PDA

View Full Version : Force Fx Opinions

MrMet
10-23-2005, 09:13 AM
The way I see it because of my age (34) and my wife (dont want to **** her off hehhehe), I will only be able to purchase 1 more Force FX Lightsaber. What I am looking for are opinions on the ones out there now. I already have the Darth Vader ESB and was wondering which one you guys like most out of the few others that are available. Anakin ep3, Mace Windu( new model coming soon) , Luke ROTJ. I like the look of Luke but from what I have read A few guys werent very happy with it. Does anyone of any others to be released in the near future. How was the last model of Maces? I guess what I am looking for most is the sound effects and brilliance of hte saber. Thanks in advance.........

Jayspawn
10-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Only 1 more? (why only 1?) Its always good to keep your hobby if your spouses favor (whatever it takes!) If that were the case I would suggest the Anakin Episode III FX. I finally picked one up last week and its magnificent!

JediTricks
10-23-2005, 03:38 PM
IMO, the Luke ESB was the best counterpoint to the Vader saber, so the Anakin ROTS saber being similar and having the updated electronics seems like the best way to go (especially if you're not too picky about the hilt differences between the Luke ESB and the Anakin ROTS), plus it's the easiest to find right now so that all makes a good recipe.

The Mace saber isn't entirely "honest" in its color, but it is tempting based on its original hilt design, I guess it partly depends on what you're looking for with it. The Luke ROTJ one has a great green blade, but the hilt is not as good because it's taken directly from the older Force FX version, and the sounds come from the ESB saber which is a different sound.

BEW
10-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Definitely the Anakin...the Luke is horrible and the hilt is not accurate and the Mace purple is stupid! Plus they both take like 6 batteries a piece and the Anakin is far superior and only takes 3.

nash
10-24-2005, 12:36 AM
I'd say the Anakin ROTS FX would be by far the best choice quality wise. However if youre talking nostalgia, then that is totally up to your preference.

Although you may want to keep in mind that sometime next year the Maul FX's are supposed to come out, and maybe then you could convince your wife into letting you buy two maul FX's so that you can have the "1" complete saber ;)

MrMet
10-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the Anakin. I think that is the direction I will go in. Yeah next year is a new year with new toys.....hehehe.

shadu widal
11-02-2005, 05:58 PM
The Anakin definitly. Very solid feeling, and bright blade. Plus, it's the same saber that Luke inherits in A New hope. ;)

nash
11-03-2005, 06:57 AM
The Anakin definitly. Very solid feeling, and bright blade. Plus, it's the same saber that Luke inherits in A New hope. ;)

Its actually very different than the one Luke inherits in A New Hope.

Jayspawn
11-03-2005, 09:40 AM
The topic aside, its the same lightsaber but Ben modified it a little over the years.

anti-hero
11-03-2005, 01:26 PM
It's good to hear so many of you recommending the Anakin ROTS saber since I bought it last night! (first master replicas anything for me) Now I just have to wait until xmas to play with it! AGGGHHH!

Jedi_Mike
11-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Well if you have only one FX left to buy I suggest you wait until next year. Steve D, has commented that the Obi-Wan ROTS FX next year is the most brillant blue and the sounds have been greatly improved and let's not forget Maul....That one will put all other FXs to bed.

Syl-Rel Veloci
11-11-2005, 02:51 AM
In my opinion, the best one is the one you already have.

I like the Anakin Episode III, the only thing that turned me off about it is the fact that a lot of people had its blue blade lighting up all over the place on Halloween.

If you'd like to be a little different from your fellow Jedi Knights, then I'd go for the green-bladed Luke Episode IV

BountyHunterScum
11-20-2005, 01:36 AM
As far as I know the maul saber is the two halfs that can combine into one, not two seperate sabers at 120 a piece.

BountyHunterScum
11-20-2005, 01:45 AM
The way I see it because of my age (34) and my wife (dont want to **** her off hehhehe), I will only be able to purchase 1 more Force FX Lightsaber. What I am looking for are opinions on the ones out there now. I already have the Darth Vader ESB and was wondering which one you guys like most out of the few others that are available. Anakin ep3, Mace Windu( new model coming soon) , Luke ROTJ. I like the look of Luke but from what I have read A few guys werent very happy with it. Does anyone of any others to be released in the near future. How was the last model of Maces? I guess what I am looking for most is the sound effects and brilliance of hte saber. Thanks in advance.........

I don't think the advertised Mace saber is new. Someone on this board said its overstock. Unless its an update that fixed the slight red line in the blade when lit.

shadu widal
11-20-2005, 01:47 AM
I don't think the advertised Mace saber is new. Someone on this board said its overstock. Unless its an update that fixed the slight red line in the blade when lit.

I heard a while back that it was left over stock their shipping. Having recently gotten one, I can confirm, the off colorization of the blade is still a problem.

MasterYun
11-22-2005, 01:32 AM
I loved my Mace Windu FX... until the gold on the hilt started to fade away... Poor quality on this one. Be careful handling it.

BountyHunterScum
11-22-2005, 01:49 AM
I heard a while back that it was left over stock their shipping. Having recently gotten one, I can confirm, the off colorization of the blade is still a problem.

The red line isnt a big deal, I ended up putting the Mace saber back in the box for safe keeping.

Tycho
12-12-2005, 12:47 PM
OK - I'm going to diverge from the consensus opinion here: go for the Luke ROTJ FX Lightsaber!

I like to fight with mine, flip it, and practice my martial arts moves.

I got the Luke saber after I got out of the hospital and used it (and still use it) during my recovery for part of my physical therapy.

Man am I fast with it! I like the positioning of the off-switch so that it doesn't turn off on me when I'm in the process of executing my moves.

Obi-Wan's TPM saber (not ROTS/ ANH) would top all of these, but time will tell if we'll get that one.

Movie accuracy is not a high priority for me as I'd likely break a Luke saber that had an accurate neck on it. But dude! Do not get into a lightsaber fight with me when I'm armed with the present MR ROTJ saber. You're so dead if you do! I kick butt with it and so does Master Replicas!

JediTricks
12-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Tycho, do you actually own any of the other FX sabers? I mean, the Luke ROTJ one is good, but the Luke ESB and both Vader ones are better I think. Oh, and I'd totally whomp you with my superior saber skills, but I don't want to bust my sabers up, your hard head would probably leave marks on the polycarb blades. :D

Tycho
12-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I own Anakin's, Vader's, and Luke's FX Sabers. I thought I'd posted that. So bring your favorite lightsaber and meet me on the playground after school!:D

plasticfetish
12-14-2005, 05:52 AM
...by the bike racks at 3:30?

mrhat
12-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I dont know if this is just a strange coincidence, by my friend and I both got the Mace Windu Force FX saber, and the blade is WHITE, or nearly at least, with 2 purple stripes down the side...WTF? Anyone else know of this issue, or is it just one of those things?

sjd9299
12-26-2005, 10:05 PM
I just got the Anakin, Vader and Luke ROTJ FX sabers for Christmas. I know of the Mace and Luke ESB and they will be the next ones I try and get. Is that all the FX sabers made so far or are there more? I need to know because my disease is that I must complete things. So I must get every FX saber ever made. If you know of any more please let me know.

Jayspawn
12-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Looks like you had quite an FX Xmas! There are ANH and ESB FX versions of Vader's lightsaber. Both are great though. There's an Anakin FX from both AOTC (that was the very 1st FX) and ROTS. That it as far as FX Lightsabers so far.

Obi-Wan from ROTS and Darth Maul are up next!

Tycho
12-27-2005, 01:25 AM
I wonder what the difference is? Between the ANH Vader and the ESB Vader, and various Anakin FX versions. I don't study the details like that. I know my favorite lightsaber (Obi-Wan TPM in case anyone forgot).

I have Vader ESB, Anakin ROTS, and Luke ROTJ I guess.

My Vader seems to have the most limited amount of impact-clash noises.

The power-up noises on Vader and Anakin's don't seem to be consistent with the movies, but they were not consistent IN the movies either. I think Ben Burt tweaked the sounds they made to add dramatic effect - such as to make Luke sound "revengeful" when he attempts to confront Vader on Cloud City in the carbon freeze room, etc. Vader's by comparison is almost a whisper during ignition during the same scene (ignition noise).

Luke's ROTJ sound effects seem to be the most consistant and accurate thus far.

JediTricks
12-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Here's the list, and btw, EL material is basically glowing paper, Indiglo stuff, it doesn't "ladder" on or off...
Anakin's AOTC saber (EL material)
Luke's ROTJ saber (EL material)
Vader's ANH saber
Luke's ESB saber
Mace's AOTC saber (tinted blade with LEDs)
Anakin's ROTS saber
Vader's ESB saber
Luke's ROTJ saber (new LED blade, same handle as original version)Coming Soon:
Maul's TPM saber half (buy 2 and combine them to make full 2-blade saber)
Obi-Wan's ROTS saberTycho, Vader's ANH hilt is somewhat different, the ESB one has more details. Also, the ESB one takes only 3 batteries instead of 6, and I think it has 2 more clash sounds than the ANH one which has just 1 clash sound (I believe MR says the source material they used for the ANH one had only 1 clash sound).

Anakin's AOTC hilt is very different from the ROTS one, and that's not counting the fact that the AOTC FX has an EL blade so it blinks on and isn't very bright. The AOTC hilt has a very different emitter shroud and activation box from the ROTS version (the ROTS version emulates the ANH Luke saber).

I can't speak for the Anakin ROTS or Vader ESB, but the Vader ANH has a very accurate power-up and power-down. However, the Luke ROTJ has the most inaccurate power-up/power-down, hum, swing, and clash sounds of any of the sabers because they took the sounds from a DIFFERENT saber which was pulled from ESB or ANH rather than ROTJ (this bothers me a lot about the Luke ROTJ, far more than the hilt's quality in fact).

MrMet
12-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I must say after only oiwning the vader ANH and the vader ESB the anakin saber has a very brilliant glow and many more clash sounds (3 maybe). Very happy with the anakin ROTS deal so far!!!!!

DarthQuack
12-27-2005, 08:43 PM
My sister just got me the Luke ROTJ saber for Christmas after getting me the Vader ESB one last year. I love these. They are great. I look forward to getting an Anakin one, not sure which yet, and Maul when his comes out as well. I don't have too much beef with the Luke one, sounds a little different, but no two sabers are the same :)

JediTricks
12-27-2005, 11:08 PM
I must say after only oiwning the vader ANH and the vader ESB the anakin saber has a very brilliant glow and many more clash sounds (3 maybe). Very happy with the anakin ROTS deal so far!!!!!
The Luke ESB has 5 or 6 clash sounds, I think the Anakin ROTS has the same because the Luke ROTJ does and I think they used the same sound effects.

I am curious about the differences between the Vader sabers from someone who actually owns both of 'em (it would have been me as of yesterday, but stupid Best Buy screwed me).

Tycho
12-28-2005, 02:49 AM
I checked the box my Vader saber came in. It says it is the ESB version, but it only makes 4 different sounds: power up, power down, hum (motion sensitive), and clash.

My Anakin saber is ROTS and its box says it makes 4 sounds (the same as Vader's above) but it actually makes 6 sounds, as there are 2 more clash sounds it makes that are not listed seperately.

The Luke ROTJ saber is similar to Anakins as for sound effects.

JT, I'll have to pay more attention to ROTJ to confirm my feelings about the Luke saber accuracy. I am disappointed in the power up / down sounds and the lack of clash variety in Vader's.

Master Replicas puts out the best lightsaber products but there is still room for improvements.

JediTricks
12-28-2005, 06:36 PM
There's just 1 clash sound? Wow, Best Buy's incompetence just saved me money, I thought I had heard there were more, I already have a Vader FX that has 1 sound. Again though, I read somewhere that MR claims that Burtt only assigned 1 clash sound to Vader's saber, the rest you hear are for the others, so that's the reason there's just the 1. I think there are 3 swing sounds in this one, but I have a hard time counting them because of their more random nature.

Luke ROTJ LED saber has 4 clash sounds, I just monkied with it to be sure, so if it's the same as Anakin's ROTS then Anakin's has 4 clashes.

JT, I'll have to pay more attention to ROTJ to confirm my feelings about the Luke saber accuracy.Please do and let us know what you think. This is my biggest complaint about the saber, it really bothers me because the blade looks so good that I expect that brighter set of sounds (they're totally different) to go with it.

I am disappointed in the power up / down sounds and the lack of clash variety in Vader's.Wow, really? If it's anything like the ANH Vader saber, I love the power-up/power-down sounds, but it's possible they went a different way since it is the ESB one, the ANH one sounds snakey and cool in power-up/-down, just like I remember from the movies.

Master Replicas puts out the best lightsaber products but there is still room for improvements.Oh, absolutely. I only wish they were $80 instead of $120 or whatever, I'd buy even more.

Tycho
12-29-2005, 04:29 AM
Wow, really? If it's anything like the ANH Vader saber, I love the power-up/power-down sounds, but it's possible they went a different way since it is the ESB one, the ANH one sounds snakey and cool in power-up/-down, just like I remember from the movies.

If snakey means like a hiss, then yeah - I wish my Vader saber did that. I also would've hoped that Ben Burt would have checked MR's products prior to release for the amount of money they charge.

Vader never "ignited" his lightsaber in ANH. When Obi-Wan found him on the Death Star, it was already on. He was "waiting for [you] Obi-Wan." In ESB, Luke has that awesome "I'm going to pay you back for what you did to Han!" ignition sound, and then Vader ignites his saber to meet Luke's challenge. That was classic. That's the sound I want! (for both of them, each individually respective of one another).

Like I said, I didn't pay as much attention to ROTJ, but Ben Burt was really using recycled lightsaber sounds by then anyway. I think the MR's sabers I have all use the Cloud City reactor room ignition sound (where Luke later gets hurled out the window). Or the sound was again recycled for Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's ignition sounds for the Theed Hanger Duel. Maul's was slightly different if I recall.

Still the issue is that in ESB, Ben Burt did his best lightsaber work and the same saber had different ignition sounds to relect the emotion of the scene: Luke was out for revenge for Han, for example.

JediTricks
12-29-2005, 10:47 PM
You are right about no activation in ANH, I had forgotten. On my ANH Vader, the hum could be from ROTJ actually, and the activation is similar to the last time Vader activates his saber on Cloud City (when he ambushes Luke after being blown out the window, it's a slightly faster speed though), but it's not quite it, it could be from the Dagobah battle but I'm not sure as my darn DVD drive just died while listening for this.

Luke's ROTJ activation is pretty consistant though, not a lot of variance except in speed.

DarthQuack
12-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Either way you put all of that jargan....they are fun :)