PDA

View Full Version : 12" Jedi Luke come on down!!!!!!!

Captain Spoon
11-08-2005, 04:15 PM
well sideshow just released that the first figure in the 12" SW series is Jedi Luke!!! Sweeeeeettttt!!!!!

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=110805luke

Garth Algar
11-08-2005, 04:39 PM
cool! it will be better than medicom's version at 1/4th the price.

they said they will release 8 or 9 figures in 2006. half from the OT, half from the PT.

maatu
11-08-2005, 06:02 PM
wow, i just saw it. friday is the day.. cool. man i hope i get in line to order this baby.. i know it will sell out fast. i am hoping it's better than medicom. i have that one. and it's hard to beat... there going to have to change the bodies for the figures they use. i just wish the line success either way.

Jayspawn
11-08-2005, 06:13 PM
cant wait to see the full picture! Guess we'll find out in a few days how well they nail Mark Hamill's likeness!

AmanaMatt
11-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Sweet - here's hoping for a non-zombie looking paint job on Luke's face! I love Sideshow's 1/4 scaled sculpts, but the paint ops are kinda off.

2-1B
11-09-2005, 11:26 AM
What the hell is the point of showing just a gloved hand and a lightsaber hilt ?

Jayspawn
11-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Sideshow does this right before they show off their new product. A teaser so to speak. They do it every time to show off the detail.

2-1B
11-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Wow. A detailed hand and hilt. I'm impressed. :rolleyes:

How much is this Luke going to cost ? :)

bobafett07728
11-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah. . . anyone have an idea on the price of the new 12" figures? It would be nice to know before I try to order it Friday, and get sticker shock!!!! :thumbsup:

Captain Spoon
11-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Normally the 12"'s are $40 for the standard version and $45 for the Sideshow exclusive, the exclusives are usualy limited to under 500 pieces and come with an extra accesory

JediTricks
11-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I am excited because I am a major fan of Luke Jedi, but at the same time a little apprehensive because we've gotten a lot of this character as a 12" over the years.

The hilt looks nice and the blade looks very good, that's very important to me. The robe being brown seems wrong, but if it's dark enough it'll be ok. At least the vest ain't brown unlike Hasbro's mistakes here in the past.

Garth Algar
11-09-2005, 07:40 PM
I am excited because I am a major fan of Luke Jedi, but at the same time a little apprehensive because we've gotten a lot of this character as a 12" over the years.

The hilt looks nice and the blade looks very good, that's very important to me. The robe being brown seems wrong, but if it's dark enough it'll be ok. At least the vest ain't brown unlike Hasbro's mistakes here in the past.

the cloak is supposed to be brown. there is a really good photo of the film used costume in the "magic of myth" book on page 191.

but if you want it to be black, some "rit" dye will solve that problem for you. :)

Garth Algar
11-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah. . . anyone have an idea on the price of the new 12" figures? It would be nice to know before I try to order it Friday, and get sticker shock!!!! :thumbsup:

sideshow says $49.99.......plus shipping.

you may be able to get the regular version of this figure for under $40 from an internet vendor.

JediTricks
11-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Sadly, I don't have that book. But I think Hasbro and Sideshow (and pretty much any other licensee doing stuff like this) should be aware of how it seems on-screen with the way the lights hit it and such and how the camera converts the colors and textures.

Turbowars
11-09-2005, 09:04 PM
sideshow says $49.99.......plus shipping.

you may be able to get the regular version of this figure for under $40 from an internet vendor.Where does it say that on their site? I can't find any info about it. Oh and what will the extra packed in item be to make me spend another 10 bucks?

Garth Algar
11-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Where does it say that on their site? I can't find any info about it. Oh and what will the extra packed in item be to make me spend another 10 bucks?

it was mentioned in their chat they had yesterday.

what will the exclusive accessory be? who knows? it's usually something lame, but i'm hoping the exclusive version has the endor poncho and helmet.(i usually pass onthe exclusives, as they are usually not worth it to me)

but regardless if you get the exclusive or regular version from sideshow, you'll pay more if you buy directly from them.

i always shop around and always get the same figures sideshow sells for $40-$50 for a lot less, usually $32 to $38.

Garth Algar
11-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Sadly, I don't have that book. But I think Hasbro and Sideshow (and pretty much any other licensee doing stuff like this) should be aware of how it seems on-screen with the way the lights hit it and such and how the camera converts the colors and textures.

so you'd rather have a black cloak cause that's how the lighting made it look as opposed to a screen accurate brown cloak?

i'd prefer sideshow, or anyone with access to the lucasfilm archives, make good use of those resources and make the props and costumes as they really are.

if han's hoth coat is really brown, that's how i want sideshowto make it. :)

yeek
11-10-2005, 03:26 AM
I'm gonna buy one...just to see the quality of their product...this debut will let me know if I'll continue buying others or not...but either way, I can't wait!!

JediTricks
11-10-2005, 05:01 PM
so you'd rather have a black cloak cause that's how the lighting made it look as opposed to a screen accurate brown cloak?

i'd prefer sideshow, or anyone with access to the lucasfilm archives, make good use of those resources and make the props and costumes as they really are.

if han's hoth coat is really brown, that's how i want sideshowto make it. :)
Define "screen accurate" though, if it's stage accurate then the answer is "not always". Some props, costumes, and even makeup jobs are made specifically to work with the range and issues stemming from the use of the camera, but that isn't how they're meant to look in real life, that's part of movie magic. Luke's ROTJ lightsaber is actually an ugly piece of crap - well, 1 of the 2, there's the hero version and the stunt version, but the stunt version actually had more screentime - that stunt version was a redress of the ANH Obi-Wan saber and it's got issues when you look at it up close (naturally, Hasbro modeled the electronic role-play toy version after this one :p), I wouldn't want a representation of that.

Lots of the aliens have human eyes showing in their rubber masks, it looks pretty bad like on the Gamorrean guard. The C-3PO suit had lots of crunches and bent pieces around the hips from use that show up in parts of the film. R2-D2 in ANH has his right leg coming off the hip every time he extends his middle leg, and when they cut to the permanently 3-legged version there are physical braces holding the outer legs to the bottom of the body, I wouldn't want any of those represented.

Turbowars
11-10-2005, 05:07 PM
I rather have the cloak black. That's what I know and that what I like.

Garth Algar
11-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Define "screen accurate" though
i'm just saying that if the actual cloak that luke wore in ROTJ is brown, then sideshow should make it brown.

as for luke's ROTJ saber, i've always liked the "stunt" version better than the "hero" version. i've always thought that luke, being a novice with no master to guide him and without the tools the jedi academy would offer, wouldn't be able to build a pristine saber like the "hero" version.

check this out...http://starwars.fidm.edu/exhibition/gallery/starwars-classic-theme.shtm?section=exhibition&subsection=gallery

Turbowars
11-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Where did you find that? Looks like Dooku, Hoth Leia and hoth trooper. Oh crap, look at that a Slave Leia!!

Garth Algar
11-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Where did you find that? Looks like Dooku, Hoth Leia and hoth trooper. Oh crap, look at that a Slave Leia!!

it's jedi knight luke skywalker and his brown cloak. :)

Turbowars
11-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Black Brown what ever, it looks cool. So where did you find this stuff? It's SS right? Link please.:grin:

Jayspawn
11-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Luke would have been able to make the "hero" version. Why not? Padawan's dont make their lightsabers with their masters looking over them telling them how to do it.

Luke has a brown cloak in Return of the Jedi so thats how Sideshow should (and is) doing it. Cant wait to see it tomorrow!

BlueSnags
11-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Definitely going to be checking Sideshow's site tomorrow. Can't wait to get one of these bad boys!

2-1B
11-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Turbs, I think those pics are from the fashion exhibit.

Garth Algar
11-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Black Brown what ever, it looks cool. So where did you find this stuff? It's SS right? Link please.:grin:

the link is in my post with the photos. those are the screen used costumes.

Turbowars
11-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Order it now. There's only 1250 of them! Here's the link. http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=21041&source=111105flash

The 12-inch Jedi Luke figure includes:
• Authentic likeness of Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker from Return of the Jedi
• Fully articulated 'short' male body with 30+ points of articulation
• Authentic costume includes the grey tunic, black shirt & pants, and boots
• Accessories include:

Hooded cloak
Detailed belt w/ lightsaber hook
Lightsaber hilt
Lightsaber hilt w/ ignited blade
Femur bone from Rancor battle
Multiple interchangeable hands, including:
⇒Force Wield left hand
⇒Gloved right hand
⇒Blaster damaged right hand
⇒Saber grip left hand
⇒Saber grip right hand
Skiff Guard Blaster - Sideshow Collectibles Exclusive Accessory

JediTricks
11-11-2005, 03:09 PM
No, those are the actual movie costumes at the FIDM exhibit here in LA.

Anyway, now that the photos are up, I am unsure what to think. The likeness is accurate, but the expression is a little odd, the slightly open mouth is not working for me. I hate how limited the edition size is, 1250 is not enough. I don't think I'm going to get the Sideshow version, the blaster is good-looking but I think I'd be displaying this one without the vest so the blaster wouldn't go with it anyway.

BlueSnags
11-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Just ordered mine. Whooo-hoo!:grin:

Turbowars
11-11-2005, 03:23 PM
No, those are the actual movie costumes at the FIDM exhibit here in LA.

Anyway, now that the photos are up, I am unsure what to think. The likeness is accurate, but the expression is a little odd, the slightly open mouth is not working for me. I hate how limited the edition size is, 1250 is not enough. I don't think I'm going to get the Sideshow version, the blaster is good-looking but I think I'd be displaying this one without the vest so the blaster wouldn't go with it anyway.1250 is just the exclusive #. There will be more without the blaster to the public. I think he's awesome. He's everything I thought he would be. The price is better than I thought as well. I can't wait to replace many of my hasbro 12ers. JT if you aren't going to buy it whay do you care about the edition size?

BlueSnags
11-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey Turbo,

Did you get your email confirmation from Sideshow yet?

JediTricks
11-11-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't like really small edition sizes, to me it feels like a company taking advantage of the SW collecting community (Sideshow is hardly the only offender here doing this right now, I'm lookin' at you Master Replicas!), if it had been a bigger number I probably would have got it from Sideshow instead of waiting for the regular retail version.

Turbowars
11-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey Turbo,

Did you get your email confirmation from Sideshow yet?I sure did! You didn't? I know the site is very slow right now.

BlueSnags
11-11-2005, 03:34 PM
I sure did! You didn't? I know the site is very slow right now.

OK, just got mine a few seconds ago.

Any word on the next 12" figure or the winning EU figure on the Sideshow site anywhere? I checked around a bit and didn't see anything.

Turbowars
11-11-2005, 03:37 PM
I don't like really small edition sizes, to me it feels like a company taking advantage of the SW collecting community (Sideshow is hardly the only offender here doing this right now, I'm lookin' at you Master Replicas!), if it had been a bigger number I probably would have got it from Sideshow instead of waiting for the regular retail version. I don't understand why that's what's stopping you. The lower the # you should try to get a order in, not the other way around. Anyways if you do wait for the retail version you will end up saving about 10-15 bucks.

I don't like MR #'s either. Their prices is what really bothers me. They don't even wont lower income customers.

Turbowars
11-11-2005, 03:38 PM
OK, just got mine a few seconds ago.

Any word on the next 12" figure or the winning EU figure on the Sideshow site anywhere? I checked around a bit and didn't see anything.OH yeah the hottie Padme won by about 54 votes It's on SS site. here's the link http://www.sideshowtoy.com/php/081905sweu.php?&source=swpoll

BlueSnags
11-11-2005, 03:50 PM
OH yeah the hottie Padme won by about 54 votes It's on SS site. here's the link http://www.sideshowtoy.com/php/081905sweu.php?&source=swpoll

SWEET! That figure is gonna rule.

JediTricks
11-11-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't understand why that's what's stopping you. The lower the # you should try to get a order in, not the other way around. Anyways if you do wait for the retail version you will end up saving about 10-15 bucks.Steve ended up talking me into ordering one. I still don't like low edition numbers though, it's elitist and destroys the chance to get a replacement if something is wrong with the one you get. It keeps late-comers or folks who don't have the money right at the moment from jumping in after the opening bell - I hate hearing these tales of limited edition items selling out in 30 minutes and that's IT for anybody who wants a piece of it.

Turbowars
11-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Can't make a decision on your own huh? Couldn't resist.:pleased:

Less than a 100 left, get them while they are hot.:thumbsup:

Jayspawn
11-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm actually going to hold off and get the retail version. I dont think Sideshow nailed Hamill's likeness. Something about it is off. I still like it and will wait to get the regular version.

Hellboy
11-11-2005, 05:05 PM
I just pre-ordered mine. Personally I think it looks great but like JT I sure hope all of their exclusive offerings aren't going to be limited to 1250 pieces. Just doesn't seem fair.

BlueSnags
11-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Looks like they are now SOLD OUT of the Exclusive.

Hellboy
11-11-2005, 05:10 PM
WOW!! I knew these would be hot but that was fast.

Garth Algar
11-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm actually going to hold off and get the retail version. I dont think Sideshow nailed Hamill's likeness. Something about it is off. I still like it and will wait to get the regular version.

it's the open lips, and probably the paint job. when this figure comes out, someone will re-paint it and it will look great.

i don't know why they went withth eopen lips. that looks dumb.

Aliencowthatmoos
11-11-2005, 06:14 PM
OH yeah the hottie Padme won by about 54 votes It's on SS site.

Hooray. What a spectacular victory for the Expanded Universe. I predict that the second Expanded Universe figure will be Luke Skywalker..... with a different hat!

Homer Simpson: "When will people learn. Democracy doesn't work!"

On the positive side at least Luke's exclusive accessory isn't particularily important. I can't stand it when Sideshow's exclusive accessory is something essential to the character (ex. Grevious's cape, Ft13's Jason with his mother's head, etc.).

AmanaMatt
11-11-2005, 07:33 PM
I am really mad at myself - I knew I would forget....work gets busy and of course I get home and they are sold out of the exclusive. 1250 is too little - I do not care about it being 'exclusive' just that I will be missing out on an extra accessory for the same price.

To me, the likeness is pretty good - the paint job around the eyes does seem a bit odd.

rich_of_the_dead
11-11-2005, 08:57 PM
ordered mine 5 mins after they began taking orders 1250 aint too bad i feel bad fo those who wanted to get one they should make a few more next time:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Jayspawn
11-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Thats it! Its the open lips that make it look weird. Hopefully Sideshow will modify the face sculpt before the release.

Turbowars
11-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Come on, there is few times Luke had his mouth open.:yes:

jedibear
11-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Managed to snag the exclusive version before I headed off to work this afternoon.
$50. is not bad to get a figure of this quality...the posability, the good looking costume and the good group of accessories including the interchangable hands...it looks great. I also can understand why some folks are ticked that the "exclusive" feature is nothing more than a blaster accessory, but my take on that is...okay, it least it wasn't the cloak so alot of folks miss it (like the cape for the large scale Grevious that wrinkled a few brows out there). While this release looks real good, the only thing missing to make it complete perfection is the Endor poncho/helmet. But that's a minor thing when looking at this fine offering...

I like the sculpt...I really like it with the hood up with the "force" hand pose.

I can understand why they chose Luke to open the line with. He's the iconic character from the classics and the one most older (ie collector-friendly) fans relate too. (Now having said that, this ole' collector is pining for some decent prequel characters to grace this collection in the months/years to come!)
I also like the rumour floating around that we will get a mix of prequel and classic characters in the first year (ROTS Obi-Wan pleasepleaseplease!!). My only personal concern is that if they are releasing 8 or 9 figures a year, at $50. a piece, well, that's a bit much on the ole' wallet. I wouldn't object if they tapered that of to 3 or 4 but we'll see...

My saber's raised to Sideshow on this first offering in what I hope will be a fun, well-done and comprehensive collection of figures!

abell748
11-12-2005, 07:15 AM
$50 is too much right now for alot of people. They will price alot of collectors out of the 12" line if they release 8-9 a year. If I get any it will only be a couple and they need to give more warning so people can sell their kids into slavery in enough time to have the money on-hand when the preorders start.

LTBasker
11-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Welp, so much for collecting this line. I thought they would be around $30-35 and at least made in larger quantities. Appears not. Those tiny numbers are one thing for licenses that don't have as large of fan bases (and so many scalpers...) as Star Wars does, but it seems either they underestimated it or didn't care and decided to push the price up since they knew people would pay.

Since these are going to be hell to get and hell to pay for, I suppose I'll be skipping this line as I had originally intended. Oh well.

Turbowars
11-12-2005, 12:25 PM
30-35? You might find some of SS 12" with a discount, but If you look at most of SS 12" figures they are in the 40+ range. It's not like these are hard to order or find. The regular version is available and you can get on the waiting list for the exclusive.

Garth Algar
11-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Welp, so much for collecting this line. I thought they would be around $30-35 and at least made in larger quantities. Appears not. Those tiny numbers are one thing for licenses that don't have as large of fan bases (and so many scalpers...) as Star Wars does, but it seems either they underestimated it or didn't care and decided to push the price up since they knew people would pay.

Since these are going to be hell to get and hell to pay for, I suppose I'll be skipping this line as I had originally intended. Oh well.

they are making a version without the gun, and they'll probably make 10,000 of those. no need to get bummed out about edtion sizes yet.

as for price, there are a few vendors offering it inthe low $40 range.

Hellboy
11-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Turbowars makes a good point about the waiting list. If you really want this exclusive and you put your name on the list there is a very good chance you'll get your opportunity to buy one. I've used SS's waiting list for several SW statues (Vader, Grievous and Obi-Wan) and eventually they were all converted into orders. There will always be people who back out of their pre-order right before the item is set to ship.

JediTricks
11-12-2005, 03:36 PM
If Sideshow wanted to be a limited edition suckout on this thing without going to a more reasonable # like 3000, the least they could have done was limit it to 1977 for the Star Wars factor (1983 for the ROTJ factor doesn't have the same ring :p). Anyway, I got my confirmation email finally, they claim it went out at 1:51p (which you'll notice is a minute after I made the post saying I ordered it), but it took hours to actually get here.

Jayspawn
11-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I decided to get one, but I'm gonna get it from another etailer in the $40 range. I'd probably pay that much.

JEDIpartner
11-13-2005, 01:15 PM
$49... *sigh*

Darth Cruel
11-13-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I am so tired of the limited edition thing. And I return from a family medical emergency to find that I have already missed out one of the figures. I am a completist and am not going to start collecting a line that I can't complete from the very first figure. This small amount limited edition crap is old. I'm shelving my decision to get these.

Turbowars
11-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Why are you so upset about a gun you probably wont even us on the figure?

2-1B
11-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Meh, it's a decent looking figure but not worth 40-50 to me . . . that's pretty dumb to make the blaster the exclusive, or maybe it's smart on their behalf since it will lead people into buying it. To me it's just dumb because if I did buy this and it came with the gun instead of the bone, I could swap in my Hasbro bone to finish off the set. So, I do see where Sideshow is coming from.

But at the end of the day this "accessory exclusive" policy is a joke so I'm just going to say **** on this line. lol

AmanaMatt
11-14-2005, 07:37 PM
The one reason I cannot get too upset with myself in forgetting to preorder (and thus missing out on the exclusive) is really the thought of how may people will even open the "EXCLUSIVE" version - people get real protective of a 12"er that costs $50....I will not lie, if I got one, I would not open it.

Turbowars
11-14-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm opening mine. I don't plan on retiring on it.:cross-eye

Hellboy
11-16-2005, 11:32 PM
Yeah I'm opening mine too, but I'll tell you what if parting with the exclusive will finance my next three SS 12" figures I'll have no problem selling it and sticking with the regular version.

Turbowars
11-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Guys, look at this comparison shot.http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9985.45.

SS blows Medicom out of the water. Medicom's looks worse than Hasbros.

2-1B
11-18-2005, 12:04 AM
The more I look at the Sideshow Luke face, the less I like it. That mouth is freaky and the look to his face...I can't quite place it...but it is drawing a creepy comparison for me.

plasticfetish
11-18-2005, 02:23 AM
Yeah, something about the facial expression is kind of funny on the Sideshow Luke. It looks like he's in the middle of saying something... or whistling.
Guys, look at this comparison shot. SS blows Medicom out of the water. Medicom's looks worse than Hasbros.For sure Sideshow nailed the features and facial structure though. It makes the Medicom luke look like a Thunderbirds puppet by comparison.

I really need to see that Sideshow Luke in person first before I decide.

Darth Cruel
11-18-2005, 10:49 AM
The more I look at the Sideshow Luke face, the less I like it. That mouth is freaky and the look to his face...I can't quite place it...but it is drawing a creepy comparison for me.

Seems to me that this only makes it even more Mark Hamill-like. He took on sort of a creepy-mummyish-haunted look after the car accident.

plasticfetish
11-18-2005, 12:50 PM
creepy-mummyish-haunted lookThat's really funny.

Hellboy
11-18-2005, 02:00 PM
It makes the Medicom luke look like a Thunderbirds puppet by comparison.

Now thats hilarious. I couldn't quite put my finger on why Medicom's Luke looked familiar but you nailed it with that statement. lol

Hellboy
11-19-2005, 05:36 PM
The Regular Edition of Luke is now sold out as well. The edition size was set at 6500 pieces worldwide so they went pretty fast.

AmanaMatt
11-19-2005, 05:51 PM
... The edition size was set at 6500 pieces worldwide so they went pretty fast.

I wonder what a typical Hasbro 12" run would have been on average....? I would have thought 12,000 would still be limited given the millions of Star Wars fans out there, so 6500 still seems pretty small.

Veers
11-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Pricey but a must have item.

Darth Cruel
12-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Did they sell out all 6500 on the website. Did I misunderstand that there would be some sold through distributors?

Jayspawn
12-16-2005, 10:00 AM
I just ordered my 12" Luke from ThirdZone.com. They still have some available for $46.95.