PDA

View Full Version : orginal jabba the hut character

star gazer
10-27-2005, 09:59 AM
I have heard stories how Jabba the hut was originally a humanoid type and that there was a scene in a new hope with him and Han Solo on Mos Eisley. I have a friend who has seen it on a DVD, but every time he comes over we can never find it. Can someone please tell me where to look for this scene? Thanks

Bobby Fett
10-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Sorry, I got temporarily stupid on this one!

Slicker
10-27-2005, 10:21 AM
The scene with the human Jabba (the actors name was Declan Mulholland) was never released on video. It was taped and they were supposed to use some sort of Jabba (I'm not sure how they were gonna do it) but the budget wasn't big enough.

The guy that played Jabba died just recently if I'm not mistaken.

Here's a pic of him and Han in the scene. Picture (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/bts/article/f19970115/img/jabba1_bg.jpg)

Droid
10-27-2005, 10:43 AM
The scene with a "human" Jabba can only be seen on the old video From Star Wars to Jedi as far as I know.

2-1B
10-27-2005, 11:55 AM
I think it's on the SE video too, when they show how they added that craptacular CG Jabba mark I.

Slick, I think they originally planned to layer a stop motion creature over Declan but I don't know exactly, other than how else could they do it ? No CG at the time so it would have been interesting to see how it turned out.

JimJamBonds
10-27-2005, 12:41 PM
I think it's on the SE video too, when they show how they added that craptacular CG Jabba mark I.

Slick, I think they originally planned to layer a stop motion creature over Declan but I don't know exactly, other than how else could they do it ? No CG at the time so it would have been interesting to see how it turned out.

That sounds right to me, I know I have it on video somewhere in a 'making of' type segment.

El Chuxter
10-27-2005, 12:54 PM
On the SE VHS tapes, they have a brief "making of" documentary that shows the original version of this bit, before the guy was replaced by a CG Jabba and Boba Fett was digitally added. He doesn't appear anywhere on the DVD to my knowledge, but there may be a brief glimpse of him in one of the documentaries.

The original novelization described him as a shaggy humanoid with a huge head. Marvel used this description in a story from the late 70s called "Whatever Happened to Jabba the Hut?" (The second 't' was added later.) They used a cantina character who kind of fits the bill and has since been named Mosep (http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/anewhope/dark/images/mosep.gif) (and is now supposed to be Jabba's accountant, who kind of went nuts and impersonated Jabba for a while) to represent Jabba.

The pre-1997 Expanded Universe stories, based upon the fact that Harrison Ford shot scenes with Mulholland, said the fat guy in the fur coat was named Heater, and he was Jabba's decoy. Some people believed Heater to be Jabba, but Han was not fooled, having met Jabba earlier.

Although the Special Editions show Han meeting Jabba, there's never been any confirmation that Heater never existed. He just wasn't in the docking bay with Han at that time.

JEDIpartner
10-27-2005, 01:39 PM
I was going to mention Mosep but you totally beat me to it!! :)

JediTricks
10-27-2005, 10:17 PM
The raw footage was also on that Star Wars CD-ROM whose name I cannot remember at all right now. "Magic" or "Ultimate" or something like that.

2-1B
10-28-2005, 03:07 AM
Behind the Magic, a 2 disc set. It's sitting right here next to my computer but I had to wipe off the dust to read the cover. :crazed:

star gazer
10-28-2005, 09:03 AM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find an older video and check it out.

JediTricks
10-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks Caes. I never bought that back in the day, always regretted it.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks Caes. I never bought that back in the day, always regretted it.I got mine in the glut of Kellogg's cereal offers in the mid-90s (Stormtrooper Han figure, videos, spoons or dishes [?? not sure about this one], etc.). All it cost was POP, S&H, and the lining of my stomach slowly eaten away by sugar. :p
The SW:365 book by John Knoll has some great ne'er-before-seen photos, some include the "Heater" filmed scene and a shot of the back streets of Mos Eisley with the character who was apparently the model for the Marvel Comics "Jabba" (this mysterious "Mosep" who's been spoken of).

2-1B
10-31-2005, 12:35 AM
Bel-Cam are you talking about the Apple Jacks "making of" video ?

To my knowledge, the Behind the Magic CD-ROM wasn't released thru the cereal promotions.

JEDIpartner
10-31-2005, 01:39 PM
CLICK HERE!! (http://vfxhq.com/1997/stills/sw/sw14.jpg)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Bel-Cam are you talking about the Apple Jacks "making of" video ?

To my knowledge, the Behind the Magic CD-ROM wasn't released thru the cereal promotions.Yes I was. But perhaps my memory fails me, because I own the BTM CD-ROM and the Making Of.. video, so maybe I forgot which one it's on. Only the video came via cereal consumption and the postal service, the CD-ROM was from a major nationwide electronics store, food-less.

This could call for a BSLOS on my part:
"...I got in a fight,
Uh huh.
It ain't no big thing." :( :rolleyes:

2-1B
11-05-2005, 11:36 AM
How does Lita Ford qualify as a BSLOS ? :confused:
:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

So where was the BTM CDROM available ? I eBayed mine a year or two after the fact so I don't know much about its exclusivity. :)

TheDarthVader
11-05-2005, 09:44 PM
I believe there is also footage of this in the "Making of Star Wars" video. I will have to watch mine again.

B.
TDV

El Chuxter
11-07-2005, 07:08 PM
I believe both Behind the Magic and the TPM follow-up (The Episode I Insider's Guide) were available just about everywhere computer software was sold. I think I got both of mine at Best Buy years ago.

I'm also pretty sure that a few years after they went out of production, the BTM CD-ROMs were reissued as some sort of Best Buy exclusive.