PDA

View Full Version : Would you purchase collectibles for the following properties?

SirSteve
10-17-2005, 11:24 PM
We are going to throw you a curve ball and take it a little outside of just Star Wars... please cast your vote (check all that apply) and tell us why...

plasticfetish
10-18-2005, 01:57 AM
I'll break the ice on this one. I voted...

Star Trek - Yes. I've been a Trek fan longer than a Star Wars fan. (There wasn't a Star Wars back when I first started watching Star Trek.) I love the "original series", but I've bought items from the other shows and the movies as well.
Battlestar Galactica - Yes. We're talking new Galactica, right? I like the show a lot. Depending on what the item is, I'd think about it. (For the record, I'd think about stuff from the old shows as well.)
Stargate - No. Well... maybe. I don't dislike the Stargate shows (or movie for that matter) but they're just not my thing.
Star Wars Expanded Universe - Yes. But it all depend on what it is.

Slicker
10-18-2005, 02:00 AM
I only chose SW EU. I've never been a fan of any of the other properties and I'm not a fan of the EU but I do enjoy seeing new product for SW even though it may be EU.

2-1B
10-18-2005, 03:09 AM
a big NO to all of them . . . while I did enjoy Trek TNG, I don't like any of the other shows in the Trek series. :)

Tycho
10-18-2005, 03:22 AM
I totally back Star Wars Expanded Universe and I bought multiples of Playmates and Art Asylum's Star Trek to do dioramas (and would like to see one of those sizes continue).

Star Trek needs

Enterprise Xindi figures, Phlox, Hoshi
Deep Space Nine Dominion War figures

Star Wars needs

New Jedi Order
Knights of the Old Republic (Tales of the Jedi)
Quinlan Vos / Villie / Prequel OnGoing series

Amongst others...

LTBasker
10-18-2005, 04:18 AM
Star Trek - Yes, I've got a bunch of the Playmates figures and have been trying to get the Art Asylum figures. The high-price and low availability of most of the figures though keeps me waiting.

Battlestar- Not really, haven't been able to get into either version of the series. While the new series can be interesting to watch, I don't think I would support a toy line unless they had really really cool versions of the fighter craft.

Stargate- Most definitely, I'm glad they're finally making these as well as they're highly needed! I'm going to support this line for sure!

Star Wars EU- I'd love to! Granted, I probably wouldn't know who most of them are, but if they were based on stuff like popular books, comics and games (like Jedi Knight) I'd definitely support it.

stillakid
10-18-2005, 07:11 AM
I don't read the EU stuff, but I am a Starwars worshipper and find the toys generally too cool to pass up even if I don't have a clue who they are or where they came from. It makes no sense, but I never claimed that it did. :)

As far as the other stuff goes, nah. Trek never was my cup o' tea. I liked the old Galactica and I like Stargate too, but I don't that that building collection of stuff from either is on my radar in any way. At this point in my life, I'm not too sure about collecting much else although a Ferrari collection in my garage would be nice. :D

bobafrett
10-18-2005, 07:28 AM
No to all of them. My regular Star Wars collection takes up so much space and too much of my money. Even if I had a better job, and was able to afford another toy series line, well I might go for the Star Wars EU line, but hav never read any of the books.

jedi master sal
10-18-2005, 08:36 AM
I voted an emphatic YES to EU, also checked BSG. Not sure how much of Galactica stuff I'd collect, but I liked both series, so I'd get some stuff from it. Anyone else notice how the new Cylons look much like Super Battle Droids? (Or for that matter how much the Clones of AOTC looked like the old Cylons?

trandoshan666
10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
I voted no to everything except for the Star Wars EU stuff, which I would support wholeheartedly the SOTE, Clone Wars animated and other EU figures from the POTF2 line are actually some of my favorites. So, a big thumbs up :thumbsup: to that idea.

sith_killer_99
10-18-2005, 11:01 AM
I voted for EU Star Wars only. Simply because I cannot afford to collect additional lines. I have tried over the years. I did the Movie Maniacs, DC Direct, etc. In the end they all went the way of the ghost and only my SW collection remains.:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
10-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Nope.
I've seen a few Star Treks, but I would never say that I like it.
Never seen any Battlestar Galactica.
The Fargate...errr...Stargate movie sucked, and have never seen the show.
Star Wars EU is very highly doubtful, but more than likely - no.

Turbowars
10-18-2005, 06:54 PM
I voted for EU Star Wars. Though it's not my favorite line of SW items, I welcome them over the others on the poll, they are for Geeks.:thumbsup:

Darth Jax
10-18-2005, 06:59 PM
not a big fan of star trek, bsg or stargate - so i wouldn't purchase any of those. would be in favor of most anything EU, as long as it still looks like star wars.

mtriv73
10-19-2005, 08:00 AM
If they ever made 3 3/4 inch BSG figures I would buy them all. Especially if they had Vipers the figures could sit in.

I lost all interest in Star Trek after BSG started airing. I never collected any of those toys the first time they were out and can't imagine starting now.

I couldn't care less about SW EU. I might buy a few figures if they made them (random jedi are always good for fleshing out a battle of geonosis scene) but for the most part I just don't care about non-movie toys.

I wouldn't want anyone to waste the plastic needed to make Stargate toys.

SNAYSON
10-19-2005, 08:52 AM
no to star trek

Definitly yes to the NEW version of Battlestar Galactica

no to Stargate

A BIG DEFINITE YES TO STAR WARS EU - i can care less what others think about star wars EU - as long as it continues the Star Wars saga story line. READ book for once in a while y'all and leave me alone.

Ji'dai
10-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Conducting marketing research now?

I voted Star Wars Expanded Universe

I'm pretty much done with Hasbro, but if LEGO made the TIE Defender, TIE Crawler, or Outrider I'd buy them.

I bought some Playmates Star Trek figures but I'm not interested in Trek now. I've never watched the Stargate or BSG series so I'm not interested in collecting that product.

kool-aid killer
10-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I only voted for Star Wars Expanded Universe. I think Hasbro could pull out a lot of good figures from the EU. Maybe not enough to satisfy us all, but its something thats better than nothing. Plus the EU doesnt have to take over the whole line, maybe give it a wave or two per year and continue on with the regular movie/television characters and whatnot.

JediTricks
10-19-2005, 02:07 PM
I chose all 4, but to varying degrees.

Like PF, I've been a Star Trek fan since before there was a Star Wars... I was born a Trekkie really. I have a lot of collectibles from the franchise as it is, mostly all toys, the most being probably Star Trek Micro Machines but maybe actually more Playmates action figures, I have lots of those. In terms of spending on a single item, I generally don't go super high, $100 is my tops.

BSG was never my thing back in the day, I liked the designs of the original series' pilot outfits and the cylons and the colonial vipers, but I wasn't way into the show. The new show is pretty good, but I don't think I'd buy much from it except for the vehicles, I'd buy a lot of vehicles. Figures though, I probably wouldn't buy (except as Action Fleet minifigs with the vehicles :p) just because it's not that sort of show to me and they don't have cool accessories on the show. I wouldn't spend more than $30 for a BSG collectible.

Stargate really impressed me when it first came out, I own the special edition on DVD. The shows, SG1 and Atlantis, have also been pretty good. Apparently there's a figure line coming next year of the shows, I don't know if I'll collect 'em all but I'll probably get the core characters and hopefully a gate accessory. There aren't many other types of collectibles I can even think of, but I can accept being surprised by something cool. I think my cap would be $40 though.

I've never totally connected with the SW Expanded Universe, but I have picked up on some of it. I have all the SOTE figures, all the Hasbro EU figures, the EU-derived Galoob Action Fleet sets, and even the Rawcliffe Outrider, but I never bought the Galoob Micro Machines EU sets back in the day nor the Hasbro Outrider (though to be fair, that wasn't so much EU as just plain "ewwww" :p). My interest in collectibles from the EU varies a lot depending on how Star Warsy the item is, how well it's designed (I'm looking at you, Hasbro Outrider), and whether or not it piques my interest in general. I think my spending cap is a paltry $30, compared to my SW spending cap of $125.

El Chuxter
10-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Battlestar Galactica might be something that interests Mrs Chuxter, but I never got into it.

Stargate was a cool movie, and I always thought the show was mediocre at best. I can't think of enough from the film to support a figure line that I'd want, and I'd pass on anything from the show.

Star Trek I said no to as well, though I could see myself getting one or two pieces, depending on what they were.

Star Wars EU, well, I'm not sure what that is. :p

I noticed there's no Harry & the Hendersons figures listed. Which is weird, because amazon.com lists a December 31, 1969 release date for the DVD. :crazed:

(Seriously, though, I'd buy a Movie Maniac style figure of Harry, no question.)

plasticfetish
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Conducting marketing research now?Yeah maybe. ;) But it is interesting to see where Star Wars fans stand on other shows... other Science Fiction stuff. That, and though I knew this poll was coming, given that we just found out about Hasbro adding BSG and Stargate to the Titanium line, I'm surprised at how much more relevant it's become to this community.

Fact is, with Star Wars "slowing down" for a bit, and companies looking to keep you guys poor ;) it's kind of interesting to see where everybody stands.

For the sake of discussion, I'd even be interested to hear any other suggestions for show or movie merchandise, (keeping it kind of within the realm of Sci-Fi, etc.) One show that I'd add to the list, that I became fond of right as it was ending, is Farscape. Also, I've always been a Dr. Who fan, (and I'd love it if some "Science Fiction" cable channel picked up the latest show... won't hold my breath) I'd always welcome decent offerings from any of those shows. Perhaps a nicely done Sonic Screwdriver replica. :)

JediTricks
10-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Stargate was a cool movie, and I always thought the show was mediocre at best. I can't think of enough from the film to support a figure line that I'd want, and I'd pass on anything from the show.Don't tell that to Hasbro, they did a movie figure line back in the day. :D

Oh, and let me add that if Hasbro struggled the Star Trek small die cast spaceship license away from Johnny Lightning, I would support it wholeheartedly (so long as it wasn't total junk, I bought over half the Johnny Lightning line and it has its fair share of flaws).

sith_killer_99
10-19-2005, 05:25 PM
I love all the Sci-Fi stuff.

Currently BSG is at the top of my list, television wise. I bought the season 1 box set with the mini-series a couple of weeks ago and now my wife is hooked as well. I like the new one much better than the original.

I also follow SG1 and SG-Atlantis, but not as much as BSG.

However, I will still pass on the toys. SW is my first collecting love and anything that takes money away from that has got to go.

Well, except for the wife and kid of course.;)

plasticfetish
10-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Oh, and let me add that if Hasbro struggled the Star Trek small die cast spaceship license away from Johnny Lightning, I would support it wholeheartedly (so long as it wasn't total junk, I bought over half the Johnny Lightning line and it has its fair share of flaws).If they managed to say... use a little die-cast in their ships, I'd be all for it. It still amazes me that the JL Trek stuff is all plastic. I can't think of one movie line that JL has done that's been like that. At this point I'm so happy with the Titanium line, I'd love to see them expand it as much as they want. Show me some Alien(s) stuff and I'll buy it.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-19-2005, 08:27 PM
assuming that it's the new Battlestar...YES.

All the rest...NO!

Bobby Fett
10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
None of the above.

When I quit Star Wars, I'll move on to something non-toy related.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-21-2005, 07:54 PM
The only box I checked was the Star Wars Expanded Universe one. The other series I have little interest one--with the possible exception of Star Trek, of which I have a casual interest in--one that might be more piqued had I not plunged in so deep with Star Wars.

Even the EU has its limitations. I don't own much EU figures save for some Micro Machines and Action Fleet. I did buy a Prince Xizor at CIII and I am interested in obtaining more from that line, but I will only pursue it if I have money left over. Other priorities first.