exclusives again and Hasbro will not make anymore anyway. I know, "If you don't like it, don't buy it" but as a Collector, I am prone to purchase them for my collection. I have a legitimate gripe here and I'm sure other Collectors do as well.

sith_killer_99
10-30-2005, 01:02 PM
No doubt you have a legitimate gripe. We all do. But breaking the law is no excuse. Sure you can rationalize it all you want but it's still breaking the law, it's still stealing.

Collectors take the good with the bad. If we really want Hasbro to stop over charging for, sometimes lame figures, we have to stop buying them at inflated prices. If Target, K-Mart and all the others can't move exclusives and have to mark 'em down to get rid of them then they will stop over charging for them.

But we'll never make that happen as long as we have collectors who are willing to pay $20.00 to online sellers, for figures that will sell at retail for $5.00 in one month. This goes back to the whole "instant gratification" thing I mentioned in another thread.

The bottom line here is that 2 wrongs do not make a right. This is no different than the scumbags I have seen that stole accessories out of the Evolutions sets I have seen, or the slimeball that has switched out figures in the Evolutions sets with older figures. These aren't even exclusives!

BTW, I also plan on calling my local Target and K-Mart stores to warn them about unscrupulous people switching out figures. Maybe they can do something about this problem, and you can bet I will let them know when it has happened in their store.:mad:

plasticfetish
10-30-2005, 02:44 PM
I'd be willing to bet that at the coorporate level, most places are aware of this sort of thing. It's at the store level that it slips by...

...anyway, enough of this here. We can start an entire thread for this in the "General Discussion" section, which I'd broaden to, "Things some collectors do that make the rest of us look like creeps."

Luuuuuuke
11-01-2005, 08:12 PM
I have both the JTA clone and the #65 clone and I honestly prefer the latter one. The big thing for me is that he looks less robotic. I like the “dirty” look he has. But I agree the #41 mold would have been the best.
Speaking of things collectors do(though it could have been a scalper or someone else, who knows), I found a lone Gree at a Walmart last night, and the only reason he was probably still there was that the package looked like Sasquatch stepped on it.
The plastic bubble and the cardboard was literally wrapped around Gree like it the air got vaccuumed out. Of course, I didn’t care because I’m an opener,so this was a crappy thing somebody did—but it ended up helping me.
But I wouldn’t encourage anyone to do this. Still, I would encourage Hasbro to produce two kinds of packaging: MOC, and “pre-f****d up.”:D That way little kids and the non-scalping oriented would have a better shot at finding hard to find figures. This would leave the scalpers and MOMC collectors to battle it out for the pristine packages, but I never said my idea was perfect.

sith_killer_99
11-01-2005, 08:41 PM
That way little kids and the non-scalping oriented would have a better shot at finding hard to find figures. This would leave the scalpers and MOMC collectors to battle it out for the pristine packages, but I never said my idea was perfect.

Trust me the SCALPERS would buy 'em all and sell the damaged carded figs loose.:yes: I hate SCALPERS!:mad:

plasticfetish
11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
I remember this thing going on where I'd find figures, like POTF2 Beru and Anakin, that would all have one corner of their card bent. I always assumed that it was scalpers trying to reduce the number of decent cards out there, to make theirs worth more.

Still, I would encourage Hasbro to produce two kinds of packagingI've always found that most TRUs do a pretty good job of that on their own. (Love those wire bins full of figures.)

vulcantouch
01-25-2006, 12:54 AM
. . . feast thy eyes on these; to paraphrase the smiths, "any sensible child. . . will know what they mean" :evil: needless to say, in my admiration for the sheer impeccable Efficiency of these swapouts (note how swapper cleverly substitutes unwanted, lackluster & redundant pack-ins from Other toys so they wouldn't go to waste!), my sympathies are much more with decadave than the hand-wringing fussiness of pf & sk99 :p
the quextion is, how'd i Get these pix? never mind that; but i will tell you that a) the targ to which these were returned has a history both of throwin shade at upright collectors and collaborating with scalpers, and b) All these swapouts were 100% successful and, now that it's well past the xmas season, completely untraceable. so tattle-call to your heart's content- like it'll make a damn diff :p
vt

vulcantouch
01-25-2006, 12:57 AM
:laugh: :ninja: :pleased: :thumbsup: :cheeky: :silly: :smoker: :Pirate: :rambo: :beard: :razz: :bandit: :lipsrseal

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Now ain't that just like a trekkie!:rolleyes:

Darth Cruel
03-03-2006, 04:03 PM
It is very difficult for me to find satisfaction with sub-quality articulation. But I am able to with this figure. I have only now been able to find extras to purchase for the purpose of opening and this is why this post is so late. I have been able to find a very good shooting pose for this figure and an adequate (not great) neutral pose for it with the helmet in his hand. For these reasons he will be blessed with a spot in the display. I hope Habro ends up releasing a 501st version of the #41 sculpt!