PDA

View Full Version : Halloween fans: has Moustapha Akkad been murdered ?

2-1B
11-09-2005, 10:36 PM
I just now clicked on a news link about terrorist attacks on a wedding in Jordan, and thought twice when I read this:

"Among the dead was the daughter of Syrian film director Moustafa Akkad, who was also injured in the deadly blast at the Hyatt.

Aqqad, who suffered a gash across his neck and lost a lot of blood, was due to attend a wedding in the southern Red Sea resort of Aqaba on Friday with his daughter Rima, 33, sources close to him said."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-11-09-amman-wedding_x.htm

I figured it was the same Akkad so I looked around IMDb to double check that it was the same person and all I found was a thread that said he had been killed in an attack. I don't know if he's alive or dead.

So I'm wondering if anybody here heard anything. Terrible about him losing his daughter and maybe his own life too (if that is the case :( ).

Mandalorian Candidat
11-10-2005, 11:50 AM
I heard about the attack, but nothing about this director being involved. Was he involved in all the movies or just the ones after John Carpenter?

2-1B
11-10-2005, 12:06 PM
He was executive producer on every single Halloween movie, including Carpenter's original and I assume the upcoming Halloween 9. I do admit I have a beef with the guy over the way they allowed the series to go (if SW fans don't like the continuity from the PT to OT, you should see some of these horror series and you'd know what a REAL break in film continuity is :D ) but that's beside the point.

I just couldn't find any info last night other than the 2 bits I posted. I checked the official Halloween website forums and found nothing there either.
I'll do a new search . . .

James Boba Fettfield
11-10-2005, 11:39 PM
I saw this at DC:

Halloween exec producer and franchise head, Moustapha Akkad, was just one of the hundreds injured in last night's deadly bombings in the Middle East. His thirty-year-old daughter, Reem, was killed according to various news sources.

The blasts occured amongst three separate Western hotel chains in the Jordanian capital of Amman. Fifty-nine people were killed. Officials obviously suspect Al Qaeda's involvement due to the timing, precision and location of the attacks which took place before 9pm last night. Two Americans reportedly died in those bombings.

Akkad suffered a heart attack and, according to our sources, is listed in critical condition. NBC News reports tonight that Reem, a mother of two, and Akkad were in a Hyatt Hotel lobby when the bomb inside went off.

Doesn't sound like he is dead at the moment.

stillakid
11-11-2005, 08:20 AM
He is dead along. Died of a heartattack the following morning. Who wouldn't, after knowing that his beautiful daughter was killed instantly?

And we have home-grown religious "terrorists" like Pat Robertson parading around threatening people with God's wrath too. At what point does a person stop believing in a loving God and decide that God wants them to go on the warpath? I don't get it.

rich_of_the_dead
11-11-2005, 12:34 PM
its on yahoo main page also

2-1B
11-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Well it's about time we got some confirmation. Thanks for the info, everyone.

El Chuxter
11-11-2005, 04:41 PM
As sad as it is, maybe it will hammer home with Americans that the victims of these attacks are not nameless numbers, but real people whose deaths are as tragic as anyone killed in a terrorist attack on our own soil. :cry:

Darth Jax
11-12-2005, 08:15 PM
As sad as it is, maybe it will hammer home with Americans that the victims of these attacks are not nameless numbers, but real people whose deaths are as tragic as anyone killed in a terrorist attack on our own soil. :cry:

for that to happen EC it'll take someone beyond a movie producer, that most of america has never heard of, to be a victim. while plenty of people might be able to identify that john carpenter was the man behind the original halloween, most won't know that mr. akkad was involved with them all.

Jayspawn
11-12-2005, 08:55 PM
HalloweenMovies.com the official website of the Halloween (Michael Myers) movies DOES conform that Moustapha Akkah and his Daughter were killed in the Jordan bombings.

The whole situation is sad. Those terrorists are some really mean ba$t@*!! This is a real tragedy. And Halloween 9 is in the works now!

2-1B
11-13-2005, 02:28 AM
HalloweenMovies.com the official website of the Halloween (Michael Myers) movies DOES conform that Moustapha Akkah and his Daughter were killed in the Jordan bombings.

Did they just put that up today ? It sure took awhile . . .

edit: I see the announcement was indeed put up on the 12th, but Mr. Akkad didn't die until Friday so that would explain the delay. :(