PDA

View Full Version : Lucas tinkering w/ Ep I shown in EP III DVD

Mace Windex
11-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Check out the doc section. A clip of Yoda giving Ani the "Fear leads to anger..." speech now features an EPISODE III Yoda instead of the puppet from Episode I. Did I miss this news? Is puppet Yoda going to be replaced in a new Boxed set? Wonder what other changes are going to happen.

Mace

Lord Malakite
11-04-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty certain the Episode I clip featuring digital Yoda was just a test by Lucas and ILM to see if it could be done realistically looking enough to have Yoda digitally implemented in Episode II and Episode III rather than using the puppet.

I've heard nothing about replacing puppet Yoda in Episode I in the near future, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen eventually knowing Lucas.;)

2-1B
11-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Gonna disagree in part with you there Malakite because in the ROTS "Making of" book, it said that ILM was just sitting around during preproduction waiting for work and they gave them that Yoda project as a warm up. Hopefully they're going to drop the CG Yoda into TPM but don't worry because they recently said they won't touch him in the OT. But hopefully they'll do TPM. :)

I bumped up this thread in the TPM forum (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=28571) where we were talking about it awhile back. :)

decadentdave
11-05-2005, 01:42 AM
Looks awesome and I am so glad that they will replace that retarded-looking puppet for the 2007 30th Anniversary box set on HD. And while Lucas is tinkering around with Menace, maybe he could cut out some more Jar Jar scenes while he's at it.

Actually, I just watched Menace again recently to see if Sith made it any more bearable. There is not much tinkering Lucas can do to make that film watchable again.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I never liked the idea of Lucas dicking around with his original stuff other to clean up technical glitches, but I'd welcome an EP1 CG Yoda. It would give a cleaner continuity to the prequels and get rid of those creepy old man bug eyes he has in EP1. I'd live the puppet for the OT exclusively. It would be like Lucas raiding your vintage collection and replacing all of them with cheap crap made in a Thailand sweat shop.

LTBasker
11-05-2005, 07:08 PM
I'd definitely prefer CGI Yoda in TPM. Granted, if they were to do it to the OT I'd be marching ala Vader's legion to Skywalker Ranch, but the TPM Yoda puppet was really crappy looking. He was CGI for that overhead shot we see of him walking around Obi-Wan anyways, may as well do it to the rest of him.

C5Jedi
11-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I hope he does replace the Ep1 Yoda with a digital Yoda. The Ep1 Yoda is painful to watch. It's also too bad they couldn't have got Anthony Daniels voice closer to how he sounded in Ep4-6.

I think Lucas should do whatever tinkering he wants to but also release Ep 4-6 as they were originally shown during their original release. It would be a nice addition to a 30th anniversary set to also have the original released versions and really wouldn't be that much trouble to add.

The one thing that bothered me in ROTS (which I liked a lot) was Vader's scream at the killing of Padme. Too stagey - overly dramatic.. I hope they replace that but I'm sure they won't.. Reminds me of the Luke falling into the Bespin tubes scream...

JimJamBonds
11-07-2005, 12:24 PM
From my understanding they did test work for AOTC on the Yoda from ESB.

2-1B
11-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Yes, that is shown in the Puppets to Pixels doc.

General_Grievous
11-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Hopefully they can bring Frank Oz in to re-record his TPM lines, too. To make Yoda sound like he did in AOTC and ROTS. Because when you compare Yoda's voice in that to the rest of the saga, you can hear a big difference.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-07-2005, 05:41 PM
The sound on this clip in the doc was off, kind of like they recorded the line off of a TV. He moved a little weird, but I liked it a lot better than that stupid cat-looking puppet.

I agree on the voices; there's continuity between AOTC, ROTS, ESB, and ROTJ, but TPM is the odd duck.

While they are at it, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the cartoony CGI cleaned up. They've made leaps and bounds since 1999 CGI-wise (and even moreso than 1997 - the SE CGI is the worst!).

JimJamBonds
11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
While they are at it, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the cartoony CGI cleaned up. They've made leaps and bounds since 1999 CGI-wise (and even moreso than 1997 - the SE CGI is the worst!).

They've cleaned up Jabba (a bit) along with "Greedo shoots first."

decadentdave
11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
They've cleaned up Jabba (a bit) along with "Greedo shoots first."

Jabba still looks terrible. It is amazing that they can make Yoda look so convincingly real, yet they can't seem to design a realistic looking Jabba.

JimJamBonds
11-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Jabba still looks terrible. It is amazing that they can make Yoda look so convincingly real, yet they can't seem to design a realistic looking Jabba.

I agree Jabba doesn't look all that good, but the dvd version is better then the SE Vhs version. I think part of the problem is 1) Han walks behind Jabba so he has to do something silly like walk on him and 2) Jabba is moving around so 'quickly' yet when we see him in ROTJ he's a huge tub of goo.

decadentdave
11-08-2005, 01:43 PM
I agree Jabba doesn't look all that good, but the dvd version is better then the SE Vhs version. I think part of the problem is 1) Han walks behind Jabba so he has to do something silly like walk on him and 2) Jabba is moving around so 'quickly' yet when we see him in ROTJ he's a huge tub of goo.

For someone who prides himself on his editorial skills, I'm amazed Lucas doesn't cheat the shot with a cutaway to Boba or somebody when Han walks behind Jabba. Then he doesn't have to actually show Han step on his tail. The audience logically assumes Han walked behind Jabba during the cutaway shot. Come on George, it's not rocket science.

sith_killer_99
11-08-2005, 05:38 PM
I think George just liked the scene with Han walking on Jabba's tail.

Remember part of what he did was for his own personal eccentricities.