PDA

View Full Version : What is the fascination with clones?

wedge1968
11-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Numerous thoughts to get off my chest here, so please bear with me.

First of all, what is everyone's fascination with clones? I don't remember anyone ever getting this excited about stormtroopers, and after all, there isn't much difference.

That being said, I bought a super articulated clone the other day (had to spend the money to get the holographic Emperor), and WOW! is this a cool action figure. I mean, this may be the best action figure I've seen in thirty something years. I can't put mine down.

Now, this brings me to a list of questions.

Is Gree a repaint of this figure? In other words, does he have this articulation?

Did we ever get a stormtrooper this articulated (as you can tell, I don't open my figures often)?

Did the clone that came with the clone wars set come this articulated?

Do the clones that I just got today in the Jedi Temple Assault move like this?

I think that that is it for now; more thought as they come to me.

Thanks, everyone.

wedge1968
11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Ok, I just thought of something else. I've heard people say that the Obi-Wan Kenobi has great articulation (the pilot version). Is this true? The other thing that I bought to get Palpatine was another Jedi Council set; I am now trying to finish a set to open. Would this figure be the one I want to sit on the council?

What other figures have they made with this articulation?

figrin bran
11-07-2005, 10:05 PM
yes, Gree is a repaint of the #41 SA clone

the VOTC stormtrooper is almost as articulated

the clones in the Temple Assault set are repaints of the #6 Quick Draw clones. they have all the articulation that the #41 has except at the waist.

Obi Wan pilot has articulation at the same points as the #41 clone.

Jayspawn
11-08-2005, 12:00 AM
I get excited about Stormtroopers all the time!

You'll want to get (and open!) the Pilot Obi-Wan for sure! Its the best Obi-Wan made!

sith_killer_99
11-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Personally I get exited about all the Imperial badies!

Stormtroopers
Sandtroopers
Snowtroopers
Scout Troopers

By extension I get somewhat excited about the Clones, though not as much.

BTW, the Evolutions Sandtrooper is also as well articulated as the VOTC Stormtrooper and the SA Clone. In fact the entire set kicks major butt in that area!

Slicker
11-08-2005, 12:46 AM
The reason everyone is so fascinated is because they come in so many flavors and they make great army builders. Stormtroopers only come in 4 main variations (regular, snow, biker, and AT-AT types) whereas the clones have come in so many different colors and styles that it's just ridiculous.

jedi master sal
11-08-2005, 09:47 AM
The reason everyone is so fascinated is because they come in so many flavors and they make great army builders. Stormtroopers only come in 4 main variations (regular, snow, biker, and AT-AT types) whereas the clones have come in so many different colors and styles that it's just ridiculous.

You forgot "Sand" troopers. (Four Different Paulrons)
And do you count Imperial Gunners or TIE Fighter Pilots?

I like them all. Right now I'm much more excited about clones. I think it's more becuase we get to see them in some serious action. In the OT they were never really in that many numbers in one scene, when they weren't just standing around.

Also, these clones are much more accurate than the OT troopers.

I'm sure with time, I'll go back to liking the Stormtroopers more (as a nostalgia thing probably).

Oh, here's another thought, since the helmet for the ROTS clones is a great transitional helmet to the OT, people are using it as a way to identify and link them to the OT, which is always good.

That's my take on it.
-Sal

wedge1968
11-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Another quick question: Were the Entertainment Earth Clone packs similarly articulated?

sith_killer_99
11-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Yes, in fact the Entertainment Earth packs are the SA Clones with new paint decos.

Rogue II
11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
They can release all the variations of clones they want...purple, pink, lavender, cyan, or flannel. They are from the PT, so I don't care what they do to them. I just pray they don't start giving Stormtroopers funky EU paint jobs. I would like to see more battle packs with Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, Scouts, Imperial officers, and other Imperials. (They already took care of the Snowtroopers.)

bobafrett
11-08-2005, 12:11 PM
As a Stormtrooper in the 501st costuming club, I love the Stormtroopers, wasn't so excited about the EPII clones, but I do like the way the Clones in EPIII look with the exception of a few of them. I think Lucas knows were his cash cow is, and he's milking it for every last collectors drop.

vader68
11-08-2005, 12:24 PM
They can release all the variations of clones they want...purple, pink, lavender, cyan, or flannel. They are from the PT, so I don't care what they do to them. I just pray they don't start giving Stormtroopers funky EU paint jobs. I would like to see more battle packs with Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, Scouts, Imperial officers, and other Imperials. (They already took care of the Snowtroopers.)

I agree with you Rogue II. I am old school, and would love to see more battle packs with stormtroopers and such. I would love to see a pack with the Tie fighter pilots, maybe a scene in a hangar with a tie fighter pic in the backround. Just don't make them different colors.

wedge1968
11-08-2005, 03:15 PM
I just don't understand how they became the cash cow. Jedi or Rogue Squadron pilots make a lot of sense, but why clones? You don't hear anyone getting super excited about battle droids or geonoshan (sp?) warriors.

The articulation, I grant you, is awesome on a lot of what they are putting out, but wouldn't people be more satisfied with super-articulated Jedi? I am getting the sense that people wouldn't.

sith_killer_99
11-08-2005, 04:32 PM
They can release all the variations of clones they want...purple, pink, lavender, cyan, or flannel.

Flannel Clones! That's brilliant! Brilliant!:thumbsup:

trandoshan666
11-08-2005, 04:50 PM
The endless number of uniform variations and the fact that we see them in so much action in AOTC and ROTS, to answer your question. They are a cash cow because there are so many potential dioramas involving vast numbers of each variation.

sith_killer_99
11-08-2005, 05:42 PM
I just don't understand how they became the cash cow. Jedi or Rogue Squadron pilots make a lot of sense, but why clones? You don't hear anyone getting super excited about battle droids or geonoshan (sp?) warriors.

The articulation, I grant you, is awesome on a lot of what they are putting out, but wouldn't people be more satisfied with super-articulated Jedi? I am getting the sense that people wouldn't.

I think there are several reasons for this.

Building an Army of Jedi is very difficult. Who wants 20 of the same looking Jedi? Sure Hasbro could do variation head sculpts, but that is much more costly to Hasbro than a new paint job on a Clone, so we just won't see it. Plus you have the "screen time" factor. There were only so many Jedi seen on screen, yet there were tons of Clones.

As for the Battle Droids, well they haven't really changed since EP1 and a lot of "Army Builders" already have lots of them. For me, it really comes down to quality. All the Battle Droids I have bought end up with bendy legs. So if I don't collect Battle Droids for Army Building why would I buy a bunch of Super Battle Droids?

Geo Warriors sorta fall under that category as well, though more like trandoshan666 siad, they have less screen time and action.

But ultimatly for me, the costumes are just way cooler on the Clones/Stormtroopers, though the Clones have color schemes which helps breaks up the monotony.

wedge1968
11-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Does the pilot Kenobi have a head that moves around like the SA clone? I was just looking at it in Wal-Mart, but it didn't look like it'd have the same range of motion.

Ji'dai
11-10-2005, 07:25 PM
I dunno what the fascination with Clones is. My Hyde Tweety eats Clones for breakfast.

Kneel before Hyde Tweety, puny Clone collectors!

MajikNinja
11-10-2005, 09:40 PM
i agree that its probably the variation and the fact that the different kinds of clones all have back stories and reasons for having the colors that they have. thats my reason anyway... stormtroopers are kinda bland IMO not much variation... i honestly like the ROTS clone armor, the Stormtrooper makes them look like frogs... but i dont think they were meant to look attractive. and the fact that they go from having multiple battalions and many colors and styles to haveing only one suit dosent do much for GL's continuity... but w/e... i just think he went more into depth with the clones then he planed on doing.

P.s. and if i do recall the storm/sand trooper in the evolution set is very atriculated... i call it a storm trooper because the paulron is removeable.

General_Grievous
11-11-2005, 08:35 AM
To be honest, I never really loved clones/stormtroopers until ROTS. In the movie they have so many different variations. In AOTC they only had three different markings: white, yellow and red. The green and blue ones were never seen on screen. In ROTS they have different ones in every scene. Even though I'm not interested in the EU clones like the shadow trooper, I still collect every movie one. So far we've gotten (in order of appearance):

-Clone Pilot
-Standard White Clone Trooper
-Grey Markings Clone Trooper (from Attack on Coruscant Battle Pack, seen with Tarfull on Coruscant when Yoda arrives)
-Camo Clone Trooper (from BARC Speeder, but this one needs to be improved)
-Commander Gree
-Commander Cody (on the way)
-Utapau Clone Trooper (on the way)
-501st Clone Trooper
-Commander Bacarra
-Commander Bly
-Felucia Clone Trooper (that came in the Evolutions pack)
-AT-RT Driver
-Clone Shocktrooper

All that's left are the missing few commanders and that's it. Hasbro's been doing great with the clones lately.

vulcantouch
11-11-2005, 08:49 AM
-maybe it has to do with their more explicit resonance both with the pomo archetype (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=84696&postcount=121) and the intrinsic character of toy mass production :cool::cool::cool:

jedi master sal
11-11-2005, 10:56 PM
In AOTC they only had three different markings: white, yellow and red. The green and blue ones were never seen on screen.

Actually you CAN see both the grren and blue clones in AOTC. Most notably in the scene when they are picking up their helmets. They are small, but they are in there.

Also, there were two different yellow ones. Not just the commander, but the Pilot. So all told there were 6 different clone flavors in AOTC.

Those color scheme just weren't as imaginative as the ones in ROTS are though. (And I think GL gave a wink and a nod at the clone paint schemes, knowing that more toys could be made from them if they came in different colors-and more money for him too.)

JON9000
11-12-2005, 01:18 PM
(And I think GL gave a wink and a nod at the clone paint schemes, knowing that more toys could be made from them if they came in different colors-and more money for him too.)

As Deep Throat (Mark Felt, not the movie) advised, "follow the money".

Kill Solo
11-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Clones are RAD!

mikey1974
11-16-2005, 05:36 AM
for me,i love them for the customizing possibilities.....commander cody,commander fox,commander nero,uatapuan clone,bacara's troops,kashyakk biker scouts.....all haven't been produced,but with a little work and some inginuity,i was able to make decent customs of them all....even the exclusives....my target sucks,big time,so with some regular clones i was able to make the original target exclusive and the shadow trooper on my own.......