PDA

View Full Version : Episode III VHS?

Jek Porky 2002
10-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Will be getting Revenge Of The Sith on VHS as well as DVD or are Lucasfilm just not going to bother?

Not that I would ever even watch the thing on one of those big black anolog boxes, but it would satisfy my anal retentive side, I would like to complete my Star Wars video collection!

CaptainSolo1138
10-17-2005, 08:50 AM
I think I read here that RotS will be DVD only. I think alot of analog completists will be upset, not just you.

JimJamBonds
10-17-2005, 11:45 AM
I think I read here that RotS will be DVD only. I think alot of analog completists will be upset, not just you.

I read that hear as well Cap, apparently ROTS will be the first film not to be released on both VHS and DVD.

sith_killer_99
10-17-2005, 12:01 PM
I thought someone said that it would be released in Europe on VHS?!?!

Confusing, I know, but I am a DVD guy all the way anyhow.

In fact, as soon as I bought my DVD player (1999) I swore I would never buy another VHS. Then GL made me break that oath by not releasing EP1 on DVD until 3 years later?!?!Grrrrrr:twisted:

JimJamBonds
10-17-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure if it will be released in Europe... I never bothered getting AOTC on VHS so it doesn't really bother me if ROTS will be on VHS or not.

Slicker
10-17-2005, 12:24 PM
I did a quick search on google and found this site selling the ROTS VHS. I'm not sure where exactly it's from but it's definitely Europe.

Link. (http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/product.aspx?R=655621&bci=5%7CVHS)

2-1B
10-17-2005, 01:51 PM
That can't be totally accurate, since it says total "disks" is 1.

Aside from bootleggers, LFL said awhile back that they aren't releasing it on VHS. :)

JimJamBonds
10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
It looks this site is out of England. I checked out a couple of other movies and they all say "number of disks" so it must be an error across the board. But like Caesar said I remember hearing that ROTS will be on DVD only.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-17-2005, 06:10 PM
That's stupid. They need to release it on VHS, if only so everyone can have the whole set on both VHS and DVD. They're losing a lot of money by doing this . . .

bobafrett
10-17-2005, 07:11 PM
That's stupid. They need to release it on VHS, if only so everyone can have the whole set on both VHS and DVD. They're losing a lot of money by doing this . . .

I didn't pick up Episodes I or II on VHS. I did buy both Widescreen and full screen for the EPI DVD, but then thought better when buying EPII and just got that one in Widescreen.

I have several versions of the OT on VHS, and I hope at least one of them was like the way I saw it in 1977 where Han shoots and Greedo doesn't even have a chance to pull the trigger.

SirSteve
10-17-2005, 08:51 PM
They told me at the press junket it will be available in DVD format only.

Slicker
10-18-2005, 02:55 AM
They're losing a lot of money by doing this . . .But are they really? How many people still have and use a VCR on a regular basis? I'd have to venture a guess of not many. I'm a completist but I can tell you that if they did release it on VHS I still wouldn't buy it because you know what? I don't have a VCR so why bother buying VHS. I think it's a smart move and will definitely be the one of the nails in the coffin of VHS.

2-1B
10-18-2005, 04:27 AM
agreed Lemony Slicket, and on top of that they had tons of VHS tapes RETURNED last time and who wants to take that bath ? :confused:

JimJamBonds
10-18-2005, 11:09 AM
agreed Lemony Slicket, and on top of that they had tons of VHS tapes RETURNED last time and who wants to take that bath ? :confused:

Just put the phrase "limited edition" on it and people will snap them up. lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-18-2005, 06:25 PM
But are they really? How many people still have and use a VCR on a regular basis? I'd have to venture a guess of not many. I'm a completist but I can tell you that if they did release it on VHS I still wouldn't buy it because you know what? I don't have a VCR so why bother buying VHS. I think it's a smart move and will definitely be the one of the nails in the coffin of VHS.
Yes, at least from most people who bought all five previous episodes on VHS and want the whole set (indluding myself).

I don't like VHS one bit, but I'd still like to have all six on both formats. It just feels weird without it.

JimJamBonds
10-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Yes, at least from most people who bought all five previous episodes on VHS and want the whole set (indluding myself).

I don't like VHS one bit, but I'd still like to have all six on both formats. It just feels weird without it.

Dub it to VHS then. :D

Elliejabbapop
10-19-2005, 12:37 PM
I think it's stupid. I know a lot of people who still prefer watching movies in VHS format or who don't have a DVD player because they watch movies directly from the Net. This way they just encourage piracy.

General_Grievous
10-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Personally I don't feel affected by it. I mean, the only VHS tapes I watch anymore are either stuff that I've recorded or the pre-SE OT. The only reason I bought AOTC on VHS was because my DVD player was broken on that sad cold day in November. Had to wait a week to buy the DVD for that.

plasticfetish
10-22-2005, 03:12 AM
Mmmm, complaining that you can't get Ep.III on VHS is a little like complaining that you can't get all 6 of them on Laserdisk... I mean, HEY! I wanted to complete that whole set too. :rolleyes:

Thank God that I can finally bring some closure to my handheld drive-in movie bootleg betamax versions of the films. :rolleyes: x2

jonthejedi
10-22-2005, 04:24 AM
...see my post under "Batman Begins"...much going on in the home entertainment industry...including the eventual elimination of all VHS.

Val Da Car
10-22-2005, 11:49 AM
...see my post under "Batman Begins"...much going on in the home entertainment industry...including the eventual elimination of all VHS.

And soon DVD to be replaced by HD-DVD.....

an elaborate ruse to have consumers by new home electronics every few years....

I still have a working turntable just to enjoy the original sound of records from long ago (even before I was born).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Mmmm, complaining that you can't get Ep.III on VHS is a little like complaining that you can't get all 6 of them on Laserdisk... I mean, HEY! I wanted to complete that whole set too. :rolleyes:

Thank God that I can finally bring some closure to my handheld drive-in movie bootleg betamax versions of the films. :rolleyes: x2
After seeing the official site's rundown of all the different releases and formats of SW on video, not having it on VHS doesn't seem all that bad.

And damn, laserdisc sounds baaad. :D

2-1B
10-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Hell, I'd buy an ROTS VHS just to complete the collection but I'm sorry guys, I just don't think they would sell enough of them to justify the production run. :D

plasticfetish
10-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Caesar, just make up a box-cover and put a blank tape in it. :)

It'd be one thing if they were doing a nice little set thing like they did with Episode I, (I bought that, don't remember if they did anything for EP. II) but they wouldn't.

And damn, laserdisc sounds baaad. :DLD ROCKS! The size of a dinner plate, and early on, if you wanted to watch a long movie (I remember watching Gandhi in college on LD) you had multiple disks and sides... awesome.

It's just like anything else, by the time you've bought into one technology, they're getting ready to promote the next one. I was reading that HP and Dell (and probably Apple soon enough) are getting ready put BD-ROM (Blu-Ray (http://blu-raydisc.com)) drives in their computers. (I'm still trying to figure out what to do will all of my Zip drives.)

2-1B
10-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Caesar, just make up a box-cover and put a blank disk in it. :)

Disk ? What kind of disk ? Why would I put a disk in a VHS box ? lol lol lol
j/k ;)

It'd be one thing if they were doing a nice little set thing like they did with Episode I, (I bought that, don't remember if they did anything for EP. II) but they wouldn't.

Nope, nothing for AOTC unfortunately but you're right about TPM because that was awesome. Nice display box plus the cool film strip, very nice gift set. Mine was great, I got the shot of Amidala that they showed in the trailer, very cool image and one of the better choices in my opinion. :)

plasticfetish
10-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Disk? I have no idea what you're talking about. (I think hackers may have altered my post.) ;)

princethomas
10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
They arent losing any money. I promise you. If they could make any money on selling VHS tapes, I assure you they would do it.

That said. Its better that they don't. Is it true that this is the first big movie ever to be DVD only? Thats much cooler. I'd love to think that Star Wars was the first movie to leave that putrid format in the dust.
Now if only it was Widescreen only.

-T

BanthaPoodoo
10-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Looks like you can get in in the UK on VHS from Amazon.com, even though the junket says that it isnt being released on VHS:

Press Junket: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=11489

VHS Version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00097E6EK/imdb-uk/026-8975915-7032447

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2005, 07:51 PM
As a teacher, we often get the leftover technology. I'd like to be able to show the SW films in class (not for "watching movies," you aww-can't-we-do-something-fun-today-Mr.-Teacher? whiners! :p ) for their stories and messages. Now, I have to hope that my not-always-reliable CD-ROM drive will play ROTS... :upset:

I did read an article that Lucasfilm wanted to eliminate piracy from recording DVDs from VHS.

They arent losing any money. I promise you. If they could make any money on selling VHS tapes, I assure you they would do it. That's not necessarily true. Many fans were drooling over a true OT DVD (i.e. pre-Special Edition versions), and that idea was squashed flat quickly. So those of us who'd like a complete set of the same media will just have to put our "disks" in tape boxes. :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2005, 08:40 AM
I thought I remembered something from sw.com, and so I looked around and found...

http://www.starwars.com/community/fun/polls/OriginalPollResults.html

How would you characterize your VHS viewing habits?
Poll Dates: 8/30/05 - 9/6/05
I no longer watch anything on VHS. 30%

I only keep it around to watch my old Star Wars tapes. 26%

I use VHS only to record television programs. 30%

I regularly watch movies on VHS. 14%

So apparently their "market research told then it ain't worth it. :(

JEDIpartner
11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Looks like you can get in in the UK on VHS from Amazon.com.

Sadly, those who do not have PAL adaptable players are out of luck... unless they just want something sitting on their shelves.

Thankfully, I have a region free/code free DVD player and I can play all of those lovely foreign DVDs. :thumbsup:

bobafrett
11-03-2005, 10:51 PM
The other day as I was leaving work, a lady was at the electronics department inquiring about EPIII on VHS. I overheard hear conversation and stepped in to inform her that it wasn't being released on VHS, and I know because I read about it here on SSG! She was a little upset as she wanted to get both the VHS and the DVD.

Slicker
11-03-2005, 11:04 PM
There you go JJL. You'll have to have one of the guys from over the pond to get it for ya but you can now finish your collection.

BanthaPoodoo
11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
And here is a some more info from mousedroid.com:

Remember when Starwars.com announced that Episode III will not be released on VHS....well prove them wrong by heading to your local Big-W store and track down a copy today. Mousedroid friend, Commander Mike has reported seeing Revenge of the Sith on VHS . Stock is minimal so start hunting your local retailers.

They have two pictures of it over there as well. Clam shell case is sort of ugly looking...

Tycho
11-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Is Big-W Wal-Mart? I'd buy VHS if only to complete my collection on VHS as well as DVD.

plasticfetish
11-12-2005, 04:44 PM
No... "Big W" is an Australian store. (It's a division of Woolworths.) Might be a good excuse for a trip to Australia though. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-12-2005, 07:11 PM
There you go JJL. You'll have to have one of the guys from over the pond to get it for ya but you can now finish your collection.
Nah, I'll just live without it. After shipping and everything, all I'll have is a box that doesn't do anything since it won't work on regular VCRs, as far as I know. If they release it in the US, then I'll get it, but if not, then no big.

Tycho
11-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Nah, I'll just live without it. After shipping and everything, all I'll have is a box that doesn't do anything since it won't work on regular VCRs, as far as I know. If they release it in the US, then I'll get it, but if not, then no big.

I'll echo that (but thanks PlasticFetish)