PDA

View Full Version : Presenting - the Kaminoan

Lord Tenebrous
01-19-2002, 11:58 AM
They look great, but man, I'd bet Hasbro had some difficulty getting the color scheme right...

Lord Tenebrous
01-19-2002, 11:59 AM
Second image...I guess this is Taun We.

chewie
01-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Hmmmm... I also take it that's Jango w Boba in that 2nd pic.

Cool stuff you got there.

snakeplkn
01-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Looks like a cross between Yarael Poof, Gasgano, and all the aliens from the UFO documentaries. I wonder if the Kaminoans will suffer from some obnoxious accent.

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

chewie
01-19-2002, 12:14 PM
I was hoping for a more crustacean appearance for the Kaminoans. I knew they were tall and white by looking at that short flying whale sequence in the trailers, but I was thinking they might have had more of a segmented or shrimp-like look.

AreTwo-DeeTwo
01-19-2002, 12:20 PM
The Kaminoans, IMO, look very similar to the last alien we see in Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I like the look, but like what snakeplkn said I hope their voices are decent.

Lord Tenebrous
01-19-2002, 12:31 PM
Just a fun fact:

ILM modified the alien-mechs at the end of "A.I." to create the Kaminoans. Their air whale mounts were formed by altering JP3's pteranodon model.

snakeplkn
01-19-2002, 04:38 PM
Great ... more kitbashed madness with dinosaurs disguised as Rontos and the T-1000 pretending to be a stormtrooper.

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

Wooooof
01-19-2002, 05:05 PM
These guys are supposed to be the ones who perfected the cloning process? Their brains can't be any bigger than a potato to fit into that itty-bitty cranium!!:confused:

Pretty neat, but why do all the prequel aliens seem so insubstantial when compared to the OT creatures?

mabudonicus
01-19-2002, 05:07 PM
That pic is quite cool, but it's true about the voices being make or break. I thought Jar Jar looked cool from the first stills I saw..... Maybe they'll talk like the junkions in transformers HAH! I bet their voices are kinda burbly, like mer man only a little less over the top. As long as they don't have some porrly disguised, stereotypical terrestrial accent, we're okay( if any there are any alien merchants with hindu accents I don't know what we'll do!!)

Fulit
01-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Do not like the way these aliens look. They remind me of those damned aliens at the end of that stinkfest A.I.

Jargo
01-19-2002, 07:12 PM
I imagine the voices to be soft almost hushed. I've seen Anthony Phelan who is playing Lama Su act on TV and his voice is deep and almost husky. If they treat these creatures as slow moving and almost floaty which is what was hinted at in spoiler reports some time ago then the soft vocals would fit. I don't know Rena Owen who plays Taun we at all, so I can't comment on her. But I think softly spoken is the only way to go.

Tipoca city looks like one of those private hospitals that's spotless and almost silent as you walk round, like speaking is frowned upon. If the Kaminoans are more into the research and science side of the cloning then it kinda fits that they'd not be very noisy. Perhaps they're telepathic somehow?

Perhaps their brain isn't in their head? They are aliens after all and there's no reason to assume they have the same physiology as us. For all we know they could have two brains or four. Or function without a tissue based modus operandi.

I haven't seen A.I. so I have no point of reference as far as those aliens go but it doesn't matter to me as these fit the environment as far as I'm concerned. I can accept them as being superior beings with amazing technology at their disposal. In a sense they're no worse than a huge talking slug or a bounty hunting lizard...... :)

Nice shots though. I really dig Lama Su's costume. Can't wait to see what Hasbro does with these. Although from the listings on the net it looks like they planned on releasing Taun We first.

Jedi Clint
01-19-2002, 07:24 PM
Very nice!

GNT
01-19-2002, 08:30 PM
---- YEAH! was the first thing that I said when I saw them,pretty sweet its so nice to put a face to a body now :)

Jedi Clint
01-19-2002, 09:55 PM
http://www.cinescape.com/24/editorial.asp?aff_id=24&this_cat=Prequel+News&action=page&obj_id=32353

T'bone has asked that we click the link to learn about the pictures. There is more information on these pictures at the link.

Co Jo-Da
01-20-2002, 01:45 AM
Don't they look like the aliens in 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'? Either way they look really cool and I can't wait to see them riding those huge Flying Whales...

Beast
01-20-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Wooooof
These guys are supposed to be the ones who perfected the cloning process? Their brains can't be any bigger than a potato to fit into that itty-bitty cranium!!:confused:
Pretty neat, but why do all the prequel aliens seem so insubstantial when compared to the OT creatures?

Why does a being need a large cranium for to be smart, look at humans, we are pretty smart and only use about 10% of are brains. Not that we are all that smart anyway, since we use most of our intelligence to devise ways to kill each other. Small animals like rats, cats, and etc...are highly intelligent and have small brains. Remeber, it's not the size that matters....but how you use it. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wooooof
01-20-2002, 02:11 AM
I don't know, I've seen some pretty stupid cats in my day; but yousa point is well said!;)

chewie
01-20-2002, 04:19 AM
All that stuff about humans only using 10% of our brains is a bunch o' nonsense, IMO. Whomever determined that has never yet proven that humans can even access any extra portions of the brain in which to think with. I think the large mass is required just to keep us on the level that we currently are at.

Its a brain-size/cranium ratio thing that determines smarts. A tiny creature can be as smart as a human, as long as its brain is as large as a human brain to its own cranium proportions.

Obi-Don
01-20-2002, 05:22 AM
I like the look and they do remind me of Close Encounters.

derek
01-20-2002, 06:25 AM
the human head weighs ten pounds. bees and dogs can smell fear. the elephant has a very large brain, and most of them work for clowns at a circus.

Jargo
01-20-2002, 10:05 AM
But you're all still assuming that the Kaminoans have got brains in their cranium, if they have a cranium that is. Alien is as alien is - ALIEN! viz: strange, unusual, not normal, beyond the realms of experience etc.

Although lama Su does look like he has the hands of mickey mouse...... :rolleyes: :crazed:

mabudonicus
01-20-2002, 11:56 AM
Yeah, science is pretty funny that way. It'd be a good idea to make every factoid concerning the brain(and most of the body for that matter) have"or so we think" attached to it, then people wouldn't get confused and start thinking that oft-quoted myths mean anything(I'm not putting anyone here down at all, it's just that saying we know NOTHING about the human brain is probably more accurate than saying we know anything about it. kinda like the force......)

Co Jo-Da
01-20-2002, 01:52 PM
They still look cool to me and I'll glad GL borrowed the look from Spielberg...

Jargo
01-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Y'know, cool as these kaminoans are, being archetypaly alien looking with ovoid eyes long necks and small heads, long thin bodies and long thin limbs, that pasty look that says they don't see a lot of daylight..... I can't help but wish some more of the aliens in star wars were less - archetypaly alien looking. Wouldn't it be cool if there were gellatinous masses floating in the air like jellyfish, or wisps of sentient gaseous mass. perhaps an alien that was all legs and nothing else, or something that looked like a pile of vomit. different stuff and stuff that doesn't look like either a guy in a suit or an animation based on a guy in a suit who was removed in postproduction.
And why must all the aliens have four limbs and a head where humans have heads? Why can't aliens have heads in their bellies or between their legs say? Everything is based around a bipedal uniform standard and it gets a bit dull after a while. The Acklay, jabba, Wol Cabashhite and Dice Ibegon are the only aliens I can think of in star wars that don't fit the bipedal model. Aside from the quadruped beasts of burden of course, but you take my point?
Perhaps if these new alien designs disappoint some of us it's precisely because they seem so 'seen it all before' and don't spark off a 'WOW!' reaction. Well not the way Jabba did when I first saw him all those years ago.......

But I still like these a heck of a lot. A lot more than the geonosians. the geonosians remind me too much of a friend I had in school who used to smell like a dead fish.... :crazed:

mabudonicus
01-21-2002, 12:02 PM
Yeah, what's with the alien archetype, what do it's proponents love about it so much?The bipedal, upright model is pretty hackneyed alright- especially when coupled with the smooth,noseless, ovoid eyed thing. I couldn't agree more. At least it's more interesting than most star trek aliens, I mean, there're a lot of creatures in SW that aren't obviously humans painted blue, or guys with a deformed, hyper accentuated brow ridge. You would think that with special FX at the level they are now we could expect a lot more, that comment about cgi based on a guy in a suit hit it right on the head, and compelled me to comment as well. Maybe it has something to do with the toy tie-ins, it would be real hard to make figures out of bands of shimmering light, or visible sound or whatever. You'd think that the genius who made up the mydiklarients could come up with something a bit more "challenging".

Co Jo-Da
01-21-2002, 12:14 PM
OK, the Kaminoan's look alot like the aliens in 'Close Encounters' but give the Reek a good look and than watch 'Ghostbusters' and tell me that it doesn't look like those demon dogs that eats Rick Moranis.

DARTH DUBIOUS
01-21-2002, 02:44 PM
What if they just accentuated certain human features with CGI? kinda like take a human actor and film him then use the computer to stretch bits out. change the arms to tendrils remove the legs altogether, flatten the head out like a sort of fat pancake.... it's still an actor and most of him would still be a real actor but just the limbs would be different and animated. Even the head would be a real actor. no need for lip synching then. But it wouldn't be a total CGI actor.

Isn't CGI supposed to be just a tool not the piece of work itself? When did the tool take over? Oh yeah, right about the same time Rick McCallum joined Lucasfilm........

Seriously though, they could have achieved many of the designs for cantina creatures with human actors and CGI. There's a jellyfish alien design done for the ANH cantina scene by Ron Cobb, it could have been added into the cantina as it was originaly intended, Or they could have changed the lower half of Kitik Keed'Kak and added in the legs they never managed to finish properly. We could have finally seen the whole of Dice Ibegon. But instead they gave us ketwol and Melas and a trigger happy Greedo. :crazed: