PDA

View Full Version : The rumoured Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show (Terminator)

Devo
11-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Have a look at aint-it-cool-news.com or cinescape.com where theres already some discussion on this. I thought I'd start one here seen as Im not a member of those forums.

Terminator (minus T3) is my favourite franchise after Star Wars so this is of particular interest to me. What are your thoughts?

Devo
11-12-2005, 05:27 PM
God its embarrassing when no one responds to your thread. No love for Terminator then? OK.

2-1B
11-13-2005, 02:19 AM
I like Terminator but I'm not going to "have a look" at Aint-It-Cool, first because I hate that site and second because I have enough stops as it is on my internet surfing.

Perhaps you should have summarized the material and posted it in the opening thread; that might have prompted discussion. :)

Devo
11-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Its supposed to take place after the events of T2 with Sarah and John Connor on the run. And thats just about all the essential info given so far. Most people have said a show set in the Terminator universe without any Terminators is a bit pointless. I'd sort of agree - then again if they do have Terminators thats going to cause continuity problems.

sith_killer_99
11-13-2005, 10:45 AM
then again if they do have Terminators thats going to cause continuity problems.

Continuity problems with the Terminator story line....Nah. LOL What a joke. The entire franchise has continuity problems. LOL Maybe they will hire Joss Whedon to produce. LOL

I agree that without the "hook" of actual Terminators or proto-Terminators this series is doomed to failure. It is the obvious choice for a protaganist, anything else falls short.

2-1B
11-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Curious, maybe they should do a series of an old John Connor in the future fighting Ts or something . . .

Devo
11-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Curious, maybe they should do a series of an old John Connor in the future fighting Ts or something . . .

More likely that'll be the premise for the next film if indeed T4 is going ahead. If it even should considering the embarrassment of T3. Now that T3 is out and I've had time to think about it I've realised that Cameron was right about there being no worthwhile story to tell after T2. T3 had a good truck chase and thats it. Everything else took the p*ss out of the first 2 films with ridiculous 'crowdpleasing' jokes that purported to be 'homages'. Typical Hollywood, whatever pulls in the punters, to hell with the integrity of the films.

Continuity problems with the Terminator story line....Nah. LOL What a joke. The entire franchise has continuity problems

I know you're right, its all a bit buggered up really. For one thing, if the 1st T-800 had already gone through the time portal when the resistance discovered it shouldn't he already have been successful in his mission from their point of view in the future? The moment it went through shouldn't it and presumably its killing of Sarah connor immediatley have become part of the past, thereby rendering the resistance non-existent and therefore providing no chance to send Reese back after it....blah blah blah. No one could figure it out if they thought about nothing else their entire life. So I see your point. Worrying about continuity in the Terminator universe is actually moot. It got even more botched up with T3, which contradicted the theme of T1 and T2 (the future not being set VS T3's no actually its inevitable) aswell as specific details like John Connors age. It was all a sham really. At least T1 and T2 offered up a neat arc. T3 is pointlessly tacked on. I'd fear any tv show would be likewise.

2-1B
11-13-2005, 03:49 PM
As a kid I always got freaked out during the Reese flashback (or flashforward ? :crazed: ) scenes and that would make a pretty cool film premise. Scary as hell were those robot scenes in the original Terminator.

scruffziller
11-13-2005, 06:23 PM
T3 may have been pointlessly tacked on but like I discussed in the T3 forum some time ago is that the judgement day of T3 is an alternate reality created by the events of T2. It isn't the same judgement day or same story but it is happening. For different reasons and under different circumstances. Somewhat analgous to the events in the movie (never read the book) The Time Machine. He kept changing the events to save his wife but she kept dying anyway. You can change how it will happen, but you can't stop it from happening. This was what T3 was about. It was about John Connor needing to accept his destiny and taking the future for what it was going to be. The only way to stop the machines was for John Connor to defeat them in the here and now the way it was suppose to be. Not by trying to bend the space-time continium.

But as far as the TV show goes, they can't have Termies because up till T3 there had been no activity whatsoever. So I just may have to go to Aintitcoolnews,

Tycho
10-02-2006, 03:39 AM
I don't want a TV show. I will see T-4, but that should possibly be the last one if they go that route, else maybe all of them should be Future Wars from here on out.

OC47150
10-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Its supposed to take place after the events of T2 with Sarah and John Connor on the run. And thats just about all the essential info given so far. Most people have said a show set in the Terminator universe without any Terminators is a bit pointless. I'd sort of agree - then again if they do have Terminators thats going to cause continuity problems.

There are three books out that take place following T2. I've only read the first one but it was good and I do recommend it. I will get the title and share it with you.

It's a couple of years after T2, and Sarah and John are hiding out in South America.

If I remember correctly, a different time of Terminator has been sent to track down Sarah and John.

JEDIpartner
10-04-2006, 10:07 AM
I dunno about this one. I think that T3 kinda took the significance and interest in the franchise out of the general viewer. I know that, for as much as I loved the first two films, I had NO interest in seeing the third one (and I was told to avoid it by those fans who DID see it) and I currently have no interest in seeing the series. Linda Hamilton played the part of Sarah Connor so well that it would be like watching someone step into the boots of Han Solo or some other well-liked, strongly identifiable character.

Tycho
10-04-2006, 10:16 AM
A future war TV series or movie franchise - about John Conner leading the toops to capture Skynet - is the way to go. I might enjoy it if they did it - but I don't require it.

Obviously it won't need Arnold. It might employ Kyle. It will need John. Most Terminators can be exoskeletons. I don't think the Termamatrix needs to return, as she was a prototype anyway - same with the T-1000.

The series will play like the old BattleStar Galactica on the ground, during a nuclear winter. :rolleyes:

Tycho
08-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Well I saw the whole first episode premiered at Comic Con.

It was awesome and it was nothing like what I'd been expecting. But they did a really good job. This is going to be a great show!

Unfortunately, today on CNN they revealed video footage of the field tests of "the real Terminators" (no AI programming yet) - but nevertheless, military killing machines with live ammunition.

There is a discussion that began in 2005 well under way in the Rancor Pit if you're so inclined.

El Chuxter
11-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Lately, I keep seeing ads, and every time I see one, it reminds me to check the cats' litterbox.

Tycho
11-25-2007, 11:57 PM
When does the show start? January, right? What date?

It's really good Chux. I saw it at Comic Con. The only way it could be better is if Michael Bay guest-directed some episodes!

Or Summer Blau appeared naked in more shows!

Rocketboy
11-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Or Summer Blau appeared naked in more shows!Or Summer Glau.

General_Grievous
11-26-2007, 03:36 PM
The only way it could be better is if Michael Bay guest-directed some episodes!

Okay, Tycho. I have to ask. Are you serious about this Michael Bay campaign that you've got going, or are you just kidding around?

Tycho
11-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I'll answer that this way:

I loved the Transformers movie. It had its flaws to be sure. As a G1 fan I see them - as well as a fan of SCIENCE fiction and good writing. But I really loved the movie and enjoy relaxing with those that did as well and who are not taking the whole thing so seriously like Transformers Fundamentalists.

The radical Fundamentalists want to lynch Michael Bay and lay blame on him constantly for the Transformers Reformation Movement.

There are some notable Fundamentalists posting on this site.

It gives me great pleasure to remind them at any opportunity that they are not the only POV out there. That is why I'll recommend Michael Bay action figures at the earliest opportunity, as well as insert my nomination for him to direct everything down to a live-action revival of The Smurfs.

I do like Pearl Harbor, and possibly some other Bay movies, though I haven't seen them all. But to offer a counter to the radical Fundamentalists, I must take a stand a support the proliferation of Michael Bay into the greater Free Media.

Join me, and together we can petition for Bay to direct an episode of Desperate Housewives. Consider the improvements that car chases and gun battles would add to that program.

General_Grievous
11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Fair enough. I am in no way a Transformers fundamentalist, but I don't think Bay is that great of a guy. Sure, I enjoyed the movie a lot, for what it was, but that doesn't mean I like Michael Bay. In a related example, I loathe Tom Cruise, but I still think that "Rain Man" is an excellent movie. I credit the real impressive work on Transformers to ILM. Bay just seems like a guy stuck in the '80s, judging by his other films (and by his hair). Sure, he's okay at what he does, but he's no Spielberg. But getting back on topic, he would make for a good director on the Terminator TV show. This sort of stuff is right up his alley.

OC47150
11-26-2007, 08:06 PM
I've noticed that Fox added/is playing up the Terminator aspect/connection to the show more than they were.

I'll give it a shot.

Tycho
11-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Sure, he's okay at what he does, but he's no Spielberg. But getting back on topic, he would make for a good director on the Terminator TV show. This sort of stuff is right up his alley.

I'll agree with you. However, did you know that Spielberg chose Bay to be his prodigal son, in a manner of speaking?

Francis Ford Coppola sort of "trained" George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, James Cammeron - some of those guys.

Now Spielberg is sort of "training" Michael Bay. The Transformers trilogy (or more if that winds up being the case, as is rumored for Spider-Man as well), is the Spielberg-Bay enterprise. Apparently Spielberg thinks Bay's best efforts are up-and-coming. These two may team up on other projects in the future.

El Chuxter
11-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Coppola was a new filmmaker around the same time as Lucas and Spielberg. I've always heard their professional relationship was symbiotic.

Bay made one pretty good movie, Armageddon. And he keeps trying to re-make it. He's proven that nothing will get in the way of his continually re-making inferior versions of Armageddon, be it prior continuity (Transformers) or even commonly known historical fact (Pearl Harbor).

BanthaPoodoo
11-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Got a chance at an advance showing of the season premiere around July of this year. Pretty good I think.

There were a bunch of advances screening of a bunch of new shows around then.

OC47150
11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
I have some of the Terminator comic books and have read one of the novels that takes place after T2 (haven't read the others) so I think the potential to do something great is there.

My question is, will Fox give it a chance? Fox's track record hasn't been the best over the last couple of years in this area. I can see the show being pulled after the third showing if the ratings are dismal.

Tycho
11-29-2007, 08:30 PM
How can the ratings be dismal when men will tune in just to stare at Summer Glau? :love: BTW, the show has something to do with Terminator stuff and other characters will have speaking lines... :crazed:

OC47150
11-29-2007, 08:36 PM
But it's Fox!!! :twisted:

Lord Malakite
11-30-2007, 01:18 PM
My question is, will Fox give it a chance? Fox's track record hasn't been the best over the last couple of years in this area. I can see the show being pulled after the third showing if the ratings are dismal.
As long as the writer's strike remains in place I don't think you'll have to worry about Fox pulling the show after the third episode. Afterall, they need something besides re-runs to keep audience's attention until they can come up with enough reality crap to fill the vacant areas in their primetime lineup.

OC47150
11-30-2007, 06:23 PM
If Fox was smart, the lede in show would be American Idol.

Desfiy
12-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I am more interested in knowning if there going to run a franchise to this, and if so do you think they will do a line of 3 3/4 figures, now if they do that then there could be some real potential custom fodder.

And I hope the TV series does well.

Tycho
12-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh boy. More stuff for us to collect. Although perhaps Summer Glau in action figure form could make a reasonable Jaina Solo when you can't distinguish that much detail at 3 3/4" (if they chose that scale).

But having seen the pilot at Comic Con, the characters are:

John Conner as a teen
Sarah Conner - reasonably attractive
new Termamatrix - Summer Glau, very hot!
black FBI guy

The guest star Terminator of the week (or season as the writers promised at Con - not relegating the show to a guest star role every week, but having ongoing story arcs as the fans requested).

General_Grievous
01-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Just wanted to remind you guys that the pilot airs on Sunday night and there is a new promo poster featuring the very sexalicious Summer Glau:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0851851/Ss/0851851/terminator_poster1.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0851851

JediTricks
01-10-2008, 08:16 PM
They were doing a premiere for this at the Cinerama Dome last night, it was pretty dead, kinda sad.

Tycho
01-10-2008, 10:01 PM
JT, this is what I was watching at Comic Con before you could get in and join me (for Smallville I think). I hope it hasn't been changed or toned down from the original that I saw.

There was rumors that after Virginia Tech, the school shooting scenes would be cut. That would suck because they were really good and dramatic.

I agree with Kliebold, Harris, Cho, et all that if you're going to shoot innocent people, it's very effective to pick your targets amongst unarmed school children.

DarthQuack
01-10-2008, 10:02 PM
I had thought I missed this, I'll either be in a good mood watching this or a crappy one, depending on the outcome of the Giants/Cowboys game.

UKWildcat
01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
I am a pretty big fan of the Terminator movies, well, the first two anyways, so I'll definitely give this show a shot. It stars Lena Headey of 300 fame, so that is a plus (at least to me it is). Yeah, I'm kind of looking forward to this show, and I hope it is good. Of course even if it is good it will likely get canceled prematurely by Fox.

Tycho
01-11-2008, 02:05 AM
At Comic Con, they made it sound like they had some scripts done - which is great in light of the writers' strike. I don't know how much they have done though.

It would seem that they would order 13 shows (including the pilot) scripted, then test run them, before they paid a writing staff to continue on for another season.

Thus this might or might not be a successful show - but we still will feel like it failed due to the strike.

Tycho
01-13-2008, 03:26 PM
It's On at 8PM on FOX TONIGHT!

It's really worth viewing. I saw this first episode at Comic Con and I hope nothing's edited, nothing's changed. It's gonna be brutal!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-13-2008, 04:04 PM
I already got a series recording for it set on my DVR. :thumbsup:

2-1B
01-13-2008, 07:52 PM
DVRing it as well and watching right now...it's not bad so far, if nothing else it's resparked my interest in the Films (all 3 of which I loved, by the way - INCLUDING the third one).

I'm gonna try to follow this show throughout.

Man, nothing beats the original flick though...scared the hell outta me as a kid. lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I enjoyed the pilot tonight. It wasn't life changing, but it was solid entertainment with a fun story, and great action. I did like how they included the stuff about Miles Dyson and even had his family. that was a nice nod to the original films. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
01-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I enjoyed it alot too. I thought the action was cool, and the story is pretty well done. Looking forward to tuning in again tomorrow night.

UKWildcat
01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I really enjoyed the pilot tonight and I'm looking forward to the second one tomorrow. I was surprised by how good it turned out to be and how much I liked it. Like JMG said, very fun and solid entertainment. The nods to the originals was great indeed. I thought Headey did a good job as Sarah Connor and I love Summer Glau (River from Firefly/Serenity) as John's protector. The kid who played John was okay too I guess. Anyways, yeah! Really excited about this show now, after watching the pilot!!! :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Man, nothing beats the original flick though...
...except for "Terminator 2: Judgment Day". ;)

I caught the pilot. I liked it. It wasn't brilliant, but at least it was better than "Terminator 3". I thought that this incarnation of Sarah Connor was just as good as Linda Hamilton's. The kid from "Heroes" who played John Connor was decent. Summer Glau makes for a hotter Terminator than Kristina Whatsherface from "T3". As for the villain Terminator, he seemed pretty boring. No Arnold Schwarzenegger and definitely no Robert Patrick. But I doubt we've seen the last of him, anyway. Overall, I liked it enough to come back again and watch the second episode tomorrow night.

Rocketboy
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I thought it was fairly decent, nothing too special, but I'd watch again.
If Mondays at 9 is going to be its permanent spot, I'll be dropping it once Heroes returns (after the writer's strike is over) thats for sure.

stillakid
01-13-2008, 11:09 PM
eh. :ermm:

I wasn't crazy about the casting at all. Sarah is missing that special edge that Hamilton gave her. John was lackluster at best. Furlong was pretty unique and anyone else will likely not quite be up to snuff. And the protector-Terminator girl is just ok. Her uttering the line "Come with me if you want to live" didn't inspire much beyond a little laugh and disappointment because she could never say it with the same power that Arnold gave it originally. And the guy playing bad-guy Terminator was just terrible.

I sat there wondering how they can make a TV season out of a chase movie.

The effects were impressive though, especially for a TV budget. I was missing the main theme music during some prime moments.

I was mildly surprised by protector-Terminator's move at the bank at the end. Unexpected which makes me wonder what could be coming next.

I don't know... maybe I'll watch tomorrow night to give it another chance.

2-1B
01-14-2008, 12:50 AM
...except for "Terminator 2: Judgment Day". ;)

No way dude, The Terminator is the crown jewel of this series. T2 was great, no doubt, but the first one was the balls. :cool:

The more I think about this show though, the more I hate the fact that they are just tossing T3 out. Lame.

General_Grievous
01-14-2008, 01:55 AM
If Mondays at 9 is going to be its permanent spot, I'll be dropping it once Heroes returns (after the writer's strike is over) thats for sure.
I'm pretty sure that once "Heroes" returns, this show will move to either a new night or timeslot.

Kidhuman
01-14-2008, 06:19 AM
I agree, once Heroes is back this show is done if they leave it where it is.

I thought it started off kind of cheesy with Sarahs dream. I didnt have hopes of making it through then. It turned out pretty decent. Good effects and alot of action. It has eld my interest for tonight and hopefully it gets better.

Tycho
01-14-2008, 09:18 AM
The more I think about this show though, the more I hate the fact that they are just tossing T3 out. Lame.

They're not. This series takes place:

1) After T2
2) Before T3

I heard it straight from the writers / producers / cast at Comic Con where they first aired the pilot.

In T3 we learned Sarah Conner died from cancer - (her crypt in the graveyard contained all those weapons that Arnold uses) and that was obviously after this series takes place.

Anyway, I'm in love with Summer Glau! :love:

stillakid
01-14-2008, 10:01 AM

That would be the best thing they could do. I never could understand why studios feel the need to undo James Cameron movies (Aliens, T2) with a sequel that obliterates the point of his movies.

In Aliens, it was about saving Newt who was the metaphor for saving humanity. Alien 3 tosses that all out in the first five minutes when Newt is dead.

T2 was all about stopping the threat and ended with a deep philosophical message that our futures are unwritten meaning that we don't have to settle for a life we don't like. It didn't mean that the threat could come back...if it did, what would be the point of the two hours of T2?

So maybe that's what's bugging me about these tv show. With the element of time travel, there really is NO way to stop the threat absolutely, because SkyNet could just continue to send back Terminators farther and farther back into time to kill off the possibility that Sarah ever is born.

Lord Malakite
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
They're not. This series takes place:

1) After T2
2) Before T3

I heard it straight from the writers / producers / cast at Comic Con where they first aired the pilot.

In T3 we learned Sarah Conner died from cancer - (her crypt in the graveyard contained all those weapons that Arnold uses) and that was obviously after this series takes place.

Anyway, I'm in love with Summer Glau! :love:

Its impossible for T3 and T:SCC to exist in the same universe Tycho. Although it initially fits the timeframe of between T2 and T3, there are too many inconsistencies in the pilot episode. According to T3 Sara died from her cancer shortly after the original date of Judgement Day passed (which was sometime around 1997). T:SCC starts in 1999 and Sara is very much alive. Furthermore, in T3 the new date for Judgement Day actually occurs during the movie (which takes place in 2004 if I'm remembering correctly). In T:SCC they "time warp" forward to 2007 and the new date for Judgement Day has not yet happened.

The following statement I found even seems to confirm that they are in seperate timelines:

But wait... doesn't Sarah's very presence in this story negate some of the things that were said in Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines? "Terminator fans have very ambivalent feelings toward Terminator 3," Sarah Connor Chronicles executive producer Josh Friedman admitted to iFMagazine.com in a Summer 2007 interview. "To me, itís about Sarah, and the big thing about Terminator 3 is Sarah is not in it. Given the opportunity to do what I consider a third movie, with an iconic character, Iím really excited about it as a Terminator fan and I hope Terminator fans are. I think itís almost better to make a big decision, Terminator 3 for our timeline doesnít exist, now letís go forward. Itís a much cleaner and easier thing to do than say, Ďweíre shooting here and weíre going to make six or seven back flips to do that.í [The] Terminator [franchise] is the ultimate timeline. One is a TV timeline, oneís a movie time line. Track them both and see where we end up."

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 11:49 AM
It is impossible for this show or T3 to exist, since the hardware used to create them was destroyed in the early 90s.

Time travel has to have rules, or it becomes stupid. Like in T3.

stillakid
01-14-2008, 12:31 PM
It is impossible for this show or T3 to exist, since the hardware used to create them was destroyed in the early 90s.

Time travel has to have rules, or it becomes stupid. Like in T3.

I wish they would've let Cameron do his version of T3. It had something to do with leaping back and forth from time to time and showing something about paradoxes. Something like that.

In essence, the only sequel(s) for T2 would be a story that shows the buildup to Judgment Day and how that future falls apart with the events of T1 and T2. Confusing to write, for sure, but as mentioned, without some kind of rule regarding time travel, there is a never ending loop where the terrible future is never really undermined. The "event day" would have to come and go (as it did at the end of T2) in order for there to be any sense of resolution.

T2 worked the way it did because Miles was supposedly the only one working on the project and they destroyed all of the files. The Sarah Connor Chronicles can only exist because of this new element that someone else continued the work. Therein lies the "mystery" to be solved, I presume, which is likely what the show will revolve around.

Slicker
01-14-2008, 04:36 PM
The way I see time travel is that it has never, nor will it ever, exist. If we had invented time travel don't you think that we'd know because someone would've travelled back in time?

stillakid
01-14-2008, 04:48 PM
The way I see time travel is that it has never, nor will it ever, exist. If we had invented time travel don't you think that we'd know because someone would've travelled back in time?

Only if you assume that they'd make themselves known. If we assume for a minute that it does exist, at this point in history (ours), we don't know what the "rules" would be or how it works. So maybe there are limitations that our descendants figure out that we can't know yet.

Or maybe time travel only works forward.

Who can know.

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 04:55 PM
I figure that time travel, were it to really exist, would only allow one to go forward. Going back in time would cause a severe paradox, possibly destroying all of reality.

OC47150
01-14-2008, 07:28 PM
I enjoyed it.

The FBI character reminded me of one of the characters from the post-T2 novels.

Was expecting the time travel aspect.

UKWildcat
01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm surprised no one has posted in this thread yet since the second episode aired tonight. I have it on the DVR and have not watched it yet, that is my excuse. :p

[I actually plan on watching it here in a bit]

Tycho
01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
It hasn't aired in California yet. It will come on in 20 more minutes so it will be at least 80 minutes before I can make a brilliant post concerning it.

UKWildcat
01-14-2008, 11:11 PM
It hasn't aired in California yet. It will come on in 20 more minutes so it will be at least 80 minutes before I can make a brilliant post concerning it.

Ah Ha! I forgot about you fellers there on the west coast. ;)

Tycho
01-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Oh dude it was awesome tonight. I remember Summer Glau in that blue jean skirt most of all, but somethings were great surprises.

When Enrique was shot, that surprised me.

They cleared up the cancer thing with Sarah alright as well.

I wonder if the Termamatrix is actually Sarah somehow. She seems to have affections for John and he may be subconsciously mistaking it for sexual tension - but perhaps it's something more maternal? The other thing is that she could be Brewster (John's future wife from T3) programmed into the Termatarix. That would keep the incest undertones at bay.

I liked the gang-land scenes. It added a real-feel to the show.

And it was funny when Sarah just threw the Termamatix out the window when she needed to reboot.

Pretty good show so far.

General_Grievous
01-15-2008, 01:01 PM
I liked last night's episode.

I really like how they're tying in other characters from the movies like Enrique into the show.

I enjoyed the scene at the gang hideout where the Terminator was copying the other girl's moves.

I'm really looking forward to next week, where we see some Endoskeleton action.

Tycho
01-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I did a Terminator movie marathon last night! :crazed:

I actually enjoyed each movie progressively more, liking T3 the best. WTF?

I guess because it's the newest - but that car chase with the construction crane, fire truck, and remote controlled emergency vehicles was one of the craziest, action-packed scenes I'd seen in a long time!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-15-2008, 06:35 PM
I watched the second episode a bit ago via DVR and enjoyed it. It didn't have as much action as the pilot, but I did like how they included Enrique from T2, even though he turned iffy. I also thought it was interesting how they talked about 9/11 and i found Sarah's response interesting, to say the least. It did seem like it's setting things in motion and we now know that there are at least two other terminators out there in pursuit. Overall, another solid episode.

And LOST fans should notice a LOST vet in the show. :thumbsup:

2-1B
01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
They cleared up the cancer thing with Sarah alright as well.

Yeah, I LOVED that, it brought me right back on board...I didn't want them to throw T3 out the window, so if they change that timeline I'm fine with it, but I just didn't want it ignored in the franchise...just altered. :)

UKWildcat
01-15-2008, 08:02 PM
I enjoyed last nights show as well...

2-1B
01-15-2008, 08:19 PM
I only got about halfway though, I was at my mom's watching it and I dozed off...but I DVR'd it at home so I'm gonna cue that up here in a bit. Hopefully it recorded correctly. ;)

stillakid
01-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I LOVED that, it brought me right back on board...I didn't want them to throw T3 out the window, so if they change that timeline I'm fine with it, but I just didn't want it ignored in the franchise...just altered. :)

They probably got some advice from G. Lucas for that strategy. :D

2-1B
01-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Next week we will find out that John Connor is a great military leader because of his high mitochondria count. lol

tagmac
01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
After watching the first two episodes, I have to admit I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. Can't wait for the next episode.

based on what we've seen so far, I have to say, this is a prime example of how good the Star Wars TV show could be if it's done right. They say that no movie-to-tv-series show has ever lasted, but Terminator seems to be different. Hope Lucas is paying close attention,

JediTricks
01-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Tycho called me Sunday to remind me to watch, he tried to fool me into seeing it at SDCC as well. I actually did tape it Sunday and tried to watch it monday morning, but it was pretty blah. After the opening dream sequence, the blah-blah parts for the next 20 were so boring I fast-forwarded (which is a rarity for me) until the next action scene, which wasn't really that well done. I ended up fast-forwarding through more, mostly the scenes with the fiance and FBI guy. I found the new Sarah Connor to be extremely limp-noodle compared to the movie character, while John was just generic. The time-jump was silliness and ultimately I just wasn't engaged at all.

figrin bran
01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Next week we will find out that John Connor is a great military leader because of his high mitochondria count. lol

Mitochondria aren't anything special at all! You have them in great abundance, I have them, we all have them. You probably meant "midichlorians" :p

Tycho
01-22-2008, 04:15 AM
So who watched last night? I thought it was another great episode.

The girl's suicide was a nice twist. You start to think that John or the TX was going to be a hero and save her, catch her, something like that. Allowing her death just goes to show how different they must behave to stay off the radar and live undercover.

The Terminator creating a blood bath to grow cyborg tissue was great! That was freaky when the scientist cut his eye sockets open. That was wild.

Why the heck didn't the scientist run for the hills when he saw what that thing was? Almost a rhetorical discussion. They were playing up the Oppenheimer theme, to answer my own question.

So Sarah let the cell phone guy live - but did she burn his house down or did a resistance agent from the future do it?

Another great show tonight. I guess next week it's not on, but it will return the week after that.

Kidhuman
01-22-2008, 06:01 AM
I wanted to know what was up with the doors being painted on the walls.

Tycho
01-22-2008, 07:56 AM
I took it as a male teacher was having sex with a female student, and she wanted it kept quiet, but it got out.

I'm not sure what the door imagery was all about myself.

But in any case, the girl committed suicide over the affair. It was an incidental "D-part" to the story that was just there to add ambiance to everything, but it was interesting since John nor the TX was allowed to draw attention to themselves by saving her.

Devo
01-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Totally didn't occur to me that I started this thread......its gone over 8 pages....there must have been some other thread that got merged with it - no thread of mine gets that much attention.

Anyway, I think the show is OK but it smells of T3 in places - Terminators issuing one liners that don't have T2's "learned from a child" basis and which, in one glaring case, totally contravene's the purpose of a Terminator - "class dismissed" to the startled class of irrelevant humans - meanwhile SkyNets perpetually top priority target is escaping. Theres also inexplicable hesitations in delivering death blows - John connor is kneeling, terminator has gun loaded and aimed almost point blank - dramatic pause - time enough for terminator to get run over. Why would a Terminator pause like that? Not out of character for this particular T-800 I suppose.

stillakid
01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Agreed. And they kind of lost me at the end of episode 2 when the beheaded Terminator baddie somehow attaches a human head to go look for his own head. :rolleyes: Puhlease.... of course this is sci-fi so there are some liberties we have to take to watch it, but if a damn Terminator gets beheaded, it should be dead. Period. I mean, if that isn't enough to kill it, what ever will be?

Tycho
01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
The IG-Magna Droids (General Grievous' body guards) operated without heads like when Obi-Wan Kenobi cut one's head off.

Now perhaps the Terminator's CPU is in their head. But maybe it transmits a frequency to its body? Or maybe it has a backup CPU in its body? Or its CPU was never in its head?

I "need" a schematic of a T-800 Terminator to accurately analyze this. I have completely nothing better to do ;)

stillakid
01-22-2008, 05:45 PM
The IG-Magna Droids (General Grievous' body guards) operated without heads like when Obi-Wan Kenobi cut one's head off.

Good strategy, using such a fine example from a perfect movie to justify something. ;)

Tycho
01-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Good strategy, using such a fine example from a perfect movie to justify something. ;)

I thought you'd be in awe of my finely tuned wisdom exemplified my choice in that regard. :pleased:

stillakid
01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I thought you'd be in awe of my finely tuned wisdom exemplified my choice in that regard. :pleased:

Oh, I'm always in awe. That isn't in question. :)

Devo
01-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Agreed. And they kind of lost me at the end of episode 2 when the beheaded Terminator baddie somehow attaches a human head to go look for his own head. :rolleyes: Puhlease.... of course this is sci-fi so there are some liberties we have to take to watch it, but if a damn Terminator gets beheaded, it should be dead. Period. I mean, if that isn't enough to kill it, what ever will be?

That bothered me about T3 - when the Tx stamped the T-850's head off - all he had to do was plop it back on like C-3pO. Wouldn't vital connectors have been severed? Plus, if the the TX was reprogramming him why didn't she put his head back on, thereby hastening him on his way to kill john connor. Hated that whole thing anyway - it would have been far more threatening and dramatic if the T-850 turned into a villain Terminator wholesale (ala T1) rather than the way they actually did it in the film. The internally conflicted Terminator was a bit crap - in keeping with the rest of the film.

OC47150
01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Good episode. The Terminator growing skin was interesting.

The question I have is, Summer Glau's character was pretty animated in the first episode, when she approached John at school. Then she turned robotic.

Tycho
01-24-2008, 07:03 PM
My guess is she can now be more "of herself" around John since he knows what she really is.

2-1B
01-24-2008, 07:36 PM
That bothered me about T3 - when the Tx stamped the T-850's head off - all he had to do was plop it back on like C-3pO. Wouldn't vital connectors have been severed? Plus, if the the TX was reprogramming him why didn't she put his head back on, thereby hastening him on his way to kill john connor. Hated that whole thing anyway - it would have been far more threatening and dramatic if the T-850 turned into a villain Terminator wholesale (ala T1) rather than the way they actually did it in the film. The internally conflicted Terminator was a bit crap - in keeping with the rest of the film.

A fair point (I just watched T3 the other day and admit to being a fan) but in my opinion, the conflicted part isn't that bad considering the ridiculous sappiness of T2 where the Termy says "I know now why you cry." lol

Rocketboy
01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
I can now confirm that this show really exists. It is no longer a rumored project.

OC47150
02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
If you remove Termininator continunity debate from the picture, TSCC is one of the sharpest written shows on the air right now, IMO. The 'kill someone and go out for pancakes' line just did it for me.

I also think TSCC is an example of good casting. Lena Headley was correctly cast, unlike other shows (Bionic Woman, for example), and she's growing into and taking the Sarah role over as her own.

Tycho
02-09-2008, 07:21 PM
In the last episode, I really thought that John Connor's character grew and he took some initiative and got into the action instead of just let these ladies protect him.

It's great to see him not be a mamma's boy. :thumbsup:

Tycho
02-12-2008, 12:13 PM
That was a nice surprise last night that Eric was Kyle Reese's brother!

It looked like he was going to live, too. That'd be a nice change from typical television where a guest star on an action series is quickly killed off.

This show has been really good.

Next week with the future wars flyers looks really cool in terms of special effects.

So when did the TX get the name "Cameron?" I've seen every episode but I must have been thinking about something else when they covered that.

I get the reference to James Cameron by the way. Clever. (He created the Terminator movie franchise for those who still don't have a clue.)

But I'm thinking they named her when the police officer was gang-profiling her outside Enrique's nephew's house when Sarah was trying to get their new identities.

Meanwhile, I bet Sarah's ex's present wife does get jealous and calls it in and puts them back on the radar. Or, one of the Terminators chooses to shadow Sarah's ex and he leads them to them.

Meanwhile, John's interested in that girl at his school with the super-over-protective parents. I bet they're in a witness-protection program or something that will lead involvement with John to put the FBI and the Terminators into play.

But this show surprises me with good writing, so anything's possible.

OC47150
02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
The Reece brother was a nice tie-in to the original movie.

And Sarah's starting to transform herself, too.

Yes, the female Terminator's name is Cameron but they haven't referred to her by that name very often. I've heard 'Cam' used a couple of times.

Kidhuman
02-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I was like 90210 boy in the Terminator. Odd choice, I hope he can pull it off. I like this show and hope it does well. I wonder if it will be moved when Heroes comes back on.

OC47150
02-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Here's an interesting interview with Summer Glau.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2008/02/summer-lovin-wi.html

It answers some of the questions we have about Cameron the robot.

figrin bran
02-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Tycho, I think we first hear the TX referred to as Cameron in the pilot episode.

And to answer that question from OC's link, River wins the duel against Cam.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
In the last episode, I really thought that John Connor's character grew and he took some initiative and got into the action instead of just let these ladies protect him.

It's great to see him not be a mamma's boy. :thumbsup:

I agree; that episode (two weeks back) really showed John coming into his own. And it's not that he's the typical momma's boy to me at least, it's Sarah doing whatever she can to keep him safe.

And it was pretty surprising to see Kyle's brother show up. Although, when I see Brian Austin Greene, I can't help but think of this debacle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asi_HlFL0vY oh the early 90's, what were we thinking?!?! :crazed:

Tonights episode looks pretty good too with a glimpse into the future. The show is on the bubble ratings wise, so be sure to support it! :thumbsup:

Tycho
02-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Tonight was incredible. The best episode yet!

1) The Future Wars! Dude, the effects looked awesome. The tie-in to when Sarah's picture was burned when the machines attacked Kyle's underground base (shown in the first Terminator film) was great. I loved the casting of someone similar to Michael Biehn to play the part of Kyle. This was all unexpected.

I had no idea what the machines were doing with the humans chained in that house and how it was the one structure not flattened by the nuclear blast that seemed to obviously have leveled everything else around it. So what went on in the basement? I wasn't expecting Andy Good to return (one of the creators of SkyNet who was killed the other week.) They are really wrapping mystery into this show like a true serial show. I can't believe how each episode has me yearning for the next one.

2) Derek Reese did kill Andy Good even though he lied to Sarah and told her that he didn't. What's he hiding? What's his mission? The whole episode I wanted John to tell Derek that he was his uncle, but in the end I was saying "whew - that was close," when we found out that Derek had an ulterior motive - which we don't know of yet.

3) Nice job with Sarah's former fiance's recurring role (the EMT). He sure can work like a surgeon for being only an EMT. I was impressed. But John being AB- ? What are the odds? That was hard to swallow.

4) What's up with Cameron keeping that other Terminator's processor that she pocketed? When she had the pillow that she put behind Derek's head, she was holding it like she'd originally intended to suffocate him with it. For one of the first times in the show, I'm not trusting her. She's a Terminator after all. Everyone seems to have their own agendas.

There's more I forgot but this was such a great episode tonight!

I love this show!

Lord Malakite
02-19-2008, 02:09 AM
4) What's up with Cameron keeping that other Terminator's processor that she pocketed? When she had the pillow that she put behind Derek's head, she was holding it like she'd originally intended to suffocate him with it. For one of the first times in the show, I'm not trusting her. She's a Terminator after all. Everyone seems to have their own agendas.
Pocketing the T-888's processor isn't the only odd thing she has done. Two weeks ago she kept some of the coltan (the raw endo-skeleton material) instead of dumping it in the river. Then last week she wrote a letter (like the students at school were writing to the suicide girl) to the T-888 she deactivated by removing the processor.

Tycho
02-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Actually, what she going to do with all that flesh-meat she took off the T-888?

I wonder if she's going to start building her own Terminator?

That's just gross! The whole process.

I liked it when the EMT dude told her she was seriously freaking scary!

I was thinking she was sexy up to tonight's episode. Now she made me uncomfortable. I don't trust her.

Lord Malakite
02-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Actually, what she going to do with all that flesh-meat she took off the T-888?
There could be a couple of possibilites for that which I can think of. The first is the smell bringing unwanted attention. The smell of burning flesh could cause neighbors to call the police.

The second is to disguise severe injury in the future. While Terminators have the ability to "heal" so to speak as the T-800 told Sara in T2, I doubt their healing ability is a magically quick as Cromarte's insta-skin formula method. If she were to recieve severe skin damage that could compromise her human disguise in the future she could now do a "patch job" so to speak.

The one thing that bothered me was the fact that Sara and John didn't try to have Cameron reprogram the T-888 into working for them. I suppose the "they still sometimes go bad" statement Cameron made in the future sort of explains why they didn't attempt it. Still though, it would of been nice to have Cameron or Sara specifically come out and say if that was the reason or state that they did not mental or technological ability of how to reprogram a terminator.

Tycho
02-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Sarah wouldn't ever accept that. She HATES Terminators, no matter what their supposed programming.

She only dealt with one other Protector, Arnold in T2, and he wasn't born of her idea. It might be short-sighted on Sarah's part, but it is her character. Not to mention, making benevolent DEFENSE machines is what started this thing in the first place (Skynet) so her reasons are not without warrant.

Cameron using that preserved flesh to fix herself? Gross! Gross! Gross! That would completely end my fantasy of John turning her into a porn-bot right there.

I think you're right about her not wanting to give off the smell of burning flesh and attracting attention that way, but seriously... dude the whole idea is just GROSS!

How did Cromarte get his name anyway? Was that the name the substitute teacher gave in the first place? The name is even creepy. I'm sure it's supposed to be. (This is not a complaint - this show is so darn good! I have at least one friend over every week when it's on and we watch the show in a "fan group.")

But until this flesh thing, I was into Cameron's character and less-so, Sarah's. Now if Cameron twitches and Sarah blows her into a million pieces, I'm not sure I'll cry. That's good writing.

Yeah, they've made the character of Sarah Conner interesting again!

Kidhuman
02-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Nice job with Sarah's former fiance's recurring role (the EMT). He sure can work like a surgeon for being only an EMT. I was impressed. But John being AB- ? What are the odds? That was hard to swallow.

Its not that far fetched since Kyle is his dad and Dereks brother. Genetics and all that crap. The best matches for stuff is family.

OC47150
02-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Pocketing the T-888's processor isn't the only odd thing she has done. Two weeks ago she kept some of the coltan (the raw endo-skeleton material) instead of dumping it in the river. Then last week she wrote a letter (like the students at school were writing to the suicide girl) to the T-888 she deactivated by removing the processor.

Spare parts? Replacement parts would be hard to come by.

Great episode. We finally had a look at the machinery that sends people and Terminators back.

Lord Malakite
02-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Spare parts? Replacement parts would be hard to come by.
I doubt keeping the processor and coltan has anything to do with spare/replacement parts like the ziplock baggies of preserved flesh might. If it did it would of made more sense to chop shop and store the deactivated T-888 skeleton rather than melting it. The processor she kept was the main CPU chip, or "brain" of the T-888. If Cameron's processor was damaged in the future, switching the chip would do squat for Cameron as she'd be (more or less) brain dead. All that would accomplish is reactivating the T-888's brain with Cameron's body. And as for the coltan, it was in a raw material solid bar form. For the coltan to be of any use to Cameron as spare parts it would require proper manufacturing and fabrication, which is probably beyond Cameron's abilities without drawing attention. Besides that, it appears like she only kept an insignificant amount of the material (only one or two bars that she could easily hide on her person, like the processor, without it being noticed) to be of much use.

decadentdave
02-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Wow, what a great episode. Best story since T1. They are really tying the Future War stuff together. 600 series rubber skin Terminators to boot. I thought I would hate this show now I can't wait for Monday nights. And Cameron is a freaking scary robot. This is my new favorite show.

jonthejedi
02-20-2008, 04:42 AM
I've been waiting for a Future War segment, and the last episode surpassed my expectations. Great finally seeing the time displacement room. I'll give them points for really trying to stick to the continuity of the films.

Devo
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
I've been waiting for a Future War segment, and the last episode surpassed my expectations. Great finally seeing the time displacement room. I'll give them points for really trying to stick to the continuity of the films.

Well, not T3. I don't care what they say this show is replacing T3. T3 strongly gives the impression that John connor hasn't seen a Terminator since the events of T2, when in this show he clearly has. Furthermore the show has Sarah and John skipping forward to 2007 - I'm pretty sure T3 took place in the year the film was actually made - so unless the show intends to have them return to their own time this doesn't fit together. And this show shouldn't acknowledge T3 because that film's approach was parody and self-mockery while the show is taking the route of drama and seriousness.

Episode 6 was great. Thats how you make nods to the classic originating films not the bull they forced on us with T3 like the unrealistic, played for laughs coincidence of Dr Silverman showing up again. If Sarah connor chronicles carries on like this its gonna get cancelled - this would be funny if weren't so likely.

Lord Malakite
02-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Well, not T3. I don't care what they say this show is replacing T3. T3 strongly gives the impression that John connor hasn't seen a Terminator since the events of T2, when in this show he clearly has. Furthermore the show has Sarah and John skipping forward to 2007 - I'm pretty sure T3 took place in the year the film was actually made - so unless the show intends to have them return to their own time this doesn't fit together.
If you go back a few pages you'll see that I loosely mentioned the same issues. I also provided a link where the show execs pretty much come out and confirm that the TV series is canon with T1 & T2, but out of canon with T3. ;)

Tycho
02-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Actually, Devo is right about the Connors' time travel trip changing the history that was laid down by T3.

It does. Cameron can have knowledge of those events, so it doesn't "erase the movie" that way, but it no longer is real to Sarah and John, nor do they really know much about it.

Pretty cool, huh? It allows for both those who liked and didn't like T3 to "win their argument."

Kidhuman
02-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Pretty solid show tonight. Spoilers ahead for the West Coasters

I love how they worked the doctor ack in. That was great. The guy really flipped the hellout though. Tying Ellison up and stabbing him was insane. I wonder, now that Ellison believes Sarah and knows she is alive, what he will do. Will he help or still hunt her down? r maybe a little of both

I think Cameron is saving these parts for the future. To help John somehow. I dont know why, just thought of it while watching it tonight.

I cant believe its over next week. 2 Hour finale. Any word if its been picked up for next season yet?

Tycho
02-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I can't believe the darn show is "ending." I hope there will be another season. This was darn great television.

Everyone remember that next week is a 2 hr episode that starts at 8pm!

Dang I love this show. It makes me watch my Terminator movies over and over again, too.

Interesting how they showcased Summer Glau's ballet ability tonight. But it was also creepy watching her and buying into the character that she's a machine and that they can so replace us and even mimick our art.

The show is also so dark. Every other typical show would have heroes saving people like the ballet instructor and her brother, but on this show, they're terminated. Cameron indifferently dismisses it, "Yeah. But I didn't need to kill them myself. That wasn't my mission."

She IS cold!

I still wonder what the relationship between Derek Reese and Cameron will be revealed to be. Next week looks like a lot of cool SWAT team action. Did you guys see the bloody swimming pool with all the dead cops floating in red water?

This show is something else!

figrin bran
02-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I can't believe the darn show is "ending." I hope there will be another season. This was darn great television.

Everyone remember that next week is a 2 hr episode that starts at 8pm!

Dang I love this show. It makes me watch my Terminator movies over and over again, too.

Interesting how they showcased Summer Glau's ballet ability tonight. But it was also creepy watching her and buying into the character that she's a machine and that they can so replace us and even mimick our art.

The show is also so dark. Every other typical show would have heroes saving people like the ballet instructor and her brother, but on this show, they're terminated. Cameron indifferently dismisses it, "Yeah. But I didn't need to kill them myself. That wasn't my mission."

She IS cold!

Only from a certain human point of view. :p At least she's consistent with that as she adamantly told John not to intervene with the girl who jumped off the school building.

This show is something else!

It's not bad but nowhere near Heroes or Battlestar Galactica or Lost, if you ask me.

Lord Malakite
02-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Every other typical show would have heroes saving people like the ballet instructor and her brother, but on this show, they're terminated. Cameron indifferently dismisses it, "Yeah. But I didn't need to kill them myself. That wasn't my mission."

She IS cold!
I'll agree with the cold part. What made it particularily cold wasn't so much the fact that she didn't help them (like the suicide girl), it was the fact that she lied and made them believe that she was going to help them before she turned her back.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-27-2008, 01:00 PM
The parts with Cameron were the best parts I thought. The part with Silverman (sp?) rubbed me the wrong way as him being crazy was just silly to me. And he didn't look ANYTHING like the doctor from T2. I know they're building their own story here, but c'mon, not even close to the original actor.

I am also curious what Cameron is doing with those chips and parts. And next weeks episode looks pretty insane with (as tycho mentioned), that swimming pool full of dead SWAT guys. :thumbsup:

decadentdave
02-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I don't trust Cameron. Letting those Russkies die was cold. She knows that Sarah and John would never have approved of her actions. May not have been in her programming but she knows better. There is definitely something unsettling and creepy about her. I don't trust her. She could be an Infiltrator unit programmed to serve John until her primary objective is completed.

As for Silberman, didn't bother me. I was surprised to see Bruce Davison. Guys been around a long time. I remember when he played John Langley in a few episodes of V: The Series. He's definitely aged since then. Would have been nice to have the original actor from the films reprise his role but then again, none of the original actors are playing their characters. It's bad enough that we have Brian Austin Green playing Derek Reese. Looks nothing like Michael Biehn.

The one thing that would make this show rule though would be to have Robert Patrick guest star as the T-1000 again. Just think of all of the effects they could use. Silberman even mentioned him as being like mercury. Wouldn't that be awesome if the alternate timeline had skewed the destination of the T-1000 and he shows up? I would crap my pants.

Tycho
02-27-2008, 01:17 PM
That is a good idea DecadentDave. The last 2 movie Terminators, the 1000 and the TX have proved almost impossible to beat. They are very scary robots indeed!

decadentdave
02-27-2008, 01:31 PM
The creepy thing is, at the beginning of the episode when Cameron pulls up on the police bike she even LOOKED like the T-1000! I almost dropped a load right then. That was a nice little homage to T2. Now if they only WOULD bring back the T-1000.

OC47150
02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
I found this to be a weird episode. Weird, as in, was it necessary?

The Silberman storyline was ... uh.

I did think it was funny that Ellis kept the robotic hand in the freezer, next to the burger patties and ice cream! ::squareeye

Very nice homage to T2 at the beginning.

Tycho
03-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Wow. The scene where Derek Reese brought John to the park to meet the little boy that would be his father actually made me cry.

They were great back-to-back episodes tonight, but I think that scene stole it!

Lord Malakite
03-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Wow. The scene where Derek Reese brought John to the park to meet the little boy that would be his father actually made me cry.

They were great back-to-back episodes tonight, but I think that scene stole it!

That was probably the best scene out of both episodes. Not only was it an important meeting for John to have, it also showed that Derek wasn't completely oblivious to the fact that John is really his nephew. We also got a few other nice suprises. We got the destroyed/unamed T-888's cover name (Vic Chamberlain) and we got the TV show's date for Judgement Day (April 21, 2011), which contradicts T3's date for Judgement Day (July 25, 2004 5:18 pm Eastern Time) and seems to put away any possibility (barring some bizarre time travel fiasco) of the TV show and T3 existing in the same canon universe as you wanted Tycho.

By the way Tycho, with how the finale episode ended I think Cameron may need that (as you called it "gross") skin patch job now for her boo boo. lol

Tycho
03-04-2008, 03:13 AM
You don't understand: T3 happened in a different timeline, in a different future. It once existed, but it no longer does.

We actually agree, but we arrived at the same conclusion differently, and I don't think you understand it the same way I do. No worries though.

As to Derek - he was sometimes a threatening character, as he was fully capable of killing - as he took out Andy Good and handled that mission his way - but now knowing that he knows the Connors are more than his friends and allies, but his immediate family - I'd believe in his uncompromising loyalty.

Unfortunately, that may mean that he'll die next season. Or, they might add him to the show's permanent ensemble cast, too. I like him in the father-figure-to-John-role. He literally IS the closest thing John could have to his real dad, and the "Uncle Bob" T-800 he'd bonded to before was destroyed.

No, Derek Reese is a great character and I hope he sticks around.

OC47150
03-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Good episodes.

I was just waiting for Cameron to come walking out of the flames.

Derek showing John the Reese boys playing ball was a nice birthday present.

decadentdave
03-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Good episodes.

I was just waiting for Cameron to come walking out of the flames.

Derek showing John the Reese boys playing ball was a nice birthday present.

Yes, that was a great scene. But now that Judgment Day has been skewed further into the future, shouldn't that change the paradox? Derek said that he and Kyle were kids when the bombs fell, in T1 Kyle told Sarah that he never saw the war, he grew up after in the ruins, so already the events of the Future War have been changed.

As for Cameron, she'll be back. ;)

Kidhuman
03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
It changes the Paradox, but probably not the memories that they hold as they already lived it.

Tycho
03-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, a scene of Cameron walking out of the flames ala T-1000 in T2 would be cool.

Derek said that he and Kyle were kids when the bombs fell, in T1 Kyle told Sarah that he never saw the war, he grew up after in the ruins, so already the events of the Future War have been changed.

Derek also said that he couldn't really explain to young Kyle what had happened either. Kyle may not have known, but there wasn't "a war" until the Resistance got organized. Skynet simply decided to vaporize the human race - and launched the missles. There was no one to fight really. Skynet was into all the computer systems, alive in the internet, etc. To finish the job, Skynet built armies of HKs and Terminators. To have a war, the Resistance had to spring up to fight them.

With this whole thing, that's why I wonder if the original John Connor wasn't someone else's son (with Sarah) since it sounds like in the future, he might have been the same age, or even older than his own father.

Now I wonder if part of that is if the EMT that Sarah had fallen for might've been John's father and that explains his "soul's" attachment to him, but the 1997 date for Judgement Day and Kyle Reese's intervention changed all that.

Let's say Sarah was 20 years old in 1984 when T1 took place. She'd be 33 in 1997 when she was fated to become a mother with the EMT, perhaps? Their boy would be named John, but she didn't have a chance to marry, so John took his mother's maiden name, Connor.

But Skynet attacked. Then in 1984 the timeline was re-opened, and Kyle was sent back by John (the EMT's son) to protect his mother, once they determined that the 1984 Sarah was Skynet's target. Kyle inadvertently became John's father (a different John in the way that he had a different father).

It's the only way I can explain this. I met Arnold once - at Comic Con before he became governor. I tried to have him explain this, but he probably couldn't, but was just friendly, passed the buck, and said I should go watch T3 and all my questions would be answered. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Sarah's actions in T2 at Cyberdyne just delayed Judgement Day from 1997 to 2011.

decadentdave
03-05-2008, 07:47 PM
No Tycho, in T1 Sarah was referring specifically to Judgment Day. She asked Kyle if he had seen it.

KYLE: "There was a nuclear war. A few years from now, this place... this whole place... everything... it's gone. Just... gone."

SARAH: "Did you see this war?"

KYLE: "No. I grew up after, in the ruins. Starving. Hiding from HK's."

So the scene with Kyle and Derek looking up at the sky and watching the ICBM's rocket through the sky didn't happen in the T1 timeline.

Tycho
03-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, we just don't agree. It's not the facts we dispute - it's the interpretation of them.

I know the same lines you quoted and just watched those movies again. You're recitation is accurate. That's just not the issue.

The way you could be correct is that if Sarah delayed Judgement Day from 1997 to 2011 by her actions in T2, then in that new timeline there, Kyle was old enough to see the war. Therefore events in T2 negated some events in T1 - and the movies are even set up thus so.

decadentdave
03-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Sarah and Kyle's conversation in T1 specifically make reference to Judgment Day, the nuclear war. In the original timeline, Kyle was not even born when it happened. The events of T2 skewed the timeline a few years according to the continuity of T3 it was delayed from 1997 until 2003 I believe. Then it got delayed even further until 2011 according to the events of SCC. Derek told John he celebrated his 30th birthday with him on his 16th birthday which is only 14 years from present. Now, Sarah, John and Cameron went through the time displacement and leaped into the present future so John is still the same age relative to what it was, now suddenly he has advanced in the altered timeline. That's not to say they won't travel back to their original year of departure at some point in the show but it does change the order of events already. Kyle and Derek were children when Judgment Day happens in 2011. They will grow up after the sufferage and the Rise of the Machines and become part of the human resistance but now that effects the Future War timeline in episode 6 when John sends Kyle back. It could happen much later now. The pre-destination paradox dictates that he must go back or John will never be. As for the EMT guy, I just see him as another surrogate father for John i.e. Todd Voight in T2. If there is any bonding I see it happening with his uncle Derek, although I am beginning to suspect something may happen between Derek and Sarah. In any case I would suspect that Derek dies before the war since we have no reference of him in the films, it's a good bet he his fated to die, like his brother, in the past.

Tycho
03-07-2008, 04:50 AM
On the Sarah Connor boards on MySpace several are saying Christian Bale has been approached to play John Connor in T4 with The Rock as a Terminator?

What's this? Is there any truth to it?

Isn't Christian Bale too old to play John, btw?

decadentdave
03-07-2008, 11:54 AM
The next Terminator trilogy is about the Future War with Christian Bale playing the adult John Connor. I really hope the Rock isn't the Terminator, I can't take him seriously. Last I heard, Josh Brolin was in talks to play the Terminator.

OC47150
04-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Although it's not official, it looks like a second season will be coming out way!!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080420a.php

Kidhuman
04-21-2008, 06:12 AM
I figured this would continue, it had really good ratings. I hope they change the time slot though, Mondays, 9pm is Heroes time

Tycho
04-21-2008, 12:32 PM
My missing this show being on right now got me to watch T2 last night.

It was a darn good movie. Robert Patrick did a good job as the T-1000, btw.

He was a very unique and different kind of "villain."

Kill 'em with kindness, eh?

It seems like the T-1000 is more advanced than the TX even, or Cameron.

Any opinions on that? And why?

sith_killer_99
04-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I downloaded the episodes off limewire, since I have no access to real television.

Anyway, the pilot wasn't all that, IMO. But the series has really developed over the course of so few episodes. I am excited to see it will likely get picked up for another season.

I felt the same way about the Bionic Woman, but it looks like that one's dead.:(

Isn't Christian Bale too old to play John, btw?

I suppose it depend on when the film takes place. I do hope they decide to stick with some continuity from the television series. If so, then the new film would have to take place about 15-20 years from now.

And I agree, the Rock would be bad for the part.:Pirate:

Tycho
04-24-2008, 02:33 AM
The DVD set is coming out in August!!!

Whoo-hoo!

This from MySpace TSCC group:

Thereís at least three commentaries out of the nine episodes, including a pilot commentary, one on the finale, one on the future episode, so we did a bunch of those. There are some mini-docs, weíve got some good stuff. I think itís gonna be really cool. We had Summer (Glau), Thomas (Dekker), Lena (Headey), (director) David Nutter, James (Middleton) and some of the other writers and Brian (Austin Green) also. We all did commentaries, so thereís some good stuff on it. I like it.

The Future Wars episode rocked with special effects that topped even other shows of TSCC. The Hunter-Killers looked very real and were just awesome on screen!

Most of that show's effects are stunt or make-up oriented. The digital stuff they had to do for the Future Wars was like movie quality! (and even better than movie quality if you compared it with T1 and T2 because the advances in effects technology, obviously).

OC47150
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Fox has started showing previews for next season. I won't spoil it for you all who haven't seen them, but it offers some very interesting possibilities, storywise.

Tycho
07-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Cool. I love that show! Season 1 will be available on DVD in September I guess.

I will buy it (and probably watch the whole thing) the first day it's made available.

Tycho
08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm starting the new thread for Season 2!

I just got the first season on DVD but haven't had the chance to watch them yet (I'm finally finishing with Young Indy first).

So we'll have this thread to discuss the DVDs if anyone wants, and Season 2 to move on. The Future Is Now. There is No Fate but what we make.