PDA

View Full Version : Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis Lines

LTBasker
10-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Diamond Select has announced the license for both lines to be coming, they'll be sculpted by the guys over at Plan B Toys so we know they'll be good. (Though I'm worried about the likenesses)

I really hope they release some vehicles too like the Puddle Jumper and the F-302!

I'm hoping the figures release is something like this:

SG1:
Series 1: Earlier Seasons
Jack O'Neill with MP5, Hat, Sunglasses, Beretta, vest and piece of Stargate
Samantha Carter with MP5, Helmet, Beretta, Vest, SGC code device and piece of Stargate
Teal'C with Staff, open & closed zat, Vest, Beretta and piece of Stargate
Daniel Jackson with Beretta, Vest, Boonie Hat, DHD and clear plastic "wormhole pool" (for activated Stargate)
General Hammond with base piece of Stargate, 2-piece Chevron ring and Iris
Apophis (gold armor?) with alien world 2-piece chevron ring (so it can rotate in a finished gate), staff weapon, hand device and alien world Stargate base

Series 2: Later on
Jack O'Niell (new head - black costume?) with P90, Vest, open & closed zat, hat, sunglasses and home-made stargate power booster
Samantha Carter (new head - black costume?) with P90, Vest, "Carter Special" M4, open & closed zat, Goa'uld healing device and SGC code device
Daniel Jackson (new head - black costume?) with P90, Vest, open & closed zat and boonie
Teal'C (goatee head? - black costume?) with Staff weapon, open & closed zat and vest
Bra'Tac with Staff weapon, Goa'uld armor, open & closed zat and TER
Goa'uld Warrior with Hoarus and Serpent helmets, Staff weapon and open & closed zat

(Plan B uses removeable heads, so you would possibly be able to switch the heads between later and earlier season versions of SG1.

That way, you can get SG1's black and green uniforms with later and earlier versions of their looks and have an Earth and Off-world Stargate without having to have extra figures you don't need.)

Series 3:
Jakob Carter with open & closed zat, TERs and Tok'ra crystals
Loki/Thor 2-pack with Asgard console and magnetic pieces
Walter Harriman with dialing computer/iris activation piece
Teal'C in Goa'uld armor with Serpent helmet, opened Serpent helmet, staff weapon and open & closed zat
Baal with Goa'uld stuff
Anubis with eye of Ra and the other pieces, ancient tablet and head implant device.

Series 4:
Jonas Quinn (OD uniform) with vest, beretta, open & closed zat and books
Col. Mitchell (OD uniform) with vest, P90, open & closed zat, sword and ancient device
Gen. Hank Landry with...I don't know
Teal'c (current/new style OD uniform, new head) with vest, P90, staff weapon, open & closed zat and M249
Sam Carter (current/new style OD uniform, new head - hopefully not medusa hair style), vest, P90, open & closed zat
Daniel Jackson (current/new style OD uniform, new head) with vest, P90, open & closed zat and ancient tablet

Series 5:
Janet Fraiser with medical equipment
Daniel Jackson "casual" with blue uniform, books and relics
Jack O'Neill "casual" with blue uniform, misc. stuff
Samantha Carter "casual" with blue uniform, naq. generator,
Teal'C "casual" with blue uniform (I think he wore it?) with misc. stuff
Jonas Quinn "casual" with blue uniform and misc. stuff

SGA: (This'll be short cause I can only think of a series 1 right now)
Series 1:
John Shepperd with vest, P90, beretta, Atlantis scanning device and piece of Atlantis gate
McKay with laptop, ZPM, beretta, vest and piece of Atlantis gate
Dr. Weir with Atlantis DHD, laptop, 2-piece Alantis chevron ring and Atlantis gate base
Lt. Ford with P90, vest, code device, beretta and piece of Atlantis gate
Dr. Beckett with medical equipment, laptop, SG1 vest and piece of Stargate
Teyla with...whatever she had in season 1 mostly, alien world DHD and 2-piece alien chevron ring

JediTricks
10-15-2005, 03:04 PM
That's a great list, but I'm not yet comfortable with DST being the license holder, they've burned collectors a LOT over their relatively short lifespan (see the Serenity movie figures for the most recent proof). Also, didn't Plan-B's first line of military figures borrow all the tooling from the Resaurus military line? Wait, scratch that, the answer is "yes" because Plan-B is the company formed from the ashes of Resaurus. Well, hopefully they do a really good line here, something worthwhile because the shows deserve it.

LTBasker
10-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Yes, that is true, Plan-B did reuse stuff from their Resaurus days. However, they were showing off a really good sculpt awhile ago that still hasn't seen the light of day, apparently because they don't have much in the way of funding. Since they'll probably have funding from DST for this hopefully they'll pull off something really nice.

On Gateworld it mentioned a company called "Jean St. Jean Studios" is also going to help with sculpting, I wonder if they'll be doing real scanning for the head sculpts? Apparently awhile back there was a report that the Atlantis actors were being real scanned for action figures, but that report was pulled soon after being posted.

The Serenity figures are listed as being sculpted by a different company on DST's site, so I doubt they'll turn out that horrible. Despite their lacking lines of Buffy and Serenity, I'm hoping the Stargate figures turn out like the Star Trek figures' detail meeting Plan B's poseability and huge amount of accessories.

Even if they just do Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'C and a Stargate I'll be happy. :p

Here's the body sculpt they were showing off at 2004's Toy Fair:

http://photos.figures.com/photo/1/showphoto.php?photo=11311&cat=1140
http://photos.figures.com/photo/1/showphoto.php?photo=11308&cat=1140
http://photos.figures.com/photo/1/showphoto.php?photo=11307&cat=1140

If the Stargate figures look anywhere near that good, I'm definitely sold.

JediTricks
10-16-2005, 03:19 PM
I have the Resaurus figure with that fig's head, hands, and weaponry. :D They upgraded the body since then.

Battle Droid
12-04-2005, 12:14 PM
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/11/figure_daniel01_l.shtml

LTBasker
12-04-2005, 12:20 PM
That gives me bad feelings about this line. The head sculpt to me doesn't even resemble Shanks but rather Conner Trinnier (Trip Tucker from Enterprise). The uniform is also pretty inaccurate looking, their torsos are normally a bit larger looking due the top being a jacket, also they don't use huge frickin name tapes.

Neck looks huge as well.

Although it could be worse, I hope the quality improves before they're made.

LTBasker
12-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Bunch of info about the line on Gateworld in a Q&A: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/12/stargateactionfigureqa.shtml

Something that really sparked my interest though was at the bottom:

Diamond Select has also just announced via their online subscriber newsletter that they will indeed be releasing a Stargate (and ramp), in collectable pieces available with each figure. "Each figure in Series 1 and Series 2 will include a different piece of the massive Stargate -- so when you complete your team you'll be ready to start sending them through the gate," the company said.

"Also, each alien figure will include half of the ramp leading up to the gate -- making even more elaborate displays possible."

With one alien figure in the first wave of figures (a Serpent Guard), this makes it likely that the second series will also include one alien character. If it also includes a total of four figures, this implies that the complete Stargate will come in eight pieces.

:D

JediTricks
12-04-2005, 05:46 PM
First off, I think the likeness on that prototype is actually pretty good. The neck is like a friggin' giraffe but hopefully that's just a prototype problem. The face itself though seems to catpure a lot of the subtleties required, I think the photographic angle is the worst possible and not having his glasses on makes it even harder to gauge, but I still think it's a good likeness.

I don't like this crap of having to get all the figures to get the gate though, there's 2 O'Neill figs in wave 1, and if the line doesn't do well enough then the gate never gets finished if wave 2 never gets released. But hopefully it all works out and we do get a gate, that'd be very cool.

Battle Droid
12-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Diamond Select has also just announced via their online subscriber newsletter that they will indeed be releasing a Stargate (and ramp), in collectable pieces available with each figure. "Each figure in Series 1 and Series 2 will include a different piece of the massive Stargate -- so when you complete your team you'll be ready to start sending them through the gate," the company said.

"Also, each alien figure will include half of the ramp leading up to the gate -- making even more elaborate displays possible."

With one alien figure in the first wave of figures (a Serpent Guard), this makes it likely that the second series will also include one alien character. If it also includes a total of four figures, this implies that the complete Stargate will come in eight pieces.

Why can't Hasbro do something like that with Star Wars?

JediTricks
12-04-2005, 06:35 PM
With what? The Falcon would be waaaaay too big to do as a pack-in.

Battle Droid
12-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Maybe playsets or something.

LTBasker
12-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Don't think he meant like that, JT. Rather something along the lines of enviroments like connecting display bases I imagine, which they actually did a little. The Saga line's Barriss Offee, Aayla Secura and Colemen Trebor had Geonosis bases that all linked together.

But you're probably right about the sculpt, JT. If they had his glasses and maybe his head-wrap he usually wears it might've looked more like him. I -really- hope they shrink the necks.

I really wish they were using a 12 figure case/6 figure per wave system and that they had the whole team for wave 1. I mean, I'm glad they'll be doing something like I thought of but really don't like the way this is going.

Sad to see they're not using Plan B bodies even though they would've been awesome to see used and that Plan B's only doing the accessories. What a waste of talent.

JediTricks
12-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Yeah, not using the Plan B figures seems pointless, I suspect they brought in Plan B mainly for name-dropping.

I see what you mean about playsets/environments, but so far Hasbro's tried that a few times and failed pretty badly.

I am not surprised they're not doing the whole team at once, they're concerned that nobody would buy wave 2 if they got all the main guys from wave 1, it's a common fear from toymakers, only Playmates ever seems to know how to put everybody good out in wave 1 and keep the line going beyond that (TMNT, Star Trek).

LTBasker
12-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Here's a pic of the completed gate and the Serpent Guard, these are from Diamond Select's newsletter.

http://www.stargate-project.de/stargate/images/news/diamondselecttoys_stargate.jpg

The Guard looks really cool and at least he'll be in Series 1 so theres reasons to buy multiples. Of course, buying an average sized squad and you end up with 2 or 3 of the alienworld gate bases.

The ramp they show with the Stargate is somewhat disappointing, but oh well. Hopefully the scale is larger than what's shown cause it would be nice to be able to display more than one figure with it. :p

I have this horrible feeling though that the Guard will be hard to get multiples of due to army builders and we'll be stuck with pegs full of General O'Neill.

JediTricks
12-06-2005, 09:11 PM
The helmet on the guard looks too big, I think that might be just a perspective thing from the photograph. The photo of the guard and gate on figures.com show them separate, so I don't think your link's photo shows them in scale (if it IS the accurate scale, it's what, half-size?)...
http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=41&show_article=422&nl=1

I realized last night that we probably wouldn't get a gate that had a movable symbol ring or movable chevrons, that kinda bummed me out.

LTBasker
12-06-2005, 11:51 PM
One thing that really depresses me is that the articulation looks really limited, meaning probably no poses with SG1 holding their P90s or MP5s with both hands, same for the Jaffa and their staff weapons. I'm guessing the Jaffa variant will have him with a Haurus helmet, I think that was the only other helmet shown on SG1. Though they did have an Anubis helmet in the movie.

I realized last night that we probably wouldn't get a gate that had a movable symbol ring or movable chevrons, that kinda bummed me out.

Yeah, that'll be a really disappointing part. I'm kicking myself for not marching into Plan B's office and demanding they make the Stargate with a seperate ring that can spin, but then I would've been met with disappointment to find they're only doing the little accessories. :tired:

From what I can understand from a thread on the Spawn boards, Jean St Jean did alot of work at McFarlane and was responsible for the comic cover lines. Though it's reassuring that there will be detail in the work, it's disappointing since that could mean the articulation will be vary scarce and only there to help production molding.

I'd be really surprised if this makes it to series 3 as much as I don't want to think like that. It's just not very encouraging that they're already not handling it very well and don't seem to have solid plans for even series 2 yet, meaning it'll probably be really far off.

LTBasker
01-04-2006, 03:25 PM
We finally have pictures of Jack, although I can't find any larger ones. But we get to see both Jacks and a variant Jack. But if these prototypes stay as-is, this line will mean jack squat.

First, the set of 4 (also shows the Jaffa with no helmet):
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10065&mode=retail

Now, special ops Jack:
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC10064&mode=retail

This is rather disappointing. Mind you, General Jack looks pretty good- nice proportioned head, close likeness and whatnot. Regular Jack though looks horrible with the pea-head, very off likeness and the wrong uniform.

Daniel and General Jack have their appropriate uniforms- Daniel's is obviously the offworld one with the jacket, while General Jack has the regular BDU top since he only wore the garrison uniform. IIRC, he never wore the off-world jacket uniform as General.

What's disappointing though is it looks like Colonel Jack uses the same body as General Jack, which makes it even more pointless to take up two figure slots for Series 1. But, if they keep it like this then Colonel Jack will be far from accurate as they're using the garrison uniform in place of the offworld uniform. You can tell the difference between Daniel and Jack.

The even sadder part is that you can tell they're reusing as much of the one sculpt as possible, all the Jacks and Daniel have the same leg sculpts.

I'm getting more and more of a horrible feeling about this as we see more of this line. Diamond looks like they planned to run it in the ground from the beginning by trying to apply the exact same plan as the Star Trek line.

JediTricks
01-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Large photos: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/DMC10065.jpg
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/DMC10064.jpg

They honestly don't look all that good, you're right. They have DST prototype syndrome, good from some angles but failing in others, and they won't even live up to this in production.

I suspect the head on regular Jack is the same as on General Jack and just a weird photo thing making it look small.

DST apparently has made some deal with Art Asylum for the Trek line, I'm beginning to think that AA is somehow involved with these as well and we're gonna end up with rubber-covered hip, knee and elbow joints which would not be a good thing (my ST:Enterprise figs haven't torn, but they sucked to begin with).

LTBasker
06-04-2006, 03:32 PM
New pictures of SG1 figures shown at Wizard World Philly, no figures that weren't shown at Toy Fair but they're alot better pictures than what we got of ones like Replicarter. Also, desert Carter has changed since ToyFair where she had a hat one like series 2 OD Carter, she now has a very nice non-hatted headsculpt.

http://afigures.com/g/?mode=album&album=2006_Wizard_World_Philadelphia%2FDiamond%2FS G-1

The Stargate looks taller than it did at ToyFair but still disappointingly small. I suppose as a background for the figures it'll be decent but not really for a base for them to stand on...

The figures seem to be getting alot better as they get closer to being produced, I'm looking forward to getting series 1 this month and then series 2 in November. Hope they announce a series 3 and 4.

LTBasker
07-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Wave 1 of the Stargate figures are now shipping to stores and finally after months of waiting we get to see the packaging! Sadly, it's kind of a disappointment but I suppose it's better than oversized packaging. If you look closely you can see the Stargate piece behind the accessories, it looks good sized so here's hoping for a decent gate.

Pic of wave 1 together:
http://cgi.ebay.com/STARGATE-SG1-SERIES-1-SET-6-FIGURES-DIAMOND-SELECT_W0QQitemZ190010036855QQihZ009QQcategoryZ348 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Closer view of the Jaffa:
http://cgi.ebay.com/STARGATE-SG1-SERIES-1-SERPENT-GUARD-FIGURE_W0QQitemZ190010036926QQihZ009QQcategoryZ348 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Closer view of Daniel (removeable boonie- cool)
http://cgi.ebay.com/STARGATE-SG1-SERIES-1-DR-DANIEL-JACKSON-FIGURE_W0QQitemZ190010036903QQihZ009QQcategoryZ348 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm afraid the completed gate will be only slightly taller than the figures, they'll be able to pass through 1 at a time but that's it.

LTBasker
07-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Well, this pic makes it look like it should be large enough to have at least 2 standing side by side.

http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=2006_SDCC%2FDiamond_Select%2FSG1&pic=IMG_7187.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0

I'm surprised that even though the first wave is showing up, the variants don't seem to be.

JediTricks
07-21-2006, 02:40 PM
That's how they get ya, the variants. Notice how the only fig on the ramp is by far the smallest figure in the line, Thor is much shorter than the others. You can probably get 2 figures through there side by side but only if they are ducking. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I don't think so.

LTBasker
07-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I was thinking Carter and O'Neill or Daniel would probably fit well since Carter looks pretty small against it. I'm going to think that they did it for the innocent reason of not being able to make the pieces any bigger and keep it stable. Since the figures will have so many variants that should also come with the same pieces, if possible I'm going to customize two ramps into a more accurate one that actually has a flat portion.

Hopefully as the line sells (pre-orders have been selling out on alot of sites of series 1 and 2) they will release a deluxe gate set with alternate bases and spinning chevron track.

I dunno if you looked at the regular gallery, but now they have a DHD, the movie MALP and some non-variant figures on display. I'm glad we're getting Anubis but he looks kind of like a cheap halloween decoration, they should've made Apophis first.

JediTricks
07-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Sadly, I've been too busy to view any of the SDCC galleries anywhere except on SSG where I'm helping out from home.

Navtek
10-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Just saw that Diamond announced Series 2 of Stargate Atlantis and it looks great. Here is the link
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/product_debut.asp?dir=atlantis2

I especially liked the Athosian Teyla and Dr. McKay however I'll be getting the whole set. Any other Stargate figure fans in the house? :D

JediTricks
10-13-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm a fan, but none of the DST lines for Stargate have gotten my interest for some reason, they just seem... I dunno what, not quite there in sculpt, too expensive, something. McKay looks like a winner, but the variant somehow doesn't, my guess is they photoshopped the head on and it doesn't fit that way so it looks weird.

Show's actually in in 10 mins here. :D

Oh, and I merged this thread with the old one we had for the line.

LTBasker
10-13-2007, 12:16 AM
The series 2 figures were shown at, I believe, comic-con and looked alot better than those pictures. Only one site posted the picture though because the figures had a "No Photography" sign in front, but the site still has it up. I just can't remember which it is, I did save it to my HD but dunno if it'd be okay to show here?

I'm really glad they showed series 1 with holsters at comic-con though, I'm looking forward to those. Though, I'm quite worried about either line's future (mostly SG1's) since SGA series 1 and SG1 series 4 have been delayed so much.

Navtek
10-13-2007, 12:56 AM
I think the delays are the same issue that is affecting the BSG line. However, the latest date seems to be 31 October. I hope it holds up.

The SG-1 line could be on its last legs but throwing in the MALP parts should help. That seems like a cool accessory.

The Atlantis line has the gate section gimmic to give it some legs but I'm curious to see what a third wave will entail. I would like to see Ronan for sure.

DST better pick up the pace of its releases or it probably will stall. Underground seems to put out new Doctor Who stuff every month so how hard can it be?

JediTricks
10-13-2007, 02:56 AM
DST is the master of stalling lines to death.

You're not supposed to post those pics on the forums, but I think now that the cat's out of the bag... if they complain, I'll just remove them.

LTBasker
10-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Fortunately found the link at GateWorld, so no dealing with uploading anywhere. :D

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/gallery/v/sdcc_2007/Diamond+Select/dayone/Stargate/DSC09160.JPG.html

Huge difference between the promo pics and that pic, I'm going to assume the promos were made with some of the first samples. Field ops Teyla's head especially looks like crap compared to SDCC version. I'm hoping they'll also release the version of her with the uniform pants and the Athosian top and Wraith-Teyla, or heck just go ahead and include a Teyla in every wave!

Rachel Luttrel deserves it. :love: :crazed:

Navtek
10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks LT. I hadn't seen the rings yet. I do think Athosian Teyla will be the best of this wave. Those pictures seem to distort the faces but it could be due to the angle of the camera.

Well, DST still says 31 October so I'm counting the days.

Navtek
10-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Atlantis Wave 2 is up for preorder at BBTS.

LTBasker
10-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Review of some production samples:

http://www.syfyportal.com/news424338.html

But, the good part? The figures are confirmed to have working holsters AND take a look at this beauty of a P90!

http://syfyportal.com/Images/toys/fieldopsshepherd.jpg

Much better than what I've now dubbed the Picaso-90 we've had with SG-1, though we should be getting the new P90 with the Desert figures.

Navtek
10-28-2007, 04:12 PM
That's a pretty decent looking Sheppard and I agree with you on the P90. What's up with the Pyramid? The picture of Weir was kind of fuzzy so I'll wait til I see mine.

But I'm pretty excited about Steve! That's the first I've heard about the mail away offer.

Navtek
11-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Looks like JT was right all along. Nobody can stall a line to death like Diamond. I got all excited as the 31 October deadline for Atlantis figures just in time to see it pushed out until 21 November. UGHH, you have got to be kidding me.

BSG is stated for 12/12 and SG-1 wave 4 will follow the next week on 12/19.

JediTricks
11-04-2007, 09:48 PM
They ran 4 months past their deadline on the Star Trek Wrath of Khan Enterprise, and that thing's just a repaint! DST has weird priorities.

LTBasker
02-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I know there isn't much of a Stargate following on here, but due to the latest ToyFair felt it was worth reviving this thread for. The new wave shown at TF (SG-1 wave 5) includes the late (in reality and in SG-canon) General Hammond in his dress uniform, Ba'al, dress uniform O'Neill, black ops Carter and a new Jaffa. Also included in the wave is a black ops (but t-shirt) version of Mitchell as a casetopper, and the build-an-accessory is the UCAV; the missile-carrying version of the UAV.

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=4114

The extremely bizarre thing about this wave, however, is that the Jaffa has been referred to previously as a "Horus Guard" by DST, but as pictures reveal...

http://photos.actionfigs.com/data/4114/TOY_1113.JPG

It's actually an Anubis Guard, which hasn't been seen since the Stargate movie (unfortunately the body doesn't match the costumes used in the movie).

JediTricks
02-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Good eye on the Anubis Guard mixup, you are totally correct. What's that about?

The UAV is kind of a lame BAF, but it is a decent design.

LTBasker
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
No idea, nobody seemed to ask them at Toy Fair. It's a pretty difficult thing to mess up, though, as not only was the Anubis helmet only seen in the movie, but there was only a single warrior wearing it. The rest of Ra's guards wore Horus helmets. I'm thinking/hoping/praying/sacrificing-goats-for/wanting-obsessively that it means we're getting movie figures, and it's simply a case of the Anubis helmet being done before the Horus helmet was.

JediTricks
02-17-2009, 09:40 PM
That would be nice, but I'm betting it'll be something simple like "it's a chase figure".

LTBasker
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
A chase would be harsh, I would probably cry. :p

I posted a review of the F-302 at GateWorld, here's the link:
http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=9765381&postcount=72

I'll be taking more pics tomorrow, just need to pop some fresh batteries in the camera first. Also, about the $90 price I mention in the review, that was from using a promo code for 25% off that was given in the QMX newsletter. I'm not sure if it still works, but they're also contemplating making a promo code for GateWorld forum members.

JediTricks
02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Nice review. That's crazy expensive, no matter how nice it is, but glad you dig it.

sergiurusu
04-14-2010, 05:47 AM
I got the Quantum Mechanix F-302 Fighter/Interceptor

sergiurusu
04-14-2010, 05:51 AM
The Goa'uld Death Glider from QMX, made of heavier resin and limited edition (#618/1500) - I like it more than the F-302

sergiurusu
04-14-2010, 05:54 AM
Quantum Mechanix Stargate Replica Mirror (9" diameter) just arrived. :) Pics: original shot without flash, photoshopped gate effect, original shot with flash and QMX Stargate display.

JediTricks
04-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Cool shots. That one of the Gate with the flash looks EXACTLY like the show effect. That made me regret not getting this one. If I have enough funds at the end of Comic-Con, I'll probably buy that.

sergiurusu
04-16-2010, 02:07 AM
That is what my friends said too, when seeing the flash photo. As for the mirror I think you can still find it easily, the only limited edition here is the Goa'uld Death Glider.

Darth Duranium
04-16-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm not into the SG franchise but those QMX ships and mirror are simply fantastic! I've been looking at them on HLJ and drooling for a long time... especially the Death Glider.

I would buy all 3 if they were (a lot) less pricey but I can certainly see why a fan of the series would find them totally irresistible. Beautifully done, including the diorama elements.

Very nice get, Sergiu! :thumbsup:

LTBasker
04-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Man, I REALLY need to get that Glider. The only thing that I'm not really keen on is the abrupt end of the diorama where the river is. I really think they should have put an angled piece there with details that look like river rock. As-is, it's really distracting, especially since the post won't allow you to display the Glider in another direction to hide it.

That is what my friends said too, when seeing the flash photo. As for the mirror I think you can still find it easily, the only limited edition here is the Goa'uld Death Glider.

The F-302 is also a limited edition, but it was made in a quantity of 2500 rather than the Glider's lowered 1500. Definitely right about the mirror not being limited, though. This is their second run, I think.

I think it's been wink-wink-nudge-nudge confirmed on the Q&A thread at Gateworld that the next one will be the Puddle Jumper. I'm hoping its base is a water surface with a wake being churned up by the engine pods.

JediTricks
04-16-2010, 02:31 PM
That is what my friends said too, when seeing the flash photo. As for the mirror I think you can still find it easily, the only limited edition here is the Goa'uld Death Glider.The mirror is $60 to $70 which is pretty expensive considering what it is. The Death Glider is $80 from what I've heard, and that's a way better deal it seems like.

LTBasker
04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Well, the mirror you can get for $50 here: http://www.urban-collector.com/stargate-replica-mirror.html

The Glider is actually $100 from QMx, but EE and SciFiGenre have it for $84.

Although, if anyone still needs the F-302, ThinkGeek still has it for $60. http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/bf91/

JediTricks
04-16-2010, 03:22 PM
$50 plus $10 shipping is still $60 in my book.

TFAW has the Glider for $80, supposedly, but yeah, you're right, I misread the intended price on a review.

That's a good price on the F-302, but I didn't realize it was THAT small! It's Action Fleet sized.

LTBasker
04-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, I forgot to check on shipping. :p

I was hoping QMx would offer their $30 off to newsletter subscribers for the Glider, but for some reason they didn't do it this time. Which is weird since they offered it for Animated Teal'c, and the F-302, and even $5 off the coasters when they became available.

Yeah, the scale is pretty much AF, but they really did do a great job on it. After seeing the work they did on the Glider, I've grown to be a bit disappointed with the 302, but there is a vital difference. With the 302, they copied it detail for detail off of the CGI version, but with the Glider, they tweaked the design to improve on it. The 302 suffers in contrast because the details and aesthetic choices were obviously done without the intent to be seen upclose.

JediTricks
04-16-2010, 04:16 PM
The Glider is $20 less than the 302 already.

Yes, they look really great, but I just can't justify anywhere near $100 for that scale, statue or no statue, paint or no paint.

sergiurusu
04-17-2010, 12:04 AM
I agree that the Glider's stand should have been a bit different, personally I would have preferred it without the water part, just grass and the gate. I'm also hoping they will make a Stargate with a dialing device and some stairs to put it on. Or even to make the SG-1 Stargate.

JediTricks
08-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Looking around Amazon just now, I came across QM's Stargate replica coasters:
http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechanix-Inc-SG1-001-Stargate/dp/B001W3SWG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282630019&sr=1-3

It's a set of 4, they're resin with plastic event horizons, measuring 4.57" across. While a bit small, these might make adequate gates for Star Wars figures. I know the mirror is probably more accurate in scale, but you only get 1 there. Thoughts?

LTBasker
08-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I believe the coasters were adapted into bases for the animated maquettes, so I'll take a picture my Teal'c's base next to a figure later for ya. Need batteries for the digicam.

Rather curious though, why put Stargates with Star Wars figures?

Also, for anyone still wanting it, ThinkGeek has had the QMx Death Glider for $60. It's sold out at the moment, but they have the page still up with an email alert, so hopefully they'll get more in at some point.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/da60/

JediTricks
08-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Why NOT put them with SW figures? It's called "imagination".

You're right about the coaster as the base for animated Teal'c, I can see it on the official pics of it. That's a funny choice.

JediTricks
09-18-2010, 12:48 AM
I ended up getting the mirror for my birthday. It's pretty nice, I went out and bought drywall anchors just to mount it safely. But the event horizon skin on mine has a fingerprint smear on the inside and a styrofoam dot as well. Is getting the skin off and then back on as difficult as has been suggested?

It certainly scales better to SW figures than the coasters would, that's for sure.

LTBasker
09-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Nice! The smudging sucks, but it should be easy to wipe clean. It's usually not difficult the first time to get the faux horizon off (mine wasn't put in very well), but it's very annoying to put back on. It'd probably be worth it, though.

Btw, ThinkGeek has the Death Glider back in stock at $60. I finally nabbed one using a $10 off code from a catalog so it was $58 after shipping.

Why NOT put them with SW figures? It's called "imagination".

Forgot to reply to this, but anyway, it just seemed like you had a pre-existing reason for it. :p

JediTricks
09-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm not willing to get the undersized gate that comes with the figures in pieces, so this is my only gate, and why not have some sense of context with it if you can? I suppose I could put it with my GI Joes as a surrogate SG team.

What's it take to get it on and off then?

LTBasker
09-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Hmm, not entirely sure how to get it out once it's apparently mounted right... I can't get it back out. Originally I just pushed in from the sides, arching it to get an edge out. It's not working now, though.

Getting it on there properly was a lot of work. You basically have to make it raised in the center like a dome in order to get it completely within the gate, and then slide it down making sure that the edges are going behind the edges of the gate. That's why it's hard to get out again, cause it's large enough to overlap.

JediTricks
09-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Well, I finally HAD to do it last night. I rotated the skin a little and that stupid dot left a trace in the shape of a ring on the mirror, it looked really bad.

Getting the skin off was VERY difficult, I couldn't get anywhere near enough traction with just my fingers. I tried scotch tape, but it didn't have enough grip to get it all the way out, so I switched to packing tape and that did the trick.

Cleaning the skin didn't get the fingerprint off of it, looks like it's in the skin and not below it, and the blue paint started bleeding into the cleaning cloth I was using. I did get the dot off, but the mirror and skin started picking up dust like crazy. I'm going to contact QM about a replacement skin tomorrow.

Getting the skin back on is SO much easier than that if you're using the tape method Basker, I put in about 80% in 10 seconds by sliding it in flat, then the last little 20% just popped right in with a push - the whole thing took less than 30 seconds to get installed (getting the skin OFF took 20 minutes of trial and error). It actually took me longer to remove the packing tape, since you have to go slowly or the adhesive won't release.

Thanks for the inspiration, and if I do get a new skin, now I'll know how to remove and replace the old one.

LTBasker
09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Nice, I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to take it off again. Hopefully that's a never, though.

I got my Death Glider from ThinkGeek and have to say the ship itself is far more amazing than the F-302. It's about the same size, but the detail on it is beautiful, and the cockpit is far more interesting than the puny cockpit on the F-302. Even the little Jaffa inside have some great paintwork on them. I was really caught off guard with the heft of it, though. The F-302 is pretty light and puny compared to the Glider, which feels as though you could lethally bludgeon someone with it.

The base, however, I've grown to not really care for it as much as I did originally. In person kind of reperked my interest in it, with the "grass" being slightly more convincing than can be seen in pics, but it's still a bit of a novelty idea that's worn off. The abrupt flat end at the river has bugged me ever since first pictures were released, and really should have been transitioned out with an angled lining of bedrock.

Plus, the illusion of distance is really lost since that only happens when you're looking at it from overhead, but you can't view it like that when you put it on a head-level shelf. It could be salvaged, however, if you could turn the base around. If they hadn't limited the display potential by putting two tiers on the ends of the acrylic display rod, then you'd be able to turn the base around. Doing that would give the illusion that the Glider is flying over a steep hill with the gate, a river and ruins in the background.

They probably should have kept it simple and let the Glider be the focal point like the F-302, whose base is simple but effective in creating a great looking diorama. This base feels a lot like they were trying to accomplish too much.

Overall, I'm pleased to have it because it's an amazing Glider replica and really the only one out there; Kenner's movie Glider wasn't exactly striving for accuracy. Really not sure how I feel about the cost... $60 shipped was better than the idea of $100 + shipping from QMx, but I still may have gone for it. I think if the base didn't feel like such a loose execution to a great concept, it'd be easily worth the $60. I don't know.

Oddly I managed to get a pretty low number of #208 out of 1500, I figured it would have been in the 1000+ range.

sergiurusu
09-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Congrats on getting the Glider. It is my favorite of the 2 fighters. I like the details on the hull and the cockpit Jaffa pilots. I think the base would have looked better without the water part.