PDA

View Full Version : I sliced my finger open Friday night... GROSS!!!!

JEDIpartner
11-07-2005, 07:57 AM
There was blood all over the place! Thankfully, the injury occurred in a place where they could use dermabond and not have to give me stitches. I did have to get a tetnus shot. No big deal. I missed my gig that night and now I'll have to pay a $500 deductible for the hospital visit. This sucks...

So, anyhow, I put a band-aid on it on Saturday because an edge of the wound was crimped and poking up through the dermabond. Blood was still flowing there. Fun! I left it on all weekend and replaced it this morning after I showered. It is all white and yellow and purple and brown. YUM!!! :thumbsup:

:cry:

Dar'Argol and I are the mangeld finger twins! Whee!!!

Bacta Beast
11-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Do you play in a band also (curious about use of the word gig)?

darthvyn
11-07-2005, 10:19 AM
at least you didn't get glued to a toilet seat...

2-1B
11-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear of your troubles JP :( , but you can't start a thread like this and not say how it happened ! :crazed:

2-1B
11-07-2005, 10:31 AM
at least you didn't get glued to a toilet seat...

That's optimism. :)

And really, you might have saved on the dermabond if you just used whatever glue they used on that old guy's derrier. lol

jjreason
11-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Yeah, we need the scoop on the modality of the injury, JP, in order to fully feel your pain. I did my thumb yesterday ripping up flooring - some of that carpet tacking (the little boards they put along the walls with tons of nails sticking up) got me right where my nail ends near the tip. I was not happy.

JEDIpartner
11-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Well... I was slicing some sourdough bread for dinner on Friday evening and the first piece came out fine. The bread had a nice heavy crust on it. The second piece didn't come out so well. The knife hit some odd "terrain" and when I pulled back, the serrated edged blade bent at an angle and ripped through the top-half of my pointer finger. It cut from just above the joint to the tip of the fingernail. It's a nice ovular slice. It was hanging off of the finger and that was pretty much a given that I needed to get myself to the hospital.

It looks lovely now... dead flesh is so pretty. NOT!!!!

2-1B
11-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Sounds like you need some re-education in the Bread Crust thread. ;)

JimJamBonds
11-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Ouch sorry to hear that JP.

I got a bloody nose at work last week for those that care (no I wasn't punched and no I wasn't picking my nose, it just happened.)

Ji'dai
11-07-2005, 12:07 PM
So the knife bent as you were slicing bread? Apparently your cutlery isn't Japanese steel.

I sliced my ring and pinky finger down to the tendon when I was kid. Put my hand through a glass table..

JEDIpartner
11-07-2005, 03:30 PM
We're such smarties everyday.

CaptainSolo1138
11-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Slicker and I used to work at this "Italian" joint that had, I swear, the world's sharpest knives. Both of us have scars on top of scars on all of our fingers, so we totally feel you on this, JP.

Now for the important question: Was the bread OK for consumption or was it all bloody?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I once cut the junk out of my thumb when customizing a Qui-Gon and cutting his collar. I was pushing down on the knife and it suddenly sped up about 9000 times faster, and I had a big gash on me thumb. Nothing as bad as yours, though.

Post pics, man!!!

JEDIpartner
11-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Now for the important question: Was the bread OK for consumption or was it all bloody?

It wasn't bloody. I ate it when I got home... out of revenge!!!! :twisted:

Dar' Argol
11-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Of Course JP sends me an email about this and in the first line it says "now we are brothers in the Mangled Fingers Club". JP knows about my accident at work back in June where I took a good chunk of my left middle finget tip off in a Moulder. I was out for 6 weeks and had a skin graph done from my wrist to my finger . . . So of course I was a bit freaked out when I saw that. Then I saw it wasa bread knive and didn't feel so bad. I still feel bad for ya JP, just not as much . . . :D

BTW, here's a link to my pics of that (*WARNING NOT FOR THE SKWIMISH*)

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/6749/fingertop7cr.jpg

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/9138/fingerside7jk.jpg

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/5594/fingerbottom5ed.jpg

CaptainSolo1138
11-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Holy s**t, you weren't kidding. How's things now? Permanent damage, loss of feeling, etc....?

bobafrett
11-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Ewwwwww, I think I'm going to be sick. I once cut my hand up punching my ex-girlfriends new boyfriends tail light. The tail light won. I still have a scar from the incedent to remember it by!

Darth Jax
11-07-2005, 07:15 PM

did you get royalties when they used your hand for the Saw 2 movie posters?

Slicker
11-08-2005, 12:58 AM
This topic sucks without pictures JP!!!:D

Dar' Argol
11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Holy s**t, you weren't kidding. How's things now? Permanent damage, loss of feeling, etc....?

Scarring, no feeling from about the middle of the finget all the way around to the nail. Typing has been challaging since then. Kinda can't feel me hitting the keys with the middle finger. The ring finger has some feeling loss, but not as bad. There is however a nice "scar on my wrist from the graph. I'm gonna get asked serious questions about that scar forever . . . if you get my drift.

Ewwwwww, I think I'm going to be sick. I once cut my hand up punching my ex-girlfriends new boyfriends tail light. The tail light won. I still have a scar from the incedent to remember it by!

Oh, I will definitly remeber that incident! Kinda can't forget it. On a side note though, I'm still working on that machine . . . . never let the horse keep you down!

did you get royalties when they used your hand for the Saw 2 movie posters?

He he he . .I wish . . does look nasty doesn't it . . . . warned you.

This topic sucks without pictures JP!!!:D

Yeah JP, sorry to sorta take it over but the picks were "handy" . . . Oooooo that was bad. So anyways, you gotta show us man!! Don't make me drive out there :D

InsaneJediGirl
11-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Hope you are doing better JP :) At least throughout the email you sent me,you kept a nice humorous touch.Got any pictures of the battle wound for us?

Sorry to hear about your finger Dar :( Those pictures were kinda awesome,the only sad part is of course it was all too real. Good to know you are doing a bit better though :)

TheDarthVader
11-10-2005, 05:16 PM
What do you mean by GIG, J.P.???? Fill us in.

B.
TDV

scruffziller
11-11-2005, 02:47 PM
That's nothing, I had an extremely heavy electric pallet jack skid over and the heavy back part of it landed on my foot. BIG BRUISE!!!!!! Luckily I had nothing break.

Dar' Argol
11-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Well, I finnaly got around to taking pics of my healed fingers so here they are:

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/5303/fingergoodbottom22rf.jpg

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/3272/fingergoodside20fr.jpg

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/4336/fingergoodtop22pl.jpg

JP, you really need to get a pic up :D

CaptainSolo1138
11-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Lookin' much better, Dar. There's not much of a scar!

JEDIpartner
11-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Yes, yes! I'm healed!!! It actually didn't impair me from playing (albeit with a little pain) the Tuesday after the accident.

TDV... I am a musician-- a keyboardist/vocalist. I play solo gigs but used to be in a band for YEARS. :)

El Chuxter
11-20-2005, 10:36 AM
I royally sliced a 1/4" gash in my finger Thursday taking my wife's Christmas present (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for Gamecube) out of the cumbersome Costco security device, so I feel your pain. I'd called in sick so I could finish up the shopping for her before the insanity begins next week (and, living 30 minutes out of any real town, it's tough to do without her knowledge). So she got in about 2 hours later, and my finger was still gushing, so we went to the hospital for stitches.

I never knew such (relatively) small cuts could cause enough blood splatter to keep a CSI team busy for days.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Hey DA. What's the machine you jacked up your finger on? Somekind of cutter?

When I was 8 I went with my Cub Scout den to an Albertson's for a jack-o-lantern carving contest. I sliced my pinkie on the palm side of the lower joint right to the bone. It didn't hurt but freaked me out cause I saw the innards of the joint. I ended up going into shock but I didn't ever get stiches and the thing healed up all the way in a week.

Dar' Argol
11-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey DA. What's the machine you jacked up your finger on? Somekind of cutter?

Something similar to his:

http://www.weinigusa.com/weinig/images/unimat/u500_300.jpg

The machine I work on is a Weinig Unimat 1000 Star. Its a six headed moulder, used to make crown moulding, bases, cove, chair rail, etc. I was working on a 2 1/2 in handrail, and being rushed because we had a large workload that week. I was trying to check something inside and I should have shut the machine off, but I didn't. I've done this check before like this. Well, apparently I got my hand too close to the bottom straight knive and with it spinning at 7000 RPM, it creates quite a suction. It sucked my hand right down to it and caught my middle and ring finger, as seen in the photos. *shudder* Even now it gives me the heebie geebies thinking about that experiance. I came within 1 mm of cutting the bone in my middle finger, that's how close it was . . you could see the bone through all the mangle.

Yes, yes! I'm healed!!! It actually didn't impair me from playing (albeit with a little pain) the Tuesday after the accident.

Woooooo!! Good to hear its all better now JP. That super glue must be great stuff . . . maybe they should have used it on me :D