PDA

View Full Version : Collectors Insurance

Jedibill
10-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone has Insurance on there collections, I been thinking about this latly my collection is getting bigger and there would be no way for me to move it out quickly if I had too.

bobafrett
10-08-2005, 10:27 PM
I have renters insurance. I had my State Farm agent stop out and look at my collection, and he said I could insure it. I should probably have him stop out and see it again, to see if I might have to get a "rider" because it has increased in size many times over.

Slicker
10-09-2005, 04:13 AM
I should probably have him stop out and see it again, to see if I might have to get a "rider" because it has increased in size many times over.Oh, the jokes that could be made.

I really should get insurance on mine but for some reason it never comes to mind when I'm talking with my agent. I'll definitely have to make a list.

trandoshan666
10-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Same as bobafrett for me. As my collection has grown, I've increased my coverage a little.

decadentdave
10-09-2005, 11:02 AM
I had a flood a few years back and most of my Star Wars books were damaged. They were covered under my homeowner policy's personal property loss-of-use which insures up to the maximum amount of my policy. I asked my agent about insuring my collectibles specifically and he said that I would have to have everything appraised and the premium would be adjusted based on the appraisal amount. First, it is nearly impossible for me to get everything appraised because most of my stuff is stored in my attic and to pay someone to catalog and appraise everything would cost too much. My agent also said that because the values are so speculative, they couldn't say, reimburse the full market value of an item that is now 4 times greater than the original purchase price. He recommended saving all receipts (yeah right) but irreplaceable or one-of-a-kind items would be nearly impossible to recover.