PDA

View Full Version : clones vs stormtroopers

jlw
10-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey just curious as to which you like better the Clone Troopers or Stormtroopers?

Personally, I think I prefer Clone Troopers. I think their armor and stuff is more functional. We actually see Clones with utility belts, pouches, backpacks and such. Clones have different color designations, camo schemes, etc. to fit the various warfare they are fighting. Stormtroopers are all the same.

Kinda makes you wonder whether the Stormtroopers are really an "upgrade" from Clones. I know it could be argued that the Clones & their armor were designed to take control of the Republic, and then by Ep. 4 since the Empire rules the galaxy, Stormtroopers are more for policing & not so much for warfare; and of course the story has been written in reverse, so maybe if George had started with Ep. 1 Stormtroopers would have been more of an "evolution".

You can see an obvious "evolution" in the Clones vehicles to Imperial vehicles; the single man walkers to the AT-STs, and the Clone Walkers to the AT-ATs, etc. But the "evolution" of Clones in Ep. 3 to Stormtroopers in Ep. 4 just isn't there for me.

Slicker
10-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Stormtroopers all the way. Clones have all of the bells and whistles but Stormies are simplistic and just look lots better.

Besides you will never get into an argument about what the name of a Stormie is because he has a speckle of yellow on his armor where the others don't.

Blackened88
10-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Clones, Clones, Clones!

sith_killer_99
10-10-2005, 06:22 PM
I like the classic myself, Stormtroopers/Sandtroopers/Snowtroopers/Scout Troopers.

I do like the Clones, especially with the color schemes, but the Stormies will always be first in my heart!:thumbsup: :love:

trandoshan666
10-10-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't really prefer one over the other, because I really don't see them as being very different.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Clones, because they come in lots of pretty colors. :love:

Aren't they technically called "stormtroopers" as soon as the Empire is formed? I think EU says they are.

bobafrett
10-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Stormtroopers all the way! Had Uncle George had the money, or the technology when Star Wars, a New Hope came to his vision, Stormtroopers would look like the CGI Clonetroopers. I am a fan of the OT seeing as I wanted to be a Stormtrooper since I first saw them blast on to the princess's starship. My decision may be biased by that.

LTBasker
10-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Stormtroopers, for sure. The Clones were a little too uber-GI Joe for my tastes, and all the colors reminds me more of the Power Rangers. While I don't mind PR, I just don't think all the colors works in this case. Though some look cool, especially the red decorated Clones.

Jayspawn
10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
The Stormtroopers are my all-time favorites! But I do love the Clone Troopers too.

vader68
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Without a doubt Stormtroopers.:thumbsup: When I saw them in 1977 on the big screen, I thought they looked awesome. The clones are awesome in their own way, but nothing beats the look of a Stormtrooper.

CooLJoE
10-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Stormtroopers.

Clonestroopers are well....clones (stormtroopers have not been proven to be clones).

Besides, while Clonetroopers have all the colors and such, remember that Stormtroopers had a wide variety of versions too. Just because they weren't on the silver screen doesn't mean they don't exist. Heck, you can find various versions throughout the various SW games, books (yeah I know..EU), and whatnot.

Besides, Stormies had a personality (something that lends to the "they aren't clones" argument). You never see Clones just chatting about whatever.

CaptainSolo1138
10-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Me likey Stormtroopers better. I do like the clones, but they don't come off as "killing machines" (or what have you) to me like the Stormtroopers do.

X13VADER
10-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Well I Like The Ep 3 Clone/stormtroopers The Best. Not Sure What They Are? Come On They Are Jedi Killers

jedi master sal
10-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Well I Like The Ep 3 Clone/stormtroopers The Best. Not Sure What They Are? Come On They Are Jedi Killers

Yeah, I'm really digging the Clones more than Stormies. I was enthralled with the AOTC style clones. (I have literally hundreds of those clones). But now I'm finding I really dig the ROTS style clones even more. I just really wish Hasbro would make movei accurate ones. And like X13VADER said, the ROTS clones are Jedi killers. They are by far the most ruthless of the bunch, IMHO.

-Sal

seanmcfripp
10-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Clonetroopers are kinda nifty, but they don't really work within the context of Star Wars as a whole. On their own, they have a pretty cool design, but as prototype Stormtroopers, they fall painfully short. They make great action figures, and they look good in a video game, but don't ask me to believe that these guys are stormtroopers mark I.

Armored troopers in Star Wars are supposed to have a layer of Pledge on them. For better or worse, the OT established that as a visual motif. Every costume which featured some kind of "armor" looked as though it had just been buffed up with a cloth and some funiture polish. Don't get me wrong, I love the look...it's one of those cheesy, but totally endearing qualities that I love so much about the OT.

This was discussed a bit in another thread:

It just doesn't feel to me like the place we see in the PT is a logical predecessor to the place we see in the OT. Lucas tried really hard (in AOTC and, especially, ROTS) to start dropping visual cues, but it felt forced to me - the clones don't look to me like the precursors of the OT Stormtroopers, but more like rather thinly-disguised "Star Wars" knockoffs, just different enough to keep someone from getting sued for trademark infringement.

2-1B
10-11-2005, 11:51 AM
They all rev my engine.

JimJamBonds
10-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Besides, Stormies had a personality (something that lends to the "they aren't clones" argument). You never see Clones just chatting about whatever.

How about the chatting that is going on when Obers and Cody are making their plan for Utapau??? Also when Obi and Anakin say 'Good Bye' there are clones in the background chatting.

stillakid
10-11-2005, 12:36 PM
The AOTC Clones blow. They always looked like one of those designs that was rejected and later retooled.

ROTS Clones are much better.

OT Stormies are cool and the "specialties" (Hoth, Bikers, AT AT Drivers, TIE Pilots) really round out the designs.

But when it comes down to it, none of that armor ever did a lick of good. So what was ever the point? Might as well dress them up in burlap sacks and save the Republic Credits. :hurt:

seanmcfripp
10-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Might as well dress them up in burlap sacks and save the Republic Credits. :hurt:

Burlap with a nice shiny coat of Pledge on it.

JimJamBonds
10-11-2005, 01:30 PM
The AOTC Clones blow. They always looked like one of those designs that was rejected and later retooled.

ROTS Clones are much better.

I agree.

But when it comes down to it, none of that armor ever did a lick of good. So what was ever the point? Might as well dress them up in burlap sacks and save the Republic Credits. :hurt:

I'm not sure about that, that armor seemed to work out just fine against those Jawa's. ;)

El Chuxter
10-11-2005, 02:07 PM
When did the switch to Stormtroopers occur? In Last of the Jedi: The Desperate Mission, Obi-Wan refers to Stormtroopers, and that takes place just a few months after ROTS. Did they switch over immediately after ROTS, or was this another term for the clones that gradually replaced "Clonetrooper" as fewer and fewer of the ranks were clones?

Rocketboy
10-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Stormtroopers.
"All they know is killing in white uniforms."

jedi master sal
10-11-2005, 04:13 PM
When did the switch to Stormtroopers occur? In Last of the Jedi: The Desperate Mission, Obi-Wan refers to Stormtroopers, and that takes place just a few months after ROTS. Did they switch over immediately after ROTS, or was this another term for the clones that gradually replaced "Clonetrooper" as fewer and fewer of the ranks were clones?

Check out the latest issue of Star Wars Insider-Issue 84. It has the complete speech that Palpatine gave to the Senate. In that, IIRC, he states that clonetroopers will now be called Stormtroopers. So that's when the switch occurs-during ROTS.

-Sal

El Chuxter
10-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I will check it out, if they ever get their act together and mail it to me. :mad:

darthvyn
10-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Me likey Stormtroopers better. I do like the clones, but they don't come off as "killing machines" (or what have you) to me like the Stormtroopers do.

yeah, they may look like killing machines, but they couldn't hit the broad side of a star destroyer. they get owned by rebels.

jlw
10-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Stormtroopers.

Clonestroopers are well....clones (stormtroopers have not been proven to be clones).

Besides, while Clonetroopers have all the colors and such, remember that Stormtroopers had a wide variety of versions too. Just because they weren't on the silver screen doesn't mean they don't exist. Heck, you can find various versions throughout the various SW games, books (yeah I know..EU), and whatnot.

Stormtroopers ARE clones! "Aren't you kinda short for a Stormtrooper?" If Stormtroopers were just inlisted men in uniform then this statement would be superfluous. Stormtroopers are clones and therefore the same height.

Also, if you've watched AOTC while listening to the audio commentary, George Lucas makes a commment about Jango Fett hitting his head on the door of the Slave 1 after the fight scene with OB1. Lucas comments that he put that in there to pay homage to the blooper scene in ANH where the Stormie hits his head on the overhead door. Lucas said its kind of an inside joke that Jango is alway bumping his head and that trait was genetically instilled into the Stormtroopers.

And as far as the different "types" of Stormtroopers go, there's really not any difference between a Clone Scout and a Scout Trooper or a Galactic Marine and a Snowtrooper. If there is ANY difference in the armor, I haven't caught it yet. Maybe that would be good for someone to post, a comparison shot of the Clone Scout vs Scout Trooper and a Galactic Marine vs Snowtrooper.

And by the way, you have to admit, Clones are much better shots than Stormtroopers. Had the Clonetroopers been on Endor, they'd been eating Ewok-kabobs for dinner!!

JimJamBonds
10-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Stormtroopers ARE clones! "Aren't you kinda short for a Stormtrooper?" If Stormtroopers were just inlisted men in uniform then this statement would be superfluous. Stormtroopers are clones and therefore the same height.

Or maybe its that there were size requirements and Luke was shorter then the minimum height.

Slicker
10-13-2005, 02:31 AM
I don't know why people always refer to the "little short for a stormtrooper" line. It's obvious that the orginal stormtrooper was short too or the armor wouldn't have fit Luke at all. So that stormtrooper must've been short for a stormtrooper.

kool-aid killer
10-13-2005, 01:06 PM
I like both Stormtroopers and Clonetroopers. I think the Clones were a more effective fighting force, but that probably came from having good genes and an excellent trainer. By the time of A New Hope, the amount of Stormtroopers that are actually clones of Jango is probably small. They rest of the stormtroopers may of been from other donors and even actual human recruits too. For whatever reason, my favorite type of clone is the ARC trooper.

bobafrett
10-13-2005, 09:14 PM
I don't know why people always refer to the "little short for a stormtrooper" line. It's obvious that the orginal stormtrooper was short too or the armor wouldn't have fit Luke at all. So that stormtrooper must've been short for a stormtrooper.

From what I have read, Temuera Morrison is only 5' 7". If that is so, and clones are Stormtroopers, and Mark Hamill is 5' 9", then Luke is actually a tall Stormtrooper by 2 inches. I am also 5' 9" and I hear all the time "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?" Maybe that line meant as far as rank and who is and isn't allowed to enter a prisoners cell block. I mean Stormtroopers probably just don't go into a detention cell alone, without a commanding officer.

kool-aid killer
10-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Going by Princess Leias "Arent you a little short for a stormtrooper?" comment i get the impression that she is being sarcastic when she sees him enter. Its her way of being defiant and showing that she isnt afraid of him. I dont think there was a "You must be this tall to be a stormtrooper" sign at the Imperial recruiting offices.

darthvyn
10-14-2005, 12:56 PM
all i know is the guy who hit is head on the door was a little TALL for a stormtrooper...

JimJamBonds
10-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Maybe he was a liitle clutsy for a stormtrooper? :D