PDA

View Full Version : General Kenobi?

sith_killer_99
01-19-2002, 12:17 AM
I have an interesting theory for EPIII!

I think that Obi-Wan will be leaving the Jedi Order!!!

Think about it. In ANH Leia refers to Obi-Wan as Geneal Kenobi. He is refered to as Ben Kenobi, and says that he has not gone by the name Obi-Wan since before Luke was born.

My theory is that Obi-Wan goes off to join the Military and fight in the Clone Wars. To do this he would have to have gone against the Jedi Council, which would explain why he no longer uses the name Obi-Wan (his Jedi name). There is no way that Yoda would have simply alowed a Jedi to go off and lead a war. Remember his comment to Luke "Wars not make one great."

Perhaps this sets a bad example for Anakin. Perhaps Anakin gets involved in the war, which starts his journey towards the Darkside? :Pirate:

In any event Obi-Wan will no longer be a part of the Jedi Order at the end of EPIII.
This would explain a few things. Like, how he managed not to get killed with all the other Jedi. Why he knew that Amidala was pregnant before Anakin. How he managed to go out and hide Luke and Leia while the Jedi were probably fighting for their lives.

It just makes sense to me.

Thoughts?:crazed:

SithDroid
01-19-2002, 12:51 AM
I like your theory and it somewhat makes sense. However with lines like that "I haven't went by the name of Obi-Wan, well since you were born," I don't take too seriously. I mean if you want another example of a line that is hard to fit into the prequel it would be "When I met your father he was the greatest starfighter in the galaxy," or something like that, I can't remember the EXACT line off the top of my head. But the whole problem is that he met Anakin when he was 10. Sure he did the podracing thing, but Obi-Wan didn't witness that. And sure he blew up the Trade Federation Base, but it was by accident and I could hardly call his flying of the ship as great. Certainly not the greatest. Some of those lines don't bother me. What bothers me is that GL might go back into ANH and delete those lines to make continuity better. I hope he doesn't. Like I've said before it would be much easier to make a TPM Special Edition to fix a lot of the PLOT HOLES "See GL says midichlorians were the idea the whole time," thread for my solution to that problem and also "Do you like the change in Owens relationship," thread for my take on that whole thing.

JediTricks
01-19-2002, 01:22 AM
When I wrote my all-new Ep 1 (one of my favorite challenges of the old forums - http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=9&PID=548 [my second post in the thread]), I had it start out with Obi-Wan leaving the Jedi to help out with the war effort since the Jedi council wouldn't because they've become a useless bureaucracy. However, what I knew I'd have to fix it because of this ANH line:

LUKE: You fought in the Clone Wars?

BEN: Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father.Obviously being a Jedi and being part of the Clone Wars was synonymous to Obi-Wan, who assumed it would be for Luke as well.

Obi-Don
01-19-2002, 04:28 AM
Interesting idea. This could make a lot of sence of the lines said to Luke in ANH. Being that a Jedi doesn't get envoled in matters of the State. And there is one line that Qui-Gon says"I can only protect you,I can't fight a war for you." and "we can not use our power to help them",said to Obi-Wan. This makes me wonder if the Jedi were not to take sides in a war. Do get what I'm tring to say here? If this was true then Obi-Wan would have left the order to fight in the war. It just a idea going off what has been posted here.

Rollo Tomassi
01-19-2002, 01:22 PM
I think what Qui Gon meant was "there are only two of us and 100,000 of them, so I can't fight a war for you because I would get my butt handed to me in about 90 seconds. " he was making a pragmatic statement, not a moral one. I agree with JT that the Jedi are at the forefront of the clone wars, which would go a long way to explain the decimation of their ranks.

Co Jo-Da
01-20-2002, 01:22 AM
I think that Episode II will explain the General Kenobi thing... In Attack of the Clones the Clone War will begin and the Jedi's are in command. There have been rumors that Yoda will be call 'General Yoda' many time by CloneTroopers. So by Episode III Obi-Wan (now a Jedi Master) will make the rank of General and be therefor called General Kenobi.

2-1B
01-20-2002, 08:27 PM
I agree Co Jo-Da :)

In the OT, we've seen characters "deputized" before (Han / Lando) and my guess is that Ob-Wan will quickly be known as a General, if only because he's involved with the clone discovery and such.

2-1B
09-04-2005, 02:57 AM
I found it interesting that even though Palps branded Obes as a traitor, Ani still held out hope that he wouldn't have to take action against Kenobi. Of course, it's possible that he was lying to Padme but I think he was serious, he really wanted Ben to stick with him.

Of course Obi wouldn't though, there's no way he could since his allegiance was to the Republic. TO DEMOCRACY.

JimJamBonds
09-04-2005, 12:49 PM
I found it interesting that even though Palps branded Obes as a traitor, Ani still held out hope that he wouldn't have to take action against Kenobi. Of course, it's possible that he was lying to Padme but I think he was serious, he really wanted Ben to stick with him.

Of course Obi wouldn't though, there's no way he could since his allegiance was to the Republic. TO DEMOCRACY.

Really I never caught that part in the movie. Thanks Caesar. ;) lol