PDA

View Full Version : Target exclusives. . . aside from the stupid coin

El Chuxter
10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
It looks like Target will be having an exclusive DVD called Star Wait (http://weeklyad.target.com/target/listing_detail.asp?storeid=2395084&listingid=-2096291938&ref=%2Ftarget%2Fcategory%5Fbrowse%2Easp%3FStoreID% 3D2395084%26CatTreeID%3D136215%26ViewMode%3D0%26cl icksrc%3D01) for $4.99, as well as a 2-CD set called Star Wars: The Corellian Edition (http://weeklyad.target.com/target/listing_detail.asp?storeid=2395084&listingid=-2096297147&ref=%2Ftarget%2Fcategory%5Fbrowse%2Easp%3FStoreID% 3D2395084%26CatTreeID%3D136215%26ViewMode%3D0%26cl icksrc%3D01) for $14.99.

While Star Wait sounds like one of those "kinda stupid, but possibly worth picking up since it's so cheap" dealios, I'm more interested in info about The Corellian Edition CDs. Anyone know anything about these? It says they're "The best of Episodes 1-6" and "Composed and Conducted by John Williams." If it's just straight-up re-released stuff, it's probably worthless. But I'll definitely pick it up if it's got the single versions of "Across the Stars" and "Battle of the Heroes," since Sony Classical doesn't seem to be on the ball about "Ultimate Edition" soundtracks for AOTC and ROTS.

I guess if no one posts here, we'll all know tomorrow. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
What do you mean "single versions" of those songs? Aren't they the ones on the regular CDs?

El Chuxter
10-31-2005, 07:16 PM
The single version of "Across the Stars" starts with the SW main title theme and segues into the track called "Love Theme from Attack of the Clones." It also contains film dialogue.

I'm not sure about the single edit of "Battle of the Heroes," but I assume it's the audio track from the "A Hero Falls" music video.

The single version of "Duel of the Fates" also contains film dialogue, but it's been commercially released on Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace: Ultimate Edition soundtrack.

2-1B
10-31-2005, 11:16 PM
What's so stupid about the coin ? I've not seen a pic yet and I'm curious about it. I'll be picking up Star Wait, worth a few bucks I'm sure because I have a few of the other "fan doc" DVDs out there with footage of the goofy fans and it's worth a look now and then. lol

JEDIpartner
11-01-2005, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure about the single edit of "Battle of the Heroes," but I assume it's the audio track from the "A Hero Falls" music video.

I have it... I'd say it's about 95% the same.

JimJamBonds
11-01-2005, 10:19 AM
It looks like Target will be having an exclusive DVD called Star Wait (http://weeklyad.target.com/target/listing_detail.asp?storeid=2395084&listingid=-2096291938&ref=%2Ftarget%2Fcategory%5Fbrowse%2Easp%3FStoreID% 3D2395084%26CatTreeID%3D136215%26ViewMode%3D0%26cl icksrc%3D01) for $4.99, as well as a 2-CD set called Star Wars: The Corellian Edition (http://weeklyad.target.com/target/listing_detail.asp?storeid=2395084&listingid=-2096297147&ref=%2Ftarget%2Fcategory%5Fbrowse%2Easp%3FStoreID% 3D2395084%26CatTreeID%3D136215%26ViewMode%3D0%26cl icksrc%3D01) for $14.99.

While Star Wait sounds like one of those "kinda stupid, but possibly worth picking up since it's so cheap" dealios, I'm more interested in info about The Corellian Edition CDs. Anyone know anything about these? It says they're "The best of Episodes 1-6" and "Composed and Conducted by John Williams." If it's just straight-up re-released stuff, it's probably worthless. But I'll definitely pick it up if it's got the single versions of "Across the Stars" and "Battle of the Heroes," since Sony Classical doesn't seem to be on the ball about "Ultimate Edition" soundtracks for AOTC and ROTS.

This Corellian Edition friend of yours sounds like the bonus disk that came with the soundtrack.

JEDIpartner
11-01-2005, 11:04 AM
If anyone gets this... please post the tracklisting. :) I'm passing on it but I'm curious!

Thanks!!!

2-1B
11-01-2005, 12:39 PM
A friend was going to buy it, thinking it was a 2 discer but then realized it's just a 50 minute bonus CD with the regular Backstroke of the West CD soundtrack . . . and it's packed in a bonus sleeve or something, so I don't think it's worth it.

JEDIpartner
11-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Weak. :mad:

rich_of_the_dead
11-01-2005, 07:09 PM
i got to target today when they opened @ 8:00 by the time i got my dvd they had only 4 left in the entire store w/ the coin and the utapah shadowtrooper was locked on the shelf that took another few minutes to get someone to open it i must say its pretty cool

CooLJoE
11-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I went around to Target and Walmart around 12:30pm-1pm and managed to get the DVD with the coin (target), Star Wait (target), and the DVD with the Story DVD (walmart). And it didn't look like they were going to be hard to find. Lots of DVD w/ coin left, about 10 or so Star Wait, and like 20 of the DVD w/ Story DVD.

What made my day was going to BestBuy to see what they had, knowing the lithograph was only for Rewards members. When I got to their little table (complete with employee half dressed like Vader), I noticed they had like 50-100 of the lithographs left, and it didn't look like they were going anywhere. That will teach BestBuy to use exclusives as a way to get Rewards memberships. Sorry BestBuy, we aren't going to sign up just to get an exclusive.

As for the 2nd DVD I got, my friend is going to buy it from me for $15 (lowest price out there, which is at bestbuy). He doesn't care about the special items.

JON9000
11-02-2005, 02:40 PM
I got my DVD at Target. I thought the coin was the coolest of the specials. I'm going to get a friend to burn the DVD and I refuse to allow Best Buy to inundate with spam, or whatever you have to allow in order to join rewards just for the lithograph, which was no big deal anyway.

JEDIpartner
11-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Can you do that? It says it's "Copy Protected"...

JON9000
11-02-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm going to watch it this weekend... I may not even want it.

2-1B
11-02-2005, 11:24 PM
I got the coin today and I think it is awesome ! I love it. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2005, 08:36 AM
I too felt that the coin was the best of the "exclusives" out there. I could not find any Star Waits, nor Corellian Editions, so I might be out of luck on those ones. Oh well, I'll have more money to sink into SW books then. :greedy:

JimJamBonds
11-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I too felt that the coin was the best of the "exclusives" out there. I could not find any Star Waits, nor Corellian Editions, so I might be out of luck on those ones. Oh well, I'll have more money to sink into SW books then. :greedy:

What does the coin look like? Anybody have a scan/pic of it?

sith_killer_99
11-03-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm going to get a friend to burn the DVD

Blasphemy!

I have burned many a DVD, but the Holy Trilogy is sacred and the PT falls somewhere under the higharchy of the entire SW pantheon and as such is off limits to "burning".:Pirate:

LOL...JK;)

Can you do that? It says it's "Copy Protected"...

Hahahahahahahaha...............Hahahahahaha......

That's a good one JEDIpartnr! "Copy Protected" hilarious!:laugh:

JEDIpartner
11-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I dunno... some of these CDs I have had been rather problematic regarless of which copy programme I use.

2-1B
11-03-2005, 01:07 PM
JimJam I don't have a scan handy but it's very cool, I'll show you Saturday. It comes in a coin protector case and I've got some of those clear plastic stands for displaying cards, so I'm gonna prop up that coin on a little stand.

I think it is far and away cooler than the Story DVD, but being a completist I got that one too . . . and I sold my Target DVD to a friend who wants it as a gift for her nephew. I sold it to her for $10, it was win/win for each of us. :)

sith_killer_99
11-03-2005, 05:19 PM
I dunno... some of these CDs I have had been rather problematic regarless of which copy programme I use.

I actually use 2 different programs, one is a DVD "copy" program the other program works with a variety of "copy" programs and removes CSS and region coding. It's called "Region Free DVD" or some such thing. Anyway, I have only had trouble burning 2 DVD's and those may have been flukes...bad discs of problems with my DVD drives. Anyway, I like to have back up copies of my discs.:D

JON9000
11-03-2005, 09:09 PM
If you look at the flipside of the coin, you can see they added a scabbard for the lightsaber!! I guess the picture they went from was a silhouette for the most part. Ahhh, foreign labor!!

JediTricks
11-04-2005, 03:09 PM
I saw the back of the coin on RS and I have to say, it's been the most entertainment I've had all week, it's TERRIBLE! I saw the box at Target last night, they have a photoshop-phoney of what the coin back should look like and it's totally different, they took the battle of the heroes clash scene and made it look like it was embossed bronze, but the actual coin looks... NOTHING like that:
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Free_Target_Collector_Coin_95636.asp
That is LAUGHABLE! :D lol

If you look at the flipside of the coin, you can see they added a scabbard for the lightsaber!! I guess the picture they went from was a silhouette for the most part. Ahhh, foreign labor!!I noticed that too, they're not that far out there though, the silhouette they're basing this from shows the back of Anakin's vest sticking straight out the back like you said. Here's the poster image they were basing it on: http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2005/rotsDVDposter.jpg

2-1B
11-04-2005, 10:04 PM
The back of the coin is hilarious JT, I want to display the packaging along with the coin since it makes such a nice conversation piece. lol

bobafrett
11-04-2005, 11:22 PM
On the back of the coin that is pictured (which is what I assume you are talking about), the pants look like dress slacks not Jedi dress wear. What happened to the boots? How do they let crap like that fly?

JediTricks
11-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Why is Anakin's nose broken? Why is Obi-Wan smiling? Why are they standing in front of a sea of ramen noodles? There's a lot that's really wrong with the back of this coin. I emailed the link to my mother and she was shocked at how bad it was, described it as "primative". :p I suspect we may never know, but I'd love to find out the true story behind this mess - I bet it involves a small budget, short amount of time, and Mexican sculptor who claimed more than he could deliver. ;)

2-1B
11-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't get the Mexican joke. :confused:

Mandalorian Candidat
11-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Not to say that the coin is a pile of junk but now that I bought it I just have to shrug my shoulders and say "what was the big deal?" It's not like I have a coin collection and have a place to display it to wow the neighbors. I pretty much bought it cause I wanted an extra thingy to go with the DVD. Kudos to the Target marketing people behind that one--they made me want to spend my money there instead of WM.

JediTricks
11-06-2005, 01:53 AM
I don't get the Mexican joke. :confused:
It wasn't a joke, the coin was made in Mexico. Mexico is known for cheap moldmaking, they promise something great for a cheaper price than here without sending it to China but the actual delivered work is grossly substandard unless you pay more for better labor which then ends up costing the same as it would here (I know someone in the moldmaking business).

ManCan, I think it being a coin just made it a significant item, it was a "thing" rather than just another data disc or a piece of paper.

2-1B
11-06-2005, 02:04 AM
The sticker on my coin said Made in China. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-06-2005, 10:01 AM
It's not like I have a coin collection and have a place to display it to wow the neighbors.
But what if, like me, you DO have a coin collection, and you DO display it to wow the neighbors? ;) (one of the above statements is true, the other is wishful thinking... I leave it to you to decide which is which.

I pretty much bought it cause I wanted an extra thingy to go with the DVD. Kudos to the Target marketing people behind that one--they made me want to spend my money there instead of WM.Exactly, exactly. As odd as the item seems now, it was the place I picked 'cause I liked the freebie there better than elsewhere (...elusive...).

My shrink wrap plastic said "Made in China" (assumed to be the DVD and packaging case, I guess), while the coin holder itself had a small sticker stating "Made in Mexico." I know the second can't be true, because it should've been "Hecho en Mexico," so somebody's lyin'. :D

Why is Anakin's nose broken? Why is Obi-Wan smiling? Why are they standing in front of a sea of ramen noodles? There's a lot that's really wrong with the back of this coin. I emailed the link to my mother and she was shocked at how bad it was, described it as "primative". :p I suspect we may never know, but I'd love to find out the true story behind this mess - I bet it involves a small budget, short amount of time, and Mexican sculptor who claimed more than he could deliver. ;) Don't you remember the scene that made this movie PG-13, when Obi-Wan headbutts Anakin? Guess he learned it from Jango. :p And I thought they were banyan tree roots, not noodles, JT. Obi-Wan is smiling because he's the "good guy;" it's easier to tell the two Jed Eye Knights apart. I also like the horizontal hilts across the saber handles (no "light" for these weapons).

Oh boy... :rolleyes:

2-1B
11-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Your sticker said Mexico, Bel-Cam ? :confused:

Hmm, perhaps I was wrong then . . . but I scraped off the sticker and threw it out so I can't say for sure. :ermm:

Mandalorian Candidat
11-06-2005, 09:22 PM
My shrink wrap plastic said "Made in China" (assumed to be the DVD and packaging case, I guess), while the coin holder itself had a small sticker stating "Made in Mexico." I know the second can't be true, because it should've been "Hecho en Mexico," so somebody's lyin'. :D

I think the disc was made in Mexico but the coin was made in China...not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

I don't think there was any bonus thing available when the EP1 or 2 DVDs came out. All I can remember was getting EP2 for $10 at TRU.

bobafrett
11-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm glad I never got this coin, but it seems like there was a lot of "okay" at best items to try to lure your dollars toward one place or another. To bad they didn't have something like was pictured below. This was shipped with the Special Edition trilogy VHS set. A friend of mine got several from the owner of a video store. They were supposed to be packed in with the VHS set, but were far to heavy, so they sent them seperatly and that is how this video store owner got them.

They are about the size of a drink coaster, made of pewter!

JediTricks
11-07-2005, 08:08 PM
I think the disc was made in Mexico but the coin was made in China...not that there's anything wrong with that.
You could be right about that it being made in China with the DVD in Mexico. China's moldmakers are the same way as Mexico though, big promises for cheap but the final result is only up to snuff when the customer pays more for the work.

rich_of_the_dead
11-11-2005, 06:43 PM
my coin says made in mexico too...

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Bumping this thread up, did anyone end up buying and watching the Star Wait DVD? I did today. I realized I hadn't even unwrapped the shrink wrap... and perhaps I should have left it that way. It's video footage... of people waiting in line... and talking about waiting in line... with occasional profanity. :sleeping: I apologize if anyone who's on these boards was a line waiter then and made it on tape, but that was bad. Couldn't even get through it all. Ugh. :sad:

Rocketboy
07-09-2006, 12:43 AM
I watched some of it and couldn't finish it - boring. I'm glad it was only $2.99.

Speaking of Target exclusives, the other day I noticed my Target still has some ROTS with coins.

2-1B
07-09-2006, 01:20 AM
I bought Star Wait, watched it with Jim Jam, and we laughed at many of the people in it. Hilarious. Haven't watched it since, though. Bel-Cam, if there are any line waiters from the DVD signed up here, I won't be apologizing. :crazed:

The guy wearing chainmail was extra-absurd. lol

JimJamBonds
07-11-2006, 12:04 PM
I bought Star Wait, watched it with Jim Jam, and we laughed at many of the people in it. Hilarious. Haven't watched it since, though. Bel-Cam, if there are any line waiters from the DVD signed up here, I won't be apologizing. :crazed:

The guy wearing chainmail was extra-absurd. lol

Wow I forgot all about that! I'll have to borrow that sometime so I can refresh my memory. :D