PDA

View Full Version : Do you army build the ROTS 3-packs of clones?

jedi master sal
10-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Strange that I was army building the AOTC 3-packs, but I just can't seem to get into building these ones. I think it's a couple of factors. For one, the variations are non-movie clones. Only the green one is close. Though IIRC the rust colored one was an early concept. Whereas with the AOTC packs at least the officers were movie accurate. The other reason being that we have SA clones out the wazoo. I'd much rather have 2 SA clones for the same price than 3 very limited articulated ones. Cost more to build up an army, but the poseability is key for the dioramas I want to make.

-Sal

LTBasker
10-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Nope, don't really plan on using them to army build. I may get 2 of each, although right now I can only find the white and blue variants of them and I only have one of the blue packs opened. I'm not really pleased with the way they turned out, the only one I really like is the crouching one. Though, that's because it's the only one that can look good in more than one situation.

The standing Clone can't even do that, no matter how much I shift the weight. If it had had peg holes, it would be able to stand no problem. However, the only Clone in the set that has a peghole is the crouching one. Stupid decision there. Plus, even if you can get it to stand you can't find a pose where it doesn't look like a dufus. Even just holding the rifle it looks ridiculous.

The prone Clone I've been thinking of a way to make a base for to put it in a standing pose as I really have no use for a prone Clone. Though it would look alot better if the head could actually pivot upwards enough to look like he's actually sniping and not snoozing.

Granted these are only $10 for a 3-pack, but considering the only knew thing in the set are the heads, it's pretty sad it turned out like that.

It would've been nice if they could've painted them up a little more as well, maybe add some weathering or at least give the painted ones some more details.

sith_killer_99
10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I have bought 2 of each set, one for the carded collection and one for the loose collection.

Reverend Strone
10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
These are virtually impossible to come by where I live, so I put out feelers all over for them and have netted a whole pile- more than intended. I must say they aren't quite as cool as I imagined, and now I probably have more than I want. It's a shame they're not movie accurate, but even so, they help add some different poses to my army. I won't be buying any more though. For the price, I think they're pretty good value.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-13-2005, 02:45 PM
They're inaccurate (there aren't too many white ones either), their helmets look like crap, and they're all way too tall in comparison with all the other clones. Hell no, I don't army build these! I bought one of each of the colored sets, and no white one, as I already have more than enough white ones from purchasing all these sets.

And all these were originally intended to be in the film. In an older issue of Insider, with the ROTS Clone on the cover for the first time, they show several possible color schemes, including these three. The only one from the pics in the magazine that made it into the film was the 501st trooper.

Captain Spoon
10-13-2005, 04:45 PM
I've passed on these every time I've seen them. I think these are junk

Slicker
10-13-2005, 07:00 PM
I've got 9 of these Clones total. One set of white, one set of red, and one set of blue. That's the extent of my army building.

Turbowars
10-13-2005, 07:43 PM
I've passed on these every time I've seen them. I think these are junkI bought a few, but I agree with you Captain.

Blue2th
10-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Bought 2 of the brown version. Even though he's not movie accurate, I thought it was a cool looking color to use on a clone. Only plan to use one pack for a scene mixed with SA and quickdraw clones, grey target clones, officers pouring out of a tilted Gunship. The 3 pack clones already on the ground of course. Did this with a Clone wars Gunship. It does look cool. :yes:

figrin bran
10-13-2005, 07:56 PM
i have one each of the variant sets and originally i was planning to repaint/customize all the white ones. i got as far as repainting one of the standing ones into a Tactical Ops Trooper before i realized that i really dislike how the eyes, mouth are painted much thicker than they are on 6 and 41 and at-te gunner and because of that, they look really funny when posed next to the other clone molds.

kool-aid killer
10-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Ive yet to see the green varient one, but ive found all others. I only bought the blue one and have passed up on the red/brown and white ones several time. Its hard for me to pick up anymore of them, since ive already got plenty of plain white clones, and there werent many of them in the actual movie. I think the only other one i will get (assuming i ever see it) is the green one, the rest will only interest me if they go on sale or clearance.

Luuuuuuke
10-13-2005, 11:40 PM
I got a grand total of 3 of these sets--two with the red clone and one with the green clone--but have passed on dozens more since then. I'm just not interested in the blue variant and like kool-aid killer said I don't want any more white clones.

UKWildcat
10-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Ive yet to see the green varient one, but ive found all others.

Me too. I've yet to lay hands on the green one.

I've got the other's but I'm not quite sure what to do with them. I'd like to have doubles of all the variants... I'd like to keep one set carded and one set loose but I'm having trouble finding them now. I've seen the red one multiple times, but thats it really.

Until further notice they will stay carded and packed away.

Obi-wedge
10-23-2005, 09:04 AM
I wish for the 3 pack they would have at least used the clone trooper pose from the Clone Wars 3-pack. The clone with the binoculars looks great posed with both arms on his weapon. Two of these and a crouching clone would have been a far better DVD 3-pack than that lame lanky legged clone.

sith_killer_99
10-23-2005, 09:16 AM
I plan on buying an extra DVD Clone set to open.

I suppose a lot of collectors are planning the same thing, based on how quickly they seem to be flyinging off the shelves.

Val Da Car
10-23-2005, 10:37 AM
I plan on buying an extra DVD Clone set to open.

I suppose a lot of collectors are planning the same thing, based on how quickly they seem to be flyinging off the shelves.

I have each of the colors (from hardcore scouring of retail establishments) but I hope the DVD set are nicely painted...

I am looking at getting two of them just to open.

SplFrcsCWO
10-24-2005, 11:50 AM
The prone Clone I've been thinking of a way to make a base for to put it in a standing pose as I really have no use for a prone Clone. Though it would look alot better if the head could actually pivot upwards enough to look like he's actually sniping and not snoozing.

I have mine providing overwatch from the floor of the gunship. It works for me.

jedi master sal
10-24-2005, 01:59 PM

I have mine providing overwatch from the floor of the gunship. It works for me.

Also, you can use them as "dead" troopers. Just turn themover and lie them on their backs. Looks good in a battle diorama.

Hambone
10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
I picked up a set and am very disappointed with them. I'd much rather build an army with the super-articulated #41.