PDA

View Full Version : should ship a "main characters" case to retailers

JediTricks
10-15-2005, 03:25 PM
I remember when I was a kid trying to find ROTJ figures, all I could ever find was secondary characters because the primary ones were always snapped up. Even at this point in collecting 6 months later, I have still seen kids looking for main character figs and finding only Palpatines and Neimoidian Guards and Bail Organas. I propose that if you have the chance, you put out a case something like with 2 Grievous #9 figures, 1 Obi-Wan Pilot (I know he's not hard to find right now, but maybe a repack with him out of the cloak), 1 Anakin #28 (without the dark circles under his eyes), 2 Shocktrooper #6s, 2 #41s, 2 of the R2 #48 figs, a C-3PO, and a Vader.

No Yodas because I never see kids interested in those, no Palpatine/Sidious figures because kids don't like the old guys, no Bail Organas because he's not an action character, no secondary Jedi because they're not main characters, no Chewies because he's barely in the film, no Mace Windus because that figure stinks, no Wookiees or Destroyer Droids or Battle Droids or Greivous' Bodyguards or Clone Pilots because they're all secondary battle characters.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Once we get back to all the films, I think they should have some kind of case assortment like this:
*Luke Skywalker
*Anakin Skywalker
*Obi-Wan Kenobi
*Padmé Amidala
*Han Solo
*Princess Leia Organa
*Darth Vader
*General Grievous
*Clone Trooper
*R2-D2
*C-3PO
*Yoda

That way, the main characters from all the films are always available.

I kind of agree on the Yodas though; for some reason he was a hot commodity after AOTC but not so much after ROTS.

Blue2th
10-16-2005, 08:38 AM
I remember when I was a kid trying to find ROTJ figures, all I could ever find was secondary characters because the primary ones were always snapped up. Even at this point in collecting 6 months later, I have still seen kids looking for main character figs and finding only Palpatines and Neimoidian Guards and Bail Organas. I propose that if you have the chance, you put out a case something like with 2 Grievous #9 figures, 1 Obi-Wan Pilot (I know he's not hard to find right now, but maybe a repack with him out of the cloak), 1 Anakin #28 (without the dark circles under his eyes), 2 Shocktrooper #6s, 2 #41s, 2 of the R2 #48 figs, a C-3PO, and a Vader.

No Yodas because I never see kids interested in those, no Palpatine/Sidious figures because kids don't like the old guys, no Bail Organas because he's not an action character, no secondary Jedi because they're not main characters, no Chewies because he's barely in the film, no Mace Windus because that figure stinks, no Wookiees or Destroyer Droids or Battle Droids or Greivous' Bodyguards or Clone Pilots because they're all secondary battle characters.
For the most part, I think Hasbro is shipping these characters more than others, give or take a few. In my area Walmart and Target are literally stuffed with Vaders, R2, SA Clones, Obi-Wan Pilots, #6 Clones. Anakin Sith Eyes can be found if you are lucky. Haven't seen a Shock Trooper for a while, or C3PO. Hopefully you are right about the kids wanting the main characters because there is alot of main characters that are peg warming in the stores. I went to a Mega Walmart and they were just happening to be stocking the movie display for DVD release. I drooled when I saw the 8 or 9 unopened cases. Turns out every case was the Vader, Yoda, Bacara, SA Clone, Obi-Wan etc. wave. They said they weren't going to order any more till these sold. I don't see it happening unless the kids go crazy after the movie release. :yes:

maatu
10-16-2005, 02:19 PM
that is a good point. but in my area you can find all the basic characters. mre than you want of obi won kenobi and anakin skywalker. i have seen so many general grievous and darth vaders to beat myself crazy with. i would like to see more obi won kenobi pilot figure #55. but the new corrected version. i talked about it before. you would know what iam talking about if you saw it. it does not have holes in the sides of his head.hasbro i think is doing a good job. there are going to be figures warming the pegs for sometime. we just half to face it.there might be some supprises to come that hasbro has not mentioned yet. so we all just need to wait.
to answer that one .when i was a kid. my stores had tons of rotj figures and power of the force. the coined ones. more than i could imagine. i wished i collected them at that time but a popular cartoon and figures were out called gi joe and i didn't stay with the figures.

Slicker
10-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Good case assortment JT. I do believe that they tried this with the ENTIRE case of Vaders but that was overkill. I've been seeing more main characters at the stores in just enough numbers so that everyone that wants one will get one and not so many that they clog the pegs (like Mon Mothma at my TRU which literally had a Mon on the front of EVERY peg).

The one thing Hasbro did correct from the beginning was package the droid figures in good enough numbers to go around. you don't see many Greivous Bodyguards, Destroyers, or Battle Droids yet you don't hear people complaining that they can't find/don't have these figures. It's obvious that they were packed properly from the beginning.

JediTricks
10-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Part of my thinking was that the better versions of the main characters should ship once the line has gone soft into the secondary characters, the kiddies still want the main characters late in the game and this type of case will respark their attention half a year after the movie.

For the most part, I think Hasbro is shipping these characters more than others, give or take a few. In my area Walmart and Target are literally stuffed with Vaders, R2, SA Clones, Obi-Wan Pilots, #6 Clones. Anakin Sith Eyes can be found if you are lucky.In my area, WM was stuffed with the Vader fig, but none of the other stores in my area have more than a few. Electronic R2 is nowhere to be seen (only the lame original one), the SA Clones come and go pretty quickly, Obi-Wan pilot does pegwarm a bit but I blame the way he's hidden behind his robe shell (and a good case ratio, he SHOULD be pegwarming a little), and #6 clones also come and go pretty quickly. But most importantly, none of the stores have all the main characters at once, a case comes in and it's a mishmosh of mostly secondary characters, it's not even enough for the kiddie set, you gotta get 'em hooked with the main characters first. ;) And that requires a strong selection to choose from, or buy all of.

Good case assortment JT. I do believe that they tried this with the ENTIRE case of Vaders but that was overkill.Thanks. I think the solid case of Vaders hit exactly the same wrong way that the solid Maul cases did back in the TPM days, the problem was that Hasbro deeply underestimated casual collector interest in those 2 figures, and when they finally caught up and shipped solid cases it was too late because the interest had cooled months later, and they became a blight.

Once we get back to all the films, I think they should have some kind of case assortment like this:
*Luke Skywalker
*Anakin Skywalker
*Obi-Wan Kenobi
*Padmé Amidala
*Han Solo
*Princess Leia Organa
*Darth Vader
*General Grievous
*Clone Trooper
*R2-D2
*C-3PO
*Yoda

That way, the main characters from all the films are always available.That's a good idea, I hope if they do it they pay attention to WHICH versions they send, only GOOD figures keep collectors coming back, and what I'd like to see is a long-term schedule for a main-character case like that, so that it tapers off and then strengthens again later, it keeps coming and going. Honestly, it should be tied into school schedules, when kids start talking about toys with eachother again, that sort of thing.