PDA

View Full Version : Variant Jedi Temple Assault Battle Pack?

AgentOrange
10-24-2005, 04:41 PM
i go to K-mart to look for this battle pack all the time, since they go quite quickely in this area, I haven't had much luck until recently. I ran across many of these, but all of the troopers in the package did not have the blue colors, they were all plain white... is this a variant or just a factory screw up?

El Chuxter
10-24-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm willing to bet some unscrupulous collector pulled the old switcheroo. It's simple to pull off, though highly unethical.

In this case, a guy (or girl, as the case may be) has three #6 Clonetroopers that are opened. He wants the three blue 501st Troopers that are in this set, but doesn't want another Anakin or Pilot, and thinks the set is overpriced for three figures. So he buys the set, carefully removes the tape, takes out the blue Clonetroopers, repacks the set with his white Clonetroopers, re-tapes the box, and walks back into K-Mart with his receipt. The staff at the returns desk don't know anything about the set 99.9% of the time, so they give him his money back for what they think is an intact, unopened set, which finds its way back onto the shelf a day or so later.

Although it's possible this was a factory error, that's highly unlikely. I think it was a neighborhood scam artist in this case. :(

JawaJoe
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
I've come across this "all white" set too. In fact its still warming the shelf at k mart. I read on another site (rebelscum I think) where someone asked a hasbro rep about this. The rep replied there were NO white sets produced. Apparently its a pretty widespread problem.

sith_killer_99
10-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey, does anyone want an all white JTA pack? I have two. ;)

Darn, I should have kept those reciepts.:(

This stuff is becoming a nasty problem. There have been reports of this garbage happening with the Evolutions sets as well.

The way I see it this problem stems from a couple of things.

1. Slimeballs out to make a buck...scalpers...look for these jerks selling "loose" figures from these sets.

2. Limited funds and lots of product. Collectors who can't afford to keep up with all the new product, probably younger collectors. (no offense to the younger members on these). Definatly loose collectors.

I have also noticed these slimeballs stealing accessories from figures or packages (battle packs, evolutions, etc.).:mad:

tagmac
10-24-2005, 07:46 PM
The one time I found (and bought) this set at K-Mart, I noticed one set had 3 all white clones. It was obviously some moron who switched the figures, because all were missing the left shoulder pad. If it was a true variant, I don't think they'd have been missing. Just sad that they actually took it back, since it's clear on the package that the clones have blue stripes, but then since when was K-Mart known for employing smart people. :rolleyes:

AgentOrange
10-24-2005, 09:15 PM
I know for a fact that this wasn't the old switcharoo... there was 3 of them and they were straight out of the Hasbro box, i took them out myself. i was kinda ****ed when i seen it... didn't get one.

figrin bran
10-25-2005, 12:07 AM
AgentOrange, if you're convinced it wasn't the ol' switcheroo, maybe you can email hasbro and see if they'll do anything about it.

El Chuxter
10-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Like I said, it's possible this was a factory error. It could be the guy in quality control didn't get enough sleep because his wife left him for the milkman or something and so he didn't notice a few cases shipping with figures that were missing the stripes. These sort of errors do happen, with the wrong figures in a package, or the wrong sticker on the box, or whatever. Most collectors consider them worthless, but there are collectors who specialize in errors and snatch these things up.

Only problem is, in this case, it would be very tough to actually prove it's not someone switching figures.

sith_killer_99
10-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Well, yes, it would be difficult, unless you got an unopened case to send to AFA. Oh, wait....hmmmm....LOL

Maybe the guy who was working on the "white" JTA pack later went to work on the Coruscant Attack set. That would explain a lot.;)

kool-aid killer
10-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Im leaning towards it being somebody who just switched the figures. Its tacky, but im sure there are plenty of people who would find a way to justify doing it. Im not going to consider it a varient unless Hasbro says it is. Why would anybody want a varient set like this anyways? The appeal of it was the 501st troops and plain clones are relatively easy to obtain still. Anybody else ever think its odd how some people on ebay pay more for a loose figure than it would cost to obtain the figure on card?

AgentOrange
10-25-2005, 05:29 PM
once again, it was not the old switcharoo... i opened the hasbro box at kmart and it had 3 of those in it w/ the plain troopers, the rest were some of the common battle packs...

and i just went to a target in my area yesterday and they have the Battle of Couresant battle pack with all plain white troopers as well... i didnt open the box on these, but there were 4 of them. the commander baccera in the packages was the correct one (blue)

i'm not likeing this at all... the only reason i would buy these battle packs is for the alternate colored troopers.

El Chuxter
10-25-2005, 06:27 PM
I was actually thinking it could be a factory error after all until you mentioned the same thing happening at Target. The chances of two full cases of an error in which the new Clonetroopers were mixed up with older white Clonetroopers that were exclusive to two different stores, then those cases shipping to the two chains' distribution centers and winding up in stores that are in close geographical proximity to one another. . . . Wow. I suppose it could happen, but you'd have better chances of winning a million dollars in the lottery, then immediately being struck twice by lightning even as you're dealt a royal flush.

I don't know how, but this sounds more and more suspicious. Maybe the thief works at the K-Mart and managed to switch out the figures and re-seal the case before they even made it out to the floor, and did the switch the old-fashioned way at Target. It could even be employees (or managers) from both stores. These chains have really strict rules for the handling of merchandise and employee purchases, but the rules aren't always obeyed.

As for Bacarra, that one's pretty simple. Whoever did this had the first Bacarra, so he knew what a piece of crap it was.

It really sounds like there's an especially devious scoundrel in your area. My advice for you would be to ask if anyone's willing to trade for something else.

Val Da Car
10-26-2005, 01:45 PM
pictures, anyone...hello?

jedi master sal
10-26-2005, 05:02 PM
I was actually thinking it could be a factory error after all until you mentioned the same thing happening at Target. The chances of two full cases of an error in which the new Clonetroopers were mixed up with older white Clonetroopers that were exclusive to two different stores, then those cases shipping to the two chains' distribution centers and winding up in stores that are in close geographical proximity to one another. . . . Wow. I suppose it could happen, but you'd have better chances of winning a million dollars in the lottery, then immediately being struck twice by lightning even as you're dealt a royal flush.

I don't know how, but this sounds more and more suspicious. Maybe the thief works at the K-Mart and managed to switch out the figures and re-seal the case before they even made it out to the floor, and did the switch the old-fashioned way at Target.

It really sounds like there's an especially devious scoundrel in your area.

I have to agree with you Chux. Reading your post made me think about the probablity of this too. Here's a guess to what could have happened. The case(s) that AgentOrange opened could have been opened from the bottom. The "desired" figures taken out and replaced, then the sets put back in. The box would be resealed (again from the bottom), so that when it was opened on the sales floor, it would have every appearance of being an unopened box.

A little extreme? yes. But if Hasbro has said they did not make these battle packs in those varieties, then it has to be a case of "switcheroo." Given the probablity that Chux explored above, it would be nigh on impossible for the mistake to have happened at the factory level.

My further conjecture is that it's one unscrupulous scalper (or even a hoarding collector) who made deals with store employees. Could be he's an employee of one of the stores and made a deal with someone from the other store or has a buddy on the inside of that other store.

That's just a guess but I think at least an educated thought out one.
-Sal

Slicker
10-26-2005, 05:09 PM
pictures, anyone...hello?They're worth a thousand words. Take pics of the tape on the packaging. If someone is indeed doing this in a stockroom the reseal won't look good at all. The sticky will be gone from the portion peeled up first and it won't stick anymore.

BTW, post 2,700!!

JawaJoe
10-26-2005, 10:26 PM
I spose it could be a factory screw up. The throne room pack has 1 imp dignitary included yet the other one is pictured on the back.

jedi master sal
10-27-2005, 11:15 AM
They're worth a thousand words. Take pics of the tape on the packaging. If someone is indeed doing this in a stockroom the reseal won't look good at all. The sticky will be gone from the portion peeled up first and it won't stick anymore.

BTW, post 2,700!!

Hmm, they could use "Goo-gone," to get rid of the excess sticky and use new tape. (And I bet they would have pilfered both the goo-gone and tape from the store as well) Providing all of this is true, it seems like a hellof alot of work just for some figs.

AgentOrange
10-27-2005, 01:48 PM
You people gotta realize that I honestly don't give a f*** if these are real or not. You can argue with me all you want, I know what I saw in those stores, i took them out of the sealed hasbro box that they had got into stock that day for god sakes, I know they were real. if you don't believe me I could honestly care less, I don't know what is so hard to believe about it, you people honestly have no idea what they do in the Hasbro factory, and anyone who says they do are obviously lying, and any person who would lie about something like that are the kind of people who bragged about being in AV or Chess club in school. So your opinions on my find mean nothing to me, but I have noticed that a lot of you people just argue for the sake of arguing, maybe you get some sorta closure out of it, I don’t know. I just wanted to know if these were rare or not because I honestly had and still have no idea, I don’t care whether any of you think they are real or not, that was not the issue for me, because I KNOW they were real. maybe you think there are people out there that would go out of their way to do the "ol' switch-a-roo" but I guarantee you people around here have better things to do than rip off a department store for figurines, maybe you think this because you do that yourselves. Anyone who would do that needs to seriously needs to rethink their wortless lives. I'll go ask someone who knows what’s going on, because you people obviously don't know a damn thing, and you all deem it more important to mock people, rather than admit you actually have no idea. So goodbye and enjoy your hateful, empty lives.

Val Da Car
10-27-2005, 02:00 PM
I am not arguing with anyone I am realist more than an optimist.

I just figured that proof of this variant is in the pudding.

That's all, nothing more.

El Chuxter
10-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Wow. I didn't realize I was being hateful or argumentative for the sake of arguing. I appreciate your putting me straight on that. (That's sarcasm, but in a humorous way rather than a mean-spirited way. Just want to be sure we're on the same page as that.)

Like I said, it's possible that a case of error figures leaked to your local K-Mart. And it's possible that the Target figures being screwed up was unrelated to the K-Mart error (which is a more likely scenario than both stores getting error cases). In either case, yes, the error packs would be rare, but only worth what an error collector is willing to pay for them. This is really tough to judge, and about the only way to find out is to actually put them on eBay. However, this would be such an easy error to fake, I don't know how many people would bid on them.

I don't think anyone has been trying to argue with you per se, but the sad fact is that lowlifes who will switch out figures are everywhere, and almost every day there's a report of someone finding a switched figure somewhere. If it can happen in Smalltown, America, then 'm sure a city the size of Buffalo is no exception. I wish it wasn't the case, because it makes it really tough for the rest of us to find the figures we want and are willing to obtain honestly.

I hope you can forgive our collective scepticism regarding this matter.

jedi master sal
10-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, I for one WAS arguing for the sake of it...(You didn't really believe that now did you?)

I think that we are stuck on the notion that these weren't real. I gave a guess as to what could have happened. Not to be argumentative, just conjecture. Honestly, even if these are real and are rare, considering that the #6 white clone can be found just about anywhere puts this all-white variant in a rather unsellable category. Who really wants another #2 Anakin?
As Chux said it's an easy thing to fake.

I think that what we may have been trying to do, not so directly, is to say that you shouldn't get your hopes up about the rarity or value in this set.

I personally don't believe it's a real set. That's not being argumentaitve persay. It's just that we've been told by Hasbro that they did not case this battle pack in that assortment. I concede that it could have been a manufacturing plant error in packaging, but that's all it is.

Okay, so let's all play nice fellow and no cussing, asterisk marks aside. I think this went just a little out of hand, so let's get back on topic.

Yes the set you found is rare, but an unintentional mistake in packaging.

-Sal

timmae
10-27-2005, 07:48 PM
just a variant/mistake i would have passed on. what a rip anyway at 32.99! (still bought one) i really like the blue troopers. can't wait to score the tactical ops #55!:hurt: