PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Sony may shoot themselves in the Foot with the Playstation 3

Lord Malakite
11-09-2005, 10:54 PM
The following is being reported at the Gaming-Age forums.

"SCE has secured the patent for a new disc technology that, if used, would not allow the PS3 to read used games for that platform. The technology was invented by Kutaragi himself, as well as two others

Details regarding the patent are featured here: http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg.ipdl

It is indicated specifically that the technology is to prevent the use of used as well as pirated software

The technology involves actually rendering a authentication code originally encrypted on the game disk unreadable to other machines once the disk it is used

This would mean that Net-based and other such games will not be the only ones to be affected by the technology

Naturally third software developers would embrace this technology, and it would ensure sales of the inevitable "Best series" for the PS3, but used games shops would be put out of business if the PS3 were to become the primary platform in the next generation

While information regarding the patent does not specify outright that the technology will be used in the PS3, Kutaragi has gone on record saying that copy management is absolutely necessary in order to endure that no "Napsters" of the game industry create problems in the future."

So what does this mean to gamers you may be wondering.

The technology involves actually rendering a authentication code originally encrypted on the game disk unreadable to other machines once the disk it is used.

Or in other words, if Sony does decide to go through with this; new PS3 games will in turn only work on one system and that is it, the first PS3 it is played on. After that the game will be useless to any other PS3. So if your PS3 quits working and you need to replace it or you want to either rent or buy/sale a used PS3 game, you are screwed.

Rocketboy
11-10-2005, 12:06 AM
That also means you can't borrow or let anyone borrow your games.

Hell, that would even kill the rental market, so I can't see Sony actually using this type of thing.

JimJamBonds
11-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Hell, that would even kill the rental market, so I can't see Sony actually using this type of thing.

It would also kill the second hand market, which I'd think Sony would be more then happy to do so.

El Chuxter
11-10-2005, 02:04 AM
I've been debating whether to buy one of these new systems and, if so, which. If this is true, the decision was just made for me.

plasticfetish
11-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Details regarding the patent are featured here: http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg.ipdlMaybe when we see something official reported about this -- or even linked to a page that I can read, that actually says something about this "new disk technology" -- then we should get excited or angry.

Sounds like a little calculated PS3 bashing just before the new Xbox is due to come out. :neutral:

Captain Spoon
11-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Sony sucks, screw the PS3. I will get a X-Box 360. It wouldn't suprise me if Sony did this. if so the sales of their systems would be junk, plus they probobly would get sued by Hollywood, Blockbuster, gamestop, EB, and such. This could be handy for games like Grand Theft Auto, it would make it so little kids couldn't rent them, borror them etc which would stop parents from bi*c*ing about game violence.

Lord Malakite
11-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Maybe when we see something official reported about this -- or even linked to a page that I can read, that actually says something about this "new disk technology" -- then we should get excited or angry.

I agree with you PF. At the moment I can't officially say Sony will or will not use this new technology on the PS3, just that they have patented it, hence the "may shoot themselves" in the title of the thread. We will just have to wait and see if and when something more official is reported at a reliable video game site before we all get officially peeved at this information.

The only thing I will say about it is that if Sony does decide to use it on the PS3, no matter how good their intentions to stop piracy were, I think that they will undoubtfully alienate a large number of their general gaming fan base.

plasticfetish
11-10-2005, 02:18 PM
The only thing I will say about it is that if Sony does decide to use it on the PS3, no matter how good their intentions to stop piracy were, I think that they will undoubtfully alienate a large number of their general gaming fan base.Yeah, for sure... it's almost hard to imagine. I'd really be shocked to see this one turn out to be true.

Heaven forbid it does pan out though, and then other companies follow with similar plans... that'd be grim.

Dar' Argol
11-12-2005, 10:42 PM
or even linked to a page that I can read,

I love Babel Fish :D. The link is for the translated and orginal. The below attached pics is what I found really funny. Talk about lost in translation. The first is the original, the second is the translation :D

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5740/transpic0xu.jpg

I really do not think they will do something like this though, it would make no sense as a comapnay other then to stop the pirated games :Pirate:. I would hope Sony has better sense then this. One of the best things they did with the PS2 was to be able to play PS1 games, I can't see them going through with something like this.

This could be handy for games like Grand Theft Auto, it would make it so little kids couldn't rent them, borror them etc which would stop parents from bi*c*ing about game violence.

Hey Spoon how about this . .. how about Parents stop their complaining, and be . . oh, I don't know . . PARENTS and don't buy/rent or allow their kids to buy/rent those types of games. Since when did the responsibility of raising a child shift from the parents to society??? Allowing a company to do something like this so "Kids cannot play them and parents stop yelling about violence in games" is not the reason to do something. If I came home with a game like GTA when I was younger my dad would have whooped my butt, make me take the game back, give him the money for it, whoop my butt again, and ground me for at least 2 months. Today, the parents blame the game industry for producing a game that damaged their sheltered childs life. Stop shifting the blame and do your darn job as parents! I never had the "fear of God" put into me, I had the "Fear of my father" put into me. Made me think twice before I did something stupid . . .

Anywho, I jump ship. Bottom line, its a good concept, bad idea, and I doubt they will go through with it . . . .

plasticfetish
11-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Oh man. That's still completely confusing... I'll try it when I have my glasses on later. :)
how about Parents stop their complaining, and be . . oh, I don't know . . PARENTS and don't buy/rent or allow their kids to buy/rent those types of games.Yeah, I know this is off topic, but... AMEN!

I own a bunch of games, a few of the GTA games included, that I would never let my son near. He has no problem with the idea and knows to stay away from "mature" games. It's not an issue. If it ever becomes an issue... then, like a good parent, I'll parent.

Dar' Argol
11-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Oh man. That's still completely confusing... I'll try it when I have my glasses on later. :) Yeah, I know this is off topic, but... AMEN!

I own a bunch of games, a few of the GTA games included, that I would never let my son near. He has no problem with the idea and knows to stay away from "mature" games. It's not an issue. If it ever becomes an issue... then, like a good parent, I'll parent.

My daughter loves to play games with me or just watch. EVERY time I have GTA or similar type of game in I kick here out of the room. Or I've even gone as far as turning it off. When she gets old enough to want her own types of games I will be there to check them out first and if its not approperate, then she doesn't get it.

JediTricks
11-13-2005, 07:45 PM
My niece's father lets her play San Andreas at home, she's 7. Bad parenting always finds a way. :p

Anyway, if Sony goes and does this, I think this will be the issue that pushes me towards the Xbox 360 (which is saying a lot, I am quite anti-microsoft). I've only bought like 2 or 3 used PS2 games, but I've rented more and it does make the experience a lot better, taking that ability away will make it feel even more all about the money which just feels bad to me as a customer.

Who knows if it's accurate though, they've been monkeying with various disc-limitation products for years, even trying to make discs that have temporary surfaces that self-destruct after a few uses.

El Chuxter
11-13-2005, 10:25 PM
I just learned that Sony decided to drop copy protection on CDs that leaves computers vulnerable to hackers. Thankfully, I've not played my new Santana CD in a computer yet, but reading the info on their copy protection, it looks like I can never put together a Santana mix MP3 player to put into my DVD player, which doesn't work with copy-protected MP3s.

Sony sucks.

Tonysmo
11-14-2005, 01:52 AM
Sony sucks.

times a billion.

If I never have to buy anything from SONY again., Ill be a happy man.

Im more of a pc gamer than a console gamer anyhow. but I kinda do hope they shoot themselves in the foot. It'd be fun to sit back and watch the backlash.

Dar' Argol
11-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Im more of a pc gamer than a console gamer anyhow. but I kinda do hope they shoot themselves in the foot. It'd be fun to sit back and watch the backlash.

I'm a PC Gamer too, but a consoler at heart . . Intelivision anyone??? But I do not hope they shoot themselves in the foot. Then all we are left with is the Mostly "Kiddie" Lunchbox . . aka Gamecube, and the ever growing evil demon lord Gates . . aka X-Box. I kinda like 3 companies fighting it out for our money, trying to one up the other and therefore producing better and better games and systems. of course they have produced crappy games as well . . State of Emergency . . . .

JON9000
12-03-2005, 08:01 PM
http://www.betadot.com/sony-no-drm-in-playstation-3/2005-328/

So it looks as though this will not be an issue, although I must say the patent application would certainly arouse my suspicion...

I really do not want to buy Microsoft. I would rather get a Nintendo.

El Chuxter
12-04-2005, 02:00 AM
I wonder if Sony being raked over the coals for their XCP spyware on recent copy-protected CDs had anything to do with this?

Scackmgack
12-26-2005, 07:53 PM
How gullible do you have to be to have believed this stupid rumor?

Note to everyone: listen to nothing until you have proof. Rumors are for those with nothing else to do with themselves. There's plenty of reality out there for you to entertain yourselves with without feeling the need to play Nostradamus and predict the future.

Seriously...how could anyone have believed this? Beyond stupid. SONY is ruling the console market. They didn't accomplish the goal through stupidity.

PSP is amazing, PS2 is still the market leader over XBox, and the PS3 is going to drive Xbox 360 into the ground. It's all about the games. System-wise, the PS3 and 360 are not that much different, so it all comes down to who has the established relationships and who will have the best games.

With Unreal Tournament 2007 confirmed as a PS3 launch title, and games like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil as exclusive properties, not to mention the first-release on a next-gen Grand Theft Auto, PS3 is going to rock.

I just need to get an HDTV before it comes out so I can get the most out of the system.

JediTricks
12-27-2005, 03:35 PM
'Cause the entire entertainment industry is going psychotic with this anti-piracy thing, wasting so much money fighting a demon that's really not their primary enemy. Look at the recent Sony-BMG recalls on CDs that put spyware into consumers' computers - they're CRAZED! They could have had serious criminal charges levied against them if the gov't wanted to pursue it to that point.

BTW, I read in PopSci that the PS3 may be out as early as March, is that right? Seems like with all the xbox 360 problems that their REAL release timeline was the same time and they just jacked it up to be first at any cost.

Rogue II
12-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Last I heard, there was a chance PS3 would be out in Japan in March/April, with a summer/fall release in the U.S. I don't believe Sony has ever made an official statement on the release date yet. It is more like speculation. Just like Nintendo isn't saying anything about the Revolution's release date. Sony and Microsoft supposedly will lose money on the consoles because they are selling them for less than it costs to make them. They plan on making the money back in the games.

Hopefully Sony learned from the Xbox 360 and their own Disc Read Error on the early PS2 models.

Lord Malakite
12-28-2005, 12:36 AM
BTW, I read in PopSci that the PS3 may be out as early as March, is that right? Seems like with all the xbox 360 problems that their REAL release timeline was the same time and they just jacked it up to be first at any cost.

According to IGN's site Sony is currently quoting a Spring 2006 launch. It doesn't specify when in Spring though nor is it known if this means the Japanese launch only, the North American launch only, or a worldwide launch.

You are pretty much on the money with the X-Box 360 thing JT, they did want to be the first new system out the gate this time around, especially to cash in as much as they could on the 2005 holiday shopping season.

No official word from Nintendo is expected until the Electronic Entertainment Expo for their system release date Rogue II, but current rumblings from third party developers suggest Nintendo's Revolution is expected out possibly Thanksgiving week of 2006.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-31-2006, 04:27 PM
I talked to the Sony rep at work today while she was taking care of our cases and she informed me of the following regarding the Playstation 3:

1. The disc protection thing this thread discusses will NOT be happening. She said that they're working on new ways to fight piracy that won't effect rentals, re-selling, or even consumers just playing each other games.
2. The system will "more than likely" be all black.
3. It will retail for $399.99-$400.00 dollars.
4. Sony is working on making the launch as painless as possible. They're doing what they can to get all bugs out and to produce as many as possible. She reminded us of the ps2 launch when wal-marts got in roughly 80 and best buys about 250 for the launch and they shipping new units every 2 weeks. They're hoping to do this again.
5. The date is September, October at the VERY latest.
6. It will have backwards compatability, all the way back to the PS1.
7. Wireless controllers are "more than definate."
8. She said to expect stores (EBgames, etc.) to start taking pre-orders staring Mid-March, but call your local game stores to confirm.

I can't wait! Hope this helps y'all! :D

Kidhuman
01-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks man. Helps alot.

Rocketboy
01-31-2006, 08:44 PM
3. It will retail for $399.99-$400.00 dollars.I really hope it will be between those 2 prices. :D

Fwad
02-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Your Sony rep is just making a guess. No final hardware has been decided. Final specs most likely won't be announced until E3.

plasticfetish
02-01-2006, 06:48 AM
There's an interesting article here...
http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/11/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

JediTricks
02-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Back in '91, I bought the Neo-Geo for $600 with the bulk of my first 2 paychecks, it was fun but at that much scratch there was no way I could afford more games - and I worked at a place that SOLD games for every system so I even got employee discount - the bottom line was that there wasn't enough fun to be had at that pricetag, I only bought a few games for it and eventually it fell to the wayside.

When the xbox 360 came out at $300, I thought "that seems high", when they announced the $400 bundle pack, I scoffed and felt sorry for the poor parents who got suckered into buying that. At $500, and with titles going from $50 to $80, that is just too high a pricetag - hell, my grandmother's '91 Ford Tempo blue books for less than that ($375 for a running car in LA county)! At half a grand, I really think Sony's going to be barking up the wrong tree with that notion, blu-ray DVD or not.

El Chuxter
02-02-2006, 08:56 PM
I think it's decided that, if I get a new system, it will be a PS2, not a PS3. That's more than my first car cost.

Kidhuman
02-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Eek, 500 beans is alot. I dont know about this.

JetsAndHeels
02-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Should be interesting to see what happens as we get closer to the projected launch. Like JMG said I have also heard a late 2006 release (from september to november) and at work we should start taking preorders soon. We already have a list of people who want on the preorders, so demand is very high. I just hope Sony does well with the release....the 360 launch has been nothing but a failure IMO, with limited systems and a low variety of games available..not to mention the system crashes and things that have happened along the way.