PDA

View Full Version : Should I feel bad?

DarthQuack
11-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Just wondering how bad I am for what happened to me at Target today.

I had picked up the special tac ops figure and the Shadow trooper as well. I was at the checkout line with the figures back to back and the cashier, and elderly woman scanned both of them at the same time and only the price of the 5 dollar figure picked up and she put them both in the bag. I'm sure most of you can see where this is going to go. So I just picked up the bag and walked out after only paying for one of them. Who else would have done the same thing as I did. I figure after all the figures I have bought a freebie hopefully won't send me to hell. Any input?

scruffziller
11-11-2005, 02:56 PM
You should return to the store with the receipt and say that you only got charged for one and pay for it. If you knew about it while it was happening, it is still stealing any way you slice it. You should only feel bad if you don't remedy the problem. This should be a Rancor pit thread because there are other things I would need to say.

JediTricks
11-11-2005, 03:21 PM
You were not duplicitous, you didn't hide it in a laundry basket you were buying or something stupid like that, the employee is the one who made the mistake and therefore you didn't steal anything. Should you feel bad that you didn't help her do her job right? Yeah, probably, but you aren't obligated to. If you take the cashier angle out of the discussion, if they had sent you this in the mail without charging you, by law it is their problem and not yours, so the morality IMO is purely about that elderly cashier making a mistake - which I might add there's virtually no chance she'll even know about or get in trouble for since they don't KNOW she is the one that caused this item's shrinkage.

2-1B
11-11-2005, 06:29 PM
I agree with what JT said . . . if people don't care enough to do their job well, it's not your responsibility to do it for them. :grin:

"Shoplifting is a victimless crime."
- that guy from the Simpsons whose name escapes me, is it Jimbo ? lol lol lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Pointing out this error will make the old biddy feel bad, so I say don't do it. :D

Really though, if you're even considering paying for it, then you should do it.

Darth Jax
11-11-2005, 09:40 PM
i would probably point out to the cashier that they missed an item as i was checking out. i have no problems playing dumb when items don't scan and the cashier gives them a price under retail (half the time you can't be sure what an item costs anyway with the poor shelf tagging). i figure if they're too lazy to have someone check it and the store doesn't care enough to make sure it's merchandise is in it's computer system, it's not my problem. i never really shop at busy times, so a cashier needing to wait on a price check won't back up the check out lines.

Bacta Beast
11-11-2005, 11:46 PM
What seems funny to me is I would bet anyone of us in the same situation would have been more quick to point out the mistake if the price wasn't so outrageous in the first place.:( Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to justify doing the wrong thing. I'm just observing how Target has bred a sense of disenchantment among the customers by being so greedy. :bandit:

Jargo
11-12-2005, 09:34 AM
don't do anything. it's done now. Stores constantly make mistakes and one figure is a drop in the ocean for them. You really want to trek all the way back and have to try and explain what happened without looking like a dweeb? I mean large chain store constantly lose money due to stupid staff right up to management level. How many times do we hear about stores having cases and cases of figures out back that they forget about only to end up shoving them out at clearance prices.
I wouldn't feel bad at all.

Course, if you yourself have a problem with manic guilt tripping then return and pay for it. will you be able to sleep tonight without going back to cough up the difference? if the answer is yes then leave it as it stands.

InsaneJediGirl
11-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm with JT and Jargo. Customer service would probably come in and think you are nuts to begin with. Its the cashiers fault and stores normally have a built in loss factor anyways.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-12-2005, 11:29 AM
sorry, but I would have said something at the counter right when it was happening...it is the right thing to do!

DarthQuack
11-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input. I am usually the first one to point something like that out, but this is the first time I haven't. I figure if I go back now, they might think I tried to shoplift with it and I wouldn't want to open up another can of worms with how they would react to that. I figure when I go to church tomorrow I'll just put the amount of money that cost for that figure in the collection. Not to say that will take away the bad deed that I did, but it won't hurt.

JediTricks
11-12-2005, 02:00 PM
sorry, but I would have said something at the counter right when it was happening...it is the right thing to do!
I addressed that in my original post, but that's in the past now, no practical application can be achieved from it anymore in this specific instance. In fact, if he goes back with his receipt and says "this cashier didn't charge me", that cashier may end up getting in trouble.

If you want to try to make it "right", go back and buy another one, then auction it off on ebay and give 100% of the proceeds to charity. That way you've paid for your Shadow Trooper and the other one ends up with proceeds going to a worthy cause.

(Normally I would have said "donate it to toys for tots", but I'm heavily against donating collectible-quality toys to toy charities because I'm concerned that an unscrupulous worker will pilfer it for themselves, that's why I mangle the cards or bubbles of my SW figure donations just enough to make them not worth the trouble for any collector, but I don't think this item would ever make it to a kid in any condition.)

Deoxyribonucleic
11-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I addressed that in my original post, but that's in the past now, no practical application can be achieved from it anymore in this specific instance. In fact, if he goes back with his receipt and says "this cashier didn't charge me", that cashier may end up getting in trouble.

If you want to try to make it "right", go back and buy another one, then auction it off on ebay and give 100% of the proceeds to charity. That way you've paid for your Shadow Trooper and the other one ends up with proceeds going to a worthy cause.

(Normally I would have said "donate it to toys for tots", but I'm heavily against donating collectible-quality toys to toy charities because I'm concerned that an unscrupulous worker will pilfer it for themselves, that's why I mangle the cards or bubbles of my SW figure donations just enough to make them not worth the trouble for any collector, but I don't think this item would ever make it to a kid in any condition.)

He asked our opinions...should he feel bad? I gave mine. Past tense "I would have said something at the counter..." suggests that if "I" were in this situation "I" would have said something and because "I" did not say anything and knew that this was happening, YES I WOULD FEEL BAD! It has NOTHING to do with the present or the future! But being myself, I know I would have said something at the time!

No offense JT and there is sincerity in this post, but just because you "addressed it" in your post, doesn't mean there is no significance to my post or that anyone else is NOT allowed to give their opinions about the situation since you "addressed it" already.

p.s. it's not "practical application" that this thread is about anyway, it is titled "SHOULD I FEEL BAD?" And I repeat...if it were me that had been in that situation, Yes, I would feel bad if I had done what DQ had done.

:)

JediTricks
11-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Geez Deoxy, get up on the wrong side of the RNA this morning? (that's a science joke, for the uninitiated :D) I was just saying that while I had already said something on the issue previously, I was expounding on my opinion of the matter as it related to what I read in your post.

He asked our opinions...should he feel bad? I gave mine. Past tense "I would have said something at the counter..." suggests that if "I" were in this situation "I" would have said something and because "I" did not say anything and knew that this was happening, YES I WOULD FEEL BAD! It has NOTHING to do with the present or the future! But being myself, I know I would have said something at the time!Actually, the thread title asks whether he should feel bad, not whether any of us should have felt bad, that makes it present tense, i.e. "should he feel bad now for the action he already took". And he asks whether any of us would have done the same as he did, but his only question about the feelings is in regard to whether or not HE should feel bad, not whether WE would feel bad - and again might I add, in my initial post I *did* say he should probably feel bad so it's not like I'm trying to negate you, you don't need to yell and freak out at me. :p

plasticfetish
11-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Mommy, Daddy... don't fight. :crazed: (She did use a smilie in her post BTW.)
If you want to try to make it "right", go back and buy another one, then...Or heck, go do 'em a big favor and buy a few of those lame Lava figures. That should make you about even.

-----

But seriously, I've had the same thing happen at Target and other stores. If I catch the mistake while the person is ringing it up, I'll say something... but I'll be damned if I'm going to walk back into the store and "fix" things after I've left.

Should you feel bad? Well... maybe. You saw the mistake happen and didn't speak up. Should you let it keep you awake at night? No. Next time it happens, and it will, you can speak up then.

DarthQuack
11-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks again for the comments. I love my furry forum friends. I will probably go back and pick up a couple of the lava figures.

James Boba Fettfield
11-12-2005, 10:04 PM
How many Hail Marys?

A thousand! And I want you to hit yourself!

bobafrett
11-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Working in retail, I see it happen all the time. Not that we (me or other cashiers) try to not ring up an item, sometimes we just miss this. We had a group of my fellow associates on break, and we had all had similar instances happen be it at a grocery store, or a retail chain store. A majority agreed , if the cashier under rings, or misses product all together, then it is not the fault of the customer. I would let it eat at me for about a day, then, no worries!

2-1B
11-13-2005, 02:40 AM
I figure when I go to church tomorrow I'll just put the amount of money that cost for that figure in the collection.

Now THAT sounds foolish. :)
Target already took the hit so why should your church get an extra 13 bucks toward their next utility bill ? Makes no sense to me. Hell, give ME the money and I'll put it to better use.

But if you still feel the need to donate this money, and that is commendable of you to want to do so, I suggest the following:

take that $13 BACK to Target and buy a DIFFERENT toy and then donate THAT one to a toys for tots type thing like JT suggested. Then there's not the "collectible" issue like he wisely pointed out, you won't have the "guilt" of the free figure on your conscience anymore, and on top of that Target gets another sale which lessens the hit they have taken. :)

I think both parties come out ahead there and a little kid will benefit as well. Win/win/win :)

scruffziller
11-13-2005, 06:37 AM
But I ask, would you feel the same way if this happened at SirSteves Corner Toy Store? Is indirect stealing of any degree only okay when it happens to a big conglomerate like Target? Regardless of how much evil they may have done. Last I checked, it was not my job to assign discressions to integrity or take moral laws into my own hands, regardless of belief system. I think the golden rule says it all. If I want people to be honest with me, I have to be honest with them. Even if they don't deserve it.

But the other guys made a point that I should expand on. I would say it is too late to do what I suggested. But next time if it happens, do the right thing. Repent from doing it again.

Turbowars
11-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Now THAT sounds foolish. :)
Target already took the hit so why should your church get an extra 13 bucks toward their next utility bill ? Makes no sense to me. Hell, give ME the money and I'll put it to better use.Thank you Caesar. If your Catholic just go to confession.:twisted:

Honestly when I go to Target I usually spent $60-100 each time and if this happened to me I wouldn't have even noticed. Now If I was only buying 2-3 things and I knew one item was 13 bucks I would have noticed and my big mouth would had opened and said wow why's it so low? Then the cashier would pull the crap out of the bag and figure it out.

If I was in this situation and I went home knowing, every time I looked at that figure I would think, that's the one I got for free. So what you need to do is go buy more of the Shadow troopers and then you wouldn't know which one you got the discount on. :D

sith_killer_99
11-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Yes, I recommend the "SK99 SW Collector Charity". It's not a very big organization but 100% of the proceeds go directly to benefit the charity and you will have the peace of mind knowing exactly where it is going and who it is benefiting. Plus, if you would like I can e-mail you a photo of your adopted SK99 SW Collector.:D ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
11-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Geez Deoxy, get up on the wrong side of the RNA this morning? (that's a science joke, for the uninitiated :D) I was just saying that while I had already said something on the issue previously, I was expounding on my opinion of the matter as it related to what I read in your post.

Actually, the thread title asks whether he should feel bad, not whether any of us should have felt bad, that makes it present tense, i.e. "should he feel bad now for the action he already took". And he asks whether any of us would have done the same as he did, but his only question about the feelings is in regard to whether or not HE should feel bad, not whether WE would feel bad - and again might I add, in my initial post I *did* say he should probably feel bad so it's not like I'm trying to negate you, you don't need to yell and freak out at me. :p

No offense JT and there is sincerity in this post,

Guess you missed this part eh? I knew you were going to feel "attacked" that's why I put that there since there's no way to put tone into a post...but alas, you missed it. No worries...end of story...too petty to be arguing over something like this.

JediTricks
11-13-2005, 06:35 PM
But I ask, would you feel the same way if this happened at SirSteves Corner Toy Store? Is indirect stealing of any degree only okay when it happens to a big conglomerate like Target? Regardless of how much evil they may have done. Because large retailers push more volume past their employees leading to 2 choices, pay the workers more to pay better attention to the higher volume (which also means paying managers more to ensure the company is getting their increased money's worth on this), or accept that employees will make a small amount of mistakes and factor those small losses into the business model, which they do. It's part of being a large retailer. Also, large retailers take the intimacy out of the customer relationship, so they should (or perhaps do) expect the same in return from the customers.

BTW, I don't think of Target as evil, not anywhere as much as I do WM, Target does seem to pay their employees better than WM and has cleaner stores and doesn't push small businesses out as much as WM. My opinions on this matter have nothing to do with "good" and "evil".

Working in retail, I see it happen all the time. Not that we (me or other cashiers) try to not ring up an item, sometimes we just miss this. We had a group of my fellow associates on break, and we had all had similar instances happen be it at a grocery store, or a retail chain store. A majority agreed , if the cashier under rings, or misses product all together, then it is not the fault of the customer.That's how we did it when I worked at the supermarket too, and if anything scanned too low, after ensuring there was no funny business with the UPC we were to give it to the customer at the lower price, even if it rang up 0.00. I think this may have actually been a local or state law.

Yes, I recommend the "SK99 SW Collector Charity". It's not a very big organization but 100% of the proceeds go directly to benefit the charity and you will have the peace of mind knowing exactly where it is going and who it is benefiting. Plus, if you would like I can e-mail you a photo of your adopted SK99 SW Collector.Is this a reputable charity? Is Sally Struthers involved? :D

Guess you missed this part eh? I knew you were going to feel "attacked" that's why I put that there since there's no way to put tone into a post...but alas, you missed it. No worries...end of story...too petty to be arguing over something like this.I didn't miss it, I was replying to the substance of your comments as they related to mine, that's all. As for tone, I find it helps to throw around the smilies. ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
11-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Jedi Tricks...

I would like to make a formal apology for acting so stupid! I do believe you called it right in that I woke up on the wrong side of the RNA :) I've been sick, medicated and cranky and "locked" up in my home for too long, I am going stir crazy and I took something personally which wasn't even meant as anything. It's not normaly my style to be that way and I do apologize to you my friend and to anybody who had to read my stupid posts! I was also looking through threads and reading so much crap, people yelling at other people, calling each other names and it just got to me and I fell in. I hate being negative and thank the maker it doesn't happen to me often! I look forward to reading posts here and really care for alot of people on this here forum.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

JediTricks
11-14-2005, 03:49 PM
No worries, I'm sure I contributed to the misunderstanding too, I would not hold you in lesser regard for it. Hope you feel better soon, being sick sucks. :(

2-1B
11-15-2005, 12:26 PM
I've been sick, medicated and cranky and "locked" up in my home for too long, I am going stir crazy

the perfect RX ? 6 movie SW Saga Marathon ! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Slicker
11-15-2005, 03:11 PM
the perfect RX ? 6 movie SW Saga Marathon ! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:It must work. Look how normal Caesar is!!:thumbsup:

As for the topic. I'll be honest and say that I read the first couple of posts then skipped to the end so I don't if the issue has been remedied. On that note I wouldn't take it back after the fact but you should've said something at the register. I've had this happen to me numerous times (Ok only 3 that I can think of but still...) and I've said something at the register and one time it was for 2 VOTC figs at full price!! It's just something inside of me that wouldn't feel right and that somehow the cashier would get blamed and either a) charged for the product or b) fired. I don't want to be a part of either of those since I can well afford anything that I take to register or else I wouldn't be there in the first place.

I'll play Star Wars geek and say, "You must do what you feel is right, of course"

2-1B
11-16-2005, 12:19 AM
It must work. Look how normal Caesar is!!:thumbsup:

*looks around at the other freaks on these forums*
When in Rome. lol

As for the topic. I'll be honest and say that I read the first couple of posts then skipped to the end so I don't if the issue has been remedied.

WHAT ? :eek:

Go back and read the rest of the thread, you missed the part where DarthQuack talks about how Target found out and had the cops pick him up !

Bacta Beast
11-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Y'know, I actually went back and read all the post to see if that really happened!!!!!:cross-eye You're a monster!:Ogre: And I'm so gullible.:rolleyes:

JediTricks
11-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Tycho
11-27-2005, 01:23 PM
OK, due to the elder cashier's sinility, we can determine that this was a True Mistake.

However, because of the figure in question is just a fancy repaint, with superfluous packaging, we can label this a False Action Figure. Thus its inflated worth is a False Price.

By paying the extra amount belatedly, you would be over-paying its False Worth and while $5 does not correspond to its DCPI, it would approximate its True Value.

You would have to prove the existence of Hell, God, or that God helped write the 10 Commandments and "Thou shallt not steal" etc. to know for certain you have sinned against the Target Corporation.

By law, you have committed a True Crime and could be prosecuted for it though. I'm not sure if a True Christian here on the boards will turn you in to secular law however. They believe doing time in secular prison is a False Penance while Satan is waiting to recieve your soul.

Meanwhile I am tired and losing my ability to write more nonsense. I'll sign off for a while. Hope I helped someone laugh.