PDA

View Full Version : Battle Packs: Love them or Hate them ?

DarkArtist
11-01-2005, 11:03 AM
I gues the question is what do you think of the battlepack idea. If you think about it, Hasbro is listening to us in a way. After all how many of us have asked for more troops for those of us that are army builders ? How many thought the idea of a "Bucket O' Clones" would be cool ?

True, the figures themselves have been for the most part either kitbashed jobs ie the Anakin and mace from the Jedi vs Seperatists set, or rereleases like the Rebellion vs Empire, or Battle of Hoth, or repaints like the Coruscant Assualt set, but for the most part they have been decent sets to get and give us the chance of army building and customizing.

And now with the rumored sets arriving in '06 hopefully Hasbro will continue to listen to us and give us some good sets as well as army builders too.

2-1B
11-01-2005, 11:24 AM
I don't think much of them, at least not enough to buy any.

JEDIpartner
11-01-2005, 11:34 AM
I really only liked the Jedi Temple assault one. I got the Throne room one from Jedi Drew and that kinda helped round out my ROTJ scene... *shrug*

The rest stink.

anti-hero
11-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I've only bought the Temple one so far...

I really don't like the idea that Hasbro doing well on these since they're mostly repaints or straight repacks. I don't want them getting away from resculpting whenever they put out redo's. It'd be better if they actually used some decent figures for the characters they chose. Like the Anakin in the Jedi v Seperatist set. That thing was a piece of crap 3 years ago, and even more so now.

X13VADER
11-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Bought Them All So Far. I Do Want To Army Build So They Have Been Good For That. But I Really Do Not Need The Core Figures Again.

LTBasker
11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Great idea, poor execution as the best ones are exclusives and I'm pretty flipping tired of Target having so many good exclusives. Granted, I was actually able to find K-Mart's exclusive Jedi Temple Assault but they only wanted $30! I'll just wait to get 5-6 carded 501st for that price.

The only set I'm interested in besides the Clone sets is the Clone Wars set, because I already have the figures in the other sets. Head swaps aren't enough to warrant buying those figures again since the rest of the bodies still suck, like Mace Windu.

You know, fine if they want to use these Battle Packs as ways to get the older/main figures out to new collectors but anymore it's just an excuse because they release most of those same figures elsewhere as well!

Turbowars
11-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Great idea, poor execution Yes, this is the perfect answer to this question. I only bought the store exclusives from Target, K-Mart and TRU and the TRU Hoth set was a stretch for me. All the others are crap.

sith_killer_99
11-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Well, I bought them all....mostly because I am crazy.

The exclusives were really the only ones worth paying for, but the problem with those is that several stores over charged for them. I guess Target didn't need to over charge for the Coruscant Attack set, since they have gotten like four $12.99 "exclusive" figures.

What we really need are pure "Army Builder" Battle Packs with good figures. A pack of 5 CT style (or VOTC style) Stormtroopers or a 5 pack of Sandtroopers (clean "Evolutions" style) or better yet a true Army Builder set with 1-Stormtrooper, 1-Sandtrooper, 1-Snowtrooper, 1-Scout Trooper and 1-Imperial Officer.

Something like that would be fantastic and would justify the $20.00 price tag.

Out of all the Battle Packs, the only ones I bought extras of were the JTA, which I found for $24.99 or less and the Coruscant Attack, for which I paid $19.99 each.

I like the TRU Hoth set, but I had multiples of every figure from the set, except for Veers....I only had one of him. I really like the way the set looks in the package.

Ji'dai
11-01-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't like them and haven't bought any. I passed on the SAGA/OTC ones too. I especially hate it when toy makers include one new figure with a bunch of repacks. I ain't buying.

kool-aid killer
11-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I like some, others i dont care for. Im really only after ones that have a couple of army builders. If its a set full of core characters im passing on it. The sets could be a lot better, but they all arent terrible as is.

Rocketboy
11-03-2005, 03:54 PM
The only one I've seen that'd be worth buying (IMO) is the Clone pack. Great for army builders.
If they made at least 2 brand new figures in every pack, then the others might be worth it, or at least remake/repack a few that were harder to find when they first appeared.
Even if they were to make a Jabba's Palace one with Ephont Mon and cut it down by one or two figures (to 3 or 4 total), I think collectors would love it.

trandoshan666
11-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I originally intended to buy all of them, but upon finding each of them, I've passed every time. I agree that the idea is a good one I just haven't been impressed with what we've gotten.

spang2005
11-03-2005, 06:46 PM
The only ones I have bought are the Temple Assult and Jedi vs. Sith. The rest are lame. I really think it's funny that they released the Hoth Battle Set a few weeks before the new Veers was announced. How many people bought this thinking it was the only way they'd ever get a Veers, only to see the new (better) version coming out?

jedi master sal
11-04-2005, 10:52 AM
The only ones I have bought are the Temple Assult and Jedi vs. Sith. The rest are lame. I really think it's funny that they released the Hoth Battle Set a few weeks before the new Veers was announced. How many people bought this thinking it was the only way they'd ever get a Veers, only to see the new (better) version coming out?

How true on all of your comment.

I got the JTA set, JvsSth set and a few of the Clone/Coruscant set. I was bummed at the clone choice for the grey clones. and was looking to buy 11 of those sets before I know what clone they used. Sadly I stopped at 5 sets.

I passed on all of the others. I was mildly tempted by the Hoth set, but just didn't like the troopers and have a few of the Veers from the AT-ATs I got years ago. So, I'm happy I waited, since we are getting the snowtrooper and a MUCH better Veers next year. Though I wish the Snowtrooper was SA as I would have bought a bunch of them. Chances are I'll only get two if it's the same one as before and only slightly retooled.

-Sal

jjreason
11-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Well, I really like the 501st Clonetroopers from the Temple Assault pack - for what that's worth. The Anakin and Pilot figures were extras, which will wind up in a separate bin along with the other duplicate figures we've received in the former incarnation of Battle Packs - the TRU 4 packs with big accessories.

I'm getting a Clone Attack on Coruscant set because (unlike most people) I'm a big fan of the Bacara figure and am looking forward to having the variant blue one on my shelf. The choice of JetPack Clone IS a poor one, but will only bother me for a minute as I'm a mainly-for-display type.

The other Packs I've seen I've passed on. The Han figure in the Rebel vs. Empire set is a terrible one, and the stormtrooper's poor leg looked like it was going to snap, it was so bent in the package. The Jedi vs. Sith set has tempted me twice, but much like the Mustafar Playset it hasn't separated me from my money just yet. The Jedi vs. Separatists pack they can keep - it looks terrible to me.

I still haven't seen the Throne Room or Hoth sets, but will likely pass on them as well. Good idea, bad execution indeed.

DarthBrandon
11-06-2005, 12:27 PM
The only one I wanted was the 501st Temple Assault pack (which as usual cannot be bought here as there is no more K-Marts), the rest IMHO were crap except for maybe the Clone Attack on Coruscant that I can't get here either. These sets were poorly executed & poorly thought out, even the pack with Obi in Clone armor turned out crappy. They should have put some thought into these, but Hasblow will always take the cheapest route in creating a product by using old rehashed figures or just going half way to creating new ones. (i.e. Obi Clone outfit) Since then I've created my own using a S.A. clone with removable helmet, which IMHO is ten times better than what Hasblow could have done. It takes effort, which Hasblow seems to lack in many things they make, they just can't seem to create figures that are well done consistently, which ironically has saved me a lot of quid. (Around three hundred alone on battle packs Hasblow, I'm not stupid or naive, nor will I spend my money on peg warmers from previous waves.) The more I save the less you’ll get Hasblow, this includes your poor case assortments, crappy service to Canadians, your re-hashed / re-painted exclusives that make no sense as well as your laziness in creating consistent products. ( i.e. one arm or leg bends, the other doesn’t) The last S.W. movie is over Hasblow so if you want to keep making S.W. products that collectors will buy it’s time to get off your collective ar%$% & take hold of the horse by the reigns or your going to fall down really fast. Some ideas for you would be to pack army builders (Clones) six to a case, you know what sells & what doesn’t, stop sending too many of the same assortments to your buyers, you ruin it for us this way. Make products that are consistent, make more clones, keep all figures articulation consistent, make more frigin new ships (Cloud Car, Blockade Runner, Turbo Tank, Sith Infiltrator, larger Falcon, that holds four figures in the cockpit for gods sake (they can be exclusives, I have enough X-wings already) we’ve been griping about these for a long time, I will pay half up front if necessary, do not give us the bogus line, it costs too much to make a prototype, if it did, we would not have gotten the vehicles we did this year. You have a licence that’s good for another ten years at least, show us what you can really do or give it to someone that can, I will not spend my money or buy things for my son that are IMHO garbage.

End of rant

POC

Reverend Strone
11-06-2005, 11:13 PM
I have absolutely zero interest in those that include core characters as we already have more than enough incarnations of these to go around. For army building on the other hand, I am totally sold on the clone sets and have picked up any I can lay hands on (even at inflated internet prices- curse living outside the US!). If Hasbro plans to release more of these in future, then I hope they will feature more army-building style sets. I doubt we'll get any new sculpts, but I can be satisfied with repaints and new accessories where applicable.

Ideas? Off teh top of my head, while I sit here:

* Kashyyyk Assault: four camo-scouts and a Gree (with a corrected helmet paint job).

* Search for the Droids: Escape Pod + four sandtroopers with different pauldrons and a patrol droid.

* Battle for Endor: repainted ewok warriors with new accessories and a couple of Stormtroopers.

* Jawa Patrol: four of five jawas with a few of the more obscure droids from teh sandcrawler- maybe a retooled treadwell and gonk?

* Felucia Assault: Commander Bly with a trio of clones and a gelabrub?

* Muunilinst ARC Squad (from Clone Wars): five ARC Troopers including a red captain, with various weaponry.

* Tusken Raiders: five tuskers with various weaponry, sniping guns and gaffi sticks (perhaps with a Tatooine Luke, although lord knows we have enough of these already- maybe a pull-apart 3PO would be better).

MajikNinja
11-07-2005, 02:07 AM
I liked the target and k-mart exclusives... even though the jedi temple attack had the 501's troopers without the double blue line down the side of the legs like the tactical oops troopers. and i like the troops with the grey armor from the target exclusive, i think they should have made a different color commander instead of the blue bacarra... i love all of the clone variations, but i also like to see them movie related. unlike the weird copper colored troops 3 pack from walmart (But i got it anyway)

Rogue II
11-10-2005, 10:27 AM
I like the concept of the battle packs, but the only one I have purchased is the Hoth set, which I got on e-bay for $21, including shipping. Since I don't collect PT figures, and the other 2 OT packs wern't good for army building, there hasn't been a reason for me to buy the rest. If Hasbro started pumping out sets like Reverend Strone mentioned, I'd be all over it.

ROTJLuke
11-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Never was too big on battle packs, dont own any, dont see any worth really getting. Maybe in the future tho...

JON9000
11-10-2005, 05:36 PM
I like the temple assault and assault on Coruscant. Between those two and the Sam's Club specials it would give me a nice little army for about $100

DarkArtist
11-11-2005, 06:35 PM
I was thinking of some new ideas of how Hasbro could continue this wave of battlepacks and give us some new figures to go with them.

Yavin War Room:

Kit Bashed General Dodonna ( Saga General Dodonna Head / Captain Antilles Body)
Rebel Technician
Jek Porkins - rehash or new sculpt
Biggs Darklighter - use the Gold Leader Body
Holo projector
Rebel Pilot transport

Endor Celebration:

Spirit of Obi Wan - Rehash from OTC Dagobah
Spirit of Yoda - new similar design like Dagobah Obi Wan
Spirit of Anakin Skywalker - new figure with Hayden head and style of Dagobah Obi Wan
Endor Luke - Kitbash (Torso from Throne Room Duel, legs from POTF Luke, Arms and head from Saga Jabba's Palace Luke)
Funeral Pyre Darth Vader with funeral pyre, and yes the figure is seperate from the pyre

Attack on Munilist:

Red Arc Trooper
Obi Wan Clone Armor (could be repack from clone wars battle pack)
Durge
Lancer Robot with speeder bike
Lancer Clone with speeder bike

Order 66:

Commander Bacara - new sculpt
3 Galactic Marines
Ki Adi Mundi - new sculpt
bridge accessory
spider droid

Assualt of Hoth Base:

3 Generic Hoth Soliders all different sculpts and faces
Hoth Commander (the one that says Echo station 3ta we have spotted imperial walkers)
Rebel Pilot
Turret Accessory, Trench Accessory, radar cannon

The Court of Jabba the Hutt

Saga Jabba the Hutt with Throne Accessory
Super Articulated Slave Leia
Ephant Mon (Rehash- but gives those who missed him a chance to get him)
Arica ( for those who don't know, Mara Jade)
Klaatu
Salicious Crumb

samskull
11-29-2005, 09:26 AM
When you dream - you dream big. I like your wishlist of Battlepacks - we'll see what lies ahead.